HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Virtual Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:47 pm

I'm sorry, Penski, but I won't contribute after all. You know I was behind, and I had an outline, but the accident I had on the 5th has thrown all my plans for everything into the dumpster. It's not going to happen.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 pm

I am working on my second story but.sheesh the boys keep wandering off doing other stuff. One of them insisted I clean out the cupboard under the stairs today. I told them, boys if I do this the VS won't get finished but would they listed? Nope.

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:01 am

Consider me chided.

Cannot claim bandaged paw - just faffing with real life.
Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 am

jail Well...I am totally at the mercy Twisted Evil  of our illustrious leader this week since I am visiting with her. She is bribing me with homemade scones, eat  Bob's cooking, a plethera of assorted Jelly Belly Beans and tea coffee  If things go well, we might enjoy a bottle of something bottle

Rumor has it that we shall be working Suspect diligently in-between educating our minds poker household chores,  gonefishing entertaining the  strcat   purr    egcat  and trips/errands mush   stage  

We will be co-conspiring, collaborating, and using our creative processes  huh to  writing an awesome VS story about those two  wanted men, "Whats-his-name" an' "That Other Fella."

With any luck sparkleshoe we just might be able to pretty much finish our masterpiece without either of us gettin' blowed to bits draw   cowboyclap

As for MY solo VS story,  study I am hoping to have something going soon...I am so close desert to finding a plot  excited

horsepoker P.S. "Ned" asked me to tell y'all howdy since he's kinda busy  in a high stakes game with Shifty-Eyed Sam Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Still plugging away at my story writing about that picture of Clem's (or did it belong to the fellas?) which was stolen from Clem's safe deposit box at the State Bank of Denver. safe  At this point, the word count is getting close to the 8000 mark.  Just gotta get that ending to come together so all loose ends get tied up. thrown

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:26 pm

So sorry but my kids are getting older and somehow seem to be demanding more of my time. I thought it would be the other way and I'd have more free time.v Rolling Eyes

Real life keeps throwing things at me and my creative time is being used to develop my painting. One day hopefully I will get my story down but it won't be this year. Embarassed No

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:41 pm

IMPORTANT VS NEWS posted on the other site!!!!
http://asjbuckshot.forumotion.com/t273-2015-virtual-season

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

It's not too early to think about VS 2016... sm

Are you willing to submit a story (or two or three)? writing
Are you willing to be a beta reader (it's a thankless job, but someone has to do it, right)? study
Let me know in an pm or an email at penski_asj@yahoo.com.  thumbsup

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Heard back from a few and have commitments for six stories.  That's enough for a very short season.  Any more stories?   writing

Could use some help with producing (beta-reading), too.  reading

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 pm

horsepoker  "I'll be your huckleberry."
cowboyclap  You know I'll help in any way you need - producer, beta reader, maybe possibly another VS story iffen I can get my muse to cooperate rifle With some proddin' he might be convinced to lend a hand.

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 pm

YAY - I got a commitment for 1-2 more stories! Very Happy

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:00 pm

2thumbs Getting a full season slowly but surely... desert

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 am

Not sure if my occasional writing buddy signed me up or not.

At moment I am swamped. But, should be better after mid November, so put me down for one or two.

M

(The M&Ms had a bunny bounce)
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I did mention that the cat might come out and play...but that you were up to your paws in mice at the moment.

I may need to bunny bounce about one of the stories the M and Ms bounced too. Does that make sense?

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 pm

I think so... scratch

Who do you want to bunny bounce off of and when?

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:44 pm

For any new VS writers this season, or for any returning writers who would like a quick refresher--

The goal of Virtual Season is for readers to feel as if they have just watched a new episode of ASJ on television.  Writing should be kept very "visual" and "audible."  Thoughts and feelings of characters should be avoided.  Also, narration by the writer which a person would not be able to "see" or "hear" on television should also be avoided.

