HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Slash Stories

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Slash Stories   Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Well, maybe fun. See what you think.

A couple recent postings of slash stories on the fanfiction website, along with the web surfing I did this week recovering from a cold and a nasty backache, got me wondering.

What do you think about slash?

Do you read slash?

Would you write slash?

Have you written it?

Do you think it's okay for the Heyes and Curry characters, given that their creators certainly never even hinted that there was any sort of relationship other than friendship between our heroes, to be used for slash? Or does the question come under "artistic license" - they're 40-year-old characters who are ours to play with as we choose?
----------------
For my part, I've read some slash. Heck, I started reading fanfiction so long ago, it was Kirk/Spock. Later on, there was Han/Luke, Luke/Wedge, Han/Chewbacca and more! There are some fanfiction stories out there featuring slash where the Heyes/Curry relationship is portrayed almost sweetly, and other stories so oriented on the physical act, I think people might be reading in private rooms at adult bookstores! (I blush.) Even at my advanced age, I couldn't get through some of those. I tend to prefer leaving some things to my vivid and active imagination. I don't need or want a blow-by-blow (you'll pardon the expression in this context).

I'm willing to write about things I haven't done, like shooting guns and robbing banks and flying to outer space. But I'm not comfortable trying my hand (oh dead! another double entendre!) at slash. I don't think I can go there.

The only place where I might go with a man on man storyline might involve an oblique reference to someone's interests, but that's probably about it. In my darker imaginings, I've wondered what a starving orphan boy in the mid-19th century might think he has to do to earn money. Runaways today, in 2012, become involved in sex work; I have no doubt that past runaways resorted to prostitution if they were desperate.

So, I'm looking forward to see what you all think. As for me, it's back to the aspirin bottle and the heating pad.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm not interested in writing or reading slash stories myself. The closest I came to any referrence like that was in TOF when Carson accused Heyes of 'missing' his partner. And then it was just meant as a taunt.
We all know that stuff like that goes on in prisons today, but I wonder how much of it did in the 1880's. There really isn't very much documented about that is there.

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:44 am

Oh, RosieAnnie - I laughed at the number of double entendres you managed to squeeze in here (you've set me off too!). I'm not interested in slash, mainly because it doesn't 'float my boat.' Sadly, I've seen and heard too many things, so I'm pretty much unshockable, so that's not the reason. I also see the boys as genuinely heterosexual, so I can't see the characters going there. I would have no problem with having a homosexual character, and did in a couple of the Abi stories, but it would have pop up (there I go again) naturally, just as people of all kinds do in real life. I also have no problem with reading in detail about the sexual act.

There were certainly as many homosexuals then as now, but the repressed nature of the Victorian society drove them into a sub-culture, which is actually very interesting. It was one area in which some women had more leeway, as a lack of understanding about female sexuality made it hard for many to comprehend that lesbianism even existed.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to be most intrigued by the things people try to hide.

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:49 am

Now that I've stopped laughing at all your 'suggestive' comments; I have to say that I don't much care for slash either. I won't read the hard-core stuff as it is usually singularly focused as SK said, but I do, out of curiousity, look at the softer stuff if I feel like it.

I agree with SK as well that there was no suggestion in the series, verbal or non-verbal, that their relationship could be defined that way; but that was the view through my heterosexual eyes. Someone else might have seen something different.

I also feel that if I can fantasize about our favorite cowboys any way I like, others can, too. If I read something slash that is well-plotted and well-written, and I can enjoy the story and ignore the sexual proclivities, I'll give well-deserved kudos to the writer.

Feel better, RosieAnnie!
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am

Hope you're feeling better now, RosieAnnie!

You asked:
I think there's a place for it in fanfiction. People who are invested in characters and want to see them more and have them experience more things find ways to extend their activities. Within the literary genre of fanfiction, there are many sub-genres. Slash is one. A Virtual Season is another.

It's interesting, though, that in this fandom, slash is the word used to describe a sexual relationship between the two male characters. In other fandoms, the word ship is used, as in: They ship each other. I found that out recently as a result of my participation in another fandom. Many people there had no idea what slash was!

Do you read slash?
Yes. If a story is well-written, I'll enjoy it more, though.

Would you write slash?
Yes.

Have you written it?
Yes.

