Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

July 22 - One may smile and smile ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Empty
PostSubject: July 22 - One may smile and smile ...    July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 9:46 am

Hello to you one and all.

This month we have a challenge taken from (drum roll) the LIST
(The LIST is kept in a most secret vault)

Anyhow, please channel your inner bard, fish out your blank verse, and have a think about...

"One may smile and smile and be a villain" From Hamlet
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: July 22 - One may smile and smile ...    July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 pm

Hello Gang! hellowave I'm feeling rusty and a bit hesitant, but a smiling villain coerced me into writing a challenge this month, short as it might be.

"One may smile and smile and be a villain" From Hamlet

We were packed for the road, my partner and me.  Ready to wipe this town’s dust from our boots, and its one vile miscreant from our memories.  Except, here I sat in the saloon, whiskey glass in front of me, unable to stand up and walk out the batwing doors.

Danny Bilson was evil!  He’d killed Seth as sure as if he’d shot him with his gun.  Intended him to die along with me and the Kid when he left us in the desert!  Made no difference whether he’d killed Seth by intent or by action.  Danny was guilty of murder, even if the law wouldn’t convict him.

Seth deserved justice, and the Kid could deliver it, swift and sure.  The Kid was faster than that smiling, scheming, snake, and could wipe the sinister grin from that wretched face forever.   Danny Bilson was many things, but stupid wasn’t one of ‘em.  He’d never call out someone as fast as Kid Curry, even if that fella was going by the name, Thaddeus Jones.  I’d need to ponder on that.

The fact remained, the scales of justice declared Danny Bilson guilty.  Guilty as sin.

Me and the Kid were the good guys in this particular situation, weren’t we?  The deliverers of justice.

There I sat in the saloon, unable to move, staring into my whiskey glass as if it were a crystal ball, as if the amber liquid might hold the answer to my dilemma.  Instead, it seemed to be compelling me to self-examination.

“Stand and deliver!”

The scene from my past replayed so clearly.  Smile on my face, gun in my hand.  Robbing the folks on that train.

And the Kid, always at my side.  Smiling, gun in hand.  Threatening, coercing folks into compliance.

The two of us had played the cons and played the women.  Broke more hearts than we did banks, smiling all the while.  Smiling our way onto two wanted posters.  A $10,000.00 bounty on each of our heads.

The same scales of justice by which I had convicted Danny Bilson seemed to be declaring us guilty too.

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry -- the smilers with the guns.

No!  Me and the Kid were nothing like Danny Bilson!  We had never deliberately set out to hurt anyone and definitely never intended to kill anyone.  That intent made a difference, didn’t it?  If a man was condemned by his actions, couldn’t he be vindicated by his intent, IF his intent was for good?

But, who determined if a man was good or evil?  What separated the guilty from the innocent, the sinners from the saints, the heroes from the villains?

WE were the innocent victims this time!  Us, and Seth.  Danny was the villain!

Danny Bilson was guilty, but he would never call the Kid out.  I’d need to bait him.  Goad him into a fight with the Kid.

But that would be wrong, wouldn’t it?  Would it be wrong enough to make me guilty too?  A villain?  Even if the law don’t convict a man on his intentions?

It might.

Well then, I won’t bait Danny.  I’ll just warn him.  ‘Cause simply warning the fella to stay out of the Kid’s way until we leave town is different than baiting him or goading him, right?  

I’d actually be doing Danny a favor, wouldn’t I?

And after I warn him, it’ll be Danny’s choice.  If he chooses wrong, well, for the Kid, it’ll be nothing more than self-defense.

For me?  Like I said, me and the Kid are the innocent ones this time, right?  And the law don’t convict a man on his intentions.  

I smiled and tossed back the whiskey.  

July 2022

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: One may smile   July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 am

Sister Grace: This was a gem. it is a dilemma, Heyes did leave it up to Danny and he made his choice, should we feel bad that he died, no. He reaped what he sowed. It does make you think.
Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: July 2022 Challenge   July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 11:18 pm

One Can Smile and Smile and Still be a Villain
July 2022 Challenge
“Can’t find him anywhere,” Jed “Kid” Curry reported back to the waiting members of the Devil’s Hole Gang.

“Ain’t like Kyle to disappear like that,” said Wheat, with a hint of concern in his voice.  “Did you look upstairs?  He had eyes for that little blonde with a big blue bow in her hair.”

Giving Wheat an annoyed glare, Curry answered, “I opened every door upstairs.  He ain’t the one with that blonde and he ain’t upstairs.”

