A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:14 am

Sister Grace: What can I say? Heartfelt and bittersweet.

Remuda: I'm with them. In the summer heat, there's nothing better to do than lay out on the grass. Too much heat and humidity kills motivation.  :hotsmiley: 

Penski: The record's intact! Is quiet such a good thing for the boys? Sometimes it's most quiet before a storm. If I were them in this situation, I wouldn't rest easy.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 am

RosieAnnie wrote:
Is quiet such a good thing for the boys? Sometimes it's most quiet before a storm. If I were them in this situation, I wouldn't rest easy.

Funny you say that, RosieAnnie. Originally, I was going to have trouble come their way in a big way and the Kid lamenting how Heyes complained about the quiet. Ran out of time this month.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Ah, you wire dodgers caught me napping last month, but I finally caught up.

Sistergrace: I cried as I read this short piece. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my own mother last September and this really brought back how it felt to step into her house, my home, after she was gone. Truly it is the people who make our homes, not the structures. And you are so right, you're not alone and neither am I.

Remuda: hot weather, glistening torsos, what's not to love?

Penski: LOL, I could just see Heyes chafing at drifting into obscurity. Very clever.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Inside Outlaw
This is quite the atmospheric piece, well written and thought out.  Heyes' refusal to deal with his grief is nicely illustrated, as is Kid's concern.  As his partner said, until Heyes faces it, his sorrow will continue to be a source of pain.  Perhaps he'll face it now, the quiet being too still, but his mind far from it.  Great job!

Little Bluestem
As with many other lawmen who have taken our boys into custody, Sheriff Blake's ego and future fame got the better of him.  Underestimating them was his ultimate mistake.  I'll bet he'll never forget them whenever he looks ceiling-ward.  Fun story!

RosieAnnie
This is lovely.  It's sad on one hand to think one partner has passed, but nice to see the other ensconced in happy family life and with a son named for and who reminds him so much of his old friend.  I know and can relate to the quietude of a cold winter night, when nothing is stirring save for memories.  Well done!

Sister Grace
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, Grace.  This is a lovely and very heartfelt tribute.  Words cannot express all I'm feeling, except that Matthew is so right; we're never alone.

Penski
Leave it to Heyes to find the quiet and peace in not being chased and less noticed a bad thing.  A crush to his ego, perhaps, but I'm with Kid in thinking it's good.  Do you plan to continue this?  It's fine as is but also seems a good beginning for something sly on Heyes' part, or a calm before the storm.  Good job.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Maz: Brilliant!  Great way to start off this month's challenge.  I always enjoy your stories that mix historical and contemporary characters.  But I haft admit, I had to look up courgettes as I had no idea what that meant.  Poor Kid when he finds out what it really means!  This is a very clever story!

Calico: Oh, you sneaky ladies!  Now I know what you were really doing in London--conniving!  Great sequel to Maz's story.  Loved the section about the quickie…er, quiche, and the final line.

InsideOutlaw: Aww.  Lots of angst in this story!  Very evocative and well done.  Glad you had the urge to write!

LittleBluestem: Another very clever story!  Really enjoyed this, especially the reveal of where the boys hid when the sheriff came to see what was going on, and that the singing was used to mask the sound of the lock pick.  Well done!

RosieAnnie: I haven't read In Winter yet but it's not necessary as this story works fine on its own.  I enjoyed the early part when the parents are discussing what turning off the light actually means --a precious child would definitely find a way around that!  I also really liked the interplay between Thaddeus and his son, Joshua, later on.

SisterGrace: I don't want to sound trite but... I hope the act of writing this provided some comfort to you.  

Remuda: I can totally empathize with it being too hot to do anything productive!  But at least Heyes didn't have Wheat around to nag him about doing a job.  I don't know why but I really liked this line: By the time Curry stirred, the sun had advanced further west.

Penski: Nice snippet--glad you could keep your streak going!  I think Kid is right--Heyes' ego is hurt.  Just goes to show that Curry is definitely the practical one in the partnership!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Allegra: What an appropriate challenge--loved it!  Full of humor and lots of great lines.  But I also really liked the underlying serious message of the story: individual vs team effort.  This wasn't quite an allegory but the parallel circumstances fit really, really well.  And, as almost always, Heyes turned out to be right!  I think this was my favorite line: "...and if I pick up a few European mannerisms then it just shows how internationally popular we still are." <-- Yup!   sm

Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Yay Allegra great story and phew! Heyes didn't lose all their money.
Great game with extra time. And now the boys have winnings to spend on bratwurst, kaiserschmarren and beer! Very Happy 

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:00 am

Oh Maz!

