Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

April 23 - this just doesn't add up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

April 23 - this just doesn't add up Empty
PostSubject: April 23 - this just doesn't add up   April 23 - this just doesn't add up Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 am

Hello folks

I am actually here on the right day for once in a blue moon
Well, it is financial year end with all its joys -

So,  I think the challenge for this coming month will be

"This just doesn't add up!!!'

Enjoy
Tip Tap Tippety Tap
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: April 23 - this just doesn't add up   April 23 - this just doesn't add up Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 2:05 pm

I think this is likely the start of a longer story. My take on S3.

To: Joshua Smith. Flatlake, CO

Good news for Smith, not Jones. Meet in usual place for reasons.

“No, I ain't goin' nowhere near that place, Heyes. Tell him we had an argument and you don't know where I am.” Kid's arms were folded defensively across his chest and he was glaring down at the telegram as if it were going to bite him.

Heyes sighed and blew out a heavy breath, wanting to try and convince his friend to at least visit with Lom, because something just didn't add up, he needed to know what was going on, and would prefer that they found out together, so they could plan accordingly.

But judging by the set of Kid's jaw, he realised that his chances of success were small. But he tried anyway. “He won't believe me, Kid, and it don't sound like he's planning on arresting you.”

They were in the cheaper of the two hotels in the fast growing town of Flatlake, perched on the large bed. Kid stared down at the stark words once more, swore under his breath, before picking the paper up, scrumpling it into a ball and lobbing it into the small trash can by the door. After a moment of silence, he sighed and turning back to Heyes, his face grim,  said angrily. “Well he's hardly gonna to say it in a telegram is he? Besides it don't matter if he believes you or not. If I'm in Mexico, there ain't no way he can prove otherwise.”

“Kid, we at least oughta go and see what he has to say.” Heyes paused and swallowed before adding softly. “Or maybe, I'll just send a telegram saying thanks, but no thanks, and come with you.”

Kid stared at him for a minute then at the trash can before his gaze rested back on his face. “All right, Heyes, you win, we'll go find out what Good Ole Lom has to say for himself.  But you're goin' in first and I'm followin', expecting trouble.”

Heyes let out a breath he'd been holding. “Wouldn't expect nothing less. Kid.” He then pulled his own gaze away from his partner's grim face, as he hoped Lom would bring them news they could work with, because he knew without a shadow of a doubt if Kid's chance of amnesty was gone, then his would be too. There was simply no way he could take his freedom on those terms. He still knew how to open just about any safe, and he had a plan for one last big score. Governor Hale and his fancy ass friends would soon regret their stupidity in only awarding amnesty to one half of the best outlaws the west had ever seen.

Kid laid a hand on his arm and said firmly. “ I don't like that look, Heyes. I'm meant to be the rash one.. don't be stepping on my toes none.”

Heyes turned to his partner and didn't even try to hide his wicked grin as he stood. “Well, ya know Kid....sometimes even good things need a bit of shaking up.”

“Heyes....” Kid's tone held a note of concern that Heyes understood, because though their partnership tradition liked to cast Kid as the stubborn impulsive one,  it wasn't the whole truth and both of them knew it. “You gonna clue me in Heyes?”  Heyes winked again and strode to the door laughing a little at Kid's frustrated. “Guess that's a no....”

Heyes paused with his hand on the door and looked back to meet his partner's eyes, as he said  dryly, “Well it's just a back up plan Kid, mebbe we won't even be needing it. But if we do you'll be the first to know.”

“That don't exactly reassure me any, Heyes...” Though his tone belied the words, and a hint of amusement was creeping out from under the concern in his expression. Heyes grinned when Kid joined him, and as they left the room together grumbled good naturedly. “One day I'm just gonna up and die on ya, because my heart can't cope with the strain of bein' your partner.”

Heyes snorted and shook his head as he said firmly. “Your heart's gonna give up on ya? You ain't the one who has watch his partner draw on folk  at least three times a week.”

“Heyes....” There was a hint of real annoyance in Kid's reply, but then with a small laugh he added. “Well if a lotta people weren't so bad at poker, and others weren't dumber than your average mule, mebbe I wouldn't need to...”

Heyes chuckled as he replied. “Well you got a point there, Kid, I gotta give you that.”

With his mood surprisingly light for the news they'd just received, as they rode to meet Trevors, Heyes glanced over at his partner, riding a little ahead. Even in profile he looked pensive, but despite the edge of tension emanating from him , Heyes didn't think he was about to change his mind about their trip. A feeling confirmed when Kid looked over and with a small smile, slowed his mount to allow Heyes to catch up with him.

X

They waited until dusk had fallen before approaching the cabin, and Kid swore when he saw two horses tied up. “ I told you Heyes, somethin' ain't right. You go on, and I'll ride aways down there and wait for you.” Heyes squinting in the settling dark saw Kid wave down the hill and start to head in the direction he was pointing.

“Lom wouldn't do that to us, Kid!”

Heyes tried to sound confident, but the two mounts were bothering him too and he wasn't sure of what he was saying and he knew his partner had picked up on it when he snorted and said drily. “You ain't got that short a memory Heyes, you know as well as me, Lom don't always trust us, and he had us locked up in Porterville.” He paused and then added a little less harshly. “And we don't know what pressure that walk-off Governor is puttin' on him.”