Hannibal Heyes hid a grin from the gang.  “You did WHAT?”

“I looked in every room.  We ain’t got time to waste; need to get out in front of that storm.”

Imagining the encounters that his partner had interrupted, Heyes' grin grew to include dimples.

Annoyed, Curry turned his annoyed glare to his partner.  “Wheat, when did you last see him?”

Thinking for a minute, Wheat said, “Playing poker in the Blue Coyote saloon.  He was winning real big.  Seemed like a real friendly game.”

“Kyle was winning?” Heyes interrupted.  “That was a full table of men that knew how to play poker.”

“Yeah, well, ah, I didn’t think of it that way but that was mighty suspicious,” Wheat answered slowly.

Heyes turned to the other gang members.  “Any of you recognize any of those men in that game?”  Heads shook all around.

“Only Wheat and Kyle went to the Blue Coyote.  The rest of us went to the Leaky Bucket; they got new dancing girls there,” admitted Hank.  “But we looked there for him.  Games still going on but two of the seats are empty.”

“Come on.”  Heyes motioned to Curry as he marched to the Blue Coyote.  “Rest of you keep looking in every barn and outbuilding you can find.  Kyle’s here somewhere.”

Ignoring orders, Wheat followed Heyes and Curry and joined them at the long, narrow bar of the Blue Coyote.  

Smiling at the bartender, Heyes held up three fingers and said, “Whiskey.”  The barkeep studied the three men as he set up the three glasses and poured their drinks.  Heyes had turned his back and was watching the poker game.  Looking back at the bartender, he commented, “Heard you had a real gambler in here playing earlier,” Heyes commented, trying to sound casual.

The slight man grew pale and backed up against the liquor display shelf.  “He was just riding through, but it was Smiling Sonny Ford.  He’s got a reputation.  I didn’t want to rile him, but I sent the boy for the sheriff.”  The bartender’s voice trembled as he spoke in a soft whisper, “By the time he got here, Ford was leaving.”

“He win big?” asked Heyes.

“No, another man did.  Small blonde stranger, bad teeth, missed the spittoon when he spit.  He left with Ford, though.  They seemed mighty friendly and very drunk.”

A chill ran down Heyes’ spine.  He knew of Smiling Sonny Ford, a card shark, a card cheat, a bounty hunter and a con man; a con man that left his mark broke and beaten or dead.  “Do you know where they went?”

“Nah, don’t even know which way they turned out the door.  I was just happy Ford left.”  He started to wipe the glass rings off the bar.  

Heyes, Curry, and Wheat turned to leave with a new purpose.  

“Wait!” the barkeep called them back.  “Don’t know where they went but I overheard the stranger say something like, “That seems like a fair price for a bird that can fly backwards.”

Incredulous, Wheat repeated, “A bird that can fly backwards?”

Leaving the saloon, Heyes mumbled to himself and anyone close enough to hear, “Where exactly might one keep a bird that can fly backwards?”

Stopping on the boardwalk, the three men tried to look at the small town with different eyes.  

“His hotel room?” asked Wheat.

“Maybe, find Hank and ask at both the hotels if anyone staying there has a bird.  In fact, ask at the boarding house, too,” instructed Heyes, as he watched Wheat hurry away.  

“Where else?” he asked Curry.

Curry smiled.  “Remember that mark we hit with Soapy?  The one who kept homing pigeons on the roof?”

“That’s what I was thinking.”  Heyes squinted up to see the nearby roofs.  All he saw was wooden trim blocking his view.

Realizing he was alone on the street, Heyes saw Curry climbing a ladder to the saloon rooftop.  Following his partner, Heyes watched him scanning roofs with care.  

“There!” Curry whispered, pointing to a roof across the street and down the block.  “There’s someone on that roof.”

Knowing that Curry’s eyes were sharper at a distance, Heyes ran back to the ladder.  “Let’s go!”

Seeing a ladder attached to the outside of the building, Curry climbed trying to be silent.  Heyes had pointed silently that he was going to try and find roof access within the building, a leather shop about to close for the day.

Hearing Kyle before seeing him, Curry stayed low as he stepped onto the roof in back of the two men he found there.  

“Just looks like a regular pigeon to me,” Kyle was saying.  “They were all over the courthouse back home.”

“Ah but he can fly backwards!” the other man said.

“Thanks for offering but I think you can keep your bird and I want my three thousand dollars back.”  Kyle decided, trying to hand the pigeon back to the man.

“I don’t think so.  We had a deal,” Smiling Sonny Ford answered.

