Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Preference?

Go down 
+10
Nightwalker
chelseagirl
Cal
Alias Alice
WichitaRed
HelenWest
Yope1995
Cornelia May
InsideOutlaw
BeeJay
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 pm

From the old board:

BeeJay

We've got so many members now, I can't keep track of who is a Heyesian and who is a Kidette. Can you put your preference here? I think that may help some of us, who are more feeble minded, when it comes to uploading a pic for a birthday message, etc.

Thank you

PenskiASJ

I'm proud to say that I am BI-PARTNER!
I love Kid for some traits and love Heyes for some traits.
Together, they make the perfect man!

CarolineMcK

I must confess... I am loyal to both. Loved Kid first, and now very much appreciate Pete's Heyes.
I refuse to choose. I am a firm believer that you need both to create that very, very special magic. Please don't ask me to choose just one, because I can't .

Frisgogirl

I guess I'm a Heyes gal...but Heyes wouldn't be Heyes without the Kid at his side. So it's a tough call. I just notice that when I write my main focus is usually on the dimpled one!

Call it, Kid! Heads...or Tails?

sistergrace

I'm afraid sistergrace suffers from a chronic condition known as "Ben-ingitis."

Symptoms: Racing pulse, sweaty palms, weakness in knees, inability to speak coherently at the thought of "Him."

Contracted - January 5, 1971

Cure - None

Treatment - Continual writing of fanfic centered on The Blue-Eyed One, featuring That Other Fella. Watching of any given number of Ben-isodes* consecutively until symptoms pass.

Pick a name that fits: Bennie, Kidette, Light-sider

*Ben-isode - Episode of any television show, movie, etc. in which Ben makes an appearance!

skykomish

BJ - I'm glad that you've taken a break from posting about silly things, like how to make the board work properly, and moved on to something that really matters.

Hmmm.. Light or dark, huh.

I fell for the dark hair and brown eyes when I was 13 and have never wavered. I find that any man must have dark hair and eyes to catch my attention. I wonder if my attraction to darker men, is why I always prefered Heyes, or if my facination with darker men, was caused by Heyes.

The irony is that I admire Curry. I think he is more honorable, but he doesn't make my heart pound like the dimpled one does.

Remuda

For my own lack of clever words, I beg to echo Grace, to wit:

"Pick a name that fits: Bennie, Kidette, Light-sider"

As well, might I also borrow from the very wise Friscogirl, albeit paraphrasing a bit:

"but [Kid] wouldn't be [Kid] without [Heyes] at his side."

Hope that answers the question well enough. Of course, I enjoy writing both, but it's the light side that sets my heart a-flutter...

FrankieASJ
KID CURRY 4 Ever!!

nm131

Kidette, Curryette, lightsider,or Bennie

Take your pick, but I'll agree they're best as a set!

Given two equal choices of similar merit, I'll almost always go with the blond.

silverkelpie

Love them both but favour the dark side slightly more..... mostly..... Heyes was first though.

GiddyUp

Well, this is difficult... I agree that they work best together (Ben & Pete that is, Roger did his best, I'm sure, but he didn't have the chemistry that Pete & Ben had.)

Also, as a guy (the only one as far as I know), I'm not sure I fit as a Kidette or Heysian, because, well, both factions has... how should I put this... "girly" names. (No offence!) Esp. Kidette.

I do lean towards the dark side, strangely because IRL I like blondes. Perhaps I can relate more to Heyes than Kid, although Kid is a good man and Heyes a bit more cynical. Anyway, I've taken up enough time here, thank you.

In condlution, I like them both, I just like Heyes a little bit more, like 40/60%

Keays

I love Penski's response that she is Bi-partner! But as much as I have come to appreciate Curry over the years, I lost my heart and soul to Heyes so many many years ago. When I received the DVD set for Christmas last year and got to watch the series again, I found that my preference had not changed. Unless we are talking about the 3rd season, then Curry took over number one spot.
Not to carry on too long here, but sometimes I wonder if Roger Davis had taken the role of Hannibal Heyes right from the start, if that would have made a difference in my preference between Roger/Heyes and Ben/Curry but I don't think so. Peter just brought a special magic to the role, not to mention the chemistry between him and Ben. That just couldn't be replaced. Also, as I have mentioned on other threads, I found the Roger/Heyes character to be rather mean-spirited and I wasn't comfortable with that. Curry was always such a nice guy, for a gunslinger.