Do you think it's okay for the Heyes and Curry characters, given that their creators certainly never even hinted that there was any sort of relationship other than friendship between our heroes, to be used for slash? Or does the question come under "artistic license" - they're 40-year-old characters who are ours to play with as we choose?
I think it's fine to use Heyes and Curry in slash stories. To me, a major reason for fanfiction is to further the lives of favorite characters and putting them in new/different/unknown situations, such as slash stories, is one way of doing that. Although you say the creators certainly never even hinted that there was any sort of relationship other than friendship between our heroes, I think some fans look at all the touchy-feely aspects and conclude that there could very well have been more than just friendship between Heyes and Curry and that it was only because of the time period in which the show was broadcast that prevented them from being more blatant about it. That's not to say that that is really the way the producers felt, just that some fans have interpreted things that way--because they want to. People can find justification for their opinion in just about anything, if they try hard enough! I would say that "artistic license" does indeed allow fanfic writers to portray the characters however they desire (and, yes, I do think desire has a lot to do with it!); not because they're 40 years old but because it's through fanfiction. Fanfiction gives people the license to take risks and explore and develop their creativity and for some, slash is the means through which they do that.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Hope you're feeling better, RosieAnnie!

Interesting topic. Although this is a pg board, we all know the sky's the limit out there.

As a genre, it's okay; however, as with anything I might read, the plot and writing are what will make or break a story for me.

Do you read slash?
I have. I'm not one usually to suspend belief, but do so a bit when reading this genre. And again, I will enjoy it or not depending on writing and plot. I have "go-to" authors in this genre, and they never disappoint. As well, there are others I don't enjoy and won't even bother to start.

Would you write slash?
Probably not. Although I enjoy reading certain authors, I've not really been tempted to try it.

Have you written it?
No. See above.

Creative license is fine. The characters are out there, and everyone is free to see them as they will.
Back to top Go down
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 am

Hi RosieAnnie, since you did some writing today, I am "inferring" that you are feeling better Very Happy

I am not really against it and agree with previous comments where it was said that it is certainly everyones right to take a fanfiction story in the direction of your own interests. However, I kind of dislike the word itself. It implies something dirty or sleazy and that is not how I look upon homosexual relationships at all. So for me, a new name is in order!

Do you read slash?
I have read some, but they are not amongst my favorites. I like it when a deepened relationship is described in such a story, but I am not a big fan of the in-depth description of the physical act as such. I must confess, that I do not mind as much when it concerns a heterosexual couple... Embarassed

Would you write slash?
I don't think I could and do not intend to try at the moment.

Have you written it?
No, see above

Practically everything has been done in fanfiction regardless of how the original characters were created or meant to be. So I suppose slash deserves a place as well. I think "artistic license" sums it up.

Beterschap, RosieAnnie!

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:45 pm

The first time I opened a story containing the cautionary label, "Slash," I did not know what it meant. Figured it was the fanfic term for violent or bloody, like a "Slasher" film.

I read.

coffee Shocked

Needless to say, Sister Grace became a more enlightened individual that day. :rainbow:

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm

OH Grace! This made me laugh. So you have a violent side, eh?

I have to say I had a similar experience when I settled down to watch 'Prick Up Yours Ears.' You can imagine my surprise when it didn't turn out to be the gentle wildlife documentary I was expecting... Shocked
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Oh Sister Grace, yes I bet that was a surprise! But did you read it all the way through? Or quickly close out of that website?

Silverkelpie, the title you mention might mean "listen carefully", but, as the great George Takei likes to say, "Oh My!!"

It's hard to avoid double entendres when talking about this subject. I spent a few minutes explaining to a class of adults why it's not a good thing when someone "moons you". Most of them do not speak English as a first language, so some idioms still confuse them. But I couldn't explain why it was a good thing if someone was "over the moon" about a person or thing. Then someone started humming "Moon River. . . ". It got a little silly.

I looked again at "Sweet Nothings" http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8568981/1/Sweet-Nothings for those who haven't seen it. Although it's officially slash, the romantic/sexual relationship seems to be secondary to other themes. I think this story is beautifully written. The fact that our heroes end up in bed together, and the "f" word is mentioned, makes it slash. Their relationship is an undercurrent through most of the story. I suppose if I were to search out slash stories, this is the type I'd look for. I'm not interested in graphic descriptions of the sex act. I want a good story well-told, and this qualifies for me.

It's all a matter of taste, isn't it? I like a little hot pepper in my food, but I'm won't bite into a plain jalapeno pepper! Oopps. . . . is that another double entendre? Dang!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm

I have chuckled at this thread. I think the Kelpie is toying with us, though... You would definitely know about this movie, but I hadn't thought of the wildlife connection. Laughing

So, Slash - I have no objection to it, but like many others I wouldn't seek it out because I don't think I'd be the target demographic. By that I mean it's often designed to cater for different proclivities to mine. (I was going to say it's not aimed at me - you have to be SO careful here.)

Where the content is a story, with homosexual overtones, yes, I would enjoy it for it's content as good fiction, but frankly sex is really difficult to write well (I nearly said 'hard'), so it has to be very well done for me to enjoy it, reardless of the orientation.