Curry stepped forward.  “Give the man his money back,” he told Ford while assuming his gunfighter’s stance.

Ford turned and saw the cold blue steel determination in Curry’s eyes.  He paid it no heed as he was confident no baby-faced outlaw could outdraw him.  Smiling, he faced Curry and held his right hand in anticipation over his gun.

Patiently, Curry stared back at him.  “Don’t want no bloodshed; just give the man back his money and take your bird.”

“Ain’t gonna happen, boy, so just be on your way and let us finish our transaction.”

Saying nothing, Curry shook his head, watching his opponent’s eyes rather than his gun hand.

Ford went for his gun.  Curry’s gun was in his hand faster, and he shot Ford in the forearm before he finished his draw.  Ford’s gun dropped to the roof unfired.

“Kid, glad to see you.”  Kyle attempted to walk but drunkenly staggered over to Curry as Heyes opened the inside door to the roof.  

With a sigh of relief that the Kid and Kyle were okay, Heyes took charge.  “Kyle, you give this man your money?”

“Yeah, but I told him I wanted it back and he could keep his bird.”

Heyes drew his gun and walked over to the bleeding man.  “Where’s the money?”

“In my shirt pocket,” the man said through grimaced teeth.

Heyes pushed open the man’s coat and reached into his shirt pocket.  He took the money there and returned a twenty to the pocket.  “You’re gonna need money for a doctor for that arm.”

Ford said nothing.  Kyle attempted to hand him the pigeon, but he batted it away with his left hand.  Watching the bird fly away, Kyle said, “Just flies straight ahead like every other bird I seen.”

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

“You mean that man Ford was cheatin’ at the poker game makin’ ME win?” Kyle asked incredulously as they rode back to Devil’s Hole.

“Yes, Kyle, it’s an old con.  Set up someone else to win big and then steal the money from them later.”

“Should have known I couldn’t be that lucky, but he kept smiling and smiling at me like he was my friend.”  

“One can smile and smile but still be a villain.  I heard that in a play once,” Heyes told him.

“Well, it sure was true.”  Kyle pondered out loud, “If you can’t trust someone who’s smilin’ at you, who can you trust?”  

None of the gang members answered.  Kyle suddenly sat up straight and smiled widely.  “I know.  I trust you all, the Devil’s Hole Gang led by Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry”.  And once again all felt right in Kyle’s world.

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: July 22 - One may smile and smile ...    July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 8:34 pm

"One may smile and smile and be a villain" from Hamlet

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry leaned against the wall watching the 4th of July Independence party at the mansion.  They were wearing their best suits and hats and sipping punch from small cups.

The Kid tugged at the neck of his shirt and tie.  “Sure is hot in here.”

“Yep,” Heyes agreed.

“How long you suppose we have to stay here?”

“Until Mac says we can go.”

Curry swallowed the rest of his punch.  “A beer would taste better than this sweet drink.”

“Yep,” Heyes agreed.  He made eye contact with Patrick McCreedy and raised a brow.  Seeing a slight shaking of Mac's head, he sighed.

“Mac said we still gotta stay, huh?”

“He sure did.”

“It sure would be a nice gesture if the governor of Wyoming would give us our independence on this 4th of July.”  Curry took out his hankie and wiped the sweat from his face.  “That’s it.  I’ll be back.”

“Where are you going?”

“Outside and get some water.  Maybe there’s a breeze out there.”  Curry pocketed his hankie and headed towards the door.

“Wait.  I’m coming, too.”  Heyes followed his partner.

Outdoors, they both loosened their ties and removed their jackets.  They made their way to a pump and drank the cool water flowing into their hands.

Heyes patted his face and neck with the damp hands.  “That feels better.”

“Yeah, and there’s a bit of a breeze, too.”  The Kid sipped water from his hands again.  “I still don’t see why we have to be here.”

“I don’t really, either.”

“And I really don’t like the way that banker is actin’.  What was his name?”

“Ralph Peterson?”

“That’s it – Ralph Peterson.”

Heyes nodded.  “Always laughing…”

“And smilin’ all the time.  Ain’t natural to smile like that.  Reminds me of…”

“Danny Bilson.  I agree.”  

“Yep, smilin’ just like Danny all the time.  Can’t be trusted, if you ask me.”

Heyes put his jacket back on.  “We better get back inside before Mac misses us.”

“Okay.”  Curry followed suit and soon they were leaning against the wall near an open window.

McCreedy made his way over to them.  “Where’d you go?”