GhislaineEmrys

Heyes or Curry: Who do I choose?
It’s true the blond one doesn’t lose
Out in the fashion contest
But, overall, I’d have to say
That dark-haired silver-tongued one is the best.
I’ll take Heyes over Curry any day!

HutchyNStarsk

Ah! Look what a great conversation I've been missing out on by not signing in often enough~!!

Well...I was intrigued by ASJ after reading some rather lovely fanfic for it. I thought it sounded interesting, and liked the idea of the characters.

But...I wasn't completely sold on the idea of buying the show to watch...until I saw a picture of a moody-looking Pete. It was him in a yellow sleeveless shirt, I believe, sort of leaning, with his hair sort of long and slicked back. It was originally from a Japanese magazine.

Yes, I can still remember the first picture of Pete Duel that I saw.

Okay, so it was only a couple of years ago. ^^;;

But...yeah. Heyes girl.

Fortitudine

A Heyesienne since '71 but I married a Kid. What that says about me, I'm not sure!

If all else fails - duck. As a defensive stratagem it's unreliable but incredibly re-assuring for a moment or two.

JoannBaker

Still a officially Kidette I suppose, although I must confess some bi-partner traits. I can't have one without the other!

StormR

Haven't been here in awhile - I'm so glad I was able to stop by and chime in on such an important topic. I'm a HEYES girl through and through. Have been since the show was originally on.

RosieAnnie

Heyes, all the way. Wey.

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly." "The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."

IonaGraham

When I first saw the show in the early 70's it was Heyes I loved, then when ASJ was shown again in the 80's I changed sides ( seeing Ben in Winds of War about the same time probably had something to do with that).I am definately a Kidette but I do believe that when it comes to ASJ you can't have one without the other - like fish and chips, strawberries and cream.

Together they are a perfect combination.

EleanorW

Anyone who knows me knows where my allegience lies.
I'm 100% a Heyes/Pete girl. No contest!

"Death is not the end of all, yet just the close of a glorious fall..." PD

Max1

Heyes for me...

HOWEVER, very happy for Kid to come see me and try to change my mind!!

Leading a model life of temperance, moderation and tranquility...

Talma

I spend so much time lurking and not doing I feel really ashamed, so...crawling in and slinking out again...Heyes (Pete), though again, without the Kid he just wouldn't be the same, so sometimes I'm nearly torn. sometimes.

SariyaASJ

I'm a Kidette

AllegraW

(whispers) "I quite like Heyes..."

HutchyNStarsk

Just wanted to add that, while I take this thread to be about who I find most attractive and fascinating...I really do like both characters, and the whole show, very very much. :)

And as others said, it wouldn't be the same without either of them. In fact, for me it wasn't the same even with both of them, but with one played by a different actor.

I wanted to add that in case anyone thought I was only sighing over Pete Duel's handsome face. I mean, of course I do that, too, but.....

Ah, maybe I should shut up now!

Countryrosie

I'm a Heyes girl. Always was and always will be one.

CarolineMcK

This is going to seem a little ... strange but so far I haven't seen any Roger fans respond to this thread. Are there any on this board?
I must confess that I am not a fan (of Roger's) even though I saw his Heyes first in syndicated reruns in the late 70's. Pete won me over very quickly when I finally saw him.
Still... I need both Pete and Ben.

justmetess

heyes all the way

Riders57

I was a kidette (or whatever from the start), but have to admit since I got reaquainted with the show and the fanfiction, I am moving more towards bi-partner mode (or whatever)

beejaycat

Interesting. I always thought the Heyes and Kid fans were about even on this board, but the Heyes fans do outnumber the Kid fans. Maybe the Kid fans are more vocal here! Or maybe because we are writing about the boys, so many of us like to write about the Kid; I have always found it fun to write his point of view.

I read part of it all the way through. Samuel Goldwyn

Kid4ever

Was jus' prowlin' around an' ran across this here old topic an' decided I'd better add my two cents worth even though it is long over with...
Guess my name might be kind of a big clue, but jus' in case anyone's still in doubt...

CURRYETTE through and through.

Yep, the sandy-haired one with those awesome blue eyes captured my heart in "Name of the Game" waaay back when and he's never given it back.

Not that I'm askin' for him to return it, mind you

After NOTG, as Kid Curry he rode even further into my heart an' like the 'bad' outlaw that he is, he stole the rest of my love.

I DO have to concede a point and that is that one DOES need both of them together to create the magic/chemistry, so I DO appreciate that "Other fella" with that dimpled smile...

"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down..." Abraham Lincoln

Joannealine

It has to be The Kid every time, but the dimpled fella is needed for the chemistry to work.
Jo

InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 8:00 am

Heyes gal all the way. I love those cute, demented, genius types.
I love Kid, too, just differently!
Back to top Go down

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:51 pm

I think deep down in my heart, I'm desperately in love with Kid Curry. Even though there are times when he makes me cringe with some of his antics, when he gets serious and stares down the barrel of a gun, or when he's all lazy-back but totally in charge. . . and when he smiles. . . okay. . .you get my point.

I adore Heyes, too, that dimple, that sharp wit - wouldn't toss either of them out with the wash water but if I was picking one to spend my days with it would be Heyes (for conversation) but I'd spend my nights with Kid.
Back to top Go down
Cornelia May

Cornelia May

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm a Heyes girl. I guess it's because we both like reading.
Back to top Go down
Yope1995

Yope1995

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm a Heyes gal too! Ever since I first saw him and that dimpled smile, those laughing and sometimes serious brown eyes that make me just wanna melt in them, and- okay, okay I'll stop now. Though I do love Kid too, I've fallen for Heyes. :3
Ilike the way InsideOutlaw put it, "I love those cute, demented, genius types.";D

Last edited by Yope1995 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
HelenWest

HelenWest

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I'm a newby here, but a Heyes/Pete girl since I was about 9 - when the show came on. I think the Kid looks like a Greek god, but Greek gods aren't my thing - Heyes is! Hi there, all! Glad to meet you!
Helen
Back to top Go down

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 pm

I love the Kid,love his hair,eyes,his smile. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Alltrekkedup wrote:
I love the Kid,love his hair,eyes,his smile. Very Happy

You mean those dishwater blond curls? https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t300-demo-craftic-processes#3463

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 am

🌈 Yes,those dishwater blonde curls!

Love the story! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Yope1995

Yope1995

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 am

Or maybe "Gorgeous blond, dazzling blond, sun-kissed blond", as Maz put it? Very Happy

https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t299p15-amazed-praise#3524

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Hannibal Heyes   Preference? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm

I am new at all of this and sometimes feel unsure how to proceed. However, one thing I can say without hesitation is I am a Heyes fan. He was literally the first man I fell in love with and Pete was the first one I cried over. I have to agree with skykomish too... I have always been attracted to dark haired, dimpled men - I'm married to one even. My sister even jokes I chose him because he is a Hannibal Heyes. I think there was more to it then that. I will say though, since I bought the DVDs and have been re-watching the shows I do appreciate Kid more then I had in past. But, always I will be for the one and only Dark Eyed, Dark Haired, Dimpled, Witty, Vulnerable, Loving, Chaotic Hannibal Heyes --WichitaRed
Back to top Go down
http://www.redrockphotography.com

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Wichita Red, you're doing just fine. Glad you decided to jump in and post. Look forward to many more from you. sm
Back to top Go down

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Well, I am not strictly a newbie anymore, but it seems I never confessed to my preference.

I am a big, big sucker for blue eyes. So I am a Kid fan all the way! This might explain my fascination for Paul Newman, I truly dig Daniel Craig and yes, I did find me a nice pair of blue sparkling ones occupying my living room couch...my hubby (aaaaah!)

