Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

June 2021 - Father / Pa

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

June 2021 - Father / Pa Empty
PostSubject: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 pm

I get to choose the monthly challenge prompt?!     Shocked   YIKES!!  
What prompt to choose... what prompt to choose... scratch
How about...

FATHER / PA

A father-figure
A Father (a religious person)
Heyes or Kid are married and have families
Heyes or Kid fathered a child and didn't know
A childhood story or flashback of the boys' fathers
OR use your imagination!

Get out your pens and start writing!  writing

Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2021 12:47 pm

After I started a storyline with female Heyes, which turned out way better than expected, the thought wouldn’t leave me if it was possible to write a story with almost ASJ feeling featuring a female Kid Curry. I apologize to everyone concerned, and promise it’s unlikely you will see more of it.
-o-o-o-
There she was: beautiful as a spring day and dangerous as a death wish. I hadn’t seen her in years. We’d split up when I started to ... discover my manhood. With my looks I had a lot of opportunity, and I took what was offered willingly. She told me I was stupid and reckless, trusting anyone with a pretty face. I saw no bad in that, seeking comfort and relief with every soft-curved body and tender hands available. Heck, I was so needy that time that it didn’t matter to me who I was with. My key to success was a blend of appreciative glances wandering back and forth, a bit of inviting body language, finished off with my most brilliant dimpled smile. It always worked in my favor, and bought me more than one sweaty night of pleasure. In the morning we would part and never see each other again. Easy as that. But not for the Kid.

She was a marks(wo)man already, married to that old gun of hers. She was good, too good. She killed her first man when she was 16, a nasty guy by the name of Hank Plots. He was forcing his attention on her, and one night in a back alley, she shot him in the gut and called it self-defense. I was young and stupid, scolding her for shooting down a well-liked town citizen like that, calling trouble on us. She was raging mad, yelling at me, demanding to know what I thought she was supposed to do.

“Close your eyes, go with it, and forget about it,” I busted out. “It has no meaning at all.”

“No meaning? No meaning?!?” she threw back at me. “That *** was trying to rape me. Maybe that has no meaning for you, but it sure has for me!”

“Come on, clam down. It was only about...” I started defending my point of view, but she cut me off.

“Yeah, I know, it was only about me. Everything is about you these days.” she replied with acid in her voice as she started to grab her few belongings.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Getting the heck outta here,” she muttered. “Get away from you, until you start thinking with your brains again.”

“Come on, Kid, ...” I tried to calm her down, laying my hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

“No, get your hands off me!” She snapped, panned the room and went for the door. She turned around in the doorframe and threw a glance at me I never quite understood. She was standing tall and proud, head up high, blue eyes cold and piercing, her untamed blond hair curling around her face. Her body was trembling with anger and she radiated danger.

Suddenly it occurred to me how beautiful she was. What temptation her looks might mean for other men. Still lanky and in need of filling out her frame, but developing curves in all the right places. A dangerous gift for a homeless kid without family bonds. There was nobody to defend her. No father, no brother, all that was left was me. And I was anything but a father figure, never was, never will be. I had failed her royally. That’s the thing with busting out: you never know about the collateral damage and you can’t undo it. Having time to think about it, I realized I should learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes. Listen to her first. But I would rather die than admit it to her.

Our eyes met and she stilled. “Take care of yourself,” she whispered. Then she was gone.

I didn’t follow her, told myself she wouldn’t go far. There was no way for her to make it on her own. I was the brains, the thinker of the outfit. She would be lost without me. She would return. She had to. She knew.

Maybe it would take her a few days to come to her senses. Maybe a few days more, but in the end she would come back.

Six years passed...

I was at the end of my rope. I stood in the middle of the main street of a nameless town and knew I would die. No sweet-talking had done me any favors; no promise had helped me out of my predicament. For Ben Tucker I was a cheat and a no good, and he would do the world a favor and rid it of me. I was good with a gun, but he was better. I knew. Yet I had to try. When you’re in a standoff there’s only so many ways to make it out of it. I preferred a vertical one.

Time seemed to stretch. No sound was to be heard. A twitch of his eye alerted me and we drew almost in synch, me already knowing I was a beat behind, when a shot rang out. I froze waiting for the pain to set in, but it never came. Instead Tucker dropped his gun, and bent over clasping his hand.

He glared at a spot behind my right shoulder. When he reached out to pick the iron up again, a low voice stopped him. “I have the older claim on him, mister. He’s mine. We’ve got a score to settle, and you won’t get in my way.”

Sand crushed under boots as the speaker edged around me. Brown floppy hat, blond curly hair, an undeniable female figure, clad in tan leather, stepped in front of me.

“Get out of my way, kid!”

“Nope,” she said, took off her gloves and tucked them behind her gunbelt. She was standing relaxed now, but ready to draw. I knew the stance. I had seen it a hundred times before. “Only over my dead body.”

Tucker squinted his eyes against the sun. “Who are you?”

“The one who’s gonna leave this place with him.” She indicated me with her thumb. “You gonna let us go or do we have to shoot it out?”

“You think I wouldn’t draw on a woman?”

“I think you wouldn’t draw on Kid Curry.”

“Kid...?” Ben paled and stepped back from his gun. “You...?”

The blond head bopped up and down in a nod.

“Alright. No offense.” Ben Tucker murmured.

“None taken,” the Kid replied and dropped her stance. She followed Ben with her eyes as he left the place, keeping his hands always in her line of sight. Finally, she turned around and looked at me. With her brilliant blue eyes twinkling she smiled at me. “Hiya, Heyes. Still getting into trouble with that big mouth of yours, huh? You even tried to find your brains?”

Penski and Nebraska Wildfire like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2021 5:21 am

I saw this challenge and couldn't resist. Be warned this ficlet is a sequel to my long story. "After Amnesty." But I think it can be read as a standalone.  Lizzie is Kid's daughter by his late first wife and he married Kathleen when Lizzie was six. He and Heyes own a saloon and hotel business. Victoria is an ex-saloon girl.

Heyes entered his and Kid's office and sighed when his partner didn't even look up from staring as if fascinated at the cup in his hand as he sat feet up on his heavy wooden desk. He'd been distracted all day, not even rising to any of Heyes' sarcasm, despite his best efforts. Heyes wondered if he'd heard most of what he'd said. Well enough was enough! He shut the door hard which briefly made Kid look up before he returned to his distracted staring.