I would just so love to see what Heyes came up with. Poor Kid. He knows better than to issue a challenge like that to his partner. I laughed out loud and then thought...I wouldn't half mind an all expenses trip to Frisco... Hmm - what was the name of that coffee again?  lol2 
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Allegra - You brought in the get-together and the World Cup this month!  Yep, the Kid and I are pretty darn tired after that fun week of going all day and talking all night.  Loved the Kid talking about delivering the yellow bandana every month to the winner - they are good at escaping out of places!  My favorite part is Heyes saying, “Well, let me remind you. We are not going to separate – ever – because we can only pull this off as a team. We’ll help each other or die trying. I come up with the plans and you back me up. We’re there for each other and that’s why the only way we’ll make it is together.”  Wonderful challenge, Allegra!

Maz - LOL... curiousity caught the cat (or Heyes)!  Love the line, “What’s the matter? Forgot what comes after eleven?”  Jed should have know to be quiet about it or Heyes would get involved.  With that "jingle", Jed needs all the help he can get!  Very fun read!

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Allegra:  Yay!! Allegra's back!! Poor Heyes, getting clutched too hard. Well, that's what he gets for flashing those dimples at every opportunity. And betting all their money is teamwork? Considering the eventual outcome, maybe Kid doesn't have reason to complain after all.

Maz:  Oh Jed, when will you learn to do certain activities away from Heyes' inquisitive ears and eyes? And to think that Heyes might be able to help when the problem involves "too many words?" Heyes' whole life is about too many words. But for the extra word, I think Jed's entry is a winner. After all, what more do you want from your coffee than taste and convenience?

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 am

Allegra:  It's great how you managed to combine World Cup fever with a lecture on the need for outlaw teamwork.  Very clever.  Now, about that bandanna delivery...I promise to let the boys stay in bed (resting, of course) so they can recover from their recent harrowing experience in California.  soccer 

Maz: Jed certainly has a lot of attributes, but a silver pen is not one of them.  I could just imagine his chagrin when Heyes stepped in!  applause 

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 am

Finishing up the "Too Quiet" challenges:

Penski - One quiet day.  (Insert contended, at the same time wistful, sigh)   🏖 You've pretty much summed up my feelings too!

Beginning on the "Competition" challenges for July:

Allegra - I really enjoyed the banter and the "google" research Heyes has been doing. Also loved the "team" outlook you incorporated. soccer   

Maz - Arbuckles coffee (or Heyes and Curry) in ten words:

Special blend, light, dark, smooth, spicey, earthy, intense, mellow, savory.

Why do I suddenly have a craving for a double-chocolaty mocha frappuccino? coffee 

Fun story, Maz!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Maz: Love the idea for this story!  Did Arbuckle's actually do competitions like this?  Poor Jed, trying so hard but not quite getting it, and then Heyes comes along and we know he'll come up with a winning sentence.  Hey!  You could expand this story by having the boys win the trip to San Francisco and that's how they meet Soapy!  It could be a whole new series…  (Also, now I don't need to read David Copperfield--thanks!)

ty pender: Well, that was a very different take on the entire premise of the show!  Very creative and fun.  Loved all the references to particular episodes and the haggling about them. Hmm…I'm wondering if the name Earnest was chosen as an homage to Oscar Wilde's play, which deals in part with mistaken identity…or am I reading too much into things???

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Ty Pender - Glad you jumped right in with a challenge - a unique one, too! So gone are Pete and Ben and we say hello to twins Walt and Will (though I'm not sure the dimple and deep blue and brown eyes could be changed with identical twins to make Heyes and Curry). Loved the twins talking about the different ways they portrayed Heyes and Curry with examples from the episodes. Yup... one unique challenge!

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:33 am

Ty Pender: I really liked your unusual take on the prompt and how you wove so much of the series' odd nuances into it. Especially the baby blue suit, LOL. Ernest sure has his work cut out for him, making those twins into Heyes and Curry- no wonder they have so much chemistry!

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Inside Outlaw - What a great way to get spring cleaning done at the Hole - that clever Heyes! Really loved this line - Smoke from the abandoned cigar tipped into a tin mug atop the cane table wafted to the porch ceiling and hung there like a malevolent spirit hovering above the heads of the two outlaws seated below. Good challenge.

JoAnn Baker - Welcome back to challenge writing! Loved this one and it reminded me a lot of the get-together. Even read it to the spousal unit and he laughed and said JoAnn learned well. Hmm... was even the lawman in San Francisco a nod to the get-together? The Kid is right - it could be a matter of life or death if he can't get that 12th coin. Clapping!

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 pm

InsideOutlaw: Personally, I'd be pretty mad if I'd worked really hard at something only to find out it never was achievable from the get-go! I suppose the gang would forgive their leaders in exchange for the whiskey. Some people can be bought oh so easily! Fun story and it does show off the boys' thinking skills. I also like the mention of Gully.