I completely understand why some of you prefer the intriguing and intelligent Heyes and I must say no Kid without Heyes or the other way around. I, however prefer the strong silent types and my most favorite episodes/fanfiction stories are those showing the gunfighter side of the Kid. It was the case when I was about 10 and I still feel that way.

Glad you girls revived this topic!
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Niekx,
I have noticed I too enjoy the gunfighter side of the Kid. It is great how they are so sincere, sweet at times and full of humor however their dark Outlaw side gives me a thrill. We know they are two pretty good bad men -- but it is the bad boy that makes me pay attention. I know shame on me. But it is true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redrockphotography.com

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:39 am

Curry-girl through and through. At first because everyone I encountered online seemed to be a Heyes-fan and I felt sorry for Kid being left out. *g* When I first started watching ASJ (despite not understanding most of it because it wasn't subtitled), I always felt more drawn to Kid. He was the constant factor in my ASJ experience. But later also because I realized I liked both Heyeses equally despite them being very different Heyeses but liked Kid better.

Back to top Go down
Alias Alice

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Preference   Preference? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 am

Got to be The Kid!

Heyes is great! - And I love their partnership - but even the Heyes gals have to admit that the Kid is all charm! (As well as being the fastest gun in the West)!

Back to top Go down

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I fell in love with the Kid at age 11. My best friend went for Heyes. Both are drop-dead gorgeous, but Kid's personality is what did it for me. When I rediscovered the series two years ago, all the objects of crushes I've had in the intervening years paled in comparison.

I think a big part of the attraction is the partnership. Kid Curry without the real Heyes (Pete) is just not the same and I can hardly bear to watch the later episodes. (Plus whoever was in charge of wardrobe really fell down on the job!)

I realized recently that I married a Heyes -- which is probably why it didn't last... A really great guy with a silver tongue, but just not the right one for me...
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Kid or Heyes?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 4:59 am

ooooh difficult one.

I married Kid Curry...given my recent rediscovery of the handsome twosome, I thought I'd paint them for my study wall...my Kid's asked...why did you paint dad in a cowboy hat! Its the gunslinger I fell for...the real Kid...Thaddeus Jones was sweet....but....Jed Kid Curry was exciting.

Hannibal Heyes was a slow burn...I came to the series the first time after Pete was gone...so I don't think I ever let myself get too smitten.....BUT....its impossible. No one can be immune to all that charm, devilment and charisma....

Conclusion....

the heart belongs to Kid draw

the brain would love to spend time with Heyes. horsepoker
Back to top Go down
chelseagirl

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 am

So, only a year or so after the last reply on this thread!

I was 9 when the show aired, but my family watched something else, and I didn't see it until the 90s. I was at a party -- someone had managed to come up with a VHS tape sent by a friend in an area where it was being syndicated -- because another friend had mentioned watching it growing up and wanting to see it again.

I was pretty much thunderstruck by Pete/Heyes. Who was this guy? He was amazing -- why hadn't he been in like *everything* ever made since?

And then found out why. As I recently said on an FB discussion thread, I was in the unusual position of learning about Pete's death when I was still recovering from Kurt Cobain's. I got obsessed with reading and writing fanfic to keep the character going, and maybe to complicate things a bit, to make it a more challenging role for him. (Not that I don't like sweet or funny stories too.) But that was in the 90s up to about 2001 and then I got caught up in other things. Until last summer, when I had a serious relapse, which seems to be ongoing.

So yeah. The Kid is fantastic, they are a great partnership, but Heyes is definitely my focus.

Back to top Go down
Nightwalker

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 3:40 am

I like them both, but I lost my heart to Heyes.
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 am

New member on the forum here. I first watched the show in 1997 and enjoyed it, but I liked them both pretty equally. On a whim in September I bought the boxset and as I ventured into online fandom, felt very sorry for the poor neglected gunslinger. It didn't take long for my determined focus on the Kid to harden into a genuine strong preference for him. I find the Kid's wardrobe in S3, however indecent by 1880s standard very appealing.