“All right, Kid, but promise me you won't go anywhere without us talking about it.” Heyes gripped his friend's forearm with a squeeze, feeling the tension that matched his own and tried not to hold his breath as he waited for his partner to answer.

Kid sighed and snorted, but Heyes with a huge sense of relief felt the muscles under his hand relax slightly and he felt rather than saw Kid give a sharp nod. “See ya soon, Heyes. I'll be camped near that big rock we passed 'bout a mile back.”

But before the Kid could start off, the door to the cabin opened, and Lom a lantern in his hand appeared and he said loudly. “Its safe boys, no law here but me. You got my word on that.”

Heyes sighed and shouted back. “We ain't sure about this Lom, maybe you just oughta let Kid go and you can talk to me on my own.”

“Boys don't be foolish I might not always trust ya, but I haven't ever lied to you. Coffee's on the stove and I even brought something good for us to eat.”

Heyes felt Kid shrug and nod and together they headed towards the cabin door and Lom stood aside to let them in as Heyes said. “So if it ain't no other law who does the horse belong to?”

Lom sighed as he said. “ We oughta get comfortable first as I ain't sure you're gonna like this, but hear me out all right?”

Heyes exchanged a look with his partner who's hand was hovering round his gun, his face grim. “Whatcha thinking Kid?”

“I'm thinkin' I'm hungry and tired, Heyes, and that Lom better start tellin' us what's goin' on.”

Heyes turned back to Lom with a grim smile. “You heard him, Sheriff...”

Lom flinched slightly at the formal address and waved them to sit in the surprisingly well lit and almost comfortable cabin, just as the door to opened behind them. Kid's gun was drawn and pointing at the door and Heyes wasn't far behind. The man who entered was a similar build to Heyes, though slightly taller and his hair was a shade or two lighter. He looked between the drawn guns and then over to Lom, a worried expression to his face as he said. “Guess you ain't told them yet?”

“I was just about to. Now Kid, Heyes. This is Joshua Harper.”

Heyes swallowed hard as he glanced over at Kid who was glowering as he said angrily. “Harper? Don't he run with the James Gang? What's he doin' here?”

Heyes swallowed hard, as the tension in the small cabin went up another notch to nearly unbearable. While he knew little of the gang, he knew that Kid had run across them in the time they'd been separated, more than once, and it hadn't ended well. In fact if he remembered  what Kid had told him right, it'd ended with Kid in jail for three weeks with a bullet in his shoulder.

Harper smiled a little nervously, his own hand hovering over his gun as he said calmly enough that Heyes was pretty impressed. “They told me 'bout your troubles with 'em, but I weren't with them then and I ain't with them now. I'm in the same boat as you fellas, wanting my slate wiped clean. I ain't never killed no one and I don't intend to.” He moved his hand away from his weapon and let his arms settle by his sides his head cocked to one side.

Kid exchanged a glance with Heyes and when his partner nodded and holstered his gun, a beat later he did the same before turning to Lom as Heyes said. “Guessing this is the reason you were talking about, Lom.”

They were soon sat round the long table that was new since their last visit here and Lom with his gaze taking them all in, reached into his pocket and handed Heyes a stuffed envelope. “First things first, here ya go, Heyes, you're a free man as of midnight tonight.” He let out a deep breath and said added. “Then that's where it gets kinda complicated.” He nodded over at Harper and waved at him. “Now, Joshua over there has gone and got himself married to the Governor's niece, and him and his sister ain't exactly pleased.”

Heyes interrupted as he heard Kid give a low growl. “What's that got to do with me getting amnesty and Kid not?”

“Gimme a chance to explain.” He turned to Kid his face darkening as he said. “Matherville and West Bend that's what its got to do with.”

Heyes glanced over at Kid and saw him pale as he said softly. “Oh.”

“Now we can explain 'bout that Lom.”

“I'm sure you can, Heyes, but the Governor ain't listening.”

“You ain't telling it right Trevors, you're worrying 'em!” Harper interrupted quickly with a glare at the older man. “Mary's Uncle ain't convinced that I'm serious about her and he wanted to make me wait a year, but well she's expecting.” He smiled reflectively then talked quickly. “I think he was planning on me dying before the six months is up, but Mary, she insisted that he promise to give me a fighting chance as she don't want to raise our baby alone.” He smiled apologetically over at Kid. “So Hale figured pairing me up with the fastest gun in the West was his best solution.”

Lom talked over Harper, “It ain't that simple, word of that man Bilson dying and Briggs getting shot by some baby faced drifter called Thaddeus Jones, got back to the Governor and he's wondering whether Kid Curry is as reformed as I'm telling him. He gets to wondering if only thing between Kid Curry and a noose is Hannibal Heyes. So he figures six months apart is a good way of finding out."

Heyes snorted. “He's an idiot Lom and if you figure he's right you're an idiot too. Bilson did his best to kill us by stranding us in a desert, then tried to finish the job in a dusty street, and the less said about Briggs...”

“Heyes...” Kid's voice was strangled. “Let 'im finish.” Heyes glanced over at his partner who looked miserable with hunched shoulders and he sighed before glaring back over at Lom.

