HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

FanFiction Writers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penski

PostSubject: FanFiction Writers   Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Enquiring minds wanna know...

How long have you been writing ASJ fanfiction?

What was your very first ASJ story?

What made you decide to write an ASJ fanfiction?

Have you written for any other fanfiction besides ASJ and what genre?

PenskiASJ

I started writing in February 2009.

It was the monthly challenge - No Love Lost. I've written a monthly challenge ever since. First "real" story was Lom's Story, written in the summer of 2009.

This darn little "bunny" multiplied into a mini-story and wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote the story down on paper. Then the next month's challenge I had another "bunny" that obsessed my every thought... And then the next month... Well, you get the idea.

Nope! I haven't had a "bunny" for anything but the boys.

================================

Remuda

Great topic, Penski!

I've been writing ASJ fan fic since rediscovering the show in early 2010, having started several (yet unfinished), with the first completed story being one for the May challenge, "Crossover," last year. I've written since I was a kid, starting with stories (before it was called "fan fiction") for westerns such as Laredo and Bonanza, so I guess it's a natural progression to ASJ. I enjoy trying to come up with something each month for the prompts -- nothing like being challenged!

JoannBaker

I starting writing fanfiction with the first Virtual Season in the summer of 2004. I originally signed up to "help" by beta reading or helping with website that was being created. I didn't have a lot of confidence in my writing at the time, so I never presumed to actually "write" a story. I was encouraged by the others to try it, and I wrote Double Jeopardy, which became the season opener. When it received favorable comments, my confidence got a boost and I tried writing more stories. The whole experience also gave my self esteem a real boost, which was desperately needed at the time. So, in many ways, I owe a lot to fanfiction.

I have read many different fandoms, but never written anything but ASJ.

Max/calico

Ooooh - you posted the questions!!

I started writing about Christmas 2006 after a lot of lurking.
I first posted a chapter or two of fanfic on 12th Feb 2007 (and treat myself to a computer so I could do it at home for my birthday that year)

The first one I wrote was 'Professional Secrets' - the young Houdini one. (Gosh, did I write and rewrite and rewrite THAT one!)
The first one I posted was 'Local Knowledge' - the dude ranch / dude trip one. I posted the second first just 'cos it was chapters and I wanted to see if I could get folk reading.

Lurking. Thinking - I could do that. Having far too much time on my paws at work!!

Nah! I lurve all you ladies (and gent) too much. Why would I stray among other folk while you dole out the tickles and the warm fuzzies.

EleanorW

Interesting topic, Penski.

I've been writing since I was a child - I can recall writing stories about tv characters I liked as far back as when I was 9 years old - although I didn't know at that time what I was writing was 'fanfiction' I just liked writing stories about the various tv shows I enjoyed watching.

The first full ASJ story I wrote was called Retribution, which I originally penned shortly after Pete's death, but which was reworked several times during the following decades before appearing online in its present incantation [there's no saying I won't decide to alter it again in the future ].

I've written fanfics about pretty much every tv show I ever watched, at one time or another, as well as writing original fiction of my own, most of which have now been lost in the mists of time, but ASJ was my favourite tv show above all my other favourites when I was a kid, and the charisma between the two lead characters and the unending premise of the storyline made it easy to write a variety of different storylines, which is why I've written more ASJ fanfiction than other genre.

GiddyUp

Since May 2010. So, more than 1 year now.

The may 2010 challenge Double Crossed.

I've been writing fan fiction since 2007 so when I encountered ASJ a few years ago it felt natural to write something.

Yes I have been writing in other fandoms and still do. I mostly write general stories. But I've also written some angst and h/c before.

silverkelpie

January 2011 -

Friends and Foes on wetpaint

I was laid up, bored and enjoying the writing.... I took a deep breath and thought I'd have a go.

Nope... only this.

StormR

Wow, great question. Let's see, I started writting fan fiction in the summer of '06 after being encouraged (pushed) to do so by some friends but didn't get the nerve to post anything until April 2007. I started with Small Falls but Posse was written before Small Falls was finished. Why? those dreaded bunnies that keeping hopping until I let them out - they got so persistant I could hardly think of anything else. And, ASJ is the only fandom I've written anything for.

HutchyNStarsk

Since September 2010.

The Flip of a Coin
http://aliassmithjones.livejournal.com/86439.html

I couldn't resist!

Yes, I started out in "Starsky and Hutch" in 2009. Then I found "Alias Smith and Jones" in 2010. This year, I discovered "The Professionals." I write in all three. These are my "keepers," though I've dabbled in other fandoms. (I wrote one long story for "Here Come The Brides" and a bunch for "Psych" before retiring from that fandom. Etc.)

I expect I'll keep writing for all three of these shows for some time, as I seem to keep getting ideas. The amount I write in each varies, however, and sometimes I don't write much ASJ for a time, then all the sudden, I have a bunch of fic ideas.

As for genre, hm. I suppose my favorites are humor, H/C, angst, and missing scenes.

Fortitudine

October 2010.

The Five Second Fuse, a challenge.

Max talked me into it.

I started writing for "Laramie" last winter, as well. Also a western but with a completely different feel.

Ghislaine Emrys

Since July 2008.

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit [sic] of Happiness, for the July '08 Story Challenge.

I rediscovered ASJ in late winter/spring of 2008 and read everything I could find online. When I'd exhausted everything out there (as far as I knew), I decided I had to write stories of my own if I wanted to read more. :-) I'd found this board and had an idea for the July '08 Story Challenge, so I spent five days writing it. Then I read it over and over, trying to perfect it, and finally hit the Post button. Kind comments from board members were encouraging so I decided to continue writing.

No other fanfiction but ASJ. Years ago, when I was reading all the Star Trek novels I could get hold of--before I knew about fanfiction--I had an idea for a Deep Space Nine story but having to include the technical details was off-putting so I never pursued it. However, under my real name, I have written around 15 - 20 articles that have been published in educational journals and books; and I also founded, published, and edited a peer-reviewed online journal for teacher trainers for ten years. In addition, a travel article I wrote about Indonesia was published in an Australian magazine about 15 years ago and earlier this year, a short account of a Peace Corps experience that I wrote was published in a book commemorating the 50th anniversary of the founding of Peace Corps. For a time when I was in junior high and high school, I wanted a career as a writer so it's great to finally have an outlet to do so!

beejaycat

Since 2004

Oracle Jones II

I took some of the fanfic I was reading with me on a trip to Cambria. I even brought some into a tea house we ate at to read. I was addicted! That evening, my husband, who had never read any of the fanfic, said I could write something better(there's love for you). I told him I didn't have any ideas, but the bunny simply hopped into my head that night. I scrawled the idea down, afraid I would forget it, and then hid it in my stocking drawer for a few weeks. I was encouraged by Rina on ASJ Board to write up the bunny.

Nope

FrankieASJ

I rediscovered AS&J in 2006 and read every bit of fanfic I could get my paws on. I have always written stories in my head since I was very young (see this year's tribute story in the VS season!) but had never thought to write them down - much too lazy. Finding ASJ again also encouraged me to learn how to use a computer - in the constant quest for more info, pics and stories.

I started 'chatting' with Eleanor on another board, as I had particularly enjoyed reading her stories and she encouraged me to have a go. She read through my first story ( Not The Man) and helped me out a great deal. So, if you want someone to blame for my writing speak to Eleanor!!!! Once I'd found my writing wings I was off.

Just over a year ago I discovered The Young Riders - thanks to Ghislaine and have nearly finished my second story for that fandom. There are more characters to play with but I'll certainly be writing more AS&J when my life gets more settled - at the end of school holidays, when hubby goes back to work and when things settle down with my Mum - but I WILL BE BACK!!!!

Frisgogirl

I''ve loved reading all your "histories". Gee, I think I've been writing ASJ for about a year. I think I found the site on a Google search after I screened the dvd series again. It was always one of my favorite shows.

I've been writing my own stories about tv shows since I was 10. Started with "Laramie"...Route 66...and especially The Fugitive. These were stories for me and my friends; never crossed my young mind to DO anything with them.

In college I started writing screenplays and trying to sell them. Got a nibble at "Lancer"...as well as "Streets of San Francisco". Typical of my "luck"... Michael Douglas quit the show the summer I submitted, so my story was inappropriate.

I wrote a LOT of Star Trek (original cast) stories. Just for my own viewing. Then got caught up in work and set the fun writing aside for awhile. I wrote two ASJ stories...again just for myself...and really enjoyed it. When I found the site, I "lurked" for awhile, and finally dove in.

Now I am hooked. I love the community on line and the responses we give each other. You are all so supportive and fun, and by writing in the "challenges" I have broken my bad habit of STARTING stories but not finishing them, when the plotting got tough.

EleanorW

Reply to HutchyNStarsk
This year, I discovered "The Professionals."

That's amazing, HutchyNStark. Few people in the USA have ever heard of it. I've written a lot in that fandom too over the years. It was an excellent show, probably my next favourite after ASJ. It was England's equivalant of Starsky & Hutch

EleanorW

Reply to FrankieASJ
I started 'chatting' with Eleanor on another board, as I had particularly enjoyed reading her stories and she encouraged me to have a go. She read through my first story ( Not The Man) and helped me out a great deal. So, if you want someone to blame for my writing speak to Eleanor!!!!

Can't work out if that was meant as a compliment or an insult!

sistergrace

Great questions! Lots of fun reading everyone's responses too. Here's my answers:

Since early 2007.

