Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Preacher, et al.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Preacher, et al.   Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

I was watching "The Waltons," which I've seen tons of times, and in comes Yancy Tucker, a recurring character. Now, I've seen Yancy help some of the Walton males get into mischief, but this time, all of a sudden Yancy disappeared, and there stood Preacher -- well, Preacher in 1930s attire. Can't figure why I never made the connection before, but there he was. Of course, we've all seen the various actors playing lots of roles over time, and Robert Donner certainly had his share.

So, I was just curious if anyone else had this experience, where a minor ASJ character hid in plain sight. I thought it funny that as many times as I've seen "Yancy," his alter-ego as "Preacher" so totally escaped me, until now.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Well, when I saw Sound of Music again recently, it did kind of strike me that the Kid had been kissing one of the girls - and not the oldest one either! That's the girl in the box car, folks, in case you forgot. That was jarring!
HW
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Good one, HW! Louisa von Trapp, aka Heather Menzies, from "Boxcar 3." Forgot about that connection.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Good heavens Remuda! You're right. As soon as you said Yancy I suddenly pictured the Preacher! Probably would never have noticed it myself--I am not terribly observant; typical creative soul walking around with my head in the clouds!

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Remuda wrote:
So, I was just curious if anyone else had this experience, where a minor ASJ character hid in plain sight.

Sort of but not quite. sm

After rediscovering ASJ and become interested in this period of US American history, I started watching movie Westerns to see how they handled costuming, set production, props and so forth. I started to notice there were actors in these movies who also appeared in the TV show. That's why I started my blog, ASJ in the Movies and More about the Old West -- to point out connections, actors as well as other aspects, between the movies and the TV show.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 am

I haven't noticed that I've seen other ASJ characters but then I'm fairly clueless on that type of thing. The question caused me to look at Robert Donner's filmography on IMDB and I was surprised at how many things I've seen him in without realizing it, including the fact that he's in three different episodes of ASJ, playing different characters -- one each season! As I said, I'm clueless about this type of thing.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm

You have to watch a lot of very, very old television and movies to have those folks show up. If you do, they are everywhere. Including our own boys, of course! But the weirdest thing to me is the way the same actor could play multiple characters and the same character be played by multiple actors (so painfully in our case) in the screen culture as people accepted it in those days.
HW
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Fimple   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

Myself...the first time I saw Kyle I recognized him as Sparky from M*A*S*H* because I watched it growing up and in re-runs and didn't get ASJ till 1984. So it took me as funny to see Sparky being so simple. Now I only see him as Kyle

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 pm

I saw Kyle as a gas station attendant on the Andy Griffith Show. He was in one episode but I was like, "That's Kyle!"

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preacher, et al.   

Back to top Go down

Preacher, et al.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1