A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:51 am

Sistergrace: Your opening is so descriptive it draws the reader right into the story. Nice to see that Reverend Spencer managed to keep his life on track and has served his Lord as he'd hoped to do the last time we saw him. The Kid really was a people's philosopher and, without knowing it, he contributed goodness to many other lives. Nicely done!

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Inside Outlaw...I write this from the banks of the Nile :)

I could see Kid standing up there in front of all the prisoners feeling uncomfortable as he gave his speech.
Trust Heyes to rock the boat.
Enjoyable and thought provoking too.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:32 am

1) Alias Alice

Awww, poor old Heyes. Turned down like a bedspread for some other fella. I think KC was a tad rough on the school marm changing her mind. Still, I guess he’s biased in his partner’s favour.

2) Maz

I am loving HH rehearsing to play ‘first bandit’. Adoring the stand and deliver. And covering your face than announcing your name. Sweeeeeet.

3) InsideOutlaw

I guess this month’s challenge was kinda a gift to you, huh, Inside.
Oooh, don’t we love our heroic – and eloquent – Heyes going off-piste with his inspirational speech. And getting the press on side. He’s a clever chap. HEY – It’s Mister (Joshua) Smith goes to Washington!! Snirt! Loving the tag line quip, Inside.

4) Sister Grace
Awww, Reverend Spencer is remembering our very own simple philosopher… And in his last ever sermon. Sniffle. Very touching Sister G.

5) Remuda

Wire dodging one! You are early.
Indeed yes, Han – the play IS the thing. Snirt.
So, finally, Kid does come to appreciate the bard. A bit. Kinda. After all – he does strut upon the stage! Always love a duologue, Remuda.
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm

Remuda - What? Posting early? What a nice surprise when I saw this challenge. Always enjoy a glimpse of their childhood. Ahh... the description of the fallen leaves makes me hope for autumn all the more. Enjoyable challenge.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:35 am

Remuda: There's more of this stuff? Poor Kid, but it stuck with him just like it does for the rest of us. As Penski said, you left me looking forward to Fall.

Penski: LOL, we're both skeptical about how great amnesty would be. I was prepared to say you were an optimist and I was the pessimist, but you left me stunned with your last line. I do hope there's a followup. You can't leave it there!!!

Back to top Go down
Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am

Penski...

WHATTTTT??

That had better have been a trick gun going bang at the end.
I adored the long speeches and the 'what are you gonna do with the fly' - a hoot.
Dunno about the suits though - don't the magic saddle bags replicate the suits on demand??

Snirt
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Ah Remuda thou doth evoke the Bard in thy tale of woe.
Tis a sad fact that a gunslinger of such ilk shall frown upon his speech.

:) Good one

Penski!!!!
What??? Drone drone..speech speech,..buzz buzzzzz and then BANG!!!!
I am in denial and believe it was merely a prank.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am

Remuda – Like Kid, I’ve never read all of Macbeth.  I guess I just keep putting it off until tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.   Very Happy   Some very poignant thoughts in this piece, especially this one: “Yeah, easy.”  Curry’s brow furrowed.  “Maybe not so easy.”

Penski - BANG… BANG…  ???  Are you kiddin’?!  Sheesh, I guess we’ll all be holding our breath until later this month.  Wait, you ARE continuing it THIS month, right?  ‘Cause I think there’s a law about leavin’ folks hangin’ too long.  I am thinking that the Kid was more than right in this line of yours: “We’ll always have to look over our shoulder, Heyes, and you know it.”

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:35 am

train Love this, Maz.  Absolutely.  And the railroad sure WAS running late.  A decade or two.  Favorite challenge ever!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:59 am

Before I comment....    For those who remember me, a very shy and tentative "Hello."   scared

Maz - Loved the opening banter and the extraordinarily late train.  I didn't understand the reference to the woman in Michigan, but who cares.  A thoroughly fun read even without understanding the allusion.
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 am

Maz - So you just have to mention the Kid and Cullen to be the best challenge ever (in Sister Grace's eyes)? Love hearing the singing and the descriptive writing showing the train camp. With the competition of the two train lines to go further faster, both felt like they were running late. Wonderful challenge! applause

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Going back to the August stories

Alias Alice - The King's Speech.  Fine use of the prompt.  I enjoyed the banter at the end.  Particularly Kid's line, "I know someone like that."  Fun story.

Maz - Your stories are always so much fun.  I enjoyed Kid recognizing what Heyes was doing, and then not allowing Heyes to deny it.  I love it when Kid one ups Heyes.  As usual your dialogue is sparkling, but then you know that.  Do you ever get tired of hearing it?  Very enjoyable read.

Inside Outlaw - I was so relieved when Heyes stopped towing the governor's line.  I can't tolerate seeing Heyes and Curry as milquetoast mouth-pieces for the governor.  Loved the stories from the inmates, especially Bull and the pointless moving of rocks and the frost on the blanket in winter.  The line at the end about the location of the real criminals was wonderful.

Sistergrace - You captured the relationships between a devoted and long time pastor and his congregation exceptionally well.  It made me think of our own church and the complex interrelationships that develop over time.  How fitting that Spencer remembers the lecture given to him by Kid Curry. If only Spencer knew just how sinful and in need of forgiveness was the man who taught him that it isn't saints who do God's work.

Remuda - I enjoyed this story very much.  The back and forth between the grown men and the boys is touching and bittersweet.  Loved the Hamlet reference that flew over little Jed's head.  I particularly liked this transition :

“Jed, ya might change your mind one day.”

“I don’t think so ...”

~~oo00oo~~

“I don’t think so, Heyes.”

“Huh?”  The dark-haired man squinted in his cousin’s direction.

“I don’t understand anythin’ you’re readin’.  And don’t think I ever want to.  Had enough of that when I was a kid.”

The understated way they refer to the loss of their families is touching without being melodramatic.  I'm sure that Curry would have been glad to learn more speeches if it meant having additional time with his parents.  To go from their veiled conversation about their losses to that despairing speech about life's emptiness was chilling.  Lot's of clapping.

Penski - “BANG”  “BANG”  Really, Penski!!  Not Fair! Here I am reading along.  The story is lighthearted.  The buzzing fly very entertaining.  Long boring speeches.  Rumpled suits.  The stuff of comedy.  And then you cheated.  Bang, Bang.  I sure hope that you are going to finish it.

Last edited by skykomish on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Skykomish - I just saw your "Speech" challenge in the overflow thread. VERY nice! So many tiny details from episodes were thrown in that I want to go back and re-read just to make sure I didn't miss any. The dusty streets, Kid's one and only trip to Pennsylvania, his Ma the thief. And the kicker was the reason for his trip. Gettysburg! What an appropriate reason for him to travel east. That brings us to this month's prompt--The Speech. Indeed, what finer speech could there be than Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. applause Well done!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:22 pm

Skykomich - Love how Jed tells the story that answers questions the series created! I especially love the reason for going to PA. And the speech is a beloved one with most folks. Great challenge! thumbsup

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Late Congratulations to Sistergrace and Remuda. Well done, ladies!

And well done to all the other writers for their entertaining and interesting challenges! I could make a speech!
Back to top Go down
Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 pm

I've muddled up my (late) congratulations to 'The Speech' winners on the August poll comments section.

Apologies to Inside Outlaw and Sister Grace.  How could I make such a stupid mistake?

Congratulations, Inside Outlaw!  And thanks for your enjoyable story, Sister Grace!
And sorry again for my mix-up.  Sheesh!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:12 am

LOL, Alias Alice--I am totally honored to be mistaken for Sistergrace!!

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:35 am

And I am totally honored to be mistaken for either InsideOutlaw or Remuda! (Even if I didn't win a bandana from my favorite outlaw this time!) Embarassed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:43 am

Looking forward to the next challenge entries from both you two ladies!

(And I hope Remuda saw my Congratulations message, which is on the site somewhere, though I am the last person to know where I've managed to write it. Did I mention that I am absolutely hopeless?)

Thanks again for your stories and messages!
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Alias Alice - What a fun challenge with LOTS of "running late"! I can see the concern in Heyes coming out sounding as anger when the Kid finally arrives late. Cute ending, too! thumbsup

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Oh Alice so many things were running late it's a wonder they met up at all. I enjoyed that..made me smile sm

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:55 am

Maz) Another of your very funny, witty posts! What an original take on the challenge - it's the railway line itself that's 'running late'. I think only you could have dreamed that up. The whole thing was like something from one of the TV episodes.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Alias Alice - Fun challenge! Heyes was late, the Kid was really late, the telegram was late too, and the train later still. But MacTavish, he was really, really, "late!" Very enjoyable. applause

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:34 am

1) Maz

Those scantily clad women – is one of ‘em you? This gal from Michigan who likes both fellas, is it …? Is it? It is! Aoooooowwwwwww!
Cute and clever Maz.

2) Alias Alice

McTavish? McTavish? Isn’t he a sea captain? Loving the boys being outraged as train robbers disrupting their journey. Snirt. And the telegram is late too. Lovely short, Alice –and great tag lines there.

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Remuda - Oh, I liked this challenge with the great twist at the end - very clever! two thumbs

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next