“Dammit, Kid, this strong silent act is getting on my nerves. Wish you'd just tell me what's on your mind. I think Kathleen could waltz in nekkid and you'd not notice...” Heyes laughed, as that brought his partner's head sharply up, a small reminiscent smile on his face. “All right, so least you'd notice that.” He paused and added less irritated. “You and her have a fight?”  It was rare that Kid and his wife argued, unlike him and Victoria, who bickered for fun. But when they did, it was usually a cracker that left folk diving for cover and his partner either angry or guilty depending on the reason for it. Heyes was relieved when the Kid shook his head still smiling slightly. “I still ain't blind, Heyes, I'd sure notice my wife nekkid!” He stopped talking and his smile dropped before he added. “We ain't had a fight neither, just she's pregnant and I ain't certain how to break it to Lizzie.”

Heyes' amusement faded and sympathy quickly took it's place. Lizzie was as fiery as her Father had been at her age and used to being the center of both his and her stepmother's world. He could see why Kid was worried about how she'd take the news. “She might be happy, Kid. Can be kinda lonely being an only one.” He spoke from some experience, he remembered well how happy he'd been when Jed had grown old enough to join in his mischief. But he also remembered how upset a five year old Jed had been at the news of his Ma being pregnant. Lizzie was his partner's double in so many ways that he appreciated the concern.

“We ain't sure, Heyes, you know how I was when Mary was born.” Heyes instinctively reached out to his partner and squeezed his shoulder, knowing how hard that memory still was. Only a few years later, he'd have given anything to have a sister to argue with. “Well Caroline and Jacob don't seem to argue too much.” Heyes' face clouded a bit as he added. “Well no more than six times a day anyway, so Victoria says.”

“You ain't helping Heyes.”

“You ain't gonna know 'till you tell her, Jed, best get it outta the way.”

“Easy for you to say, when you ain't gotta live with the sulking.”

Heyes laughed then. “Oh, Kid, she's only nine, how bad can it be? Ain't like she's armed or nothing.”

“Yeah, good thing I keep my gun locked up when I ain't working.”

Heyes swallowed his returned amusement with some difficulty, as he decided a little reluctantly, that teasing his partner was probably very unfair, when he was so genuinely worried and quite possibly with good reason. He instead said mildly. “Maybe you oughta let Kathleen tell her.” Kathleen was far less likely to get riled if Lizzie took it badly and that would only be a good thing, but he wasn't overly surprised when Kid shook his head with a grimace. “Ain't right takin' the easy way but maybe me and Kathleen oughta tell her together. Kathleen knows how to handle her better than me. Must be some secret woman thing.”

Heyes laughed. “I don't think so, Kid, pretty sure it's a you and Lizzie thing...”

Kid glared at him then. "You still ain't helpin'...but  I wouldn't say no to a drink after if you ain't busy.”

Heyes smiled and patted him again. “When am I ever too busy for a drink?”

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire and Nightwalker like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 7:38 am

Pa

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry cautiously rode into Pine City checking out the establishments and where the local jail was located.  An older man with a large, droopy mustache and a silver star on his vest watched them ride past.  The former outlaws smiled and nodded to the sheriff and he reciprocated.

Heyes turned towards his partner.  “Seems like a friendly town, Thaddeus.”  

“Yep.  Let’s get a drink before settlin’ in just in case that sheriff decides to check his wanted posters.”  Kid Curry reined his horse towards the saloon.

They let their horses drink from a trough while continuing to watch for any possible trouble.

“Yep, seems like we can stay for a few days,” Heyes concluded.  “It’ll be nice getting clean and staying in a real bed.”

“And eat a meal that doesn’t have beans.”  Curry tied his horse to a hitching post.  “Let’s get that drink.”

“Right behind you, partner.”

Kid Curry walked into the saloon and hesitated a moment for his eyes to adjust and checked the place before walking to the bar.

Heyes joined him and motioned to the bartender.  “Two whiskeys.”

“Comin’ right up!”  The man grabbed two glasses and wiped them clean before placing on the bar before his new customers.  He reached under the bar and pulled out a bottle.  “You new to Pine City?” he asked as he poured.

“Just passing through and thought we’d stay a few days.  Seems like a friendly place.”  Heyes downed his drink and coughed.  “Another one.”

“That it is.”  The bartender topped both glasses.  “Some may call it boring, but we like it nice and slow.”

Kid Curry winked and smiled at one of the ladies at the other end of the bar as he sipped his second drink.  “Yep, nice and friendly.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening, a clean Heyes and Curry were getting ready for bed.

“Not the best poker in this town,” Heyes commented, shaking his head.  “They bid on two of a kind and the biggest pot was less than five dollars.”

The Kid crawled into his bed and yawned.  “Girls are awful nice, though.”

“The girls might be nice, but they made more than I did at the poker table tonight.  We may have to leave sooner than planned since I won’t be adding to our funds.”

“How about we talk about it during breakfast?”  Curry yawned again and turned his back to his partner.  “Night, Heyes.”

Heyes got into bed.  “Mind if I read a little?”

“Go ahead,” the Kid mumbled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry entered the café and sat down at an open table.  They only had to wait a few minutes before a busy waitress hurried over with two cups and a pot of coffee.

“Would you like…”  The waitress gasped and spilled some coffee.

“Ma’am?”  Heyes took his napkin and dabbed at the brown pool on the table.

“Oh, I am so sorry.  You look so much like my husband it surprised me.  Let me clean that up and pour you some coffee.”  She took a towel that was hanging over her shoulder and wiped the table clean while glancing at Heyes.

“Sorry for staring.  You certainly do look like my Hank.”  The waitress poured two cups of coffee.  

“What happened to your husband, ma’am, if you don’t mind me askin’?” Curry asked.

“He went to the gold fields and was going to get rich quick.”  She sighed.  “I stopped hearing from him almost a year ago when he was in Atlantic City.”

“We’re sorry to hear that.”  Heyes gave her a sympathetic smile.

