Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calico

PostSubject: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

There's been a suggestion we have a
'Story of the Month' Challenge...

So...a few suggested groundrules...

(Feel free to shout up if you wish to tweak the 'rules'. It won't do you any good - but feel free!)

1) A topic will be posted monthly ...(Suggestions for topics welcome. If we get oodles some democratic hat device will be used).

2) No style restrictions. Stories / Just beginnings / Short Scenes... all fine.
If you fancy doing a song / verse / one of them japanese things beginning with an aitch / script - Feel free.
However ... entries using interpretive mime might be problem!!!

3) The upper word limit is 3,000 words! This is a limit NOT a target!

4) There is NO lower word limit!

5) NEW RULE by popular request... So folks can read thoroughly enough to enjoy joining in the vote, entries are limited to one story per writer per month.
NOW, for the prolific ones amongst you who have bunnies hopping like mad - a 'Challenge' overspill area will be set up for any extras you wish to post - just for sharing not for polling.

6)If you want to do a story about one of your own Original Characters from your regular fanfic ASJ world ...no problem

7) It's an open board - so keep it PG13, ta.

8) Hidden in the phrase 'monthly' challenge is a deadline... Midnight in the farthest utter East timezone on the last day of the calander month.

And the usual...

9) No scratching, no biting , no gouging... Of each other that is! If you want to scratch and bite the boys - up to you!

Please - join in!!!

Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:47 pm

I have a question about the challenge.
Suspect

I posted my entry for Flashback this month...leaving a cliff hanger because at the time I didn't have anymore to add...but now I have finished the tale and it is within the 3000 word limit.

So the question is....can I edit my entry to add the rest of the story? reading

I don't want to upset any other contestants.

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 pm

As a contestant-to-be (my entry is about 90% done), it does not upset me if you add the ending. Especially since I want you to help Heyes!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm

I say: Go for it, Maz!  I don't think that's really any different from doing regular editing--you're just doing somewhat more than the typical inserting/deleting of text but it's still editing in my opinion and it's before the deadline, so why not?

Besides, like RosieAnnie said, I wanna know what happens!

On the other hand, you could also post the ending in the Overspill area and then upload the entire story to your website as the complete whole.  It would depend, I guess, on if you want readers to vote on a story with a really good cliffhanger or if you want to wrap things up and present a resolution to the story and have them vote on that version.  confused

Or you could wait and see if your ending would fit into next month's challenge prompt...

Is this any help to you at all?!?  jocolor

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Calico

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 am

Judges ruling...
Yup, you can change it post posting - not a problem.

Whatever is up at midnight on the 30th Sept is what gets polled.

Please slide the usual pilchard bribe my way. Purrr
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm

She wants a whole pilchard? Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: judicial inquiry regarding post-midnight posts   Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:57 am

Calico -

On Sept. 18 you adjudicated as follows:

Judges ruling...
Yup, you can change it post posting - not a problem.

Whatever is up at midnight on the 30th Sept is what gets polled.

I assume this means that changes must be made before midnight.  Does this also mean that stories posted AFTER midnight cannot be polled?

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Calico

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:12 am

Hello there Ty,

Stories posted after midnight cannot be polled, BUT... and I quote

"Midnight in the farthest utter East timezone on the last day of the calander month."

(It is just possible I mean utter West - I get a bit confused!!"

Now, I tend - being only a humble timepiece not a Tag Hauer - to treat that as Greenwich meantime plus ??  11ish / 12 ish ) because again I don't want to be a scratching of my head on summertime.

SO - any ladies who could only be this side of the Wire by claiming a posting on the international space station, might find their paws trapped by the rules and the poll already posted.

Ladies who - faces smeared with camoflage and ears flattened to their backs as they race to the finish:stage:  - manage to post before a leisurely second mug of British Breakfast Tea, at a very civilisied British (Greenwich!) pre-elevenses / noon time...  Well, they've dodged the wire!!   I could say they should, in spirit be wearing an Hawaii grass skirt and flowers - but a certain pair of ex-outlaws assure me they DO in fact spot them wafting those grassy covered hips as they type!!!

mush mush

[HOWEVER, the boys are bringing YOU a special pair of early bird yellow cufflinks, using a piece of the ACTUAL wire as fasteners for being so 'encourager les autres' first out of the trap last month !!]
Back to top Go down
ty pender

PostSubject: Midnight de jure   Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:36 am

Calico -

Thank you so much for your adjudication.  

I admit I was a bit confused by 'east' in your original post since the sun always sets in the west on my side of the planet.

In any case the absolute deadline then would be the stroke of midnight in the Samoan time zone, is that correct? Any further excursis would be welcomed.

The following site provides some interesting factoids about the use of GMT (UTC) and times zones, which were adopted during the years the boys were tromping around.  There are some story possibilities there.

http://aglobalworld.com/time-zones/world-time-zones.php

Thanks again - in the best of humor.
Back to top Go down
ty pender

PostSubject: PS   Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:24 pm

PS: Thanks for the cufflinks Calico!
Back to top Go down
Calico

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 am

If the Samoan Islands are that place where theoretically you can paddle out your canoe to the date line and wobble with one foot in today and one foot in yesterday - then yes!! That is where I mean.
Hey - no 'boat' smiley.

Right - going to stare morosely at wood cutting equipment and try and think of wise things to say.
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:45 pm

What about the guys on the international space station?

PostSubject: The Time on the ISS   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Well...whatever time it is in any GMT country.

http://astronautabby.com/the-international-space-station-time/

As long as the posting time stamp is before midnight of the last day of the month, it really doesn't matter if the poster has set his/her time preference for Samoan time, Iceland time, or anything in between....

Strictly IMHO - I am not the one to judge... sunny

PS: Choose your time zone carefully if you are trying to beat the clock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW6QqcmCfm8
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:06 pm

I moved a couple of posts from the challenge thread into a thread of their own under The Town Crier today. Please remember, a few comments about the new story topic are fine, and no doubt appreciated by our Mighty CalicoCat Leader (especially if you tell her how wowed you are by the new prompt), but once stories are posted in the thread and the challenge is afoot, please post all your awesome comments in the awesome comment section, and all other topics in more appropriate, non-story threads.

bal

Cal

PostSubject: Word count...oops   Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 am

hellowave Cal again...the rookie 2thumbs

oh dear....loving the writing...but I'm a bit wordy.,..my stories are coming out at 6000 to 9000 words, I probably need a good edit, but I'd love to share some of them. Thanks for accepting my wordy effort this month....but now I know there's a word limit I want to stay....straight! sorrykitty

I also got a tale involving a train massacre... Not dreadfully violent....but not PG13...

Be kind...

Where can I stick my stories? huh
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

Cal, there are several places to post your stories.

1. Stories: Alias Smith and Jones where you are a member. I created a spot for Stories by Cal. Let me know if you need assistance.
http://asjbuckshot.forumotion.com/
2. Fanfiction.net
https://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Alias-Smith-Jones/

Good luck posting!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...   

Back to top Go down

The Rules!!! NB: Last Tweaked 1st Sept 2012...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1