“Outside for a drink of water,” Heyes answered irritated.  “Are you going to tell us why we’re here?”

“The banker of Red Rock – Ralph Peterson.”

“We remember him.  He loaned us some money once.”

McCreedy scowled.  “Yeah, to do that five pat hands trick on me.”

“What about him?” the Kid asked.

“I want you to keep an eye on him.  I think he’s up to no good.”

Peterson laughed loudly and long at what someone said to him.

“Just watch him and we’ll talk tomorrow morning.”  McCreedy left to visit with more of his guests.

An hour later, Ralph Peterson was making his way towards the door.

Curry nudged his partner to get his attention and then tilted his head showing which way to look.

Heyes briefly nodded that he saw the banker getting ready to leave.  “Mac did say to keep an eye on him.  Maybe we should follow him.”

“What!?  And leave this excitin’ party?”  Kid Curry smiled.  “Let’s go!”

The two former outlaws quickly made their way out the back door, removing their hats, jackets, and ties.

“My gun!” Curry exclaimed.  “Won’t take me but a minute.  Give me your stuff and I’ll take them upstairs when I get my Colt.  Meet you in the barn.

Heyes nodded and slipped out the door.

When the Kid met him in the barn, Heyes was cinching his saddle.  “Since I’m done, I’ll put on your bridle, and you can put on the saddle.”

The two men worked quickly and efficiently.  A few minutes later, they were mounted and cautiously riding out of the barn.

“Over there.”  Curry pointed to the banker riding in a buggy down the lane.

“Let’s stay behind enough so he doesn’t know he’s being followed.”

Heyes and Curry slowly rode down the road staying in the shadows, when possible.

They followed the banker to a gambling hall in a nearby town.

“Mr. Peterson, I’m glad you could join us,” a man at the door greeted him.

“I wouldn’t miss it, Homer.”

“You have the buy in, of course?”

Ralph patted his pocket.  “Of course.”

“The game is being played in the usual alcove.”  The man waved the banker in.

Heyes and the Kid dismounted in the shadows and tied their horses to a post in front of the closed store next to the gambling hall.

“Now what?” Curry asked.

“Let’s go in and watch Peterson.  Stay out of his sight.”  Heyes ran fingers through his hair and straightened his shirt.

The Kid brushed off the little dust from the ride and nodded to his partner.

They went to the door and smiled.

“May I help you?” the doorman asked.

“Just looking for a good game of poker,” Heyes answered.

“And you?”

“Ah, poker or twenty-one tonight,” Curry replied.

“Are you new to the area?”

“You could say.”  Heyes pointed to the Kid.  “My friend here is the nephew of Patrick McCreedy.”

“Really?”

“Yep, Uncle Mac and my ma are siblings.  We’re visitin’ him and thought we’d have a night out.”

“Well, any nephew of Mr. McCreedy and his friend are welcome inside.  However…” the man hesitated.  “We don’t allow guns to keep the peace.  I’m afraid you’ll have to check it in with the bartender and get it back when you leave.”

“Not a problem, right Thaddeus?”  Heyes nudged his partner.

“No, no problem.  I’ll be sure to give it immediately to the bartender.”

The two former outlaws went to the bar where they ordered two beers and Kid Curry turned over his Colt.  As they sipped their drinks, they turned their backs to the bar and looked around the room.

“He’s over there.”  Heyes smiled as he pointed to the banker settling down in a chair in an alcove.  “Convenient that he’s facing away from the room.”

“Sure is.”  The Kid took a sip of beer.

“There’s an empty spot in the poker table near him.  I’m going to join it so I can hear what’s going on at Peterson’s table.”

Curry nodded.  “Think I’ll play a little twenty-one nearby, too.”

“Sounds like a plan.”  Heyes took a swig of beer and moved across the room.  “Howdy.  Do you have room for one more?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Later that night, Heyes and the Kid rode back to McCreedy’s ranch.

“The banker sure lost a lot of money tonight,” Curry commented.

“Yeah, he was playing like it wasn’t his money.”  Heyes pondered on what he'd watched going on at the gambling hall.  

“Seemed to be a regular, too.”

Heyes nodded in agreement.  “He sure did.”  

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, Joshua and Thaddeus made their way down to the dining room for breakfast.

“Where did you two disappear last night?” Mac growled.

“You told us to keep an eye on Ralph Peterson, right?” Joshua asked as he poured two coffees.

“Yes, I did,” McCreedy confirmed.

“We followed the banker when he left the party early.”  Thaddeus took the proffered cup of coffee, sat down, and began spooning scrambled eggs on his plate.  