“Enough about me… What can I get you for breakfast?”  The waitress mustered a smile.  “Today’s special is two pancakes, three eggs, three sausages, toast, and coffee.”

“How big are the pancakes?” Curry asked.

“About as big as the plate.”

“Two specials?”  Heyes raise a brow to his partner, who nodded.

“Two specials coming up!”

Kid Curry sipped his coffee.  “Tastes good.”

“About leaving… We’ll have to move on or see if there’re jobs nearby. Our funds won’t last long without us winning some poker games.”

“How about we see what jobs are available.?  The sheriff isn’t lookin’ at us too close.”

The waitress brought over two plates overflowing with food.  “Here you go, two specials.”

“Looks good!” Curry commented.

“I’ll get the coffee and top off your cups.”  She left and was back after filling a few cups on the way.

“Excuse me.”  Heyes swallowed.  “Do you know of any jobs in the area?”

“Well, the Circle Y is about to have a cattle drive and head over to Wichita.”

Curry wrinkled his nose.  “Guess we’ll be leavin’ after breakfast, Joshua.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry got their horses from the livery after breakfast and brought them over to the hotel.  They got their belongings, checked out, and were tying down the saddlebags.

The waitress was walking down the boardwalk towards them with a young boy.  “Safe travels.”

Her son stopped and stared at Heyes.  “Pa?  Pa!  Ma, it’s Pa!”  He ran over to him and hugged his leg.  “I knew you’d come back for us!”

“Tommy!”  The waitress hurried over.  “Oh, I’m so sorry!”  She grabbed the boy’s wrist and tried to pull him towards her.  “That’s not him, Tommy.  Be a good boy and listen.”

“No!  It’s Pa!” Tommy cried and clung to Heyes’ leg.  “Don’t go!  Don’t leave us again!”

Heyes looked at his partner with a “what do I do” look on his face.

Kid Curry shrugged his shoulders.

Heyes gently removed the boy’s arms and sat on his haunches.  “It’s Tommy?”

The boy nodded, tears streaming from his eyes.

“Your mother thought I looked like your pa this morning, too.  Pretty handsome guy, huh?”

The mother smiled.

“I wish I was your pa, but, unfortunately, I’m not.”  Heyes looked toward Curry.  “How about we head over to Atlantic City and see if we can find word on Tommy’s pa?”

Kid Curry smiled.  “That sounds like a good plan.”

“Would that be okay if I left and went looking for your pa?” Heyes asked.

Tommy nodded, again.

Heyes pulled out a bandana from his pocket and wiped the boy’s tears before standing and walking him to his mother.

“You don’t have to…”

“Actually, we were thinking of heading up that way.  What name do we ask about?”

“Thomas Harding.  I’m Amy and this is Tommy.”

“Well, Mrs. Harding, we’ll go up there and see if we can find out what happened to Mr. Harding.  We’ll send you a telegraph if we hear something.”

“Are you sure?”

Heyes nodded.  “I’m sure.”

“Thank you, Mr…”

“Joshua Smith, ma’am, and that’s my partner, Thaddeus.”

Kid Curry tipped his hat.

“You be a good boy for your ma, Tommy.”  Heyes ruffled the boy’s dark hair that was a little too long.

“I will,” Tommy sniffed.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry rode out of Pine City in silence.  Towards evening, they camped by a creek in a grove of trees.

“Heyes, are we really goin’ to Atlantic City?” the Kid asked as they leaned against their saddles and sipped coffee.

“I don’t know why not.  The poker is good there.”

“Whaddya you think happened to Mr. Harding?”

“I don’t know.  Possibly a cave in?”

“Yeah and I guess he could've been killed defendin’ his claim.”

“That’s a possibility, too.”  Heyes took a sip.  “Or embarrassed to come back broke?”

“That’d be a shame with a beautiful wife and son.”

“It sure would.”

The partners were quiet for a few minutes.

“Heyes, I’m proud of how you handled Tommy.”  Curry elbowed his partner in the ribs.  “You’d make a good dad someday.”

“Me?!”  Heyes shook his head.  “I can’t imagine settling down and having a family.  Think the wanderlust would take hold of me.  I’d have to see what’s over the next hill.  Now you…”

Kid Curry sadly shook his head.  “No, I don’t think I could settle down either.”

“Why?  You’re good with kids and would make a fine father.”

“No.  Even with amnesty, I still have the reputation as the fastest gun in the west.  There will always be someone out there who wants to prove they’re faster and someday one of them might be.  I couldn’t do that to a family.”

“I didn’t think about that.”

“Well, I have.  It’s the sad truth.”  The Kid pulled out a flask of whiskey and poured some in his and Heyes’ cup.  “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll follow you to see what’s over that next hill.”

Heyes smiled.  “Now that’s a plan!”

Nebraska Wildfire, Nightwalker and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 pm

June 2021 Challenge: "Who's Yer Pa?"

With all of its occupants elsewhere, the Devil's Hole hideout was devoid of any normal noise and activity. All of a sudden, that unusual peace and quiet was shattered by the thundering of hoofbeats when the gang rode in whooping and hollering, led by their leaders, Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.

Their excitement continued as the men dismounted. They clapped each other on the back amid laughter and congratulatory remarks about how well the train robbery job they had just pulled off had gone. Truth be told, it was completed without even one little hitch.

Heyes grinned as he looked around at the group. “You know the drill; take care of your horse first, then wash up before we head on into Redemption. It's Friday night and I'm sure by now that word has gotten out about that payroll train getting robbed so they'll be expecting us. Miss Pearl will have the ladies ready for dancing and the poker tables will be waiting for players. Me and Kid will go divvy up the money, so come see us when you're ready to head out.” He grabbed a large bag and tossed it to his partner, then grabbed a second one for himself.

The two men entered the cabin and put the bags on the table in the center of the room.

Curry tossed his hat beside the bags and sat down. “Couldn't ask for a job to go any better'n that one did.”

“It was a smooth operation, wasn't it?” Heyes' grin was smug as he took his seat across from his partner.

“Not sayin' anything else,” the Kid huffed and rolled his eyes. “Your head is already too big for your own good!”

“I'm surprised at you, Kid. I thought you backed me up on the plan?”

“I did; jus' not gonna go around crowin' 'bout it.”

Heyes gave Curry the look, then grinned. “To the victor go the spoils, and that includes bragging rights. C'mon, let's get this money sorted out before the gang starts interrupting us.”

Each man opened a bag, then began to sort the bills into piles. It didn't take them long and, once the task was done, it was Heyes' and Curry's turn to get cleaned up for a night of hoorahing the town.

Most of the gang were gathered on the porch and eagerly accepted their share of the money before they mounted up.

Before Wheat put his foot into the stirrup, he took a couple deep whiffs and wrinkled his nose. “Alright, which one of ya is wearin' perfume?” His eyes narrowed as he fixed each outlaw with a glare.

Muttering, the men's eyes shifted from one to another. They all shrugged, then shook their heads in denial.

Wheat looked around. “Where's Kyle?”

“Right over here. I'm a-fixin' my stirrup.”

Wheat strode over to the man all but hidden by his mount. He took a deep sniff. “Pee-yew, Kyle – what'd ya do – take a bath in the stuff?” He leaned in closer to look the outlaw in the face. “You brushed your teeth, too?”

Kyle just grinned happily at Wheat and nodded. “The ladies like the smell. It's called lemon ver-been-ya. An' yep, I spit out my chaw an' brushed my teeth, too. They told me they like kissin' a fresh-smellin' mouth that don't taste like tobackky.” He hopped up into the saddle and found that everyone was staring at him, their mouths agape. “Jus' wait; you'll see who's got the girls tonight. I'm gonna stay in the lead so I don't get all covered with dust.”

Heyes shook his head and grinned as he watched Kyle ride away. “Still waters run deep, eh, Kid?”

“Something's pretty deep around here, Heyes. Not sure it's water. C'mon, boys, let's get to town!”

The gang took off with more whooping and hollering. True to his word, Kyle did indeed stay in the lead all the way into town.

*~*~*~*~*

The town of Redemption was the watering hole of choice by the Devil's Hole Gang when they could get there. No sheriff, it boasted of not one, but three saloons, each with plenty of poker games, games of chance, dancehall girls and the soiled doves who offered another kind of entertainment for the men guests upstairs. The town welcomed the gang members with open arms and encouraged the men to spend money in their establishments. It was a win-win situation for all.

The Devil's Hole Gang hadn't been to Redemption for almost a year. Their exploits had kept them away and the townspeople were especially happy to see them ride into town. Leaving their mounts at the livery, the men disappeared into the largest of the saloons to watch the dancehall girls while they gambled and drank the night away.

As the first dance number began, Kyle Murtry leaned against the bar, watching all the activities with a huge grin on his face. He glanced around the crowded saloon, his eyes searching for, but not finding, a certain young woman. His smile faded and the room seemed to dim. He turned around to face the bar. Head down, he waited until the barkeep came his way.

“Howdy, Kyle.”

“Hiya, Joe,” he answered glumly.

“What'll it be? Let me get you a beer.”  He took a closer look at one of his favorite customers. “Hey, is something wrong? Why aren't you out there celebratin' with the rest of the guys?”

Kyle shook his head. “Don't feel much like celebratin'.”

Joe leaned in and spoke quietly to Kyle. “I betcha I know something that'll cheer you up.” He winked. “Let me make that someone.”

Kyle raised his head; his expression one of hope. “Ya know where Maizie is, Joe?”

The barkeep nodded. “Sure do. She left a message for you; asked me to tell you to go to the yellow house at the end of the lane. The one with the white fence around it.”

Kyle's eyes lit up. “She finally got enough saved up to get her a house?”

“With your help, Kyle.” Joe grinned. “She was so happy and proud the day she told me it was all hers.” The barkeep pretended to be busy wiping down the bar. “Only she didn't say the house was all hers – she said it belonged to both you and her.”

Kyle ducked his head and gave a desultory shrug of his shoulders. “Didn't have anything else to spend the money on.”

“You're a good man, Kyle Murtry. Oh, almost forgot. Maizie's got a surprise waiting for you.”

“A surprise?” Kyle perked up. “For me? Guess I'd better get goin', then. See ya later, Joe.”

“Oh, I'm sure I'll be seeing you around real soon, Kyle.”  Joe grinned. “Give Maizie a hug for me and tell her I said hello.”

Kyle pivoted about and gave the barkeep a quizzical look. “Can't ya tell her yourself when she comes in to work?”

Joe's grin broadened. “Nope; she don't work here anymore.”

Kyle's brow furrowed. “She don't? Why not?”

“Said she's all done dancing with strangers. She only wants to dance with one man.” Joe winked at his customer again. “And she's never done anything else with another man, either, Kyle. She says she belongs to you.”

“Whoowhee!” Kyle shouted, then turned and fairly jigged his way down the street until he came to the yellow house with the white picket fence. He stood for a moment just looking at it with a silly grin. Then, he pushed the gate open and walked up to the door. He removed his hat and knocked.

When the door opened, a vision of loveliness stood in the doorway, bathed in the light from within.

“You look like an angel...” Unaware that he'd said the words aloud, Kyle wrapped his arms around the sandy-haired woman.

“Oh, Kyle – I'm not an angel; it's just me, Maizie!”

The pair kissed. It was a kiss they had both waited a long time to share.

Snuggled in her man's arms, Maizie giggled. “Kyle, maybe we'd better go inside before we become the talk of the town!”

His arm still wrapped around her, Kyle escorted her inside and pushed the door shut with his foot. He looked around.  “This is a real purty place ya got, Maizie; looks real nice.”

“It's our place, Kyle; yours and mine. I couldn't have got it on the money I earned dancing. Why, if it weren't for you giving me all that money from the jobs you did, I'd still be sharing that old, broken- down shack with the other dancehall girls.”

“Well then, I think we've got ourselves a real nice home. Ya know, I ain't never had a real home, 'cept for the Hole,” Kyle said quietly.

“Not even when you were with your family when you were a boy?”

Kyle shook his head. “No, my pa got himself killed when I was three, so I don't remember much 'bout him. My ma tried real hard, but she was alone an' had three boys to raise. Then the fever came an' it took all of 'em – my ma an' my two older brothers.”

