A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:44 pm

WichitaRed

A hurt Heyes, left by the Kid. What a decision! Must have been agony. The Kid does come back doesn't he? I mean this is not an alterative universe where - sob - there's no Heyes!

Little Bluestem

Leaving Valparaiso? I suppose there must have been a conversation but was the decision a hard one? Spur of the moment then. Sometimes those are the best - certainly in this case.

Cal

Of course it has to be a HH plan. Loved it. The Kid's killing blood! Can really see the Gang being terrified at the thought of that.

Cornelia May

Conversation that must have gone on more than once without the boys knowing it. Great to have Lom on their side and believing in them.

EleanorW

No they can't split up! I could really see the conversation between Heyes and the Kid. Has Heyes said enough to persuade the Kid? The meeting when it comes was touching - a lot unsaid. Neither knowing what to say. Very nice.

Penski

Dilema! He does want you there. He doesn't want you there. Do I stay? Do I go? Great take on the prompt and sorry your hubby had to get sick for you to think of it. Well written tale.

Remuda

A lot here. Is this part of something longer? Intrigued.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Moulin P - You really went for the angst in this month's challenge. Everyone has a different take on that fateful day and yours is one of the most unique I've read. Good job with the backstory.

Penski - - One of the reasons I went into perioperative nursing is that I have no patience and I like my patients anesthetized. My family tells me I'm not a very nurturing nurse and had I been Kid the second or third time Heyes told me to go away I would have got, (well mostly). If this was inspired by your husband's illness you have my sympathies. Loved it, BTW when I'm sick, just leave me alone in my misery.

[color=#cc0033]Remuda[/color] I can see Kid doing something like this. The woman is holding in a whole lot of pain and Kid is an empathetic listener. She lost one of her best chances of understanding by rebuffing his efforts.
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Do we stay or do we Go   Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:07 am

Remiss of me - missed one! Remuda

This one intrigued me - loved the contrast between the bright light outside and the lonely grey shades withing - had me wondering how old Kid was at first  - then I caught on - he's our "help the needy" Kid with a faded star saloon girl. I think he would have found her approaches toe curling - such a handsome man would be used to doing the choosing...heart breaking really....glad he's not judging...but I think he could have been kinder...why follow her upstairs if he was just trying to help her out with money? I'm putting it down to him being young and not having the experience to mind someone else's pride...I think I've lost some of the subtlety of this ...I'm going to have to re read a few times to catch it.

I've come away from that feeling sad...but I feel its an intelligent bit of writing that probably needs someone more intelligent than me to appreciate it fully.
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Sour Grapes   Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 am

Ty Pender - wacky as always - I thought mine was off the wall - yours is over the wall - out to left field and round the bend - LOVE IT!

The doggy cowboys are so cute - that's good animation - I'd watch it ......did watch it! happydog

The Brio train robbery lacked ...urm ....enough actors ...urm ....I had the theme tune to Thomas the Tank engine going round my head ....Is that a good deal? train

I'd seen the Dave Cavett scene before on Youtube but....was a joy to visit again...

Pete with his fags made me laugh. Then the gun play with Monty ...classic... draw

I do hope you won't have sour grapes about my continued use of ...

I'm addicted desert panda
Back to top Go down
Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:35 am

Cal- I really enjoyed reading this story. I watch a good deal of Doctor Who and other British shows so I was able to understand the slang quite easily. What exactly is Spotted Dick? and do you really call a lack of appetite sour grapes?

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:40 am

Ty Pender- I loved this series of videos you shared, especially the last one. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can watch the episode with Dick Cavett in it cause I don't remember seeing it.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:12 pm

June Challenge Comments:

WichitaRed - Very exciting continuation in your series.  I wanted to refresh my memory on the earlier challenge but had a hard time finding it.  Enjoyed Kid as he urges the horse into the water by talking to it, much like the scene in Posse That Wouldn't Quit.

LittleBluestem - This song was the first thing to pop into my mind when I read this month's challenge prompt!  I enjoyed this little glimpse into the boys' past, and each one of the many lyrics you included.

Cal - Some really good lines in this piece, Cal, like: “What did you think I’d use …Smith? …or Jones maybe?" and "...Thought I might ‘ve wiped lipsti… er …dirt across my face or somethin’…” Loved the ominous howl of the "coyote."