I like to live and let live, they can do whatever they like. We all write for harmless fun - as the late, great Mrs. Patrick Campbell said, "As long as they don't do it the street and fighten the horses."

Now that WOULD prick up your ears... horsie
Back to top Go down
EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

It's not particularly my cup of tea, but if others enjoy it that's their privilige. As a fiction genre, it's as valid as any other I think. Judging by the amount of slash fiction there is online, reading - and writing - it would seem to be many people's 'guilty pleasure', and for professional authors who publish such fiction, I imagine they live or die by their sales. If nobody had an interest in reading it, they wouldn't be publishing for very long.

Do you read slash?

I've read a couple, but I don't see the boys' relationship in that way so they don't do anything for me. I'd sooner have an implied brotherly love between them than a sexual relationship.

Would you write slash?/Have you written it?

I did write one, under an alias name Rolling Eyes mainly as a writing exercise, to see if I could physically write in that genre. I didn't find it particularly satisfying and have no desire to repeat the exercise.

Back when ASJ was made, such relationships were taboo and the characters would never have been portrayed in such a manner. Today, things are much more liberal with tv shows being made with openly gay characters in them, and gay presenters on chat shows and so forth, so if it was being made today I don't think it would cause too much controversy for the characters to have a same sex relationship. I imagine, back in West of the 1800's, it was far more common that has ever been documented. But would we have felt the way we do about the boys had they been depicted in that manner? I'm not sure I would. Although the characters plainly cared about each other, we were all able to fantasize about being one of the ladies they wooed. It might have changed our perspective if they had been portrayed as anything less than heterosexual.

http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:26 pm

I wasn't going to comment but...

First time I read something, quite by accident since I was naive to that word, I was totally grossed out and thought "NO WAY!!!" It stayed with me and made me google to see how common was homosexuality in the old West. With the lack of women, it was very common, especially on cattle drives. Well, so it could be keeping with the timeframe. Made it more or less okay for me.

Do you read slash?
Yep, I sure do. More ASJ stories are a good thing, I figure. BUT I don't care for PWP "Plot? What Plot?" stories. There has to be more than just a sex scene.

Would you write slash? Have you written it?
I hope I don't regret this... Yep, I've written a few. And I've written a few hetero stories. Interestingly, the slash stories are read far more often and I get many more "kudos" from them than the hetero stories. Started when I read one and thought, "That's wrong - I can't see Heyes doing that!" So I wrote my own "version" of the story. I do have a plot, well, most of the time. And no, I'm not gonna say where those stories are or "who" wrote them. Some of you probably already know.

Heck, if Capt. Kirk & Spock can and Starskey & Hutch do, why not Heyes and Curry? They have a difficult time trusting anyone else but each other and letting their guard down when the other isn't around. Sounds like a likely solution to me.

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Slash??????????????   Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 am

Let me say my sister Jessie got me into fanfic and she did not tell me what all the topic headers meant. So when I ran into a slash story my first one was an X-Files...my eyes and mind were like what? what? what? as I back pedaled out of the link.

Okay, no let me say I am not a prude. I like sex stories. Have read them...came close to writing one last week it appears. And, I do not even mind the notion of slash stories. But here is the rub. If I see a character, don't matter who they are as hetro sexual and then I am supposed to believe them in a slash. Well, I just simply can't

A couple recent postings of slash stories on the fanfiction website, along with the web surfing I did this week recovering from a cold and a nasty backache, got me wondering.

So for me.. no I do not read ASJ slash. For one thing, I am in the cousin field and I don't want to think of cousins having sex. Even though it is legal in many of our states. I on the other hand can definitely see where ASJ slash would come from. There are even times I am reading and they are so very worried about the other one or when Heyes is trying to drown Harry in lake that I can see...okay I get the whole lot closer point of view.

Just not for me... because in my book they are cousins, best friends, partners and simply do not see each other that way. Hmm yeah, I would have to be introduced to a character as a more open minded/sexual creature before I could see them as a slash character.

radiogaga80

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 am

This clip from Supernatural pretty much describes how I feel about slash...

http://youtu.be/Ke6ekjknw64

Contrary to Dean, I have nothing against slash but it's not for me because often it's not how I perceive characters. I say often because with some fandoms I more open for slash stories than other fandoms. In the case of ASJ, to me Heyes and Curry are best friends and I can't see them as lovers. I once did read ASJ slash unintentionally, when someone asked me to read a fic of hers. She knew I didn't like slash but suddenly I found myself in a steamy love scene between our Kansas cousins. Shocked Who were both blondes because she was a Roger fan. brb
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: cool clip   Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am

Okay RadioGaGa....loved the clip. The look the guy reading the computer gives the other one...pretty much summed up more first reaction. Thanks for sharing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slash Stories   

Back to top Go down

Slash Stories
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1