What was your first ever ASJ story?
My first story was Hope and a Future.

What made you decide to write an ASJ fan fiction?
Trust me, it was not a 'decision' to write. It was more of an Obsessive Compulsion. I had been adding a sentence here or there to a group story on a former site, belonging to Rina, and one day I was struck with an overwhelming bunny of my own. If you've ever seen the movie Ghost, this bunny was more like Patrick Swayze's character, singing chorus after chorus of Henry the Eighth inside my brain until finally, in desperation, I agreed to write his dog-gone story! I finished it within a few days, held my breath and hit post. I've been addicted ever since. Honestly, I think I've been writing inside my head for a few decades, although I never realized that I was writing.

Have you ever written for any other fan fiction besides ASJ and what genre?
I've never considered writing any other fandom. Genre? I'll answer by paraphrasing Forrest Gump. "Grace's writing is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get!"

Iona Graham

Great topic Penski

I started back in Aprii 2007 soon after I joined Rina's old site.

The first one posted was a challenge written for The Lie back in September 2008. I have written and posted 2 other challenges since then.

I dabbled with writing historical fiction as a teenager and had read some ASJ fanfiction and thought I would give it a go myself

I have a few plot bunnies since watching The Magnificent Seven series last year but not actually got anything written yet..although one involves a crossover with ASJ. Some of the fandom writers for that series have also created stories for the Seven as modern day peacekeepers.

HutchynStarsk - I loved watching The Professionals when it was first on over here. Doyle was my favourite in that. Which one do you prefer - blond or dark?

FrankieASJ

Reply to EleanorW
Reply to FrankieASJ

I started 'chatting' with Eleanor on another board, as I had particularly enjoyed reading her stories and she encouraged me to have a go. She read through my first story ( Not The Man) and helped me out a great deal. So, if you want someone to blame for my writing speak to Eleanor!!!!

Can't work out if that was meant as a compliment or an insult!

I'd take it as a compliment but it is all your fault!!! I'm very grateful to you for all the help and encouragement but not so sure others will be - I meant that challenge thing, which continued into 13 parts did go on a bit!!!

skykomish

I wrote my first story for the February 2011 challenge, so I guess that is 5 months.

The February Challenge story, Silent Invitation.

Like many of you, I have always concocted stories in my head. I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't make up stories and tell them to myself while trying to go to sleep. After I rediscovered ASJ (when the first season DVDs were released) I was researching Roy Huggins on the internet and found all of your wonderful stories. I had no idea that fanfiction existed before that research. Once I joined this site, you were all so warm and welcoming that you made me want to play too. So, I typed out one of the ideas that had been rattling around in my skull and eventually hit post.

Nope, just this one.

RosieAnnie

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING AS&J FAN FICTION?
My first story was in the Feb. 2011 challenge. I'm definitely a newbie.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST STORY?
"Miss Eliza's Statement"

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO WRITE AS&J FANFICTION?
I'd been lurking and reading other people's stories for a year or so, and finally realized that I really, really wanted to play with my two favorite outlaws. Were it not for being restricted to long, loooonnnggg periods indoors during the Snowmageddon of Feb. 2011, I might still be making up stories in my head only.

HAVE YOU WRITTEN FOR ANY OTHER FANFICTION GENRE?
Nope, this is it.

HutchyNStarsk

I really enjoy reading everybody's responses!

Sistergrace--I loved how you said your writing is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get! LOL

In response to EleanorW:
That's amazing, HutchyNStark. Few people in the USA have ever heard of it. I've written a lot in that fandom too over the years. It was an excellent show, probably my next favourite after ASJ. It was England's equivalant of Starsky & Hutch

I found "The Professionals" through Starsky and Hutch fans. A friend recommended it, another kind fan gave me a tape with a few episodes that had been given to her...and I fell for the show. I've now watched more than 2/3 of it and am happily writing away. And I'd love a link to your fics, if you have one?

In response to IonaGraham:
HutchynStarsk - I loved watching The Professionals when it was first on over here. Doyle was my favourite in that. Which one do you prefer - blond or dark?

I'm all about Doyle! Bodie is great too, but it's hard to tear my eyes away from the gorgeous curly-headed spitfire. He's not really blond, though his hair is lighter than Bodie's. I'm finding the show a lot of fun.

EleanorW

Reply to HutchyNStarsk
In response to EleanorW:

I found "The Professionals" through Starsky and Hutch fans. A friend recommended it, another kind fan gave me a tape with a few episodes that had been given to her...and I fell for the show. :) I've now watched more than 2/3 of it and am happily writing away. And I'd love a link to your fics, if you have one? I PM'd it to you.