Maizie cupped Kyle's face in her hands her expression one of deep sympathy. “Poor Kyle; you were left all alone. How old were you?”

Kyle took her by the hand and led her over to the couch, where they sat side-by-side, still holding hands.

“I was twelve by then. We didn't own anything; nothin' worth much. I kinda fended for myself after that. I'd earn money doing odd jobs, cleanin' the livery, sometimes folks would feed me 'stead of payin' me. Sometimes they'd let me sleep in the barn.”

Maizie's expression was filled with distress, her eyes wet with unshed tears.

“Hey, don'tcha cry; I survived. I'm here now an' we're together; that's all that matters.”

Maizie leaned against him, her head on his shoulder. “I just can't help but think of you out there, just a young boy...”

Hoping to take her mind off sad things, Kyle changed the subject. “Hey, I forgot to tell ya that I got a good share of the money this time, so we don't havta worry 'bout things for awhile. Oh, an' Joe said ya had a surprise for me. I like surprises,” he added with a boyish grin.

Maizie pulled away suddenly and looked at Kyle. “I'm glad you like surprises; this is a really big one...”

She was interrupted by the sound of wailing.

Kyle's head whipped around. He listened. “Is that a–”

“Yes. Come with me; there's someone I want you to meet.”

Half curious, half in shock, Kyle let Maizie lead him into the other room. There, laying in a cradle, was indeed a baby, rubbing its eyes with its fists, kicking its feet, demanding attention. He stood still, staring at it in awe.

Maizie tugged on his hand, pulling him forward. “Don't be afraid; it's only a baby. Kyle, I'd like you to meet your son, Christopher.” She bent down and picked up the infant. “Christopher, this is your pa.” She rocked the boy gently in her arms for a few moments, then turned to Kyle. “Hold out your arms.”

Kyle stepped back, put his hands behind him and shook his head. “Uh uh – I'd better not, I ain't never held a baby! I'd probably drop him an' crack him open or somethin'!”

“Kyle, you're his pa. You are not gonna drop him, I promise. Put your arms out and I'll help you hold your son.”

Kyle gulped, then slowly brought his arms forward and squeezed his eyes shut as Maizie placed the baby into the crook of his arm, then tucked his other hand around the infant.

“Open your eyes, Kyle.”

First one eyelid, then the other, slowly raised to reveal Kyle's eyes as he gazed down into the smaller ones, similar to the color as his own. He glanced up and grinned at Maizie. “He's got the same color hair as me, too.” He looked back down and said softly, “Hey there little fella, I'm your Pa.”

“You're doing just fine.”

“How old is he?”

“Christopher just celebrated being three months old.”

“Already? I missed seein' him when he was little.”

“He's still little, silly. And what counts is that you're around now.”

Kyle's brow furrowed as he frowned.

“What's wrong?”

“Nothin', I jus' remembered that I was s'posed to tell Heyes somethin' important. Would it be okay if I left long enough to go tell him, then I could come back an' we could talk things over?” He held his
arms out for her to take the boy.

“Of course. Me and Christopher will be waiting right here for you.”

“I love ya an' wanna do right by ya, Maizie. I was already gonna ask ya if ya'd marry me, an' now, with the baby here, well, I think we should get married; don'tcha think we should?”

“Oh, yes! I love you, too, Kyle, and I would love to marry you!” She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tight.

Kyle's grin went from ear-to-ear. “Well, now that that's settled, I'd best be gettin' that message to Heyes before I'm in trouble!” He kissed Maizie, gave Christopher a kiss on his cheek, then left the house.

Full of joy and happiness, Kyle barely noticed his surroundings and felt as if he floated on air as he made his way back to the saloon. Pushing through the batwings, he glanced around, searching for Heyes. He found the leader sitting in the same spot he'd been when Kyle left to go find Maizie. He looked over his shoulder and, sure enough, the Kid was propped up near the bar, watching Heyes' back. Wheat and most of the other gang members were scattered near the stage watching the dancehall girls.

“No two ways 'bout it, I'm jus' gonna havta wait'll Heyes takes a break. Sure don't wanna get my head blowed off, or have the Kid flatten me iffen I was to bother Heyes while he's playin' poker,” Kyle mused. He took another glance at Curry and took a deep breath. “Well, here goes nothin',” he muttered under his breath and began a slow walk towards the Kid. He sidled up close to the man and asked quietly, “Things goin' okay, Kid?”

Without taking his eyes off his partner, Curry answered just as quietly, “Lady Luck's favorin' Heyes tonight. He's already doubled what he started with.”

Kyle nodded vigorously. “That's good; real good.” He swallowed, then added, “Think ya can get me a few minutes in private with Heyes when he takes a break?”

Those words, coming from Kyle, broke Curry's concentration briefly, as he turned to glare at the gang member in surprise.

Kyle gulped, but met the Kid's look of censorship without flinching.

Curry turned back to the game. “It's that important?”

Kyle nodded. “Sure is.”

There was a full minute of silence before the Kid answered. “Can you get it done in five minutes?”

“Yep.”

“Okay, then. You best be ready when I tell you. They'll be takin' a break real soon, so stay close.”

“I'll wait at the other end of the bar. I can talk to Joe an' keep an eye on the game. You jus' let me know.”

Curry nodded and Kyle walked away, breathing a sigh of relief.

*~*~*~*~*

True to his word, Kyle watched for the Kid's signal and made a beeline straight to their leader.

“Hiya, Kyle,” Heyes greeted him, stretching. “Kid says you need a word with me?”

“Can we step outside, Heyes? It's pretty important – an' private.”

Arching a brow in surprise, Heyes nodded and led the way through the batwings. He took a deep breath of night air and turned to Kyle with a smile. “So, what's got you all worked up so much that you broke the Kid's rule and bothered him while he was watching me? Must be mighty important?”

Although Kyle gulped, he bravely forged on. “It is. Ya see, there's this woman–”

“You mean Maizie?”

“Ya know 'bout Maizie?” Kyle whispered. His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in surprise.

“Yep; it's my business, as leader, to know.” Heyes grinned.

Kyle pondered Heyes' words a moment. “Well, do you, as leader, know that she had a baby?”

Kyle's words wiped the grin from Heyes' face in an instant.  His poker face was useless, too. “No, I, uh, well, I didn't know that.”