“Well, where’d he go?”

“He went to a gambling hall in Redford.  Lost quite a bit of money but didn’t seem too upset about it.”  Joshua took a few pieces of sausage.  “Playing like it really wasn’t his money.”

“And he was treated like a regular customer there,” Thaddeus added before taking a bite of his pancake.

Patrick McCreedy shook his head.  “That’s what I was afraid of.”

“Think he’s taking money from the bank that don’t belong to him?” Joshua asked.

“That’s exactly what I think!  There was a recent bank audit when I brought up my concerns, but everything seemed to be okay.”

“Maybe he’s keepin’ two sets of books?  We’ve seen it happen before.”  Thaddeus helped himself to another pancake.

“I’m sure he is, but we have to prove it.  I need you two to go into the bank when it’s closed and check in the safe and other places for a second book.”

Joshua and Thaddeus stopped eating.

“We don’t do anything illegal, Mac, and you know it.”  Joshua glared at their host.

“Not illegal… just looking around for something that IS illegal.”

“Enterin’ a bank when it’s closed is illegal,” Thaddeus stated.

“But you two… well, you’ve done it before.  Why, you even entered Armendariz’s house for the bust of Caesar.”  McCreedy paused.  “How much will you do it for?”

Heyes pondered.  “What if it’s not in the bank?”

“Why, you can go to his house.  I know he has a safe there in his den.  I can keep him busy.”

Heyes and Curry looked at each other.  The Kid nodded.

“Five thousand to find the second set of books,” Heyes stated.

“Five thousand!?  That’s robbery!”

“That’s what it’ll cost you and that’s the deal since we may have to do it twice.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry tied their horses by the lively saloon and disappeared into the shadows of Red Rock.  A few minutes later, they were in the back of the bank by a locked door.  Heyes removed his lock picks and quickly went to work while the Kid watched his back with his Colt in his hand.  Heyes smiled as the two slipped through the opened door.

Heyes immediately sat in front of the safe while Curry began checking the bank president’s office and desk.

Thirty minutes later, the Kid came out of the office and shook his head while Heyes carefully put the money back into the safe and closed it.

“Nothing,” Curry whispered.

“Nothing in the safe, either.”  Heyes stood.

Moments later, two men quickly exited from the bank’s back door and made sure it was locked.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“So, there was nothing in the bank?” McCreedy confirmed as the three men sat in the den having a late-night drink.

“Nothing to discriminate against himself.”  Heyes took a sip of brandy

“I’ll keep him busy tomorrow night so you can check his house.”  The older gentleman put down his empty glass.

“Does he have family or servants who’ll be in the house?” asked the Kid?

“No, he lives alone in town.  It’s the nicest house at the end of Central Street.  You can’t miss it.”

“Tomorrow night it is.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Ralph, thanks for coming on such short notice,” McCreedy invited his friend into the house.

“Anything for my best customer!” the banker chuckled.

“I have dinner ready.  Let’s go eat before we get to business.  I hate to do work on an empty stomach.”

“I agree!” Ralph said as he followed Patrick into the dining room.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and the Kid avoided Main Street and turned on to Central.  They rode to the end of the street and looked around.

Heyes pointed to the nice house to their right. “That must be it.”

They rode a little further to an oak and hobbled their horses underneath the tree.

Stealthily, they made their way back to the house to a side window towards the back.  Heyes pulled out a pick and maneuvered the lock to the open position.  Looking around, he slid the window open and climbed into the house with Curry behind him.

“Well, this isn’t the den.”  Heyes put his hands on his hips as he looked around.

The Kid slid the window shut and glanced inside the room.  “Nice bedroom, though.”

“Come on.”  Heyes led the way down the hall.  He opened a door.  “Here it is.”

Curry nodded, his gun out and ready for anything.

They entered the room, and the Kid pulled the shades down.

Heyes found an oil lamp on the desk, put it on the floor so the desk would shield the light from the window, and lit it.  He turned the wick down so the room had a soft glow.  He checked behind the closest landscape picture, but it didn’t have a safe behind it.  He moved the second landscape picture and smiled as he placed it on the floor exposing the safe.  He put his ear to the safe and began manipulating the dial.

The Kid, meanwhile, checked the desk and drawers, even looking for a possible secret compartment.

Heyes grinned as he opened the safe.  “I miss this part of the job.”

Curry shook his head.  “Just check what’s inside of it.”

