Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Do You Write?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:54 am

After some debate of where to put the following I decided this was the most appropriate place.

I'm reading a book called: Why We Write edited by Meridith Maran. It's a series of interviews with 20 highly successful authors including Isabelle Allende, Terry McMillan, David Baldacci, and Sue Grafton about writing. Each author's segment has a brief extract from their most recent book, some "vital statistics", and their answers to a series of question on writing -- why they write, how they write, the best and worst moments, etc. and finally a few pointers for would be writers from each author. Fascinating reading I highly recommend it.

Anyway, I thought some of the questions were interesting for us fanfic types too. So I'd love to see folks' answers to the following questions:

Why do you write?

Do you have a set method of starting/writing/etc? (for example, Isabelle Allende starts each of her books on January 8th, David Baldacci while he was still working full time as a lawyer always sat down to write from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. 6 days a week)

What has been your best moment from writing?

What has been your worst?
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 pm

I write because I enjoy it and I love creating something that someone will get enjoyment out of.

Do I have a set method?
Not really. I have to be in a certain mood to write though. When the mood is right, I can write almost anywhere with anything going on around me.

My best moment in writing?
I would say the first positive comments after I posted my first story. I normally feel like nobody would want to read what I write so it feels good and gives me encouragement to know that people out there enjoy it.

My worst moment?
Finding out I wrote something that isn't good. I can handle criticism, but I think everyone feels a little bad if you write something that isn't well received.

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Why do you write?
Because I have to. I've been writing in many genres since I could remember.

Do you have a set method of starting/writing/etc?

Nope, just write as the mood strikes. I find the best time is in the evening when things are quiet and the distractions of the day have ended.

It's not one moment per se, but those times when it just seems to flow, and positive feedback is always nice.

I can't think of a "worst," except if things aren't flowing. Then, I'll usually just wait until they do. I hate to have to "force" it.

Last edited by Remuda on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 am

Why do you write?
I started writing after a life changing accident, as I was suddenly sedentary and had a lot of time on my hands. My creative outlet had previously been playing live music, and I really missed it.
Do you have a set method of starting/writing/etc?
Nope. I just sit down with my laptop and type. When it stops being fun, I'll stop doing it.

I'm probably too critical, but I'm never happy with anything I do.

Finding out that I'd spelled names wrong. I don't write in my first language, so wrote what I 'heard.' Hopefully, that's fixed!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 am

Why do you write?

Since I was a child, I've always loved making stories up in my head about favorite characters. I was the designated ghost storyteller around the campfire while my daughter and her girlfriends were young. I never really got around to writing until I found the ASJ fanfic. These two characters inspire me.

Do you have a set method of starting/writing/etc? (for example, Isabelle Allende starts each of her books on January 8th, David Baldacci while he was still working full time as a lawyer always sat down to write from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. 6 days a week)

I had a tough year at work last year and suffered from insomnia so I would wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning and get up and write. It was relaxing to me to divert my mind from looming problems. Fortunately, I'm sleeping better now, but I don't have as much time to write either so I'm trying to get up early a few days a week. I have to have the house quiet.

Posting my first story and getting comments on it. I felt like a real writer!

I can't say that there's really been a bad moment. Negative comments don't really bother me. I find they are often more constructive than positive ones. Maybe when I find myself writing myself into a plot 'corner'.
Back to top Go down

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:15 am

Why do you write?
I started writing to improve my English and because after reading some other fanfic I thought, "I can do better than that!" (tad bit arrogant, I know)
But mainly to improve my English. And it worked!

Over the years I've come to realize that I write stories the way Freddie Mercury writes songs. sm Put the plot down on paper while it's still fresh and work out the details later. My drafts can be rather chaotic as a result for example: One scene completely written down, followed by "bit where Heyes and Curry discuss plan", completed scene, "bit of dialog that might probably fit in here" (but usually ends up somewhere else), "five scenes of nothing, a completed scene, etc. The main plot line is usually immediately in my head. The scenes follow in no particular order. Once all the scenes are done, I check whether their order still makes sense or whether I have to move things around.

Winning a Silver Oakie at a Robin of Sherwood convention would classify, I think. Plus, after collaborating with JoAnn Baker, someone said that they couldn't tell who wrote what, even though we had never written a story together before.

Writer's block.
Or getting my first ever feedback from my beta. Now, the latter wasn't necessarily bad but it definitely was a reality check. I wrote my first ever long fic and, because it was going to be published in a fanzine, an editor would take a look at it, also because my first language isn't English. But I had an 8 average in high school so my English was pretty good. I was proud as a peacock when I handed in the first five pages. And turned pale-white when I got it back 3 days later with 10(!) pages of corrections and feedback. Shocked The editor was a good one though. She did not just say, "This is wrong." but would also explain why it was wrong. I learned for example that in English, people don't sit on their squats like the dutch do. English people just squat.
I learned a lot from the editor and I'll be forever grateful but I'll never forget that moment of shock when realized I how many corrections I got back that first time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why Do You Write? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Do You Write?   Why Do You Write? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Do You Write?
Page 1 of 1