“His name is Christopher an' he's my son.”

“You know that for sure, Kyle? I mean–”

“I know what ya mean, Heyes, an' you're wrong! Joe says that Maizie's only been with me. She left the dancehall an' we've got our own house. Besides, the boy looks an awful lot like me. You'd say so, too, iffen ya took a look at him.”

Their own house? Heyes tucked those words away to think about later. He bit back a grin at the thought of another Kyle in the world, even if in miniature form. “So, was there anything else you needed to talk to me about besides letting me know about the boy?”

“Well, I gave it a whole lotta thought, an' I jus' wanted to let ya know that I'm gonna marry Maizie an' help her raise Chris.”

Heyes nodded thoughtfully. “That sounds–”

“I wasn't finished, Heyes,” Kyle interrupted his leader. He took a deep breath, then continued. “I'm also lettin' ya know that I'm leavin' the Devil's Hole Gang.  As of right now, I'm done with bein' an outlaw.”

*~*~*~*~*

NOTE: There IS more to this little story but, due to word count, it wouldn't fit. So, should a future challenge prompt afford me the opportunity to finish it, I'll be happy to provide y'all with the ending...

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Nightwalker and Dan Ker like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 pm

First the excuses:
I started this story on 6/29 and was still furiously typing after work on 6/30. Deadline approaching so type faster. No time for proofreading, which isn't really a big deal because I'm a really lousy proofreader so there are probably spelling and grammar mistakes. Just warning you.
Ooops, too many words. Cut, delete do a word count again.  Cut some more and let's see I really don't need those adjectives and adverbs. Atmosphere is over rated. Finally 3000 words of story on the nose, may be cut another word or two just in case. Ta da! I made it in time. Oh, I also stink at titles.

Agony of the Heart

This is a Yellowstone series story that takes place several months after Looking Back (Year Ten)

It was one of those brutally hot summer days when man and beast find it takes too much energy to accomplish anything. The sole quest centers upon resting in the coolest spot one can find. Even the plants wilt and droop in the sun. The inhabitants, the permanent and the transient tourists, of Yellowstone National Park grew listless in the mid-summer heat wave. People lazed the day away seated on the shady yellow sandstone porch of the visitor center, housing the new ice cream parlor concession or in the rocking chairs on the expansive verandas of the Yellowstone Park hotels, fanning themselves.

Standing up from weeding the flower beds she was coaxing to bloom, Kirsten Curry tucked her fine, pale, straight blond hair up one more time into a bun that was forever coming undone with a small huff of annoyance. It seemed that any hair touching her neck and face made her feel even hotter that she already was.  Her cornflower blue eyes surveyed the where abouts of her children. Hans, aged seven, and his sister Liesel, aged five were harassing a toad they had found in a nearby grove of quaking aspens that provided shade for part of the yard. Erik, aged three was patiently disassembling a small top section of the rock wall border for the flower beds that their father had painstakingly constructed and making an untidy pile in the dirt of the walkway. Nora, at eighteen months was starting to stir from her nap on the blanket laid out on the cool grass a few steps away. Kirsten sighed; it was just too uncomfortable to do work in the hottest part of the day.

“Kids, what do you say to seeing what Aunt Alicia is doing. Maybe we can persuade her to walk with us to get some ice cream. We can even visit Daddy or Uncle Heyes if they are at the Park Headquarters.”

Three blond heads perked up and pairs of eyes of varying shades of blue alighted on their mother with anticipation.

“Can we?”

“I want choc’lit, can I have choc’lit, mommy?”

“Daddy. Ice crim. Me ice crim too!” Erik dropped a small rock he was struggling with where he stood and commenced bouncing up and down in excitement, pointing to himself.

Kirsten tucked the woken toddler on her hip and gathered the blanket in her free hand and herded her three oldest up the sandstone stairs and across the porch into the Curry abode.

A short while later the Curry’s paraded around to the other side of the large building that comprised the attached homes of the Assistant Superintendent and the Chief Park Ranger of Yellowstone National Park.

Knock, knock.

Knock, knock.

“Hmm, that’s odd. I know Alicia is home,” Kirsten mumbled under her breath when there was no answer.

“You’re not doing it loud enough. Let me try,” Hans helpfully informed his mother as he stepped up to the door and pounded on it with his fist.

KNOCK, KNOCK…

“That’s enough.” The now concerned woman was peering through the window glass and thought she could detect a very faint cry of help. Kirsten put her ear to the door and listened to see if she heard it again. Erik and Leisel crowded around her skirt and copied their mother’s actions.

There it was again – a very faint help. The pale blonde tried the door knob and found it open. Opening it slowly she led the way into the darkened interior of the Heyes home.

“Alicia? Where are you?” Kirsten called out while keeping the children close to her.

“Here. I’m here.”

“Mommy, I can find Aunt Alicia for you,” suggested Hans.

Leisel amended, “No, we’ll both look. It’ll be like hide and seek.”

Both children took off into the house they knew as well as their own.

“No, wait. Come back here.”

“Me too. Me too.” Erik wriggled out of his mother’s grasp and darted to follow his older siblings.

Kirsten tightened her hold on Nora who was doing her best to let her mother know she wanted to be put down and followed her children on their game. Although, she had a growing feeling of apprehension that this was anything but a game.

They didn’t have to search far for as soon as they left the entry foyer and turned the corner, they could hear a moan of distress coming from the top of the stairway. The visitors hurried up the stairs and down the hall, peeking in every room until they reached the last.

Alicia Heyes was bent over a small step-stool, a picture of baby bunnies she had taken herself had fallen and shattered the glass on the floor. A lightly-freckled arm was clenched tightly around her seven-month pregnant abdomen. Blood stained the back of her lavender cotton dress and was puddling on the floor. Wide, frightened dark eyes of a first-time mother looked up at her maternally gifted friend.

“Help. It’s too early.”

“Hans, go down the lane to Mrs. Zimmer and tell her I need her help. She needs to send someone to find Uncle Heyes and your father to tell them to come home right away. Leisel, please help Erik down the stairs and wait in the parlor for me or your Dad. Erik, go with your sister.”

The suddenly quiet and subdued children nodded their understanding and scooted out of the room.