Joshua snorted. “You sure know how to drag things out, Sheriff. Long and short of it is, we got six months to keep our noses clean and if we manage we're free and clear. “ He looked smug and drew out a bundle of papers. “Even got it in writing right here and a copy is filed with a fancy lawyer out in Cheyenne and Mary is holding the third. There ain't no way he's gonna wriggle out of his promise.”

Kid snorted and looked over at Heyes his expression amused. “Now why didn't we think of that?”

Joshua laughed. “Probably same reason you introduced yourself at every job you pulled and didn't bother wearing a mask....” Heyes bristled and Kid laughed, earning himself a kick in the shin from his partner, replaced by a look of gratitude when he sobered and said. “Least we didn't shoot no one when we was robbin' them.”

Heyes nodded. “And we didn't never steal from the passengers. So don't be so smug Mr Harper. You ain't exactly done much to cover yourself in glory.”

The smile fell away from Joshua's face and he looked away. Lom cleared his throat trying to break the sudden tension with little success as he said. “Now boys, seems like you got some working out to do, but I'm figuring this oughta work.”

Heyes glanced over at Kid who nodded as Heyes said. “It's kinda a lot to take in, so me and Kid wanna talk about it before we agree to anything.” He glanced down at the papers he still held in his hand as he said. “There any other conditions I oughta be concerned over?”

Lom shook his head and Kid and Heyes stood to go to the barn where they could talk things over properly both carrying a lantern.

X

Once they were alone, with the lanterns hooked on the rafters, Kid's shoulders slumped, and he couldn't quite meet Heyes' eyes. But Heyes walked over to him and gripped his shoulder. “You killing Bilson ain't never gonna be something we gotta regret and I've said all I gotta say 'bout Briggs. This ain't really about that, its about Joshua in there and Hale is just using you to make a point.”

Kid met Heyes' gaze briefly before looking down at his gun. “It ain't that simple Heyes and you know it. I always said you'd be more likely to get amnesty...and here we are, just proving my point.”

Heyes swallowed before saying. “It's up to you, Kid, because I ain't sure I'd last six months  with him. We can ride outta here...”

Kid shook his head. “No Heyes, I gotta try, I have to know...”

Heyes didn't insult either of them by asking what he had to know and only said. “If you're sure.”

Kid snorted and shrugged. “I ain't sure of nothin' Heyes, but least its in writing this time.”

Penski and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: April 23 - this just doesn't add up   April 23 - this just doesn't add up Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 11:03 pm

April 2023 Challenge –
This just doesn't add up!

Another story with Heyes and Curry giving up on amnesty and disappearing in Jackson, CA with new alias names. Heyes is now Sam Anderson, an accountant for a few mines and co-owner of the Jackson livery with his partner Kid Curry, who is now Joe Barton and runs the livery.

Joe Barton, aka Kid Curry, walked into the cabin he shared with his lifelong friend and partner, Sam Anderson. “Howdy, Sam! Brought us home a pie from the diner. Thelma was just takin’ it from the oven this afternoon and you know how the smell comes into the stable. I couldn’t resist.” He removed his hat and hung it on a peg near the door. Next, he removed a small pistol from his pocket and placed it on a tall console table, also near the door.

“Hi,” Sam mumbled as he sat at the table with books open in front of him jotting down numbers and adding the columns.

“Still at work? Thought you’d be done by now.” Joe pumped some water into a basin in the kitchen and washed his hands. “What’s for dinner?”

“Huh?” Sam continued to work, not listening to Joe.

“Sam!”

The man at the table jumped slightly. “What?! Don’t do that!”

“You weren’t listenin’ to me, were you.” It was a statement and not a question.

“I’m trying to figure out something… Do you have today’s numbers for the livery?”

“Right here.” Joe reached into a pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and money that he handed to Anderson. “Oh, and I’m gonna have to buy some oats. We’re gettin’ low.”

Sam counted the money. “$425 for the day… That’s two horses with gear, a buggy rental, and boarding four horses.” He put the descriptions and amounts in his book. “Don’t you charge $1.50 for boarding for one night?”

“Yep, and $10 if it’s a week.”

“Oats?” Sam checked the books. “You just bought about a month’s supply a little over two weeks ago. I don’t see enough horses to eat that much more. Well, something just isn’t adding up.”

Joe looked over Sam’s shoulder at the book. “What’s not addin’ up?”

“You running out of oats so quickly. Did you get the same amount you always do? You weren’t shorted?”

Barton furrowed his brow. “No, same amount as usual.”

“What’s different in the last few weeks?”

“Johnny,” Joe stated.

“Johnny? Our neighbor’s son Johnny?”

“Yep. Remember, we talked about hirin’ him after school for a few hours for extra money and so I could get home for dinner.”

“What are you paying him?”

“What we agreed with his pa to pay – 90 cents an hour.” Joe went back to into the kitchen area. “Don’t appear that you have anything started for dinner. I’m gonna fry up some eggs and make sandwiches with this mornin’s biscuits.”

“That sounds good to me.” Sam continued putting numbers in the book and adding up the figures. “Yep, we’re definitely going through too much oats.”

Barton threw some kindling into the stove and lit it. “By a lot?”

“Yeah, if you figure out the number of horses and giving each two bags a day.”

“So, you think someone's takin’ the oats?” Barton cracked several eggs into a hot skillet.

“Looks like it, BUT you have to make sure before we go accusing someone of stealing. Have to stay friendly with the neighbors and Frank may not take it too kindly if we accuse his Johnny of stealing. And if it’s Hank…”

Joe shook his head. “Can’t be Hank. He’s so appreciative of havin’ his own room and a little pay for stayin’ overnight at the livery and takin’ in or saddlin’ up horses. He wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize that. He hated sleepin’ four miners in a room.”

“Sure Hank is telling you what’s going on at night?”

“Sam, I can see the new horses or which ones are missin’ in the mornin’. He always gives me the cash he got during the night and tells me how many left or came in before he heads to the mines. I trust Hank.”

“Well, watch them both to make sure.”

“Okay. I’ll keep an eye on him tomorrow afternoon. Now put those books and money away. It’s time for dinner.”

Sam closed the books and put them and the money away in a safe. “What kind of pie did you bring home?”

“So, you were listenin’.” Joe grinned as he put the biscuits and eggs on the table. “Strawberry with rhubarb.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Johnny entered the livery the next afternoon. “Hi’ya, Mr. Barton.”

“Hi, Johnny. I’m brushin’ down a horse that was just brought in. Can you clean out the middle stall?”

“Sure.” The young teen grabbed a shovel and a wheelbarrow before heading to the stalls. “Looks like the first one needs cleanin’. Want me to do that one, too?

“That’d be great. Thanks.”

A man leading a horse entered the livery. “Hello?”

“I’ll be right with you,” Joe called out as he led the horse near the stalls and tied him outside of them. “I’ll get you a bag of oats in a minute,” he told the animal and patted its neck. He walked over to the gentleman, wiping his hands on his jeans. “How can I help you?”

“I’m in town for a few days and need to board my horse. How much?”

“It’s $1.50 a night and $10 for the week.”

“That’s expensive. I pay $7.50 a week in Stockton.”

“Well, Jackson’s a minin’ town so you’ll find all the prices more expensive than you might find down in the valley. For your $1.50, the horses get brushed daily, fed oats and hay, time out in the corral, and, if you’re wantin’, rode for fifteen minutes to get exercise. We also have them saddled up anytime you want them.”

“Well, I guess it is a mining town and I do get extras for that. Okay. How much do I owe now?”

“How long are you plannin’ to stay?”

The man thought a moment. “I can probably only afford to stay about three days.”

“That’ll be $4.50; you owe it all now and can get a refund if you stay less.”

The man grumbled as he pulled out the money owed.

“I might suggest Anne Wilson’s boardin’ house off of 1st Street. It’s cheaper than the National Hotel and you get your meals included,” Joe commented as he pocketed the money.

“Thanks for the suggestion. First Street?”

Barton pointed down Main Street. “Yep, you can’t miss it. Take a right over there and it’ll be the yellow house with the white picket fence. It’s an easy walk from here.”

The man removed his saddlebags and rifle while Joe took the reins.

“What’s her name?”

“You said Anne…”

“The mare’s name.”

“Oh, I was concentrating so I didn’t forget the boarding house owner’s name. The mare is Bella.”

“Nice name. Come on with me, Bella, and I’ll show you your stall.” Barton led the mare out of the sun and into the coolness of the livery. “Johnny, where’d you go?”

Johnny ran in from the corral area. “Right here, sir.”

“Are the two stalls clean?”

“Yep. I was just checkin’ that the horses in the corral had water.”

“Good job.” Joe tied Bella near a stall and unsaddled her. “Can’t wait for you to get stronger so you can help with this. Go get me the brush.”

“Okay.” Johnny brought over the horse grooming brush.

“And then get a bag of oats for her.”

Johnny smiled. “Yes, sir!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Late in the afternoon, after Joe sent Johnny home, Hank came into the livery. “Howdy, Joe.”

“Hi’ya Hank.” Barton checked the livery over. All the horses were in clean stalls, had water, and fed for the night. “Everything is ready for you tonight. We got a new mare named Bella in.”

“Good.” Hank got a bar of soap and towel before he went to the water pump. “Be back in a few minutes.”

“Take your time. I remember how nice it felt to be clean after minin’ all day and I didn’t mine like you are.”

Later, Hank came back into the livery and locked the back door behind him. “You about ready to go, Joe?”

“Yeah, but I have a question for you. Do you feed the horses oats when I leave?”

“Nope. You said you’ll have them fed already. I just give oats to horses that come in after you leave. Why?”

“It just seems like we’re goin’ through more oats than normal this month.”

“I noticed we are gettin’ low already.”

“Hmm… I’ll order some more tomorrow.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Joe unlocked the large door of the livery. “Mornin’, Hank!”

“Mornin’, Joe.” He reached into his pocket. “Quiet night. Just got one geldin’ in and put him in stall four. His name's Fool’s Gold. What a name for a horse.”

Barton shook his head. “That is quite the name.”

“Gave him a good rubdown and a bag of oats. Well, I better run to the mine.”

“Have a good day, Hank.”

“Oh, I noticed a few bags for the oats are missin’. Did you do something different with them?”

“Nope. Thanks for lettin’ me know. I’ll check into it.”