That might sound a little confusing so I've written this small sample below which will hopefully illustrate the difference.

Writing fiction in general -

Mary Ellen Brinkley walked the two mile stretch of road north, from Collinsville to her family's ranch, Brinkley's Buccaroo.  She was cold, wet, and tired by the time she stepped into the warmth of her mother's kitchen.

Writing for VS -

"Mary Ellen!  I'm glad you're home.  Come get out of those wet clothes before you catch your death of cold."

"Thanks, Ma."  Mary Ellen quickly shed her garments, shivering as her mother wrapped a blanket around her shoulders.  

"Here.  Sit closer to the fire."  Her mother pushed a rocking chair nearer the hearth and turned to the cook stove, pouring a hot cup of tea.

"I don't know what Grandpa Brinkley was thinking, building this ranch so far north of Collinsville," Mary Ellen said, warming her hands around the teacup before taking a sip.

"I'm sure he was thinking this was a right good place for Brinkley's Buccaroo.  Good water supply, nice land for grazing.  And two miles outside of town isn't really that far, is it?"

In writing for fiction, the writer can "tell" the reader whatever information he/she would like them to know.  Not so in Virtual Season.  

Looking at the first sample above, how would a television viewer know that this character's name is Mary Ellen Brinkley?  How would they know that the town is called Collinsville, or that the family ranch is two miles north of town?  How would a television viewer know the name of the ranch, or how Mary Ellen was feeling?  

In writing for VS, there is a requirement that readers be given visual or audible evidence so that they can discern the facts of a story for themselves, as they would need to do if they were to watch a television episode.  In the VS sample above, all the information is given audibly, through conversation between the characters.  It could also have been given visually, by showing what characters see, such as a sign bearing the name of the town or ranch, or stating the distance into town.

This is not to say that the first sample above is in any way "wrong."  It is just different from the VS format.

I hope this clears up any confusion on what producers mean when they request "visual/audible" writing.

Kid4ever

PostSubject: VS REFRESHER   Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:41 pm

thankyou very much, Penski

It never hurts to have a refresher course as we start a new season, no matter how long
we've been writing   writing  

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:47 pm

And you can't call him Kid..nope not allowed.
THEY will tell you off.
You have to call him THE Kid even though you don't want to.
Even though it goes against nature and stuff.  soapbox
Even though your fingers hover over THE word...nope you gotta just grit ya teeth and type it 'cos you agreed to play and if you wanna play you play by the rules.  soccer
Otherwise what's THE point!
writing

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:44 pm

However...

Characters within the story may call THE Kid "Kid" if they are ADDRESSING him! Like Wheat, Kyle, Heyes, Maz, Lom, Clem, etc. When these same characters speak ABOUT THE Kid, then they call him THE Kid. Simple, eh?

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Grrrrrrrr

lol2

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:23 pm

It's all as clear as...mud! yes

shower (This is THE KID washing off the mud) Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 am

Double grrrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:51 pm

You've gotten so much better writing about THE Kid, Maz. Heck, it'll feel natural soon! yes Anyways, I'm sure Roy Huggins would appreciate your efforts at writing about THE Kid, especially when it's a VS story.

Even new writers who don't write for VS and know Huggins' rule write about The Kid.

ty pender

PostSubject: clear as mud...   Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:19 pm

.......'A young man stood by the creek bank in the moonlight.  The two ladies moved closer to see.  They carefully hid behind the bushes and watched as the young man washed a layer of mud off his skin. His rippling muscles shown in the moonlight as he washed off the mud. One of the ladies turned to the other "Is that the Kid?" she asked.'

The VS editor stopped to think. "Hmm," she thought, "how much skin is showing?"

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:38 pm

(Quickly scanning "THE VS BOOK") reading So, is this your very subtle way of trying to tell us that one of Huggins' Rules is to leave them wanting more? Twisted Evil  

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Season   

Back to top Go down

Virtual Season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next