Cornelia May - This line from Lom is perfect:  "Should I stay and try to convince you further Heyes and the Kid didn't rob the bank in Sheridan, or should I go tell them the deal is off and to learn some Spanish?"  Well done, Cornelia May.  Nice to see you're back to writing.

EleanorW - You're back, EW!  You always manage to capture a darker, edgier side to Heyes and Curry in your writing. Nice to see read something of yours again.

MoulinP - Lots of interesting history behind the Curry clan.  The scene where they drew pictures together was my favorite.  Very sweet.

Penski - Poor Kid, having to play nurse to a sick and Proddy Heyes!  Sorry your husband had to suffer in order to provide you with the inspiration for this piece.  But at least somethin' good came out of it!  Nice work, Penski!

Remuda - I think this is going to be one of those challenges that sticks with me.  I'm wondering, do HH and KC know this woman from somewhere in their past?  It feels as if they might, but she seems to have no recollection of the Kid.  The almost haunting feel of this story adds to my enjoyment of it. Well done, Remuda!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Finally getting to June:

WichitaRed - Liked this continuation on your earlier story. Frank Rucker is a man one loves to hate. A very suspense filled story. Looking forward to reading more.

LittleBlueStem - I had been singing that song since I saw the June topic. I'm so happy to see you put some of the lyrics in your story. So that was the conversation that instigated the escape? I enjoyed this.

Cal - I loved the idea Heyes had in this story! Making the gang believe Kid was a crazed killer was a great way to make sure the gang obeyed him. And they all kept adding to the story themselves! Clever idea!

Cornelia May - Good to see you writing again. Lom sure does have a work load when it comes to keeping the governor straight on what the boys did or didn't do. Good thing he's on their side.

EleanorW - Another author I'm happy to see back writing. You write emotional scenes so well. Kid's reason for the anger was understandable. After so long trying, you finally get tired of it. For a second, I thought Kid might actually stay. I'm glad he didn't.

MoulinP - I liked this different take of that fateful day. I think that's the first one I've read that had Jed living with the Heyes family. So many sad moments in this. I would love to see it continued.

Penski - Always love seeing Kid having to take care of a sick, proddy Heyes. Kid had to have been about to go crazy by the time it was over. I can empathize with Heyes. I've had that particular bug myself a few times. Hope the hubby feels better.

Remuda - This is so bittersweet. Kid wanted to help her out but her pride wouldn't allow it. She was so cynical. Wonder what exactly happened in San Francisco? Loved the ending.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:24 am

WichitaRed: Very exciting!  Great imagery with this phrase: The businesses bled into fine Victorian homes…

Little Bluestem: I always like Valparaiso stories.  You could definitely make this a series, ya know that, right?

Cal: A typically clever Hannibal Heyes plan.  Even though I guessed, it was still fun to read the denouement.

Cornelia May: And now the boys owe Uncle Mac really big time!  Nice to see you back and playing with the boys again!

EleanorW: It may have been a while but you can still pull on those heartstrings!  Enjoyed this story a lot.

MoulinP: Aww; so much hurt/comfort in this story.  I'd like to know more about Jonathan and…is staying with him how Heyes learned to be such a good tracker???

Penski: I thought Heyes was gonna end up with appendicitis -- glad it all worked out eventually.  Sorry to hear Mr P was recently ill.

Remuda: So…did the boys recognize the woman from somewhere in their past?  If not, I can't figure out what the end signified.  A mysterious story, for sure!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Cal

PostSubject: Cornelia May asked   Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:51 am

Cornelia May asked -
What exactly is Spotted Dick? and do you really call a lack of appetite sour grapes?

Spotted Dick
Its a well known - if seldom eaten -  suet pudding - It contains dried fruits (hence the spotted) and can be made in any shape at all.  It sometimes is made in the shape of a yule log....which leads to the inevitable smutty jokes enjoyed by school children of all ages! It normally gets served with lots of custard or it would be too dry. Its one of those ancient recipes that gets brought out when us Brits get nostalgic and need a bit of comfort food.

Sour Grapes
I think this is the same both sides of the pond - think I was just reflecting Heyes' incredulity that Kid  - who'd normally eat anything (since having a deprived upbringing) would take umbridge at the food being offered just because it has a weird name.