Joe Barton looked after the horses in the livery and took a few outside into the corral before feeding others. Next he went into the oats room and scowled. There were a few bags missing from the pegs on the wall. He filled up the remaining ones and fed the horses.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hi’ya Mr. Barton.”

“Hi, Johnny. School’s out already?”

“Yep. It’s already 3pm, accordin’ to the clock on Main Street so I’m right on time.”

“Good. Well, you can start cleanin’ out stalls and fillin’ oat bags, puttin’ one in each stall. Oh, and fill each bucket with water. I have a horse to saddle and time to rub down the others.”

“Yes, sir.”

Joe discreetly kept one eye on Johnny as he worked on the horses. When the teen was filling oat bags, he took longer than he should have, so Barton went into the oats room but found it empty. He glanced out the back door and frowned when he saw Johnny giving a bag of oats to a man and receiving coins for it. “So, that’s where my grain is goin’.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sam was stirring stew when Joe walked into the house. “How was your day.”

“I’ve had better.” Joe hung up his hat and sat to remove his boots.

“What happened?” Sam walked over to his partner with an already poured glass of whiskey.

“It’s Johnny.”

“You sure?”

Joe nodded, then took a sip. He sniffed the air. “That smells good.”

“I’ll put some stew in bowls for us while you tell me what happened.”

Joe washed his hands and sat down, taking another drink. “Hank noticed some oat bags were missin’. I checked and couldn’t find them. This afternoon, while I was workin’ on the horses, I had Johnny fillin’ the oat bags for each stall. He seemed to take longer than he should have so I checked on him. He was out back sellin’ a bag to a miner with a horse.”

“He sold a bag of oats and pocketed the money?”

“Yep.” Joe finished his drink as Sam brought the bowls of stew over and sat down. “What’re we gonna do?”

“I think I’ll come over tomorrow and we’ll have a little chat with Johnny about stealing.”

“We’re not gonna tell his pa, are we?”

“That depends on Johnny.” Sam took a bite and grabbed for the salt. “Needs a little salt. What time does Johnny get there?”

“After school at 3pm.”

“Okay, I’ll be there.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hi’ya Mr. Barton.”

“Hi, Johnny.”

“Whatcha want me to do today? Clean out the stalls and fill them with water and oats as usual?”

“Yeah, but before you start, Mr. Anderson and I need to talk to you.”

“Oh, did I do something wrong?” he asked.

“You know you did something wrong,” Sam came out of the tack room. “Let’s sit down and discuss the oats going faster than they should be.”

The three sat down on stools inside the livery. Johnny’s head was downcast, and his hands folded.

“How much money have you made selling oats?” Sam asked.

The boy thought a few moments. “I’m not sure. I’ve been hidin’ the extra money so Pa don’t see it.”

“How much money do you guess you’ve made?” Sam rephrased the question.

“Well, I sell two to three a day for fifty cents each.”

Sam and Joe looked at each other.

“How long have you been doin’ it?” Joe asked.

“Maybe for ten or twelve days. Someone came by and asked for some. I got him a bag and he gave me fifty cents. I couldn’t find you, Mr. Barton, so put the money in my pocket. I found it there that night and I…”

“Figured you could make some extra cash,” Sam finished the confession. “Johnny, you do know what you’re doing is stealing, right?”

“I guess.”

“And stealing is against the law.”

“Johnny, me and Mr. Anderson know a little something about stealin’. When we were about your age, we ran away from a home and had to steal to eat, if we couldn’t find a job in a town. It led to us bein’ in jail.”

Sam, seeing where Joe was going with this, continued, “Jail is definitely not a place you want to be. Outlaws can be scary, drunks can be loud or smelly, the law doesn't treat you well, and the food is usually horrible.”

Johnny looked up, fear in his eyes. “Are you gonna have me arrested?”

The partners glanced at each other.

“No, if you stop stealin’ the oats.” Joe gave the teen a reassuring smile.

“Are you gonna tell my pa? He’ll whip me for sure.”

“Tell you what… You bring back all the money you took from the sale of oats, and we’ll forgive you and not tell your pa,” Sam said.

“Really? I’d appreciate it.”

“Speakin’ of appreciatin’, I’d appreciate gettin’ my oat bags back,” Joe commented.

“Oh, the miners bring them back to be refilled.” Johnny smiled tentatively. “Do you mind if I continue to sell them oats for their animals as long as I let you know when I do it and give you the money, Mr. Barton?”

Joe shrugged. “I don’t see anything wrong with that, do you, Sam?”

“I think that’s a great idea, Johnny.” Sam smiled. “It’ll increase our income.”

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: April 23 - this just doesn't add up   April 23 - this just doesn't add up Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 6:11 pm

This just doesn’t add up

In the overcast late afternoon of a blustery mid-March day two tired, disheveled, and cold ex-outlaws rode slowly down C Street in Virginia City, Nevada. Competing odors emanating from gray clouds of wood smoke, black coal smoke and smelting ore blowing down the narrow street contributed to the gloom. A brown hat swiveled left then right while blue eyes panned the surroundings as a lightly whiskered chin lifted clear of the buttoned-up sheepskin’s warm collar.

“There’s the Delta and Silver Queen on the right or the Union, the Red Dog, and Bucket of Blood on the left. Which one? Do you care?” Kid Curry reined up to let a group of work-worn miners cross the slushy and rutted mud street.

