Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can you suggest...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Can you suggest... Empty
PostSubject: Can you suggest...   Can you suggest... Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:55 am

Penski, can you suggest...

Want to read a vampire story around Halloween? Ask me and I'll tell you where to find them. In the mood for a Valparaiso story? I'll make a few suggestions about my favorites. You can even send me a personal message if you're in the mood to read a "trashy" story and want a suggestion. I'm sure others would be willing to suggest their favorite stories, too.

=====================

FROM nm131:

Reading the starter paragraph for the June Story Challenge, I thought one of the possible beginnings for this scenario would be Heyes'death (believe me I am not looking for this, quite the opposite! But if someone wrote it I would read it). I know that there are many other possiblities and I will enjoy reading everyone's different ideas which is one of the reasons I love reading the challenges. However, this lead to the idea of death fiction, towards the bottom of the list if not the bottom of my favorite genres. Although, there are some very well written stories regarding this subject ( "Hope and a Future" by Grace R. Williams and "The Promise of a Lifetime" by Rackuhn are examples). I notice all of the stories I have read where the permanent death of a partner occured it has been Heyes that has died. There were excellent story challenges where the partner was unidentified (A Locked Door" by C.D. Roberts and "Bad Things Happen When We Separate" by Sister Grace). I wonder if that is because of Peter Duel's personal tragedy or due to some outgrowth of the the character's developement in ASJ fanfiction or series. Does Kid alone present, for some reason, better story material? Would Heyes cope with Kid's death without enough angst or difficulty to write a worthwhile story? Anyway, my question is has a story been written where Heyes is the surviving partner?

=====================

From Penski

What great questions!

I could not find a story where Kid permanently dies. There is the story by Rackuhn called Sacrifice where he dies, but it's not permanent. Personally, I do believe it is because of Pete Duel's personal tragedy. Many of the writers would agree that Kid alone does not present better story material. The story The Long Ride by Sharon Kennison (Kid and Heyes Literary Society) shows how Heyes would have dealt with Kid's death. Hopefully others will chime in and give their opinions to your thoughtful questions.

=====================

FROM MAX:

Hello!
I popped on to reply to this thread and then got utterly diverted by Beejays story on the challenge! Wow.

Anyhow, before that... I had a half useless response.

I DO remember a story where Kid has died, but I do not remember anything useful like the site, or author, or title.

Yeah, I know, fat lot of use.

Anyhow - the story is set some years post amnesty, set in a saloon and Heyes is a washed up drunk without his friend. I think we see this poor inadequate fellow trying to get a drink, and only slowly realise it IS an older HH.

I remember it being a good read, and succeeding in eliciting an 'OH, it's Heyes!' response... And I am sort of 70% sure it was a short story and that was about it.

Sorry for the shakey memory there - 'it's me age'...

Does it ring a bell with anyone.

=====================

I moved the discussion about a death of Heyes or Kid to the Banterings area. If you have a story recommendation for nm131, please leave that inform here. Thanks!

=====================

FROM FRANKIE:

It rings a bell with me Max - but we must be the same age! There's another character isn't there? Is it a reporter or am I getting mixed up with another story? I'll do some checking and see if I can find it!

=====================

FROM nm131:

Penski, thank-you for the story sugestion, I just reread it during lunch. I had completely forgotten about that story having read it when I first rediscovered ASJ.

Frankie, I love your writing and the last story challenge was particulary good (especially since the wavy haired blonde man of action is my hero)I kept checking the site in the hopes that you would post an offering. I haven't noticed any shortcomings in the way you write Heyes, you did a fine job in the May challenge.

Max and Frankie, that story doesn't ring a bell at all with me and I thought I have read just about everything on the internet that I could find. I have a college age son - so I'm not a spring chicken so maybe the brain matter isn't what it used to be and memory is going.

=====================

From Penski

Max and Frankie -

Do you read ASJ fanfiction from other sources than the internet (almanac or the ones you buy)? Maybe that story was elsewhere - it doesn't sound familiar to me at all and I thought I knew all the sites.

=====================

FROM SISTER GRACE:

As soon as I read nm131's questions, I thought of the same story Max seems to be describing. I'm in the same boat as Max as far as remembering who wrote it and where to find it. I'll try to find it.

=====================

FROM FRANKIE:

nm131 - Bless you! X

=====================

FROM SISTER GRACE:

The story "A Very Happy Birthday" by Dorothy PC on fanfiction.net also deals with death.

=====================

FROM SISTER GRACE:

OK, There's good news and there's bad news. The good news? Max...WE ARE NOT CRAZY! I found this link for a story on the Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction Archive and have copied what it says below.

Truth Be Known by Vivian Darkbloom. This dark and angsty Heyes story was submitted for inclusion in the next issue of the Western genzine, Wide Open Spaces. When future issues of the zine were canceled, the author of “Truth Be Known” very kindly has allowed us to archive their story here, instead. What would happen to Heyes if Kid Curry were dead? This dark story speculates on a possible future – if you can call it that.

The bad news is, either the link is broken or the story has been removed.

=====================

FROM MAX:

Oh Thank you Sister Grace.

Never Mind!! (I definitely read it on the internet Penski)

I have to admit the title does not ring a bell - but then it must have been a good while ago - I'm talking well before I actually dipped my toe on a board with any of you lovely ladies - when I read it. So??? 3 years ago.

Is Vivian Darkbloom out there anywhere ??? Looking in??? If so - take a hug.

=====================

FROM SARIYA:

I would have loved to have read Truth Be Known but was disappointed when the link to it wouldnt work.

=====================

FROM BEEJAY:

I went to the Ashton Press homepage, and it looks like the site owner moved the entire site when part of AOL shut down. I am hoping this may be simply a case in which the link to the story isn't currently working, so I wrote to the owner to let her know. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.

I remember this story too now; it was one of those stories that can really get to you. Very dark.

=====================

FROM nm131:

Thank-you beejay for contacting the owner of the website. I do now remember trying to link to the story but couldn't connect. I must have found the site later than most. The site has a few story listings that the link is not working. "Blindhearted" is another story that the blurb sounded interesting but I have never read. From what people posted about "Truth be Known" I am sorry I haven't read it.

=====================

FROM BEEJAY:

The link is fixed. The site owner says she is going to fix other broken links as well.

http://asjfans.ashtonpress.net/TruthBeKnown.htm

=====================

FROM GHISLAINE:

Thanks much, BJ! I just read the story for the first time: Wow! Sad.

=====================

FROM nm131:

Penski, During chat there was a discussion of post amnesty family possibilities for each of the partners. Several members presented a variety of view points on whether or not each partner would get married (and have children)as well as likely timelines when those events might take place. One of the views was that Kid would wait a long time to get married and start a family since he would be concerned about his gunfighter past catching up with him, causing possible harm to those he loves. This view has merit.

My question is - Is there a story out there that has Kid married and his wife or child suffering due to his past?

=====================

FROM Penski

I came up with one story - No Regrets by Eleanor Ward (posted on Alias Smith and Jones Fanfiction). The story begins with Kid in shock when bounty hunters kill his pregnant girlfriend. Anyone else know of a fanfic where Kid's family suffers due to his past?

=====================

FROM nm131:

Thanks Penski, As soon as I started to read the story it came back to me. I remember the story more from Heyes' story thread which is why I didn't connect the dots at first.

Can you suggest...
Page 1 of 1