A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Biographical

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HelenWest

PostSubject: Biographical   Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Happy Birthday to Pete Duel and greetings to all the Pete fans out there! Hard as it is to believe, he would have been 73 years old tomorrow - February 24th.
HW
bal
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Biographical   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 pm

It is certainly a day to acknowledge Peter's birth date. So, I raise a glass of wine in his honour and thank him in my heart for leaving us all such a wonderful legacy. Here's to ya' Petey! CLINK! thankyou

PostSubject: Re: Biographical   Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 am

Happy birthday, Peter! bal

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Biographical   Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Now that I've become involved in this AS&J fanfic world, I think about the lives of Heyes and Curry and their future. I can easily see Kid Curry as an older man, because Ben Murphy is still in this world. Oh boy, does he look good. That baby face he had as a young man has served him well in these later years.

And then I wonder, what would Pete look like as an old man? There's a photo of him, I'm not sure in which book it was published, in which his hair is combed back so that the hairline looks higher. There are a lot of wrinkles in his forehead and crow's feet around his eyes. When I saw that photo, I got a glimpse of an older Pete. I've seen his sister, now in her 60's, and she is beautiful. How would Pete/Hannibal Heyes appear as an old man? I'll never know, since Pete was gone before his 32nd birthday. But I do wonder what he might have done with more years. The tragedy of a young person's death is the loss of all his promise.

Pete Duel came and went at a time when I was a young girl, still forming, still struggling with losses. The loss of this TV actor that I never knew in my day to day life affected me at a deep level. I remember clearly riding around with my parents and sister, looking at Christmas lights display in the neighborhood, while the radio played "American Pie" and all I could think about was Pete Duel's death. You don't forget these things.

I'm glad we have the opportunity to take the character that Pete Duel developed and play with Hannibal Heyes. Maybe that's one form of honoring his memory. Thanks, Pete, for your work. I only wish you'd enjoyed it as much as the rest of us have.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

PostSubject: Re: Biographical   Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Very thoughtful and so true, RosieAnnie!
I think Pete Duel developed a lot of wrinkles quickly because he really used that mobile, expressive face in his acting and in his life. He didn't just sit around being pretty - he worked it. So I like to think the very lively features that really made him so appealing as a young man would have kept that quality as he aged. I have always noticed how different he looked in different roles, different hair, even different scenes - like he could transform himself at will. It's part of his fascination - I can never pin him down or really decide exactly what is the iconic look of the man. As I write, I try to think which scene would look like what I am thinking of. And since most of the stories I am writing go beyond the age he lived to be that makes it particularly hard, but interesting. The fact that his eyes were unevenly set helped his face to be more interesting and expressive - I notice in the posters for AS&J that is says Heyes has even features - not really! Again - it just makes the face more dynamic and expressive.

I do wish we could have had the chance to know what he would have gone on to do with those features and the interesting mind behind them. I really do like to think that he would have enjoyed playing the parts we write for him - far more so in many cases than the parts he actually got to play. Really, its one of the reasons I play up the emotion and drama - thinking of how he would have dug into it and how great it would have been to watch.

Here's to you, Pete!
HW
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: wandering thoughts   Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:29 am

Hello ladies,
found this category of chat today and read through all of your comments. I know my friends and family understand I have a fascination with ASJ and particularly Hannibal Heyes/Pete Duel but they do not understand beyond that. I do believe my interest has been held because of the deep emotions I felt about his death.

I am a second generation ASJer, when the western channel released the re-runs, I found my first true love Hannibal Heyes. I recall liking other actors/singers before him but never did one steal my heart & soul like him. When I slid in front of the tv for my nightly dose of Heyes & Kid and this blonde hair guy was playing Heyes - I was lost and upset and well pissed off. I had no idea what was going on. "How in the seven gates of hell could a director replace Pete Duel with well....this?" I thought.

Well, since this was before the time of the internet and I was not driving yet I was left to wonder . . . why? what? why? Each night as I checked in and glumly left the tv room when I saw Pete was not playing Heyes. (By the way, my Dad got great glee out of teasing me when the Pete episodes came back on and I saw fit to begin watching ASJ with him again.) But, finally I got a chance to raid my grandfather's tv/movie almanac books. Remember those, they came out by the year. And, it said Pete Duel had died and that Roger Davis replaced him.

I recall my young mind scream "DIED!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!" and then I was distraught. (I tell you these internet kids do not know how easy they have it.) So then, I had to talk my Grandmother into dropping me off at the downtown public library the following Saturday in exchange for yard work and all through the week, I felt lost. Pete Duel is dead my mind kept saying even as I watched the show. It seemed unreal. Here was someone I did not know, who had died when I was 3-years-old and yet I felt a distinct pain and loss.

Finally, at the library I got answers but only after pulling up lots of magazines from the basement archives. I still recall the librarian asking why I wanted all these old magazines and I lied saying it was my birth year and I wanted to look through it. I couldn't figure out a better answer on short notice. She thought I was cute and all but patted me on the head. I took my pile of mags and found a quiet empty spot in the library and began searching the articles. I can still remember being in that corner, the hot sun blazing through the window warming my back and reading about his suicide. I was crushed, devastated . . . I had never really understood the word before. First time I can recall crying so openly in public. Funny that a person you never met could effect you so very much.

How could I ever explain to my friends and family, it was this brush with suicide and death and darkness that locked Pete in my soul forever and made not outlaw/actor/cowboy ever match up to the great late Hannibal Heyes.

I know this is all rather dark...but it does feel good to say it on many levels. I think Pete Duel was a marvelous actor because he had natural charisma. You see it in certain actors/actresses it makes them steal the screen even when they are not trying to, no matter how big or small their roll is...for example Kevin Spacey, Elizabeth Taylor, Colin Farrell, Robert Caryle, Katherine Hepburn, Helen Bonaham Carter, Cary Grant, Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Emma Thompson, Johnny Depp, Val Kilmer, Sally Field, Ron Pearlman, David Ducavny. And, most times these charismatic people are not truly as good looking as you originally think once you stop and look at them. Their faces are put together a bit differently and it makes them even more interesting for being so but above all the have charisma and know how to perform their craft of acting. I think Pete Duel was one of these, the first I truly recognized and since then I have watched for these skilled performers who take their job seriously and always leave you with a performance you remember.

But I tip my hat and still my heart to the first in my life. The greatest most charismatic outlaw I ever got to know -- thank you for portraying him Pete -- Hannibal Heyes is one of the great characters and I am thrilled so many others love him and through your stories you keep him alive and riding down those back trails flashing that dimpled here-I-go- again smile for all of us to enjoy.

Alright -- done being sappy and back to using my keyboard for actual writing.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biographical   

Back to top Go down

Biographical
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1