Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Empty
PostSubject: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 1:49 pm

If I wanted the boys to be travelling in style, inside an private enclosed conveyance pulled by horses, would it be a coach or a carriage? I know what a stage coach is, of course, but is that the correct verbiage?

A small question, but it's been bugging me.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
FrankieASJ

FrankieASJ

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Off the top of my head or from the dark recesses of my brain I'd say the difference is a carriage is open while a coach has doors and is covered - with a roof. Although carriages can have a fabric covering - the name of which escapes me.

Of course I could be making this up in my head! scratch padded

Penski

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm

A surrey with fringe on the top...
(love the musical Oklahoma)

According to Wikipedia - A surrey is a "popular American doorless, four-wheeled carriage of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Usually two-seated (for four passengers), surreys had a variety of tops, ranging from the rigid, fringed canopy-top … to parasol and extension tops."[1] The seats were traditional, spindle-backed (often upholstered), bench seats. Before the advent of automobiles, these were horse-drawn carriages.

Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 pm

According to Dictionary.com:

Carriage: A wheeled vehicle for conveying persons, as one drawn by horses and designed for comfort and elegance.

Coach: A large, horse-drawn, four-wheeled carriage, usually enclosed.

So, it seems the main vehicle is a carriage, with a coach or other of the same being types of carriages.

Admin
BeeJay

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 pm

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 8:34 am

thankyou thankyou

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?   What is the difference between a coach and a carriage? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the difference between a coach and a carriage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: Writers' Aids :: Writing Questions-
Jump to: