A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

It's a snow day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 am

We've got a foot of snow in Chicago, and the snow is still falling. Yes, it's the dreaded "lake effect." And now the man clearing our parking lot (bless him, bless him, bless him) tells me that the East Coast, and New York City, are expecting 16 inches of snow.  wow 

anybody else out there having a snow day?

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:47 am

I wish!  We need snow desperately in the Sierras but there's nothing but sunny, balmy days in the 10-day forecast.   sunny 

Send some our way, please!
  thumbsup

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am

We only got about inch here but it is on top of our ice. I can say my stove up body is tired of the cold already

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:59 am

Still snowing here. It began late on Dec. 31 and it has been fairly constant ever since. The local weather said it was supposed to stop a couple hours ago. I keep waiting to see if it will EVER stop, before going out to shovel...again! prairiedog 

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 am

Penski, if I could send you some of our snow, I would. We're up to a foot of snow in the city, and we're actually getting another 4"-8" of Lake effect snow before it's all said and done. Some of my facebook friends in the north and northwest suburbs measured 22" and 24" of snow.

Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm

It was 76 degrees today. I'd love to send all of you some  sunny  as it doesn't feel at all like winter here. I realize winter my way is only cooler temperatures and occasional rain, but I miss it.

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh yeah!  Supposed to go back to work Thursday but school was cancelled today and Friday.  (So that makes a nice two-week winter vacation, although now we have two days to make up at the end of June.) The MA state government, as per orders of the governor, will be closed tomorrow, too.  Here in the northeastern part of the state, I estimate by looking out my window that we got about a foot of snow.  It snowed steadily from morning to night.  It seems to have stopped now (not quite 1am) but since tomorrow is supposed to be worse, I guess it'll start up again at some point.  Local news was forecasting up to 18 inches Thursday evening.  The temperature on my porch around 9:45pm read 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  So glad I still have power!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:03 am

Stay safe and warm those of you in the Midwest and the East. I read the headlines, and it looks like it was so cold in NYC that the authorities advised people to stay indoors. And, I remember MA as being colder than New York, so stay in and keep those tootsies warm, Ghislaine!

stormr

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 pm

The snow stopped early this morning and the sun is out though you couldn't tell by the temp!  The wind has also slowed down - it made shoveling nearly impossible this morning as the wind basically blew snow in place of the snow you just removed!!!  Oh and if I made the mistake of not facing the right way, you got slammed in the face with snow with the gusts of wind!  Supposedly it has made it all the way up to 16 degrees though my outdoors thermometer disagrees.  We only got about 8 inches but that's more than enough to shovel in the wind and cold - the wind was the worst part.  Tonight the city is supposed to be 2 degrees which means we will be below zero - first time in a very long time!  Time to hunker down, watch some tv and sip some beverages. sm

They were telling people to stay inside and to be very careful shoveling, going as far as giving the signs of hypothermia because the wind chill was well below zero. They were saying it would be only minutes for frost bite on exposed skin. The told parents to wait until the sun was out and limit kids time out sledding. They repeated over and over again how dangerous the temps were.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Looks like Monday will be the worst in Chicago. The "high" temperature for the day may be minus 10 Fahrenheit.
 No No No No No No No

Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:19 pm

We might get a little snow, but I doubt it will be much. The South has its advantages, but we tend to get ice instead. Hang in there everybody in the snow zone! Stay safe and warm!
HW
 bal 
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:35 pm

It is so cold here I can't imagine it will snow but it is out at dodge city and headed this way

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Sounds like an evil outlaw - headed your way from Dodge. Maybe Marshall Dillon will head him off at the pass! (If there are any passes out that way - I don't guess there are).
HW
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Here's a link to a pretty good article discussing this weather. I've never heard of a polar vortex before. They say this happens periodically, but if you are under 40 you've never lived through one of these.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140104/DAB3UT982.html

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Another 8"-11" predicted by tomorrow night. Already got about an inch. Then the temps drop. The massage school I work at will be closed on Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday, the temps will be "up" to 20 Fahrenheit. I may run around in sandals and a t-shirt!  Laughing 

Luckily, I have a cat, a bottle of wine, and a story in progress. All will be well here!!  two thumbs

Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:11 pm

We fans of the story will look forward to results from this weather, and your fertile brain and fingers. I'll bet there will be plenty of work for you and your students when people can get out - all those stiff muscles after snow clearing.
HW
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Here's a little factoid that may get your bunnies hopping. Today in Montana, lows reached -52C/-61F.  very cold 

We've seen "Night of the Red Dog," and that's one story of what can happen when people are locked in all winter. But what about this kind of brief, intense cold snap? A lot of dramas and comedies take place in one room, or one home, because people simply can't get out.

In fact, ideas are popping already . . .

Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Or murder mysteries. Isn't it strange that, for a comedy, the original series included the solution of two series of serial murders?

Hang in there, RosieAnnie. Be safe and warm, you and all the folks in very cold places. Please don't freeze solid! How many cats do you need to get through a night that cold? I hope you have enough.  
HW

purr purr purr
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Pssssst RosieAnnie don't play RedDog with those you are shut in with.....reports are that never goes as planned

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Wichita Red  panda 

Today's was the bottom of the cold snap. We're going up to zero degrees on Tuesday. They tell us we'll be in the 30's by Friday, and through the weekend, so maybe some of this 18" of snow will melt. It's all good. This kind of weather is definitely conducive to writing, especially with a warm calico kitty sitting alongside.

Back to top Go down
ChristinaASJ

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 am

I hope you are all keeping safe and as warm as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's a snow day!   

Back to top Go down

It's a snow day!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1