JoanneB: Gosh, this seemed like it would be a humorous trip down memory RL lane but…then it turned real serious. I liked how it wasn't clear what the competition actually was until the end, and the last dialog exchange was very sobering. I enjoyed this.

Back to top Go down
joannb

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Allegra – I love how you brought in the World Cup, our Sacramento trip, and funny contemporary references. I thought of you while watching the game - congrats to Germany! It was very sad when we had to return the boys…I hope they made it back to Wyoming and caught up on their rest. My favorite lines: “You mean soccer.” “It sounds to me as if you just googled that.”

Maz – As a coffee lover, I liked your Arbuckle’s slogan competition. Kid should have known better than to challenge Heyes to a battle of words though…

Ty – What a fun take on the show! You worked in all of the funny, snarky bits like the blue suit, never getting dirty (almost never), self-sufficient, overly calm. I really enjoyed Will and Walt’s conversation about what makes the characters—the clothes, the guns, their attitudes.

IO – Spring cleaning at the Hole! That’s one way to keep the boys busy. I wonder if I can use this technique with my children…
Back to top Go down
joannb

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Nice one Penski! See, if Heyes would only practice a little...he could be good too  sm  Kid really go the boys motivated and proved to them that a little practice and a little incentive could really improve their accuracy. Of course I loved the ending where Kid shot all six chips...I was waiting for that! Gotta cool off now... :hot:
Back to top Go down
AllegraW

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Ty Pender - Twins playing Heyes and Curry??!! I will admit that that thought had never occurred to me but the thought of twins swapping the rolls in different episodes is evilly amusing. Then listening to their takes on some of the episodes was great fun. Bet I could tell 'em apart though. Heh heh!!

Inside Outlaw - I hope Hannibal Heyes is aware that if you send a group of boys off on a mission to sort out and find things that, almost certainly, one is going to end up with more mess and chaos than one could believe was possible before. Then again, he's actually an outlaw leader and those boys might actually do as he says and tidy up or be shot by the Kid whereas mine...hmm...well...  Super fun story. I loved it.

Joannb - Very sensible Kid - and what ambition. He's quite right - he can't afford to miss, and to combine that with a solution to inevitable squabbling if cooped up in a cabin - well, he's out-planned Heyes there and won that competition too. (If there was one for plan of the day! LOL)

Penski - Nothing like the potential for being shown up to get Heyes' competitive juices flowing. And he's not afraid to get some advice to make it - very sensible. Glad that everyone is a winner too - after all, it's the way they 'earn' their livin' - those rascals. And Kid - well, he's just the best...shot at least. There's no competition there is there. Loved it.  
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

JoannB: I started out thinking this was going to be a light-hearted piece but it got serious very quickly. Kid Curry can never lose his edge--not for his own safety, but the safety of his partner and men. That's a heavy burden to bear.

Penski: Boy, those Devil's Hole boys are lucky to be getting shooting lessons from Kid Curry---they should be paying him. Loved the whole exchange between the Kid and Heyes over his lack of practice. Also liked Heyes rightfully pointing out he had to win the contest and the Kid telling him to practice more.

Back to top Go down
ty pender

PostSubject: tasting notes   Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

A lot of tasty bits on this month's challenge!  Will we get any more before the midnight deadline?

Here are a few 'awestruck comments'  that I stuck in my craw and flew away with, for future ingestion.

AllegraW
Yes, it's about time the boys adopt a 'few European mannerisms' or at least give it a try.  German beer, salami and bratwurst are a good start.  Bratwurst is ubiquitous in US now - in fact it is very often the only pork sausage available, unless you call the dinky little 'breakfast sausages' sausages.  Chicken and turkey 'sausages' are in favor now to avoid dreaded pork fat; but they are in fact just as fatty. And Texas beer made by German immigrants was the most popular beer out west in the nineteenth century.  Personally, my favorite German beer is Kolsch.

Maz
The original formula Arbuckle's is back! According to their website http://www.arbucklecoffee.com they even make it available in an Ekobrew Reusable Filter for the boy's Keurig Brewer (although I don't understand how they could have had one back then....). This coffee is made in Tucson with the dried egg white and sugar coating.  Perhaps one of our members (she knows who she is) can go and taste a cup since she now lives in Tucson. Can you post your tasting notes? (I hope you are a coffee drinker)

Maz - just wondering what that one liner ad would be: Strong flavor, strong aroma, for strong men. - under a drawing of a gruff cow poke.

Penski
'Hayes' darted around the town's square where there were contests of all sorts - pies, pie eating, jams and jellies, ....'  Apparently that wasn't good enough for the Kid.  He had to offer 'this 100 proof Irish whiskey and Cuban cigar.'  Yes, a bit of Powers Gold Label in my morning tea is just right, although it is only 80 proof.

Anyway, Heyes ended up sharing the whiskey; but I bet he didn't share that Cuban!

Cheers to all the writers!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:13 am

Remuda: Loved this! Both of them not remembering what started it in the first place, but both of them too stubborn to concede.

Back to top Go down
Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am

1) AllegraW
Ah, the heady get together week and the world cup. How long ago both seem. Sigh. Poor old Heyes with his bruises. If we follows Mark Twain’s advice, we’d be able to dust him for fingerprints and identify the culprit. (Seven completely innocent faces – wasn’t us!)
Awww – this is turning into a rather sweet little homage to the benefits of team work. Bless!! Well, we now know HH won his bet, don’t we? Did the boys help you celebrate, Allegra? At least you fed them well, huh?

2) Maz
Bless you HH, too nosey to give up and too ornery to admit you’re curious. OH! Young Jed is having a try at a slogan. Wonderful. Mind you, Jed. Miss Maz will never let you go to ‘Frisco even if you win. She only allowed your clone to come to the do. ‘…It tastes good and you can make it in a cup.’ I love it. I intend using that sentence about tea, frequently. Hmmmm. Methinks Mizz Mazz has cleverly avoided giving us the HH eventual sentence though!

3) Ty pender
Hey, hey!! We have a new entrant! Who knows all he has to do to win a yella bandanny is work out how women think and what they’ll vote for. In a month. Snirt.
You – you wiped off the faces we lurved? How could you? However (fingertips tap, thoughtfully) identical ex-outlaw twins do raise a myriad of interesting mathematical and athletically challenging possibilities. Hmm.
I’m sure KC would love it if the characters were interchangeable. Think of all the time he’d save not having to tally up his lines versus HH’s lines on his script copy, only to find he’s under 33% again. Snirt.
Could Earnest come do my make up. I’d like to be staggeringly beautiful with a fetching tip-tilted…
Whaddya mean it’s a lip-brush not a magic wand??!!
Oooh – a story that meets all our expectations.
‘Course you have to have a tender spot for the ladies, Kid. But not TOO tender – ‘cos all the Curryettes know you haven’t met the right gal yet. They’re working on it. Indeed Maz has the cellar with the dangling manacles all ready.
Loving the thought of those slow, deliberate movements, Ty. Let me mull on those awhile. Maybe with freeze frame.
The suits come out of the magic saddle bags, Ty. They’re an early leather version of the tardis.
And, there is NOTHING about (or in) Heyes’ pants that these ladies haven’t noticed!
How clever and original was that! Clapping and smiling hard here.

4) InsideOutlaw
Hello bandanny holder!! Hope you have it laundered and pressed ready for the next lucky winner. So, Heyes and Kid have set the gang a little competition have they? Oh, Heyes! You wily one. That was one fun ficlet, Inside. Consider yourself head rubbed.

5) Joannb
Kid Curry practises his shooting amidst the trees north of Sacramento. Why does that sound kinda familiar? He’s hitting coins? Sheesh, small. [Mind you, he’d save money if used the casings as targets, huh?] Another one edging on the poignant there. Liked that, Joanne.

6) Penski
It is the hostess with the mostess.
Oooh – can we see our favourite Monty shooting the plates?? Not that we don’t love Kyle. Is anyone going to beat Wheat? In the gang that is…? Waiting, waiting…
No Monty! Booo!
I tell you what I think though … I think Kid has plates in those bags.
Nope – I’m wrong. Shooting poker chips, huh?
(Mind you – since the DHG famously never shot anyone, does it matter they can’t shoot? Rather like ‘the pirates that never do anything’ presumably their victims merely hand over the money in the spirit of literary tradition.)
You see, you’d be okay with this, Miss P…
Gosh, pretty fancy shooting, Kid. (Ty – take that disbelieving smile off your face! She’s giving the audience what they want, okay?)

7) Remuda
Oooh – so what’s the contest? Heyes having the sun in his eyes through losing the toss makes me think tennis… But sure it’s not tennis. It’s a tug of war! (Or should that be a tug of brotherly lurve, bless). Of course Kyle cheers for both. How huggable is that little fella?
How clever are you to have the rope break???
And the boys realise it’s the perfect ending. That was smart writing there, Remuda.

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Remuda - I'm wondering, with Heyes and Curry, how they got talked into a tug of war contest!  I could see neither wanting to lose and digging in no matter how much they were tired or cramping.  What a luck break for both of them (pun intended)!  Good writing!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next