Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eating Habits

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Does Heyes really eat like a sparrow?    safe
Is the Kid a glutton?    draw
How do you write Heyes and Kid Curry when it comes to eating or food?   writing  
What episode scenes do you use for your opinion?  scratch

Alias Alice

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 8:32 am

I don't think Kid is a glutton, because gluttony is a very unattractive quality. The only scene where he specifically mentions food is in 'Going, Going, Gone', isn't it, where he doesn't want to leave town before he's had some breakfast. Sounds very reasonable to me! (But it develops into a mega argument with Heyes, who's annoyed with him, over whether he should wear his gun).

Can't think of any other times the Kid particularly demands a meal, especially not a huge amount. Also, I haven't noticed Heyes 'eating like a sparrow'! They both seem just to have normal healthy appetites!

The Kid wouldn't make a pig of himself! He's much too nice! (And well-mannered, They are both startlingly good-mannered actually).
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Heyes sure ate a lot in Apache Springs. I think there is another episode where he does a pretty good job chowing down. and the Kid seems to have a normal appetite. Most of the idea of Heyes not eating much and the Kid wanting to eat seems to be fan fiction exaggeration. I plead guilty to that; it really is too easy to throw in a joke about food with them in a story: like the Heyes lousy coffee business.

Calico

Calico

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 12:38 am

There is the scene in Last Exit where Kid protests he doesn't need to work to build up his appetite.
(Though both boys enjoying their stew in that one)

And the fuss over breakfast.

Don't we see him concerning himself with food supplies in boxcar??

And he does grouse that he didn't realise that giving up crime meant he'd be giving up eating.

I would not say a glutton by any means, but I always write him as a man who likes his three squares a day.   And isn't too proud to occasionally focus on the straightforward practicalities of getting them.

Does HH eat like a sparrow?  Nah not at all.  BUT, is more likely to be distracted from mealtimes or his plate by his latest scheme or problem.

I do like to throw in mild jokes about Kid being swayed into a job by the promise of three squares a day - but in a practical rather than greedy way.   Ditto, have just included a little throwaway line that Kid took chance of two breakfasts.  
But hey, don't we all sometimes.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I never understood the common fanfic theme that Heyes barely eats, or that he's lost so much weight, etc. etc. etc. Every time I see the boys at a meal in the series, Heyes is digging into his food with as much gusto and enthusiasm as Curry is. I never saw Heyes say "tut tut, I am refusing food in order to maintain my oh-so-slender manly frame." He eats. He was probably just one of those obnoxious people who can eat all he wants and never gain weight.

Plots have turned on Curry's eating, however. "McCreedy Bust: Going, Going, Gone" the whole final confrontation turns on Curry's desire to eat, because hours would have passed before the stagecoach stopped for a meal. Heyes was willing to sit in the room and wait for the stage, in order to avoid any confrontation with Briggs.

And in the episode Calico sites, the name of which escapes me, he leaves what he believes to be $50,000 in a boxcar with an unknown girl in order to find some food. There may be other instances; I never watched the Roger Davis episodes.

Given those two Curry instances, it's easy for me to see how fanfic writers have portrayed Curry as a chow hound. I wouldn't call him that, however. Curry is more like the typical man I've known than Heyes, as far as missing a meal goes. Most men I've known make mealtime a priority, and many of those have claimed they get headachey and peckish without substantial food at the regular time, on a regular basis.

I don't emphasize their eating habits in my fanfic. They're men; they like food, and they really like good food. That's about it for me.

Off my soapbox now.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eating Habits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Habits   Eating Habits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eating Habits
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Discussion Spot :: Banterings-
Jump to: