HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hurricaine Sandy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

To all of you in the path of Sandy: I am thinking of you and praying all goes well. Let the rest of us know how you managed!

Take care,
IO
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks, IO. So far, it's just wind and rain here in MA where I am, but they have gotten stronger as the day's gone on and since yesterday. My lights have flickered on and off a few times and I'm really hoping I don't lose power. But if I do, I'm all set with food, water, blankets/sleeping bag (although the temperature is around 60F so not that bad), and candles/matches and flashlights with batteries. School was cancelled in all of MA and I'm waiting to hear about tomorrow. As long as I don't lose power, it's actually fun! :-)

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Ditto -- Ghis, so far riding it out fine here. Still have power (so still have internet) -- knock on wood, next few hours are the kicker. But we're prepared if the lights go out. Not going anywhere (can't all transportation's shut down, including most bridges) just hunkering down enjoying family time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, IO. As with Ghis and Riders, we're hunkered down here for the storm. It has just made landfall at Cape May and is moving inland, so the wind and rain are picking up. The news reports more are losing power by the minute, but we're hoping for the best and are grateful to have had it stay on. Batteries, flashlights, and other emergency items are at the ready, just in case. Hope everyone in Sandy's path stays safe!
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Sending good thoughts eastward! Stay... safe

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Ghislaine Emrys wrote:
As long as I don't lose power, it's actually fun! :-)

A woman after my own heart! I love rainy stormy days, as long as not flooding or folks are suffering losses.

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Just make sure you hang on tight to something..firm.

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Stay safe everyone. Who names these things? 'Sandy' doesn't sound scary enough. It should be 'Saber' or 'Serhilda.' Something that sounds a bit more threatening.

Batten down the hatches and keep your heads down. prairiedog
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Silverkelpie wrote:
Who names these things?

To answer the question, I went to
http://geology.com/hurricanes/hurricane-names.shtml
and found the following info:

"In the early days of meteorology in the United States storms were named with a latitude / longitude designation representing the location where the storm originated. These names were difficult to remember, difficult to communicate and subject to errors. During the Second World War military meteorologists working in the Pacific began to use women's names for storms. That naming method made communication so easy that in 1953 it was adopted by the National Hurricane Center for use on storms originating in the Atlantic Ocean. Once this practice started, hurricane names quickly became part of common language and public awareness of hurricanes increased dramatically.

In 1978, meteorologists watching storms in the Eastern North Pacific began using men's names for half of the storms. Meteorologists for the Atlantic ocean began using men's names in 1979. For each year, a list of 21 names, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet was developed and arranged in alphabetical order (names beginning with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z were not used). The first tropical storm of the year was given the name beginning with the letter "A", the second with the letter "B" and so on through the alphabet. During even-numbered years, men's names were given to the odd-numbered storms and during odd-numbered years, women's names were given to odd-numbered storms.

Today, the World Meteorological Organization maintains the lists of Atlantic hurricane names. They have six lists which are reused every six years."

Oh, and btw, I haven't lost power (knock wood!) and I don't have school tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Penski wrote:
Ghislaine Emrys wrote:
As long as I don't lose power, it's actually fun! :-)

A woman after my own heart! I love rainy stormy days, as long as not flooding or folks are suffering losses.

Rainy days can be fun, yes. But, alas, this one is not. We're now in the thick of it, and my power just went out; however, I'm very grateful it stayed on this long. As well, not far from here, folks were ordered evacuated because of flooding. Trees have toppled, and debris is flying everywhere. To say the least, I will be happy when it's over. The two days off are nice, but quite frankly, I'd rather be doing my normal, routine stuff.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 pm

OH! Sounds like things are getting hairy over there! Hope everyone rides out this storm okay. We're all thinking about you and sending positive vibes your way. I'm sure most of us will be checking back tomorrow to get the latest reports--I just hope you are able to to let us know! I suppose if we don't hear anything we'll know you don't have power and we'll all just have to wait it out with you! horsie Hang tight and hang on!!

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Remuda, Riders, Ghislaine, Storm, and any one else in the path of Sandy,

Take care, stay inside, and hang in there. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. bottle
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks, everyone. This evening, the wind and rain have been either very heavy or very light, alternating in intensity. Not sure what that means. For me, it's been like other heavy rainstorms, similar to Irene last year but not nearly as bad as the ice storm or Mother's Day flood some years ago. That said, I hope I don't wake up to no power!

Remuda: Sorry to hear about the conditions where you are. Hope you get your power back quickly.

Keays: Did you feel the earthquake on the weekend? I have no idea how close you are to its epicenter. I hope it didn't prevent you from working on TOF!

Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Earthquake? What earthquake? Obviously I didn't feel a thing. I know there was some concern about a tsuinamie (sp? Big wave) coming this way, but nothing happened. One of the good things about living on the coast here is that we have Vancouver Island right out there, taking the brunt of anything along that line coming our way! It's like our own natural defence system! Still, even they didn't get anything.
TOF is coming along nicely. I should be able to post for next weekend--barring bad weather and viruses!