Thanks for caring enough to ask Cornelia.  It was a bit of a mad idea this month but you know what its like....once they start talking in my head ....I have to write it down.... panda

Calx
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Sour Grapes   Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:57 am

Wichita Red - Really enjoying this series - This third episode does not disappoint and offers a glimpse of a light at the end of a very long tunnel in the guise of the doctor.  What a great character.  Their rescuer seems familiar ...can't wait to see who that turns out to be.  Don't want to say more in case I spoil this brilliant thread for others.  Fab read. Looking forward to the concluding episode. sparkleshoe
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Cal - How ironic that Angus has outlaws keeping him safe from outlaws! I have to say, fly fishing isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I'd like to have seen the boys try it. And I agree with Kid. I don't know if I could eat spotted dick either. I'd be interested in reading more about this excursion with 'Ma Kriss'!

Ty Pender - Well, that was certainly,... different :)

Wichita Red - I'm glad to see a third chapter of this story. I'm really wanting to see how this all works out. I have an idea who the good samaritan is, but I'll just wait and see. The doctor seems very gruff and blunt, but also caring in his own way. Looking forward to more.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Wichita Red – Great bantering between the boys on the road.  Interesting rescuer and I have to admit I can’t figure out who it might be if he plays a part in the boys’ lives later.  Love the doc – what a character!  Eating half-raw live?  UGH!  No wonder Jed said he wasn’t hungry.  Great dialog from the doc, especially the last line.  So you’re gonna make us a month for the end?  sigh…  Sad

Hanna Heyes – Okay, I’m trying to imagine an actual experience that does not involve alcohol that’s similar to this great story.  Gosh, I don’t think Judge Carter has ever come back in a story, but I love it.  He would be upset and crabby seeing the boys again.  He didn’t understand they had something awesome to celebrate or he’d have understood why Heyes and the Kid had to have a few drinks.  Always love Lom in a story.  Wonderful challenge.
 yes

Cal

PostSubject: Sour Grapes   Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:04 pm

HannaHeyes - Love the denial of alcoholic involvement - bring on the hangovers! haha it's Kid - "How much did you let me drink last night Heyes?" - nice swerve. How do we all get these mornings so graphic - and us all saints? No Heyes? WOW! the amnesty had finally been approved. No wonder they're celebrating. Thank goodness he found the floppy hat - we're all rather attached to it.....I wonder when this is meant to be - how long did they wait? Oh don't let something bad happen to Heyes on that night...YeH! Lom. "He's in jail." LoL Lom's locked him up! "You mean it's THAT judge? the one you all stole the gavel from...haha did you go knocking on the wrong door Hanna?...hope they didn't throw you in jail....bad case of sour grapes for the judge I think. "You're not innocent of anything. Probably haven't been in your whole life," Judge Carter growled. - Good line! and end on a classic - "You're always hungry,"

Enjoyed that - loved that they got the amnesty - How did men survive all the strong drink in the West - perhaps it was watered down - pity their livers!

panda
thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Sour Grapes   Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:04 am

Penski - OOh nice set up - the day the gang lost Big Jim - Aw Heyes is really beating himself up over this - Nice for him to have someone like Kid to put it in perspective. Hah - say it like it is Kid -

“Now as I see it, you can sit here and feel sorry for yourself that it’s your fault OR you can get yourself down there and start leadin’ that bunch of misfits. Heck, they’ll all be dead within a month if no one tells ‘em what to do.”

Goodness - Heyes self confidence is rock bottom - he must be really shaken. Good old Kid -

Heck, you’ve been bossy as long as I’ve known you. - sooo true

Ah here's the Heyes we know and love - back on form - great dialogue - I'm seeing and hearing this Penski. Well thought out voting system the card the die and the bullet. Love the banter about speeches.
Lol love Kyle -  “But I voted for you, Wheat.”

What comes out of this is -  Kid would make a fabulous politician - or should that be  - the power behind the throne for a charismatic like Heyes. That was really well thought out and completely believable. - really enjoyed reading it. applause
Back to top Go down
EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks to all of you who commented on my challenge story. bal I haven't managed to put pen to paper for about 4 years and wasn't sure I would be able to come up with any kind of story, so it's good to know you enjoyed it. Hopefully I can find incentive to come up with something else before to long. Very Happy

http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:58 am

1) Cal

Please Miss Cal, may I join a British tourist party and have the boys as my guides? Mmmmmm – spotted dick. two thumbs You don’t know what you’re missing, Kid. Nothing like suet and custard for comfort food. Dear Heyes with the ‘thirty dollars a day’ refrain. Nice, Cal.