Removing the money and paperwork, Heyes checked it all over.  “Nothing!  Are you finding anything?”  He closed the safe and hung the picture again.

“Maybe.”  The Kid was on the ground under the desk tapping lightly.  “Seems like there might be a place for it here.”

Heyes quickly joined his partner on the floor.  Curry tapped on a front and a tall thin door opened on the right side under the desk.

Heyes patted the Kid’s arm.  “There it is!”  He pulled it out and looked at some of the pages.  “This is exactly what Mac was hoping for.”

“Now what?”

Heyes put the book back and closed the door.  “We tell Mac exactly where it is and he can come here with the sheriff.”

“Sounds like a plan.”  Curry stood up.  “Now let’s get outta here.”

They moved the chair back into position, dowsed the lamp and returned it to its original location, then opened the blinds again before leaving out the window.

Heyes glanced back inside before he pulled the window down.  “Like we were never here,” he grinned.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“You found it?” McCreedy asked immediately when they came back to the ranch.

“We did.  There’s a secret compartment in his desk,” Curry told him as he hung up his hat on a hook in the hall.

“It’s not even in a safe?”

“Nope.  I checked and there was deeds and money, but no book.”

“Pretty brazen of him not to have it locked up.”

“Yeah, but this way no one needs to know I opened those safes.”

“That’s true.  Come into the den and tell me more while we have a drink.”

Mac poured three crystal glasses with expensive brandy and handed one to them.  “Now I just have to show the sheriff…”

“Mac, you and the sheriff have to search the room like you don’t know.  Don’t go straight to the desk and find the book,” the Kid cautioned.

“I won’t.  I won’t.”

“So, about our payment…” Heyes took a drink.

“I don’t have the book yet.  What if he moves it?  You don’t get paid until I have the book.”

“Okay, we’ll wait until you come back and then you’ll pay us,” the Kid said.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Sheriff, I know Peterson is stealing from his own bank!”

“So you’ve said, but the bank auditor couldn’t find it.”

“That’s because there’s two sets of books – one to make it look right and one with the actual transactions.”  Mr. McCreedy pounded his cane on the ground.

“How do you know there’s a second set of books?  Where would it be?” the sheriff asked.

“At his house and there HAS to be another set of books.”

The sheriff reluctantly stood up.  “Okay, let’s go to Mr. Peterson’s house and check it out.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Sorry to bother you, Mr. Peterson, but Mr. McCreedy here is insisting you have another set of books with transactions.”

“We already went through this, Mac, and the auditor couldn’t find anything!” Ralph declared.  “Come in, if you insist.”

Mac pushed his way inside and went into the den.  “It’s in here somewhere.”

Peterson sat at his desk and laughed.  “If you say so.”

“Mr. Peterson, do you have a safe in your den?” asked the sheriff.

“I do.”

“Can you open it for us, sir?”

“Sure.”  Peterson got up, removed the picture, made sure no one was near him, and opened the safe.  “There you go.”

Mac and the sheriff rushed over and checked the contents of the safe.

“It’s not here,” the sheriff stated the obvious.

Ralph sat down, again, and watched amused as the sheriff and Mac searched the room.  Occasionally he laughed at where they were looking.

“Move out of the way!” McCreedy demanded as he walked over to the desk.  He made a pretense of searching drawers and then tapped the hidden door.  “Well, sheriff, look what we have here!” he said as he pulled the bank ledger from the secret compartment.

Ralph Peterson paled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes, Curry and Mac sat on the veranda sipping brandy.

“So, he admitted what he was doing?” Heyes asked, closing the book he had been reading.

“He had to!”  Mac took a sip.  “Caught him red-handed, you might say.”

“Good.  So, you can pay us now,” Curry said with authority.

“How about four thousand since the sheriff and I had to get the book.”

“We agreed on five thousand since we had to go into the bank and his house.”  The Kid's expression said they wouldn’t settle for less.

“Okay, five thousand,” McCreedy grumbled.

“You know, I read an interesting line from this book in your library.”  Heyes held up the book.  “Hamlet.”

“You read Shakespeare?” Mac asked.

“Joshua will read anything,” Curry stated.  “What’s the quote?”

“'One may smile and smile and be a villain.'  Seems kinda fitting.”

“It sure does,” the Kid agreed.

“Well, Ralph Peterson isn’t smiling now.”  Mac McCreedy smiled.

The three men raised their glasses and took a sip.

Dan Ker, Gemhenry, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 22 - One may smile and smile ...    July 22 - One may smile and smile ...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

July 22 - One may smile and smile ...
Page 1 of 1