The black-hatted riding companion brought his hands up close to his face and blew on his freezing, grimy fingers, hoping to transfer some warmth through the thin black leather riding gloves. The dangling reins whipped around in the stiff, damp, cold wind while Heyes did a slow pan of the street. “Not really, although last time we rode through these parts, we both did pretty well at the Delta. The weather was a lot warmer, too.” Hannibal Heyes grinned at the memory of his triumph at the poker tables.

“You did better than pretty well. I’m not sure we’d be welcome back if they remember Joshua Smith.” How about the Silver Queen? There’s a proper hotel upstairs, not just the pay for a girl rooms the others have and it’s closest to the livery.”

“Fine by me, Kid. You can always go across the street to the Union for a while if you feel the need for female companionship later if you want. But quit worrying, we lost that posse. They rode towards Reno instead of continuing south. Our false trail worked. They thought we were headed towards the Mt. Rose or Donner passes. Most of the southern trails across the Sierra’s aren’t usually passable this time of year. We’ll head down to Carson City and try the Spooner Summit or maybe sell the horses and take the Virginia-Truckee Railroad.”

“If you say so, but I’m not so sure. They’re awfully persistent to follow us all the way from Elko. Remember, we thought we lost them around Winnemucca.” Curry remarked as he habitually scanned the faces of the many C street patrons.

Heyes glanced to his side, letting a grin show even though he knew it would annoy the Kid. “I like when you worry, you take care of us better then.” There was an underlying note of seriousness in the teasing tone as Heyes stopped in front of the livery. His sharp gaze studied the bustling main thoroughfare before dismounting. He reassuredly patted his friend’s knee, who was still mounted, signaling that he was satisfied they could rest up in the rugged mining town.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later a clean, well-rested and fed blonde ex-outlaw was getting dressed while a well satisfied soiled dove lounged across a disheveled bed, appreciating the view. It wasn’t often that she enjoyed her job, and she was savoring every last minute before returning to the harsh reality of her employment.

“Thanks Irene. It was real nice spendin’ the afternoon with you.” The Kid turned towards the bed smiling as he buttoned up his blue shirt and tucked it in.

“It was my pleasure…and I really mean that. I hope to see you again, Thaddeus.” The chestnut-haired girl sat up in bed, pulling the sheets up to barely cover her bare breasts. She looked up with a rare genuine shy smile.

“Well, if my partner and me are still here tomorrow, I’d like that. It looks like bad weather is blowing in so it’s a real good possibility that you’ll see me again.”

Kid reached for his gunbelt then swung it around his hips when the swift pounding of numerous hoofbeats sounded though the closed window. The wanted man peered through the window as he tied the holster down to his right thigh but couldn’t get a good view of the street. He pushed up the sash of the large window and cautiously stepped out onto the rooftop porch. In summer weather the girls would be sitting out there enticing potential customers. Curry stepped far enough across the roof to get a good look of the entire C Steet while still staying low. A quiet groan escaped from frowning lips. There were a group of familiar riders making their way to the other end of town. The end of town with the sheriff’s office. His right hand dropped to the butt on his gun as he backed up to the open window and stepped backwards into the room. Turning around, he rapidly swiped his brown hat from the chair and slapped it on his head.

“On second thought Irene, somethin’ just came up and I have to leave sudden like. Here’s a little somethin’ extra, take a break for yourself tomorrow.” The Kid fished into his vest pocket and retrieved a crumpled ten-dollar bill, tossed it on the dresser on his way out and flashed the girl a half smile.

Heyes was happily playing lunch time poker at the Silver Queen with a new group of men flush with the riches stemming from the Comstock Lode in the once booming but still prosperous mining town. The dark-haired, poker-playing ex-outlaw laid down his cards and with a satisfied air pulled another lucrative pot towards him. He leaned back and caught the eye of an attentive raven-haired waitress in a too-tight gaudy pink and black satin dress as she walked by the table.

“Another round for my friends here.” He directed at the girl with a dimpled grin and a wink. Turning back to the table, he anted up and waited for his cards. A firm hand landed on Heyes’ left shoulder and gave a quick purposeful squeeze. The dark head quickly turned and only just missed knocking heads with his blond partner who was bending down close to Heyes’ left ear.

Questioning brown eyes met blue one and quickly discerned the anxiousness and urgency hidden underneath the calm exterior.

“Aah, something came up. Keep the ante, fellas. Enjoyed the game.” Heyes stood up and swiftly stuffed his winnings into his pockets before following his waiting friend towards the back of the building and out the rear door.

The two men made their way down the back alley, keeping in the afternoon’s shadows. They quickly saddled and loaded their horses. Kid cautiously peered up C Street towards the center of town as he the reins of both horses while his partner settled up with the livery man. Mounting up the ex-outlaws, against their need to hurry, rode unhurriedly out of town to avoid undue attention.

The familiar whistle of a speeding 45 had both partners ducking close to their horse’s necks as they spurred the animals from a canter into a gallop along the uneven mountain trail. Kid cursed as he drew his Colt, dropped back further behind Heyes and twisted in the saddle, trusting his gelding to follow the chestnut. Heyes glanced back and his eyes widened in dismay and disbelief before turning his attention to finding the best route off the tail through the evergreens.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later found the partners watching the pale reds and corals of the dawn reflecting off the choppy waters of the southern end of Washoe Lake while their just barely rested horses drank their fill. Heyes finished drying his face with his shirt tail when still tired eyes looked up at his friend. “Think we lost them?”

