A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hurricaine Sandy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:41 pm

The pictures on TV look very dramatic and SO glad that everyone seems to have come out of it relatively unscathed. I hope the clear up won't take too long. Oh, and Ghis, thanks for the research under fire - that's above and beyond the call of duty!
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Just a note about how far-reaching Sandy is. A friend and I walked along Lake Michigan earlier today. The waves coming in looked like ocean rollers. As far out as we could see, just whitecapped wave after whitecapped wave barreling in against the sandy shore. The roar of the surf was incredible. We couldn't hear each other talk. The winds were strong and directly out of the north. We saw areas where shore erosion was already happening. Sand was blowing through the air like - well, like a sandstorm! The lakefront bike path is closed in some places here in the city. In northern Indiana, they're expecting 20-25 foot waves tonight. That just doesn't happen on the great lakes. It's "Sandy" for sure!

One group of hardy souls has enjoyed the surf, though. People have been out along the south shore riding their surfboards into the 57th street beach. You don't see much of that on the great lakes, either.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Been watching the news and seeing alot of the footage from New York. What a disaster zone! I hope everyone is doing okay. What a shame about the 'Bounty' going down and at least the one woman loosing her life, maybe there's more lost from that tall ship too, I don't know. Canada is getting hit with it now, but not as bad as the U.S.! Still, I have a friend in Ontario so I may give her a call in a couple of days to see how she is. The rest of you out there on the east coast--stay safe!!! Please let us know as soon as you can. Positive vibes your way!!! scared

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Finally heard from Missyblu (lives in New Jersey near PA) this afternoon and she survived unscathed, too.

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm

HannaHeyes: So how much snow did you get? I haven't seen reports about snow in Kentucky, only other states. I hope it didn't overwhelm services where you are.

RosieAnnie: Amazing about the wind and surf!

Glad to hear Missyblu is all right (thanks, Penski for letting us know). I hope nm131 is, too.

Silverkelpie: It was no trouble at all. Very Happy

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Glad to see that you're okay Ghis! And MissyBlue as well. Most of you seem to be checking un realatively unscathed!! We're going to have to have a special chat session just to hear all about it!

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

The highest total in my area so far is 14 inches. I'm right on the Virginia border. We lost power for a little while after I posted earlier. But all is well :)

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:05 am

Wow, HannaHeyes! I take it you don't normally get that much snow?

I almost feel left out! As John Watson once said, "Nothing ever happens to me..." The New York Times isn't even including Massachusetts in its list of states affected by the storm. (It's not including several others, either, but nevertheless.)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:58 am

Ghis, if we could, I would ever so gladly trade places with you. I'd always rather go about my normal, boring, everyday routine than have to deal with the likes of storms or other events such as this. This kind of excitement I can do without! yes

Hanna, sorry to hear you're on the snow side of this thing. I hadn't really given thought to its going south of WV, but it was so massive, it makes sense. Hope it melts soon with warmer weather so you can get back to your normal.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 am

Ghis - Just ever so often do we get over a foot of snow. Its not all that common, even though I do live in the mountains. This time it was that heavy wet snow so trees were downed. Seems odd to say 'wet' snow since all snow is wet...but you know what I'm talking about sm

Thanks for the nice thoughts Rem :) Its starting to melt some.

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 am

HannaHeyes - I'm glad to hear you're coping under all that snow and thay you're also safe and well. Wet snow is the worst. That's the type we get in Scotland, and it soaks you through, and chills you to the bone really quickly. It also turns to ice easily. Stay inside and keep safe and warm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 pm

I am glad that you are all safe and well. I have been thinking of you all as I have been watching the television with all the damage - the floods, the fires and the snow. I hope all your friends and families are well too.
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I am relieved to hear that our members in the path of the storm came through it so well. It sounds absolutely devastating. Storm, it sounds as if you have more than earned your name. Riders, Ghis, MissyBlu, Remuda-glad you all checked in.

I apologize for not being on the board this week. While driving home last Friday, my husband and I were rear-ended. It was a bit of a shock. We are fine. The car was a goner though. The paperwork to process everything involved took up all of our spare time, and then some. This is nothing compared to what those in the path of the storm went through-just my reason for not being around.

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 am

Glad to hear you're both okay, Beejay.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Glad to hear that everyone is okay! What a storm though! I'll try not to complain too much about our current monsoone weather; at least we can still function.

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 am

So sorry to hear about your accident, BeeJay. Thank goodness you're both okay!

Last edited by InsideOutlaw on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:40 am

Glad to hear you and your husband are okay, BJ. Getting rear-ended is not fun (I speak from experience). I hope that dealing with the insurance company/paperwork is at least going smoothly, although time-consuming.

Back to top Go down
skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:53 am

Beejay - I'm very sorry to hear about your car accident. Even when you come through these things without injury, dealing with the mundane clean up of insurance and car repair can be very tiring. Sometimes you just want to... bottle and forget it all. Good luck and take a little trip to Cambria to relax. bath
Back to top Go down
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:05 am

Good to see everyone back here! It must have been quit a week for all of you. Sorry to read about your car accident Beejay, hope you've recovered from the scare? Be aware of any neck problems, they can still surface a few days later (yep, been there, no fun at all)

Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. This was the second time I was rear-ended, but I was the passenger this time and was half-asleep when it happened. A good thing, being that relaxed, as I have no neck problems. Bob had the neck pain, but from experience we knew what to do. Got right in there with heavy doses of ibuprofen and he seems to be OK. I didn't do that first time I was hit and Niekx, you are right, I really paid for that.

Anyway, this guy in a red pick-up truck hits us. We pull over and he gets out, asking if we are all right(he really was concerned, which was nice), and saying the accident was his fault; he was looking in his rear-view mirror. We all realize we are OK, and calm down a bit from the initial shock. No one was angry; it all seemed so, well, bland and routine, if you can picture that. I mention we need to exchange information, and he says he has no driver's license or insurance. Geepers! The first time I was rear-ended, the guy had no license(well that fella was an illegal alien, so he wouldn't, would he)!
But, the driver, who we called 'the kid' even tho he was 29 -no, he bore no resemblence to that Kid--said he did have an ID. I had to break it to him that we'd have to tell the police. Then he said something like "boy, my friend is going to be unhappy, this is his Dad's truck. Can I borrow your cell phone to call my Mom?"
While he calls his mom, and explains to her that he might get arrested, Bob checks out his truck. C'mon, you've guessed it already, right? The license plate is out of date. The Kid asks Bob if he should remove the vehicle registration from the truck, because it is probably going to be impounded.
At any rate, the sheriff was very pleasant, and when we left he was talking to the kid. Just before we left the kid's friend arrived. He was dropped off by someone, which was a good thing as he appeared to be stoned.

The insurance has been wonderful-USAA, but it has been a process. And, we had to purchase a replacement immediately, so it was a matter of getting all our ducks in a row, as far as insurance payout, loan for a car, looking for a car, etc. An interesting experience, but not something I would like to repeat!

We actually had some time off planned in advance for this weekend, because today was our anniversary, but we certainly didn't get up to Cambria! Hey, we gave ourselves a car instead!

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Didn't see this until just now. BJ, sorry to hear of your accident, and glad you and Bob are okay. I've also been rear-ended, and it's a major pain, no matter how smoothly things go. Hope all continues to go well and no later injuries show up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:57 am

Glad to hear you're okay BeeJay. So sorry to hear about the collision.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Sending good thoughts to you, beejay, and to all who are still dealing with the storm's aftermath. grouphug

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Sounds like lots of folks on the forum have had a bumpy road lately - glad you're all okay!

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear of your accident, BJ, and I'm glad nobody was hurt. I'm also agahst to see that another storm hit. Talk about kicking people when they're down. I'm sending good wishes over the pond to you all. grouphug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   

Back to top Go down

Hurricaine Sandy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next