Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stories in Parts

Go down 
+3
InsideOutlaw
stormr
Penski
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:30 am

Lately there seems to be several long stories with chapters or parts that the authors chooses to post separately.

Do you like the suspense of reading one part at a time?

Does it aggravate you when authors do this?

Why or why not?

======================

From Remuda

Interesting topic, Penski! I do not at all like when stories are posted in parts. Too many times I've started reading, enjoy the story, and then find it is incomplete. Then, many authors lose interest and do not finish it. Therefore, now, I first see whether it is complete, and if so, I might read it. If not, forget it.

Another thing I'd be interested to know is why it's even necessary to post an incomplete story -- I just don't see any advantage in it. Too often, when writing, a story takes a turn other than what was originally envisioned or intended, and changes need to be made to an earlier part if it is to make sense. If it's already posted and needs to be taken down to make a change, it's grossly unfair to a reader who has already invested time in reading it to have to go back and acquaint themselves with a possibly entirely new aspect of it.

Just my opinion perhaps, but I've heard from many others who feel the same way.

======================

From Ghislaine Emrys

I don't like stories posted in parts, either. I have heard that sometimes a writer thinks a story is too long to be published as a single story; however, most websites allow for posting in chapters so it is possible to divide a story into manageable segments. That gives readers the choice to read it all at once or to do so more slowly, but at least the story is all there. Also, if a story is published piece by piece, often considerable time passes before the next part is published, necessitating a reread of the previous segment, which I don't necessarily mind (I mean, it IS ASJ!) but, when my free time is limited, I'd sometimes rather not have to go back and do that.

It's interesting, though, when you think about it: Nowadays, we want instant gratification! What about TV shows that are serials or mini-series? Do you avoid them for the same reason that you avoid fanfic posted in parts? I avidly watched 24 week by week, and of course that show was notorious for its cliffhangers. And I didn't mind that at all. And I was just looking something up about Great Expectations (for a real life issue) and was reminded that Dickens' works were all initially published in serial form. So was, sort of, Harry Potter; most of which I really enjoyed. So is it just ASJ in serial form that is a problem or is it in general?

======================

From Remuda

What about TV shows that are serials or mini-series? Do you avoid them for the same reason that you avoid fanfic posted in parts? And I was just looking something up about Great Expectations (for a real life issue) and was reminded that Dickens' works were all initially published in serial form. So was, sort of, Harry Potter; most of which I really enjoyed. So is it just ASJ in serial form that is a problem or is it in general?

I guess it's fanfic mostly that I avoid in serial form, because there's no guarantee the writer will finish the story. With TV shows or even professionally published material, it's different, because you know those will air or appear as advertised -- you just have to know when the next part is available so you can tune in or get the printed work. However, that said, I definitely prefer something that finishes in one sitting, no matter the medium -- the exception being a book, because it is complete and you can read it at your own pace as it suits your schedule.

======================

From beejaycat

I think sometimes a writer thinks it will help to post an incomplete story because the idea is they will have to finish it. But then real life intervenes or the inspiration is gone. I know I thought i would just have to complete HH Through the Mirror after I put part of it up and then...stupid as it sounds when you lose interest in a story you sort of think-aw-if I've lost interest anyone unfortunagte enough to have read it has lost interest too. But then HH isn't really a story in the uh er-well real definition of a story. (hey-I'm only partly serious here).

I happen to love a cliffhanger--especially when a serial is really tense. Speaking of which: Has anybody watched Sherlock? Oh my goodness(and not bad to look at either-I think y'all know what I mean by that.)

Have you Brits seen season 2?--we only had season 1 or part of season one here(I really don't know how many stories are in a season of the show. If you have do not tell me what happens!! Moriarity is freaky, but I can wait.

Dickens and Dumas both wrote their books in serial format. They were real masters of leaving you hanging. Dumas especially. When I was 13 I stayed up all night reading Twenty Years After because most of the chapters were cliffhangers. I remember wishing I could stay home from school the next day so I could finish it. The next morning we had the big Sylmar Quake. I've felt guilty for years.