2) Ty pender

Hey Ty, you’re back in the challenge! Waves from across the pond. Ohh dear. I’m afraid I can’t access the links (work laptop) so… I can’t really comment. Over to the Imagineering cat. egcat “Never have I seen three video clips of such wit and wisdom used to encapsulate the timeless truth of an Aesop fable. The sneer on the face of Reynard the fox was particularly fine. Right, pass me a sardine.”

3) WichitaRed

Welcome bandanny wearer. bandit Oooh oooh… is the silver haired Samaritan Soapy?? Could be. We don’t find out? Not yet anyhow. I will bet a small portion of spotted dick on that rescuer being Soapy. Warm fuzzy feelings that the boys have fallen into the hands of such a fatherly doctor in the meantime.

4) HannaHeyes

Somebody’s been word counting! She’s 25 under the wire though. Slurps tea, settles to read.
They have their amnesty! Huzzah.
Wavy fuzzy lines – harp music, oh I like a nice flashback.
Poor old Heyes – of all the wrong doors he has to be knocking up a judge. jail
Walk steadily to breakfast, boys – keep those pounding heads level.
Enjoyed that Hanna.

5) Penski

Back to the early outlaw days, huh? Aw, poor old Big Jim. “Reeelaaax, you are tooo tanse.”
I’m getting shades of twelve angry men as I listen to the secret ballot discussion. In a good way, ‘cos it is one of my favourite films. And we get the sour grapes from Misery Mueller as he loses. But of course dear old Wheat stays on. And the rest, as they say, is – canon. Ace
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 pm

Moulin P – Hey, the boys are in my neck of the woods!  What an interesting job for Heyes and Curry.  Doesn’t seem too hard on the back and pays well so their kind of job.  Oh, but there’s a catch, of course.  There is an element of danger guarding the “on fonts”.  It took a bit to figure out the gentleman’s accent, but it sure came out.  Must have been difficult to write his dialog.  LOL… Loved how the Kid showed off his skill!  Yep, I’d like to see this become a bigger story.  Enjoyable challenge!

Remuda – Another story with the boys in my neck of the woods!  Soapy to the rescue!  I really like him in a story.  A morel?  I’m with the boys.  I didn’t know it was a mushroom.  Here’s another interesting job for them that pays well and not hard on the back.  So would there be an element of danger to finding mushrooms?  You do have to know your mushrooms or it could be disastrous.  Very nice challenge!

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:52 am

6) MoulinP

Another word counter!!! 2999 words. My eyebrow twitches in amusement.

Oooh – our boys risking working for (sort of) one of the big four. Will Heyes be recognised?? Oh la la! J’adore – ‘ow do you say – le Franch agsaaaaant.
Dunno about this Frenchman welcoming USA competition though. Come the 1970s he’ll be regretting that!
A shooting test for our boys. What could be more up Kid’s street?
Methinks the boys will not turn up their noses at the cooking wine, huh?
Liked that a LOT Moulin P.

7) Remuda

Yah-hay! We are joined by our second bandanny wearer – and she’s back where she belongs – dodging that wire like a hare!

Snirt – does HH not KNOW his saddlebags are magic? Ooooh – specialised hunters? In ‘Frisco. I’m thinking now. Venison? Wild boar? I dunno.
OH – mushrooms. Nice. Liking the loose morels jokes.
After all, Kid is a fun guy. (Here all week, gals.)
Now boys, what you need to find those mushrooms is a pig … or is that only truffles?
Fun story, Remuda.
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:32 am

Calico - Thanks for posting that tidbit from Stop Whining - loved it!  two thumbs

Cal

PostSubject: Sour Grapes   Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:51 am

Two wire dodgers! -

MoulinP - ooh the vineyards of Bergerac....a little Gallic flavour then? and for us dyslexics..make that garlic flavour too.
Breakfast with newspapers...featuring Kids appetite...no complaints from me ...I love a classic opening. Why aren't I getting the 'Big Four' reference - what do I have to read? Carlton Balfour, that's Heyes at the Colorado Springs casino right? “Ah!” Now the Kid understood. explain it to me Kid.