“No.”

“I don’t either but I was hoping you did.”

“Let’s go, Heyes.”

“South to Carson City, east or west?”

“I don’t care. Anywhere but here.”

“West it is. That’s the way they’d least expect.”

“West it is then.”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

A day and a half later the afternoon, gray and cold, even for this time of year found Heyes and Curry tacking up their horses at the edge of the much larger Lake Tahoe after a short rest for them and their mounts. Kid had his horse saddled and was giving the area a once over to check that there were no signs of their passing.

Heyes was hefting his saddle on his gelding when he paused in mid heft. Brown eyes sparked with an idea and the saddle came thudding down to the ground. “Kid, you know this just doesn’t add up?”

“Huh?”
“It doesn’t
add up that this posse was able to follow us all the way from Elko. They must have an Apache or maybe two Apaches with them.”

“Apache aren’t from Nevada. They’re from Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and maybe Southern Colorado.”

Heyes did a double take back at the Kid as he busied himself hiding his saddle and tack under a thick bush, marking the site with artfully placed rocks.

Curry watched curiously, if impatiently. He absently added, “Nevada has the Washoe, Paiute, and Shoshone Indians. Come on, partner, the posse is close enough if the wood smoke I can smell is any indication.”

The older partner stood straight and his hands landed on his hips. “I thought you didn’t know much about Indians. How do you know that.”

“I can read just as good as you, Heyes. I just don’t like to bury my nose in a book. I made it my business to learn more about Indians after Apache Springs. That’s how.”

Heyes shook his head in amazement before turning serious. “The point is whoever they have tracking for them is better than darn good. They’ve managed to keep on our tail all though our best evading techniques for weeks. It’s time to do something totally unexpected.” Brown eyes homed in on the lakeshore. The lakeshore where a weathered row boat with a frayed rope hanging from its bow was caught up on the rocky shore.

Kid eyed his partner suspiciously before following Heyes’ line of sight. He backed up a step as his hand tightened unconsciously on the reins of his horse. “Heyes, what are you thinkin’?” Curry watched Heyes hurry to the grounded row boat and start to examine the alternate mode of transportation.

“They have us backed up against the lake so it’s fifty-fifty which way we’ll go. No one expects us to across the lake. They can’t track us over deep water, not even Apache.”

“They don’t have an Apache.” Kid ignored Heyes’ annoyed expression. He glanced up at the gray threatening sky before gazing out over the large lake. “You know how large this lake is don’t you? It will take forever to row across it, if that boat even has oars.” The older man bent down and lifted an oar off the bottom of the boat to show his reluctant friend. Curry continued to voice his concerns. “Okay, it has oars but rowing in the storm that’s coming isn’t gonna be easy. Look, there’s a pretty good chop already from this wind and the water isn’t its normal clear pretty blue but an angry gray and turbid.”

“You got any better ideas, Kid, ‘cause if you do let’s hear them. Our horses are just about done it and I don’t know how much longer we can keep riding without a proper rest.”

“Nothin’ restful about rowin’. And what are we gonna do when reach the other side without horses in the middle on nowhere. I only know of Tahoe City and Truckee on the other side this far north and who knows if we’ll even be landin’ anywhere near either one of them.”

Heyes was half listening to the Kid while he was shuffling his belongings into the boat. He walked up to Curry and reached for the bay’s cinch. “We’re out of options and this is best one left.”

“I can do it.” Curry slapped Heyes’ hand away and quickly and efficiently unsaddled his horse. He set about hiding the tack while Heyes moved the Kid’s saddle bags, bedroll and rifle into the rickety row boat.

“You get in and get ready to row. I’ll push us out and navigate. Then we can switch when you get too tired to row.” Heyes directed.

“It figures,” Curry muttered as he gingerly stepped into the rowboat. He placed the weathered gray oars into the rusty oarlocks and got into position. He glanced back behind him in trepidation at the large expanse of water as the first raindrops fell from the leaden sky.

Heyes grunted as he pushed the boat off the rocks into deeper water and managed to jump in before it drifted out too far.

“It’s raining.”

“Yep it’s raining. The rain will help hide our tracks.”

“What tracks? We’re in the lake.”

“We’re not in the lake, we are on the lake. And you know what tracks I meant. Stop being negative. You’ll see this is gonna work.”

Curry rowed hard at a steady pace, having a hard time going in a straight line given the increasing wind whipping across Lake Tahoe. Heyes had a difficult time seeing where they were going in the gloom of the driving rain. The distant shore could not be seen and they kept rowing in desperation.

The wind picked up and the waves got larger and the lake choppier. Water started to splash into the boat.

“Heyes get out of the bow. You’re making it too easy for the water to get in. Sit in the back or better yet sit here and row and I’ll get into the back.”
Heyes wiped the water out of his eyes and pushed his hair off his forehead. He grabbed hold of the wooden sides of the boat and carefully got into a crouch in the pitching vessel. He managed to turn himself around and just missed falling into the Kid’s lap as a large way rocked the boat hard. Kid tumbled backwards off the middle plank seat into the sloshing water at the bottom of the boat. He scooted backwards, swung is legs down and managed to heft himself up onto the stern plank seat. Both men were thoroughly drenched. Heyes took up the oars and rowed like his life depended upon it while Curry caught his breath.

“Let me know when you need a break, Heyes. It’s tough rowing in this. My arms feel like limp wet noodles.”

“Huh? Did you say something?” Heyes shouted over his tense shoulders. He was intent on rowing, with all his attention on the task at hand.

Kid leaned forward and placed a cold trembling hand on his partner’s shoulder. He yelled in the general direction of his partner’s ear “Its hard rowing in this. Let me know when you need a break. We’ve got to keep going or we’ll end up drowning in the middle of Lake Tahoe.”

Heyes nodded, braced his legs against a rib along the bottom of the boar and put his back into the rowing motion.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

The large posse stood huddled under a towering pine at the edge of Lake Tahoe. Nine men in western wear and one in Shoshone buckskins, all without slickers, were drenched to the bone and shivering. The marshal leading the posse took off his Stetson, shook off the collecting water and scratched his head in annoyed befuddlement.

“Men, it just doesn’t add up. Their horse tracks lead south but our tracker here, who had done a damn good job, says the horses are lighter and are without gear and riders.” The marshal turned towards the Shoshone, “my hat’s off to you even finding those tracks in this weather. But regardless Heyes and Curry seemed to disappear into thin air. They must be on foot heading South. It’s the only way they could go. They certainly aren’t swimming across Lake Tahoe. I say we head south since they couldn’t have gone far on foot. If we find someplace to shelter on the way we will until the weather breaks.”

The miserable men were only too happy to agree and gave scant glances across the water. In rapid time the lakefront was deserted.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

Kid’s blond head shot up from the churning water. He reached back and grabbed hold of his hat that was acting like a sea anchor strangling his neck and managed to drag it in front of him. He pitched it into the still floating boat after emptying it before another wave crashed over his head. Curry managed to grab the trailing rope and pulled himself along until he got a grip on the gunwales of the boat. He frantically looked around for his missing partner. Panic filled eyes finally spotted the bobbing dark head and grasping hands on the other side of the boat.

“We’re in the lake now.”

“Swim, Kid. Swim!” Heyes pointed over Kid’s shoulder towards barely discernable land before working his way towards the bow.

Both men tread water holding onto the boat for a few minutes. Heyes took a deep breaths and started stroking for the shore. Kid took the time to tie the rope around his waist and towed the boat with their belongings floating within as he followed his partner a little more slowly.

Both men were strong swimmers and managed to make the shore. They flopped down on solid land, chests heaving, shivering, and staring at a lightening sky. The wind lessened in intensity as the storm slowly passed. Kid rolled and got to his hands and knees to crawl further up the bank dragging the boat further out of the water. Water dripped from wet plastered curls. He raised his head.

“Heyes get up. Tell me those are our horses sheltering in the trees? We rowed in circle,” Curry cried out in alarm.

Heyes rolled over and got to his feet. He slowly approached the horses while looking around. “Look Kid.” He pointed to the muddle trampled ground, with water puddling in caved in hoof prints. “The posse came and went. It doesn’t matter if we rowed in circles and in fact maybe that was a good thing since we now have our horses and saddles back.”

Both men stood grinning, despite their exhaustion from a near downing.

“Kid, we’ll find someplace to shelter and hopefully dry off some. Then we’ll double back to Virginia City and cross the Sierras north. I’m betting the possee will head south if they haven’t decided to go home. I think we finally lost them.

“Sounds like a plan. Let’s go.”

I started this story for the May Day challenge intending to focus on the rowboat sinking and the boys having to swin to shore. But I never got that far. I wanted to enter a story this month but couldn't come up with a good idea. I thought to turn this old beginning into this months story today. This was what I could come up with in a few hours before the wire.

Notes:

M'aidez M'aidez (Help me, Help me)

A quick check of the OED shows the origin of this English word Mayday is French for “Help me!” The Oxford English Dictionary says it is a phonetic reproduction of the French that has become an international signal of distress. The International Radio Telegraph Convention of 1927 lists 51 Rules, and this is among them. The word “mayday” was officially born in 1927.

French speaking readers will point out, the French is wrong. “Help me!” in French would be “Aidez-moi!” (I’m glad my memory of my high school and college French wasn’t wrong) But then, Marconi was Italian. And if it wasn’t his fault, the International Radio Telegraph Convention was held in Washington, D.C., where French was not exactly a second language. So we’ll overlook the grammar and spelling errors and take the phrase at face value.

V&T line Virginia and Truckee Line

late 1871, a line extension to Reno was begun, to connect the V&T line with the Central Pacific Railroad. This would allow through train service between Virginia City and San Francisco.  Construction began with track being installed starting at the Reno end of the line. The first train to run end-to-end from Virginia City to Reno took place on August 24, 1872, pulled appropriately by the road's newest locomotive at the time, No. 11, the Reno. This milestone marked the completion of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad.

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 23 - this just doesn't add up   April 23 - this just doesn't add up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April 23 - this just doesn't add up
Page 1 of 1