Kirsten set Nora in the unused crib. She bent to help her friend, putting one arm around Alicia’s middle, and kept her deepening dismay to herself as she felt the womb contracting.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Three hours later a hot sweaty chief park ranger jumped off his blowing horse, tossed the reins over the rail and took in the small gathering of somber people, whispering among themselves, on the porch of the Heyes home. He immediately recognized his second in command Greg Zimmer, Horace the woodworking craftsman who acted as Yellowstone’s lay preacher, and Gloria the wife of Heyes’ assistant among others. He took the porch stairs in two steps and rushed in through the open doorway.

“Oh Jed, you’re here. Heyes is going to need you.” Jed Curry’s wife jumped up from where she was seated on the bottom stairs of the staircase and threw her arms around her husband, burying her pale face in his chest. He patted her back in a soothing gesture and kissed the top of her head before gently moving her an arm’s length in order to see her face.

“Kirsty, what’s going on. Where’s Heyes? Did something happen to him or Alicia?”

The flood gates that Kirsten had been holding in burst and the tears began to flow in earnest. The explanation came in fits and starts amid sniffs and much wiping of her face and eyes.  “It’s too early. The baby came too early and too fast. Oh God, Jed, it’s awful…. The children and I found her in the nursey in labor and bleeding….There was so much blood – too much…Sara Zimmer sent her nephew to find you and Heyes before he fetched the midwife. Heyes was in the office but you were out chasing tourists out of the springs... Heyes is up with Alicia and the midwife now… Sara took our children home with her and will watch them as long as we need…They have a boy but…but…he’s too small, too weak to breathe…They don’t think…Alicia wanted him baptized…Horace did it. Oh, Jed.”  

Jed gathered his wife again for a quick but fierce hug. His arms dropped to his sides and he turned to make the dreaded journey up the stairs. He readily discerned that the one thing he was always waiting to hear with nervous anticipation when he was the expectant father was conspicuously missing. There was no vigorous wail of a newborn child. Following the soft mummering to the bedroom of his closest friends, he entered the room. The shades were pulled down, leaving a small opening for air to get through the open windows. The heat was oppressive and magnified the sorrow hanging heavily in the room.

Alicia was propped on pillows in bed, the white sheet drawn up to her chest. The dark eyes were closed and the equally dark lashes fanning out on tear-streaked cheeks highlighted the paleness of Alicia’s normally ruddy complexion. The detritus and soiled linens from the childbirth and cleaning up were piled in a wash-basket by the door. Hannibal Heyes had his back to the room, facing the shaded window. A well-known but hesitant tread followed by a firm squeeze of the shoulder before the hand slid to rest against Heyes’ back let him know that the one person he did not have to be strong for was there.

“Meet my son, Philip Jedediah Heyes.” Heyes turned and the tiny bundle swathed in a baby blanket that Curry recognized as one his wife was crocheting as a baby gift, but hadn’t quite finished, was proudly presented. Kid held his breath as he met his partner’s glistening eyes, dark with unfathomable agony before letting it out slowly. Curry reached out with a calloused finger and gently stroked the paper-thin skin with blue veins visible underneath, of the tiny soft cheek. The minute nostrils flared and Philip’s chest was rapidly rising and falling is a desperate struggle to breath that was destined to be lost.

The laconic partner struggled to find his voice. He whispered to the infant held so tenderly in his best friend’s arms. “Hello, Philip. Your parents love you. I wish that was enough.” Heyes’ arms shook with sudden tremors and when two hands closed over his own to steady his hold he looked up at Jedediah Curry’s face and drew the strength he needed

“Han? Where’s Philip? Can I hold him?” Alicia called from the bed where she was lying listless and spent.

Her husband slowly walked over to the bed and lovingly placed their son at his mother’s side nestled under an arm. Both parents watched the newborn, hoping for a miracle, a sudden sign of gathering strength but knowing there wouldn’t be one. Heyes absently swept the sweaty strands of chestnut hair from his wife’s forehead before standing up and retreating a few steps away. His mind was retreating further. Alicia glanced up, started to reach out for his hand and realized he was too far away. Her hand dropped down and she seemed to sink deeper into the pillows. Tears threatened anew but did not fall.

The midwife sidled over to Kid and spoke in hushed tones, “I need to check on the missus to make sure the bleeding is stopping, or we could lose her, too. As it is, she’ll need to be on bedrest for a while, it was close. If the baby didn’t come now, we would have lost both. We telegraphed the doctor and he’ll be coming from Gardiner tomorrow. I’m sorry but you could you take Heyes somewhere for a few moments and then he can come back.”

Once Kid suggested that they go downstairs for a few minutes, Heyes strode from the room and down the stairs without delay or comment. Kid spoke briefly with Alicia before following in his friend’s wake.

Kirsten pointed to the dining room, “He’s in there alone.”

“No, Heyes.” Curry firmly grasped the whiskey bottle out of the distraught father’s hand.

Heyes made a fast grab at the neck of the bottle but Curry’s reflexes were faster, and he missed. “I need it, Kid.”

Kid put the bottle down on the table behind him and grasped his partner by the shoulders.

“Yes, you do. Look at me Heyes. But not now, not tonight. When the time is right, I’ll be right there with you and you can drink as much as you need to. You’ll talk, and I’ll listen as long as you need me to. Tonight, though. You’re goin’ back up to your wife and son. You’re goin’ to hold them and love them while you can. You’re gonna tell Alicia you love her, and you will always will. What happened isn’t her fault. Can you do that, Heyes?”

A dark head nodded, and he turned towards the stairs.

“Do you want me to come up with you or stay down here.”

“Come, please.”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later

A loud clap of thunder shook the windows of the sturdy home and the sudden rain come pouring down. The gloom of the night matched the gloom of the interior of the Heyes home. It seemed like the entire population of Yellowstone Headquarters Village at Mammoth Springs had given their condolences for the loss of their newborn son to the stricken couple. Most attended the somber affair afterwards at the home as Alicia was confined to her bed. Heyes had wanted only a small graveside ceremony attended by a few close friends. The house was quiet now with only the Curry adults remaining. Kirsten was sleeping in the guest room, keeping an ear and eye on Alicia.