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Just heard the reports on our morning news. It looks like it was (or still is?) a big one. I'll join Keays in saying that I hope you keep us informed on how you are doing over there....off course if you are able to.
Stay safe!
safe

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:50 am

Well we made it through unscathed. Power stayed on throughout the night (perhaps karma since we were without for 7 days in 100 degree weather this summer), tree next to the house stayed up. Now it's just rainy and cold. Rem -- sorry to hear your power went out, if you need hot water/meal give me a call. My niece is probably snowed in in the blizzard up in the mountains in the western parts of VA and MD (she's in college out there) and last I spoke to my son he was fine, sheltering in place in his dorm down on the Chesapeake Bay. I think overall it was milder around here than expected. Hope those of you a little further north are okay -- that took the heavy hit. So ...
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks for posting first thing this morning, Riders! Relieved to hear you came out of it unscathed.

How are the rest of you?

I ususally hear from Missyblu everyday via email, but didn't yesterday. She lives in New Jersey.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 am

New Jersey's a mess. My brother's family and my Mom stayed in Ocean City and they lost power early yesterday afternoon. They're texting but that's all so they can save their cell batteries.
Back to top Go down
stormr

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 am

Still here!! With the wind howling and rain wasn't so sure yesterday. We lost power early in the storm (about 11:30 am yesterday) but were lucky enough to have it restored a couple of hours afterwards. It flickered most of the night and I know most of the surrounding area is out but somehow we kept ours. I think it was the contingency plans and coolers I had ready. We are on the top of the hill and have water proofed the basement so we had no problem with water. Other friends were not so lucky. Slept in the basement as I have NEVER heard the wind howl so hard or so long. The eye basically ran over us and so we were at sustained winds around 70-80 miles an hour. I have large trees in the backyard including one by the master bedroom and one by the family room so although it wasn't great sleep - it was safe. I have some minor branches down this morning but besides that all are standing. I haven't really taken in everything outside but the things I have noticed - most leaves are down (can't beleive any are still on the trees), the cars, ground, porch look like they have been sprayed and covered with leave bits. Really funny looking actually - reminds me of a kids art project - little pieces of leave covering - and I mean covering - all the cars and the ground. Out back - I can no longer see the grass - it is covered in leaves. Why they didn't blow to the next county - I don't know (and I was counting on that one!). It also rolled a big outside heater - the ones they use in outside restaurants. We layed it on the ground and thought we had secured it well enough - not! It rolled ?? about 10 feet from where we left it. So glad we really battened down the hatches before the storm or I think I would have had much more damage. We will venture out later to see how others have faired - I know there are many trees down and I heard a lot of sirens last night.

For the second day, our county is closed. We are expecting mostly light rain and 30 to maybe 40 mph wind gusts through out the day. Finally by tonight they should start to die down. I think I'll be sleeping in my own bed thumbsup

Glad to hear you made it through Riders, hopefull Rem will get her power back soon. I hope everyone else in the path have faired as well.

Back to top Go down
stormr

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 am

InsideOutlaw wrote:
New Jersey's a mess. My brother's family and my Mom stayed in Ocean City and they lost power early yesterday afternoon. They're texting but that's all so they can save their cell batteries.

I am glad your family is okay. I can't believe they rode the storm out - it must have been horrifing for them. I wouldn't expect them to get power back for days, more likely weeks. The entire Jersey shore was absolutely devasastated and mostly cut off from the rest of the state. Early yesterday the bay met the ocean in OC and that means the entire city was under water. There wasn't anyway off the barrier island at that point in time. I hope they stay safe.
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 am

Wow! I came through unscathed--I'm very lucky! Maybe because of all the preparations I did beforehand. Power went out in several areas in several surrounding towns but I never lost it. Lots of trees down, apparently. It's very wet on the ground and it's still windy--though less than yesterday--but the leaves have blown away. The temperature is about 65F and the sun is trying to peek out. As of 7pm last night, four schools in my district had no power so we have off again today; I still can't get on to the school district website so I'm assuming power is still out to wherever the main server is.

Storm: What you went through is amazing--I'm very glad you made it through without major damage! Thanks for letting us know.

I'm real glad everyone else in Sandy's path is all right, too. IO--I'm sending positive thoughts to your family in NJ!

Take care, everyone!

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:37 am

Must have been very scary, wondering and waiting for Sandy to hit. I'm happy to hear everyone came through safely.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 am

Riders, Storm, and Ghis – Glad to hear you made it through all right. Hope Missy and NM did as well. And Riders, thanks for the offer; much appreciated!

As with Storm’s, my power was restored after a while, sometime overnight, so not sure how long it was out. TV was out and connection nonexistent for a while, but all is fine now. The rain/wind have died down considerably, and birds were out earlier chirping and singing, so I’m hopeful the worst is over. All looks okay outside my window, and hopefully all is well beyond that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. This is one for the record books.

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 am

We heard from my brother in Ocean City a short time ago. He lost power, but my mom and his in-laws never did. His house got about 8 inches of water inside it (he is close to the bay), but the others stayed dry. He said it wasn't too bad as these things go.

He also said that the storm is over on the coast, so it should be letting up soon for the rest of you. I'm glad to hear everyone seems to be weathering it well. My brother's lived there most of his life so he's pretty complacent. My attitude is: everything's fine until it isn't!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

Glad to hear everyone is okay! We're getting the snow where we live and lots of it. Power's just flickered so far so hoping it doesn't go out.

PostSubject: Re: Hurricaine Sandy   

Back to top Go down

Hurricaine Sandy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next