I'm all about Doyle! Bodie is great too, but it's hard to tear my eyes away from the gorgeous curly-headed spitfire. Hate to spoil the image, but his curls weren't natural, his hair was permed for the role. He's not really blond, At that age his hair was chocolate brown, against Bodie's almost black shade. though his hair is lighter than Bodie's. I'm finding the show a lot of fun.

nm131

It's been great fun to read everyone's responses.

I have been writing ASJ fanfiction since the June 2009 challenge "Heyes is Gone" starter paragraph.

The first real story written was "Terms", which grew out the above first challenge story. Terms was posted in parts and finished 3/2010. I'm not a prolific author.

I had been a lurker for about two years after rediscovering ASJ and discovering that there was a whole world of fanfiction that I never knew existed. I read everything I could find on the internet and was reading the challenges on an earlier version of this board. I am not a writer - never liked to write, haven't written anything creatively since school and only when it couldn't be avoided, when out of the blue, on a rainy Sunday afternoon, a compulsion that couldn't be ignored caused me to act totally out of character and post my version of the June 2009 challenge. Some very kind and encouraging remarks from authors on this board gave me the desire to expand the challenge into a full fledged story. Ghislaine and Penski, primarily, are responsible for the story, and anything else I've written, actually being finished and posted.

No, I'm still amazed at myself for writing ASJ. Now that I've been introduced to Fanfiction I read other fandoms but only write ASJ. (Mostly Lord of the Rings - The book is my favorite book of all time and the movies, while NOT as good as the book, were very well done for an adaptation. I don't think I'm up to writing quality LOTR fanfiction since there seems to more zealousness in the fandom about getting the middle earth facts and history, ect down and little less forgivness than ASJ fandom. There are way too much poorly written, plotted and just plain junk stories already in LOTR. If I did write LOTR, the stories would center around Faramir or Aragorn.)

I may not write but I will confess that ever since I can remember I have daydreamed or dreamed stories about favorite characters from books or movies.

MazMcCoy

I seem to be a late entry to this.

So here goes

Since 2006

What was your very first ASJ Story?
Nephratitis

What made you decide to write ASJ Fanfiction?
Like so many of you, I have always written. My earliest memory of fanfic writing is of a story I wrote where Lassie rescued yet another hapless child from being trapped under a log...or was it falling down a mine shaft? So many clumsy kids so little time.
If I didn't actually put pen to paper I was writing stories in my head about my favourite TV characters.
Then I dicovered ASJ fanfic and read everything I could find. Some good, some not so good and ideas began to flow.
Then Ben came to the UK and I met some of these fan fic writers and they were...normal people.Shock!
They encouraged me to post a story. I mulled. I put pen to paper on a long plane journey and then I....posted!

Have you written for any other fanfics?
No. Kid and Heyes have my full attention where writing fanfic is concerned and boy are they demanding. Make me the hero in this one. Don't shot me again! I want to open another safe. Please don't let ED have her way with me...blah, blah, blah! Sheesh!

PostSubject: Re: FanFiction Writers   Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 am

Glad you re-posted this topic, I love reading others answers. Let's see with mine.

How long have you been writing? What was your first story?

Since last September's Challenge -- (Authentic Experience) -- called The Beginning.

Like many others, I had been lurking for a while (maybe 6 months) since rediscovering ASJ and discovering its fanfiction world. I wrote in high school, but really haven't written anything creatively since college -- although I write quite a bit for work (but definitely a different genre). Decided I wanted to join, and the September prompt lead to a bunny that wouldn't stop jumping on me until I wrote it down. I've done at least one, usually two challenge stories a month ever since.

Nope I'm a 1-outlaw (or really 2 they just form the perfect whole together it seems like one) gal.

Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: FanFiction Writers   Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 pm

This is an interesting topic :) Guess I'll put my two cents worth in!

How long I've been writing ASJ stories?
Since last year

My very first ASJ story?
The New Adversary (which can be found on fanfiction.net)

What made me decide to write?
I've been writing stories all my life. ASJ has always been my favorite show and I got a book about them that was published in 1972. I started searching for stories because I love to read about them and came across fanfiction. I instantly fell in love and wanted to write my own! So I finally posted one after much debate with myself. I usually get pretty nervous when others read my work. The positive comments just provoked me to write more :)

Have I written any other fanfiction?
Nope

PostSubject: Re: FanFiction Writers   Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 am

Since last month. Very Happy January 12th to be exact.

A short story called 'Ruffing It'.

I'd been itching to do an ASJ fanfic ever since my best friend, Alltrekkedup, introduced me to the show. I scribbled around for a while in my notebook while we were on a drive, and 'Ruffing It' came to me.

I've been 'officially' writing fanfiction since April 2012; my first story being a Rawhide fanfic called 'Incident of the Sterling Fox'. Other fanfics include Wild, Wild West, Black Sheep Squadron, and Hogan's Heroes. I like to stick to westerns though. :-)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FanFiction Writers   

Back to top Go down

FanFiction Writers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1