A shooting test...no worries there then...I like the way they dismiss everybody elses chances at the jobs....still arrogant then. Haha you were listening on that vineyard excursion weren't you MoulinP.  Turns out I didn't need to know the background to enjoy that.  Nice take on the prompt.

Remuda - Nice illusion to the stay press suits and magic saddlebags - I never minded suspending my disbelief about all that, did you? Jed “Kid” Curry fidgeted. “This suit is itchy. Could probably use a new one.” I here plaintive cries of YES all over the world. Hunting? for a restaurant...interesting. Haha ha wants them tripping through the woods to gather the fungi bounty...very delicate, don't want to bruise them...more to the point though extremely dangerous less you know what you're looking for. I see a murder charge looming! Oh I guess morels are easy enough to spot Sheesh, dodged a bullet there.
Another gourmet delight of a tale.
Back to top Go down
MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 am

Cal

I had a vision of our boys on the grouse moors of Scotland. Could almost see them dressed in tweed and plus fours etc. Very funny.

Ty Pender

Sorry couldn't make the links work - even tried copy and pasting.

Wichita Red

Had to read back to find out how this started. Still not sure I understand where sour grapes comes in but no doubt others will enlighten me. I'm renown for not seeing things right in front of me! I can tell you that I'm enjoying this tale immensely. Can't wait for August.

HannaHeyes

Poor Heyes getting the amnesty and spending his first night as a free man in jail. Definitely sour grapes on the part of the judge from Montanan.

Penskie

So that's how Heyes became leader after Big Jim was caught. Never thought of the DHG as democratic (or even republican) though. Poor Kyle couldn't resist could he? Great fun.

Remuda

Loved the mention of the magic saddlebags. Unexpected play on the word morals - I mean morrels. Would love to see the boys trying to find the right type of mushrooms. Will there be more? Story I mean. Very clever.

Just a quick note to answer Cal's question about the Big 4 - if you check out The Pocket Watch Mystery on my thread on Stories website things may be a little clearer.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:36 pm

Finally getting to finish July...

Penski - I loved this version of how Heyes got to be leader of the gang! Wheat's argument on why speeches shouldn't be done was great. Of course, Mueller had a point too ;) The way the voting was done was a smart idea. Kyle just never knows when to keep his mouth shut does he? Really enjoyed this!

MoulinP - I hope this turns into a longer story! I want to know if Heyes gets recognized. Loved the shooting scene with Kid just nonchalantly hits the target surprising Didier and his partner. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this!

Remuda - Ahh, morel mushrooms, one of my favorite delicacies! I hunt them every spring. They can be quite elusive. The boys better be careful though. There is a kind of mushroom that looks very similar but is poisonous. I loved the whole morel/moral exchange. Love the concept of this story and looking forward to the rest!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:02 am

Congrats to everyone who wrote a challenge!  When you write, we all win. congrats

Cal -  Seems like this piece is part of a longer story.  Is there one in the works?  If so, I hope the boys succeed, both in their fishing and in their 30 dollar a day venture.

ty pender -  The links were not working.  Sorry I am unable to comment, but always appreciate your challenge contributions.

WichitaRed - I liked the Good Samaritan, his actions and the way you've described him, and I am wondering if he might come back into play in the continuation of your story.  

HannaHeyes - Cute story.  I liked the return of the judge.  Loved this:  "You're not innocent of anything. Probably haven't been in your whole life," Judge Carter growled.

Penski - I liked your take on "Sour Grapes."  Loved the voting adaptations you invented for the DHG members who were unable to read.  Very creative!  

MoulinP - Great job with the dialect.  With a name like "moulin" I am not surprised you write a French accent so well.  I always enjoy seeing historical notes at the end of a challenge.  Well done!

Remuda - I liked how you subtly worked this month's prompt into the story and especially enjoyed these lines in response to hunting "morels": “You mean, ethical?” Heyes asked.

“We do have scruples, Mr. Applegate. We don’t go shootin’ somethin’ just for fun. I mean, we hunt to eat.”

Calico - The moment I read this month's prompt, your "Whining" story is the one I thought of.  I truly enjoyed reading it again.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Sorry guys, it's working now. Enjoy.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next