======================

From Fortitudine

I'd prefer to read the entire story in one go; but if it's well-written (particularly if it's from a writer I know), then I'm willing to be patient.

======================

From Countryrosie

I don't mind stories being done in parts as long as it's finished. Nothing like reading a story and then not getting to finish it. I feel like if your going to start something finish it please. I do understand that life can interfer with story writting but at least maybe post a note saying you will finish when life gets back to normal for you.

======================

From EleanorW

Reply to Remuda

Interesting topic, Penski! I do not at all like when stories are posted in parts. Too many times I've started reading, enjoy the story, and then find it is incomplete. Then, many authors lose interest and do not finish it. Therefore, now, I first see whether it is complete, and if so, I might read it. If not, forget it.

Another thing I'd be interested to know is why it's even necessary to post an incomplete story -- I just don't see any advantage in it. Too often, when writing, a story takes a turn other than what was originally envisioned or intended, and changes need to be made to an earlier part if it is to make sense. If it's already posted and needs to be taken down to make a change, it's grossly unfair to a reader who has already invested time in reading it to have to go back and acquaint themselves with a possibly entirely new aspect of it.

Just my opinion perhaps, but I've heard from many others who feel the same way.

You wrote exactly my thoughts, Remuda! I too skip over any stories that are posted in parts, or unfinished. If I settle down to read something, I want to read it all, not have to wait weeks, months, or even years, to find out how it ends. Very frustrating! And, as you say, I don't see any advantage to posting stories in parts because, as has been commented, often a story will go off at a tangent from the original idea that will necessitate re-writes to the earlier part.

======================

From StormR

The only story I like to read in parts is one that can be a stand alone story. I guess that would be part of a series that could leave you with a cliff hanger wondering whats going to happen in the next installment.

I agree Remuda - why post partial stories. Real life can get in the way. The bunny could hop away or the writer could just plain lose interest. Readers who come along after the fact may not realize that the writer has moved on.

What I really really despise is writers that hold you hostage. If you don't give me good feedback, I wont continue. I ran into a few stories like that when I first started reading everything I could find on the net. Now I skip stories that are incomplete.

======================

From sistergrace

I would agree with StormR on this one. If the story is ONE story, unfinished, I will avoid reading it until it's complete.

However, Karen Sumners' 'Kate' stories or Maz McCoy's Ranch Days and Elizabeth Darkley for instance, are written as a series. Each individual story has its own beginning, middle, end, with a larger theme that carries over to each subsequent story. Those, I have no problem with. In fact, I REALLY enjoy the anticipation of waiting for the next installment.

======================

From FrankieASJ

What they said! I especially agree with Grace's statement about Karen and Maz's series. That's a totally different concept.

I'm feeling bad that I still haven't got around to finishing my Fighting Chance story and apologise to those of you who have read it in the In Progress section. I would never normally post a part written story but was having trouble with it and hoped by posting it would give me the incentive to finish it. Hopefuly one day soon I'll get around to it.

Life, challenges and VS happen and everything else goes to pot sometimes. I'm just happy we're all still here writing!

======================

From GhislaineEmrys

I also agree with Storm (and others) about stories that can stand by themselves while still being part of a series. Frankie--your Outlaws That Wouldn't Quit also falls into that category. The crucial difference, as has been said, is that those stories are complete in and of themselves. Readers become invested in the characters and plots but, if nothing else is ever written to further those plot lines, it's okay--though sad for us!--because each story has closure. But when a story stops in the middle and the plot isn't neatly tied up, when there isn't a satisfactory resolution to the problem or conflict presented in the story, then that is frustrating. That is quite different from writing a sequel, in my opinion, which is what I think Karen Sumners' and Maz's stories are.