Last edited by rachel_74_1 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To correct too many commas and bad spelling)

EleanorW and Penski like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Gan Ainm

Gan Ainm

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 pm

I first encountered ASJ at the tender age of 5 when it was originally broadcast in Germany. I have to admit that I do not remember much of it, but I do remember that I loved the boys, their sense of humour, the strong friendship, the adventures, and I drove my friend(s) mad by insisting we play nothing else but Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry for a while. In fact, watching ASJ is one of my earliest childhood memories. To my utter chagrin, I cannot remember which one of the boys I preferred back then. I do remember that I usually had to let my friends decide who they wanted to be if I wanted to convince them to play ASJ.

Time passed. Over the years I never met anyone familiar with Heyes and the Kid, and I started thinking they might have been imaginary childhood friends that I made up. Unfortunately, I could never check on the internet, because I couldn’t remember the name of the show (and the title was probably changed to something utterly unrelated in German anyway). Imagine my utter surprise and delight when, one day, after moving to the UK, I accidentally stumbled across the pilot episode during a re-run in the 00s. My childhood friends were real, after all. Well, they are!

And then it happened, only a few minutes into the pilot: Heyes/Pete glimpsed oh-so-carefully around the train car door and stole my heart to never give it back. I was smitten. And I still am.

Guess my reaction when I started searching on the internet and found out about Pete. He had been dead long before I ever watched my first episode, and I had never known...

I can appreciate the blond one’s more classical good looks (hey, I was a massive Paul Newman fan in my youth), but those brown eyes, that smile and the killer dimples, the way he wore those chaps… Ahem. I am also more drawn to Heyes’ character. He has so many layers and sides, there is always something new to discover. I love his scheming, his simple pleasure in things, his optimism, his sometimes not being able to resist temptation, his love for reading, his skills with cards (and reading people – essential if you want to win at poker) and I also like his dark side. Maybe I can relate better to someone who seems to feel comfortable spending a good amount of time in their own head (thinking, planning, calculating, analysing,…). It also helps that Pete was a really good actor. He had true stage (or screen) presence. He is even good when the focus is off him and he is simply supporting or reacting to someone else. I am not saying that Ben was not good in ASJ, but I still think that Pete was better.

So I guess you can call me a dimple slut, a dark-sider, a Heyes’ gal. I’ll happily plead guilty to all.

That said, I agree with previous postings: For the ASJ magic to work, you need both. It is their unshakeable friendship, trust, loyalty, the way they complement each other, and the chemistry between Pete and Ben, which creates the true magic of ASJ.

As for stories – Naturally, I love Heyes stories. Of course, I love stories that feature them both, as long as they are in character. When done right, they are the best. I have also read and liked Kid-alone stories, if they are well written. And I have liked everything from complete silliness to death fics. I also enjoy stories about some of the other characters from ASJ. The boys don’t even have to be present at all, on occasion. What can I say? I am a glutton.
But if an author repeatedly relegates Heyes to a minor character who only seems to get mentioned as an afterthought, because he is, after all, the Smith in “Alias Smith & Jones”, but the entire story swirls only ever around the Kid, it will annoy me, in some cases to the extent that I no longer read stories by that author.
Back to top Go down
EleanorW

EleanorW

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Gan Ainm I think you just summed up every Heyes/Pete girl's thoughts thumbsup

Gan Ainm likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
rachel741

rachel741

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Quote :
But if an author repeatedly relegates Heyes to a minor character who only seems to get mentioned as an afterthought, because he is, after all, the Smith in “Alias Smith & Jones”, but the entire story swirls only ever around the Kid, it will annoy me, in some cases to the extent that I no longer read stories by that author.

This is exactly how I feel from the flip side as a Curry fan.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Kattayl

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Always and forever a Curry/Ben fan. I was in high school / college when it first aired and the blue eyed outlaw had my heart from then on.

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Preference? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preference?   Preference? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preference?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Discussion Spot :: ASJ Characters :: Heyes or Kid-
Jump to: