A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Joshua and Thaddeus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penski

PostSubject: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm

We know Lom Trevors gave the boys the names Smith and Jones, but where did the names Joshua and Thaddeus come from?  Family name?  Just liked the sound of it?  Heyes flipped a coin?

Why do you think Joshua and Thaddeus were chosen as first names?
 scratch

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 pm

In my stories, I have those being their respective fathers' names. It allows the boys to keep hold of something from their lost families, even while using foreign last names. I believe that someone said another story had the same explanation. It makes sense to me that they would choose names that were familiar and easy to remember.
HW
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Maz McCoy came up with a very plausible explanation. I hope she doesn't mind that I post a link to her story here. It's one of my favorites.

http://aliassmithandjonesfanfic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=403&Itemid=84

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

My online security reports the Maz story page you gave as an attack page! So I don't dare to go to it. Rats! Maz always comes up with great ideas.
HW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm

On Sunday, in response to a question from LF asking about a certain story in the "Where's That Story" thread, I noted the Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fic site had a Trojan.  Unfortunately, it looks like it hasn't yet been fixed.  Also, its related site, the Pete Duel Site and message board, was also transmitting the same Trojan.  There was a similar problem with the Drena Hills fan fic site several years ago, and it was eventually fixed.  Hopefully, the ASJ fan fic and Pete Duel sites will be safe soon as well.

I'm presuming Rosie Annie is referring to Maz's story, "Deciding on an Alias," which is also posted on Fanfic.net, along with a lot of her other titles.  No wacky goings-on there.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7769216/1/Deciding-on-an-Alias

Last edited by Remuda on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Just saw Remuda's post about a Trojan virus on the other fanfic site, as I was composing this response. Helen, you'll just have to trust me, it's a really good story.

Sorry, Helen. I just clicked on the link myself, and it took me straight to the story, no problem.  I'll spell out the website here, with all sorts of extra spaces so you can't click on it, but you see what it is and can type it yourself.

www.   alias smith and jones fanfic     .com

Click on "general fanfic" and you'll see a list of writers. Scroll down to Maz McCoy and click on her name. Once her list of stories comes up, you'll have to scroll down quite a bit till you find "Deciding On an Alias." And that's the one.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

I just updated my earlier post because I found the story in question on another site. Here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7769216/1/Deciding-on-an-Alias
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Rosie Annie, are you using a Mac? If so, you might not be affected by the Trojan.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks, all, for the warning and the link. I'll run a scan and hope that cleans up any problems. I'm not seeing any problems listed at the moment. I do remember that story!

By the way, I looked up Hannibal in the Oxford Dictionary of First Names. It says "English form of Annibale, extremely rarely used as a given name." So Heyes is right! Annibale is Italian. It is said, in the same book, to derive from grace or favor and the god Baal. And of course it comes from the Carthaginian general who attacked the Romans. It all seems very far from Kansas and Wyoming.
HW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Perhaps not the most popular name around, but there's at least one well-known example of "Hannibal" in American history -- Hannibal Hamlin, Lincoln's first vice president. Of course, he took office after our boy would have been born, but the name was certainly around. I'll presume, though, that Heyes was named after the Carthaginian general.

As for Joshua and Thaddeus, the ASJ bible says Huggins wanted good, 19th century names. Otherwise, I love Maz's explanation in "Deciding On an Alias."
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Interesting topic....I have honestly never thought too much about it. Funny how we will take some things at their exact face value. But, now that I sit and ponder the ideas put forth, I believe I shall vote on the side of they chose the names themselves. Even, like the idea that they named each other. I also do feet preference to the idea of them being their Father's names but a part of me says, "no." simply because Heyes never speaks of the past. And, as our authors have brought to life it is simply to painful for him...so I imagine hearing his own Father's name over and over would be a small form of torture. So diving deeply into our made up world I love so much...I think I will go with the idea they named each other. 'Course they would have done better too if they had changed at least one of their last names. Smith and Johnson..yeah it doesn't ring as true or Smithers and Jones but they could have at least said Lom stumbled on the name and their lives would have been far less suspicious as not being Smith and Jones.

Speaking of which, try explaining to a child the joke behind Smith and Jones they just look at you like you are crazy. Why? Because I could not come up with a single Smith or Jones that we know and here I am telling her it's a very common name.

HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm

But actually, it is Heyes who talks about how the boys lost their parents and blames their becoming outlaws on that. It's in the very last episode. It;s very hard for me to watch because Pete Duel was already dead by the time the outdoor dialog was looped in by a voice actor. So Heyes does sometimes talk about it - just rarely. In fact, in the series he shows very little distress about it at all. I guess I see the use of the names of their fathers as more comforting than torturing, but that is just my personal approach.
HW
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 am

I agree with Wichita Red on this one. I think in my world they would have randomly picked their first names. To me, these are men who used aliases for their cons and robberies and probably changed them as often as their clothes. I guess everyone's choices are based on the attributes they see or instill in the characters. I think that is what makes this show so interesting. To me, these two men would not have risen to the heights of infamy without being ruthless to some degree and terribly pragmatic about doing what they needed to do.

Maz's story was a great explanation and seemed very in character (at least as I see them) to me.

I googled Thaddeus and Joshua and found these names origins: Joshua was a biblical name and most of the websites say that it means "salvation". Wikipedia says that Thaddeus means "courageous heart". I thought that was kind of interesting and wondered if it had any meaning to Huggins when they were chosen.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Well in TOF I had Heyes comment that he didn't mind people continuing to call him 'Joshua' even though he wasn't wanted anymore. He had picked that name in the first place because he liked it so he was quite happy that some of his friends who had originally met him under that name preferred to use it.

I think it would probably be the same for the Kid. He picked his own first name because he liked it.

PostSubject: Re: Joshua and Thaddeus   

Back to top Go down

Joshua and Thaddeus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1