I have written stories that were intended to be part of a series but I've learned not to actually state that when posting them, although I may say so elsewhere, precisely because I know how aggravating it can be when. But I also try to make my stories complete so that if I do not get around to completing the series, or it takes seemingly forever, it's okay because readers wouldn't necessarily know there was more to come. What I found interesting was that one of my stand-alone stories generated many comments asking for a continuation of the story, which had never been my intention--I had never even thought of that while writing the story. But I felt compelled to respond so, a long while later, I did post a sequel. So--readers' feedback does have influence, at least on me.

======================

From sistergrace

Reply to FrankieASJ
I'm feeling bad that I still haven't got around to finishing my Fighting Chance story and apologise to those of you who have read it in the In Progress section.

Frankie, in my opinion, the 'In Progress' section of the board is totally different from the posting of a story for public viewing. It's the place where anyone who chooses to read knows that their suggestions and opinions are welcome and because of those shared opinions, the author MAY choose to change everything they've written so far! And, I would assume the readers of those works in progress also understand that they are taking a chance that the author may never finish.

======================

From Remuda

I'm feeling bad that I still haven't got around to finishing my Fighting Chance story and apologise to those of you who have read it in the In Progress section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankie, when I commented that I didn't understand why authors would post incomplete stories at all, and to echo Grace, I did NOT mean the In Progress section. As with you, RL and VS have delayed my getting on with my own in progress story there. I'm sure we'll get back to them after things settle down on the other fronts. I'm speaking to those actually posted to a public site for anyone to read, not a private "in progress" forum. So, please don't feel bad.

Also, to clarify something I said earlier regarding serialized fan fic, I was not referring to the continuing series like Maz's that are complete stories in and of themselves -- because each, as pointed out, IS a complete story. I was talking about those that are to be ONE story -- whether part of a continuing series or not -- that are posted in parts on purpose; those I will not read until, if, and when they are posted as a complete, stand-alone story.

======================

From FrankieASJ

I think what I was trying to say was I don't understand how writers can post only part of a story on a story site. Fighting Chance is 'In Progress' - even it is a very slow progress!! I still feel bad Remuda - as a writer for having an incomplete story and for the reader who wants to know how it all turns out! I'd like to know too!

======================

From beejaycat

I used to be crankier about unfinished stories until I wrote to an author about her co-written fanzine story. I loved this story. Not an internet story, but a published fanzine, never completed. I complimented her on it, and said I was looking forward to the next installment, and hoped she and her co-writer would continue. She wrote back that her co-writer had passed away. I'm a lot more understanding now.

However, these comments have set me thinking. Why not write the author, if she has feedback e-mail, if you think the story has been abandoned. See if you can find out why it hasn't been completed. It never hurts to ask. The story may be outlined, but the author has no time or interest in completing it. If that is the case you can always ask the author if she wouldn't mind seeing the story completed by someone else. In the case of the story I read I couldn't complete it; it isn't my style. But I know many people on this site who could.

The fact is you or someone could always complete an unfinished story. (After all, that is what we do every time we write an ASJ story. We are adding to an uncompleted series.) If you can't contact the author, and are afraid of steppping on her feelings, you could always post something on a message board site(like this one), instead of on a story site, saying I've read such and such story and maybe someone could write an ending, or this is how I see it ending, and post your own version.You can change the names of her characters if you are that concerned. But I really can't imagine anyone being perturbed if someone completes a story they have given up on.

So, like I said, it never hurts to ask.

I am going to start a thread where you can at least list the stories you think are abandoned and would like to see finished. If you don't want to contact the author, I'll give it a try. If the author says OK for someone else to take it up I'll post that. Consider it a dare and a challenge. :-)

======================

From Frisgogirl

I think stories should be published as final products. It's so frustrating to read part I....and then part II comes along maybe a few months later. And if it's well written- like so many of the stories on this site ARE- I'm left hanging and anxious for a resolution.

I also agree that Maz's stand-alone ranch stories are a different category...though I'm always really pleased when a new episode pops up....!!!!

======================

From StormR

Frankie - I completely agree with Grace. In progress - is just that - in progress. It is a given that the stories in there are not complete. The writer may be trying to work things out, or look for ideas and suggestions. It is also for a small group of "select" people and not put out there for everyone to see until it is a finished story.

======================

From Missyblu

I definitely don't care to read stories posted in parts - I'm always afraid the story won't be finished and I prefer to read a story in one sitting.

Stories that are "stand-alone" works that have several "chapters" however, are different. I'm mostly referring to Karen Sumner's stories. I was eager to read the next installment, but knew that if she wasn't able to continue the series, you weren't left completely in the dark.

I watch alot of TV and find myself reluctant to embrace a new TV series because the networks don't give them enough of a chance before cancelling. I hate getting interested in the characters only to find that I'll never know what happens.

I feel the same way about a new story that is posted in parts - sometimes the pieces are published so far apart that I totally forget what the last piece was about! I have to go back and re-read the last piece, which I find frustrating.

That being said...I know I have posted two parts of my Partners "triology" and I promise there will a third and last story! I've started working on it, but got de-railed with another story that wouldn't leave me along.

stormr

stormr

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 3:08 am

Just looking through some old stuff and saw this. I saw only response from people as to what they think about stories posted in parts but none by writers who post in chapters. My question as Penski originally posted is why do you post in chapters? Why don't you wait until the whole story is completed before you post the story?
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

That's a good question.

I just finished a rather long series and I started it because I wanted to do a long story arc that took the boys from their outlaw days to the end of the pilot.  I chose to do it in five separate stories:  Mail Call, Beaumont Mining Corporation, Big Bill Decker, Moving On, and The End of An Era.  Each can be read on its own, but  are in order, and most are also multi-chapter.  I posted a chapter at a time.  

While I totally understand that some readers don't care for serials, I wanted to do something ala the old movies serials where each chapter ended leaving the reader wanting to 'turn the page' to the next.  While I could've written it all down and posted it as one story, it would've been huge and might have turned off readers who didn't have time for a 600 or 700,000 word story.  This way they can read a story at a time, see if it spurs their interest, and come back to the next installment when it suits them.

If I'd attempted this as one long story, it would've taken me over two years and I probably wouldn't have made that time investment.  As it was, I produced a chapter every week or so and it seemed very doable.  

It also keeps pressure on me to continue producing chapters.  I know my readers are waiting and it spurs my creativeness.  That is where I might differ from other writers who lose interest in the middle of a story. I feel very loyal to my readers and could not leave a story unfinished. That said, I never start a story without knowing the ending and have a good idea of what's in between. I think this is key.

Just the idea of having to finish and proof an entire huge story turns me off, so I chose to do it in parts.  I also very much enjoyed the challenge of keeping it interesting.  It's not easy to keep your readers coming back for more week after week.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

Last edited by InsideOutlaw on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 5:20 am

I enjoy reading the long stories posted in chapters. It gives me something to look forward to on a regular basis. These serialized stories are published in smaller chunks, so I feel like I can take some small amount of time and read, even when I've got a long list of things I "should" be doing. I don't feel guilty about taking some time to sit back and read.

When a really long story is posted, sometimes it's a long time before I read it. I'm a little intimidated by the length -- kind of like, sheesh, I don't have time to read this now. I'll put it off until I've got a big chunk of time to devote to reading. That's good and bad. There are still a few long stories out there, mostly from legacy sites, that I still haven't read. I put it off so long, it never happens. Nothing against the authors, that's just my own weirdness. Smaller bites seem to whet my appetite for more.

I agree with Inside Outlaw, especially since she has produced several longer stories. I was really excited when another chapter of Big Bill Decker appeared, for example. Her posting stories in chapters prolonged my interest and excitement. Like any good story, it lifted me out of the humdrum day-to-day stuff, on a weekly basis.

For myself, I have two shorter series running now. The fact that people are interested keeps me motivated and excited about producing them. It's a weird thing about me, but I do tend to lose interest after a while, and move on to other projects. The fact that other people care keeps me motivated and interested. And, further along my own weird character, I'm motivated by other people's interests and wants almost more than by my own. After living for more than a couple of years, I know myself pretty well. Publishing in chapters works for me, better than waiting till the whole thing's done. If I wait, the whole thing may never be done.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
FrankieASJ

FrankieASJ

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 3:00 pm

I don't mind stories being posted in parts as long as they are updated regularly - with not too much of a time gap.  Sleep I have a very small memory retention and if left too long I forget what has happened!  scratch Keays does really well updating her story and it's always a buzz when she updates.sm 

As a writer, I will post in chapters but only when the story is written - apart from some editing.  There are too many stories out there that people have started, got you hooked in and then they are never finished. I find that extremely annoying Mad  - having invested good reading time! reading

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm

I hope I'm not driving people too crazy with my slow recent posting of chapters on my cycle. I originally was posting things that I had written long ago, but now most of the writing is new. So it naturally takes longer. Posting while I am writing rather than waiting until I have it all finished allows me to react to reader comments. I will try to do better, but RL stays busy and that isn't a bad thing.
HW
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Well my story was definitely too long to post all at one time. But even so, I like it more when a longer story is posted in chapters. I don't have the patience to sit down and read a long story all in one go and as long as the author posts on a regular basis and keeps the story flowing I'm fine with it. As long as they finish it that is. Frustrating to get into a good story only to have it abruptly end mid-way and never get completed.
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Why I posted in chapters is as I stated. I knew TOF was going to be long (just didn't realize how long) and it never occurred to me to post it all in one go.

As other writers have stated here, the comments from readers really inspired me to keep the chapters coming and knowing that the readers were and still are really enjoying my series does help to keep me motivated. It also encourages me to take the story all the way to the finish as I would never leave my readers in the lurch like that.

It was really scary for me when I posted the first chapter of TOF because I knew that once I started I wouldn't be able to stop and yes, I was afraid I would get bored with it and it would become a chore rather than an exciting journey. Well I needn't have worried. I couldn't type fast enough to keep up with everything in my head that wanted to get out and posting each chapter was just as exciting for me as it was for my readers.
Back to top Go down
stormr

stormr

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 am

Thanks for answering. I was just wondering, do you set a schedule for yourself to post so in essence have a deadline? Do you wait for a certain number of comments on that section? Or do you just post whenever you feel the next section is completed or is it already completed and just waiting final editing?

I know so many questions, sorry, it does intrigue me that this appears to be the way to post stories these days. I have had too many stories that took a left turn in the middle of them to ever think of posting in parts unless it was in a writer's forum and I was looking for advice and feedback on it. Even long stories can be posted completed in chapters so not to overwhelm potential readers.
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 am

I knew right from the start shat things had to happen in TOF and I knew how it was going to end. I always tried to post a chapter every two weeks. It hasn't always worked out that why with the co-writing because its a little more difficult to have a deadline like that with two people writing. RL has more opportunity to get in the way. Still though, I think we've done pretty well to stick to that deadline.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 am

I don't actually set a deadline, but my readers' enthusiasm fuels my own and keeps the inspirations coming.  One thing I wanted to emphasize, is that I usually start a story knowing where it will end.  Yes, many of my tales have taken unexpected twists during the telling of them but only one of them ended differently than I had envisioned (Big Bill Decker).

I try to post at least once a week so that my readers don't forget the last chapter, but my chapters usually end up being about 3-5,000 (I don't know why, it just happens that way) so they are easily read in a reasonable period of time.  

I'm guessing that the current popularity of longer, serial stories is that they are fun to read.  You want to know what happens next and the story stays alive in your mind until the next installment.  However, I do post both ways, serial and complete stories.  It just depends on the story.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 pm

I am very leery of reading stories posted one chapter at a time - too many have quit writing for some reason and the reader is left hanging.

I think it's so important to post a chapter a week, if you are writing like this, so readers remember what is happening. I don't have time to reread the previous chapter to remind myself who someone is or what is happening. If a chapter isn't posted once a week, I can easily become frustrated with the story and may stop reading or commenting on it.

HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I do my best to post chapters regularly, but there is no planning for real life. That's true of everyone, isn't it? Inspiration comes when it comes and distractions come when they come. People get sick. People travel. Other things happen, some of them far worse than that. Challenges are not just in stories. I recognize that I am not the only person with a life. I'm sorry if people have gotten impatient. I'm doing my best to keep the story going, and I'm sure other writers do the same. There was a very slow time, and I'm trying to make up for it now. Pardon me and the others for being human. I really appreciate the readers who have been faithfully following my long tale. There are a lot of them. I try to keep up reading the long stories of a several writers whose work I enjoy. I appreciate it when they are able to post and I let them know it.
HW

Last edited by HelenWest on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I agree HW. RL can get in the way and slow things down a bit. If it's a good story it's going to keep the readers coming back. I needed the input from my readers to encourage me to stay honest and to also give me ideas of which direction to go in if I was having problems. A lot of people helped with the writing of Ghosts, and they didn't even know they were doing it!
On top of that, there were a few members who said they wouldn't start reading TOF because they'd had too many stories not be completed. They would wait until my story was completed and read it then. Well, TOF has been finished for some time now and as far as I know those people have not started it. I suppose now, it's too long and they don't want to commit to it.
You can't please everyone so I just write the way I write and leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks, Keays. I want to say how much I admire your long stories. I'm just started and I look forward to having a lot to work on. And I also want to say how important it is to get the feedback of readers. I originally posted a string of stories that had already been written, so they went up with dependable (some said excessive) speed. Then I got to the end of where I had written and I kept going with new material, heavily inspired by reader responses. And I realize that what wrote with reader response was much, much better than what I had written before without it. That is why I am going back and posting revised versions of some of those earlier chapters that were originally written without reader response - the revised chapters reflect what I've learned from the readers. So there is a reason for not getting it all finished first. That comes with drawbacks, I admit. Such is life. To me, the whole point of the fan fic thing is the emotional contact with readers. If that didn't matter to me, I'd just write for myself and not bother with this form. The definition of art is communication, in my mind.
HW
Back to top Go down
stormr

stormr

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:10 am

Okay, so you are writing for the response of others and if they don't respond you will take longer writing the next chapter or won't finish the story? I'm sorry that's kind of what I got from what you posted - you wait for people to respond to give you the motivation or ideas to keep going. If that works for you that's great, I was just looking for I guess the reason it was done that way. And I understand RL which is why I questioned posting in chapters. I've had a good six months where a story has sat because I haven't had time to get back to it or my bunny decided to take a long nap. Like Penski said, I don't have time to go back and re-read things because its been too long since it was posted. Even if its a longer story, like a book I can put it down an pick it up when I have time not when the next section is posted.

And I have to say, I'm sorry Helen, but I know I won't be reading your stories until they are finished. I really don't have time to go back and read the undated versions you have posted. I will wait until I know you are done with the story and are satisfied with it before I start.

As for TOF and people not reading after it was complete, it may not be the length that may have kept new readers from reading it, it could be that it has been around and people hear the gist of the story, it might not be their cup of tea. And don't forget, not all readers post. There are a lot of people out there who lurk and don't post replies to stories.

Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 8:49 am

Hey, Riders, you are welcome to wait as long as you want to read my stories, as is everyone. If you and they want to read them at all, that is a fine complement that I value. I know that my work is not everyone's cup of tea and everyone is free to make their own reading decisions. That's fine and totally understandable.

I do feel bad about making people wait and their having to perhaps review the story to understand the new chapters. I apologize totally. I am doing my best and I get impatient on my side when others have to be slow posting. But I understand. Life is life. Thank goodness! Otherwise it would be so dull.

I am not waiting around for response. Goodness, no. There is never any need. I am always writing chapters ahead and filling in the existing outline. The immediate, enthusiastic emotional response of readers - much of it by private e-mail that most people will never see - caught me totally by surprise. I thought I had the story all worked out and mostly written when I started posting it. But the response has caused me to slow down and add a great deal of detail, since I found out that people (including me) enjoy it. The story cycle is turning out to be a very great deal longer than I had it planned. I am not going to ignore what I think are good ideas just because they are new. It would a far poorer story without the ideas that have come in the past year-plus. I just want to thank people for the support.

If anyone really thinks that professional writers just get it all down in a vacuum and then publish to great acclaim never having had their work read except by editors, they are often very wrong. Maybe sometimes it is that way, but I doubt it happens often. J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis, for instance, were part of a group in Oxford called the Inklings. They got together often and read their growing novels to each other. Believe me, they got good ideas that way. Now the internet allows a much large version of that. Not that I equate my little jottings with the brilliant work that they were writing. Of course not! But the idea of input is parallel. If you don't want to be part of the live process, that's fine with me. If you folks who don't want to wait right now ever come along and read, I will rejoice and hope you enjoy the story. And the best of luck on your own works, long or short. Like I always say - enjoy.
Hw

Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 am

That's all true enough Storm. But TOF would have gotten finished either way, as with the stories I'm working on now. It's just more supportive and encouraging when you're getting positive feed-back on each chapter, especially if it is a long story. I was very new and insecure about my writing when I started TOF, getting instant appreciation for it right from the start really helped me to build my confidence with it. Now, that's just the way I write a longer story.

As I said; that's just the way I do it. If people want to wait until it's done before they read that's fine. We're all different and we all have our preferred ways. Neither one is right or wrong.

I know you were just asking why we write that way and I think I've covered that pretty well on my side--LOL!

Just enjoy!
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 am

LOL! You posted right at the same time that I did HW. Great minds think alike. And I think you explained the process better.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 9:21 am

Of course I was longer-winded, Keays. Ain't I always?
HW
Back to top Go down
stormr

stormr

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 am

As I said, if that's what works best for you that is great. No way is right or wrong just like every style of writing is different.

Helen, I know very well that writers do not just get it down the first time and go through one editing process. I know how long it actually takes to get things published and the many many revised additions to an original manuscript there can be - so much so that you may not even be able to tell they are in fact related. I used to participate in a writers forum where we would often discuss, post, and ask for opinions/advice of chapters of stories. This was all done behind the scenes. It was a supportive group to encourage and help with stories. By the time the story was completed, many people had read it, given advice, suggestions - things were altered - stories were better. And still this would not come close to what someone who gets paid to write has to go through before the thought of publishing their work. Perhaps because I don't think there is that type of group out there with the behind the scenes assistance, more people post in chapters. I was just curious as to why and the thought process behind it. I certainly was not saying one way of posting is better than another just as I would never say one style of writing was better than another.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 pm

My apologies. Of course you know that. What may need explaining is that I started posting after moving away from my home of 50 years when I was even more lonely and isolated than I am now.This was my only way to get feedback and connection in this sphere. I appreciate all strategies of writing, too. My professional work includes a lot of writing and there are books with my name on the spine - but just non fiction. I appreciate the wonderful help of editors and other readers! And by the way when I say feed back, I don't mean that people have suggested plot things or anything specific - that is rare. It is usually just seeing what types of writing people enjoy and why. Knowing that certain things don't bore people or positively interest them is helpful.
HW
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm going to admit to a dirty little secret here. . .

Are you ready?

Can you deal with it?

I am not as spiritually advanced as I would like to be/hope to be/am trying to be. I really really like getting positive reader comments. I look for them. I read them all. When I post stories in parts, I get more comments.  Validation still matters to me. I wish I could say it doesn't, but it does.

So far, most comments have been complementary. No one has said "you suck" or similar. Maybe/probably I'd feel differently if you all weren't so supportive and kind.

If I were further along in my spiritual development, I would totally ignore what people say about me or what I do, at any time, for any reason. But I'm not there yet.  So, for me, there's a plus to posting stories in parts.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 pm

OK, Rosie, I'll admit to the same. I do enjoy those comments! And the reason you don't hear bad comments is because you are a superb writer! I get a negative now and then, and I do listen and try to learn.
HW
Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Agree!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stories in Parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stories in Parts   Stories in Parts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stories in Parts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next