Hannibal Heyes and Jedediah Curry sat at the kitchen table with a bottle of very good whiskey between them. Black suit jackets and ties were slung over a chair and white shirts were unbuttoned and sleeves rolled up. Jed poured his partner a refill and waited patiently for the small talk, platitudes, and lies that we tell ourselves at every funeral to peter out.

Heyes studied the light from the single lamp reflecting off the glass. He sighed and still mesmerized by the shifting reflections as the liquid swirled observed, “I didn’t expect the carving of a cherub Horace did on the lid of the coffin. That was nice.”

“Yes, it was beautifully done. Heyes, tell me why you named him Phillip.”

World weary brown eyes looked up. “I wanted to continue the naming of sons after ancient generals. My father was named after Alexander the Great, me after Hannibal of Carthage, Philip is named after Alexander the Great’s father Philip II, who was a great ancient Greek warrior/ruler himself. The Jedediah is to honor you as you named your first son after me, well sorta. I did notice you used Hans instead of Hannibal, can’t say I blame you though. You didn’t shorten Patrick after your Dad to Pat. He coulda been Hans Pat or better yet Pat Hans like Pat Hand then I could teach him to be a hellava poker player as befits his name.”

Jedediah lips formed a half smile at Heyes’ attempt at humor and continued to prod the man into really talking. He searched for words for a situation where there was nothing that could be said to lessen the agony of a grieving heart and couldn’t put what he was feeling into words. “A fitting name for a warrior and even though his battle was lost, he and you fought your best.”

Heyes buried his head in his folded arms on the table. Kid tentatively softly patted the dark hair and let his hand rest of the trembling shoulder.

Hannibal in the quiet of his own home and in the presence of the only person on earth that he let see his unshielded soul, finally let his grief pour out in aching sobs.

Gaining a semblance of control, the bereft father choked out, “You know, I never wanted to be a father. Never even saw the need to marry until I met Alicia. She even told me she wasn’t the maternal type. I guess that’s true.”

Curry interrupted with slight trepidation on where his partner’s mind was going. “Now…” He wasn’t able to finish the thought.

“No, I didn’t mean it as blame. Kid, we didn’t plan to have children. We were happy being a couple. I had my work. Alicia had her photography. It was good being Uncle Heyes and Aunt Alicia. When we found out she was with child, our first reaction was a now what do we do. I mean I’m forty-one and my wife is forty.” He looked up as if he could see through the ceiling before wiping his face with the rolled-up sleeve of his shirt and looking at the man sitting next to him. He took a deep breath.

“Kid, there isn’t going to be any more children. The doctor says Alicia is too old to safely have another child after what happened. He called it placenta abruptio and told us once it’s happened there is too much risk of it happening again, especially in older mothers. I will only ever have been a father for thirteen hours and twenty-nine minutes. And I find I wanted to be a father after all, more than anything I have wanted before.” Heyes’ voice cracked, and he couldn’t go on. He reached for the glass before him and gulped the alcohol down, welcoming the burn.

“I know and despite what you have always thought you’d make a great father. You were for me.”

Heyes gave a watery smile at his life-long friend, “Now that’s a lie but thanks.”

“I can’t imagine being in your shoes. You’re a strong man to have held your son, a part of you and Alicia and have to then let go of all your hopes, dreams, and plans you have in your head for the future. To hold him, probably feeling proud, helpless, terrified, and loving him with all your heart and having to stay strong for your wife takes courage that I’m not sure I have but you did. Tonight, you don’t have to be strong. I can help. You want to talk, I’ll listen, you want to drink yourself into oblivion, I’ll pull you back. I’m here for you.”

“Always,” whispered Heyes as collapsed sideways to lean against Jed Curry’s strong shoulder. Kid scooted his chair closer and his arms came up to hug the grieving man. The dark head tucked under the blond and sobbed into Jed’s shoulder drawing strength as the tears fell, soaking into the white shirt. Neither man cared.

Notes:

Ice Cream - Quaker colonists introduced ice cream to the United States, bringing their ice cream recipes with them. Confectioners sold ice cream at their shops in New York and other cities during the colonial era. Ben Franklin, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson were known to have regularly eaten and served ice cream. Records, kept by a merchant from Catham street, New York, show George Washington spending approximately $200 on ice cream in the summer of 1790. The same records show president Thomas Jefferson having an 18-step recipe for ice cream.First Lady Dolley Madison, wife of U.S. President James Madison, served ice cream at her husband's Inaugural Ball in 1813.

Small-scale hand-cranked ice cream freezers were invented in England by Agnes Marshall and in America by Nancy Johnson in the 1840s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cream

Placenta Abruptio - is when the placenta separates early from the uterus, in other words separates before childbirth. It occurs mostly in the third trimester, commonly around 25 weeks of pregnancy. Placental abruption occurs in about 1 in 200 pregnancies. Along with placenta previa and uterine rupture it is one of the most common causes of vaginal bleeding in the later part of pregnancy. Placental abruption is the reason for about 15% of infant deaths around the time of birth. The condition was described at least as early as 1664.

Risk factors for placental abruption include disease (Hypertension), trauma, history of prior placenta abruptio, pregnancy with multiple fetuses, exposure to substances and maternal age: pregnant women who are younger than 20 or older than 35 are at greater risk.

Symptoms - In the early stages of placental abruption, there may be no symptoms. When symptoms develop, they tend to develop suddenly. Common symptoms include: sudden-onset abdominal pain, contractions that seem continuous and do not stop, vaginal bleeding, enlarged uterus (disproportionate to the gestational age of the fetus), decreased fetal movement, and decreased fetal heart rate.

Diagnosis - Placental abruption is suspected when a pregnant mother has sudden localized abdominal pain with or without bleeding. The fundus may be monitored because a rising fundus can indicate bleeding. An ultrasound may be used to rule out placenta praevia but is not diagnostic for abruption. The diagnosis is one of exclusion, meaning other possible sources of vaginal bleeding or abdominal pain have to be ruled out in order to diagnose placental abruption.

Management - Treatment depends on the amount of blood loss and the status of the fetus. For mild cases with no fetal distress or threat to the mother the treatment may be hospitalization, bedrest and monitoring. For severe life threatening hemorrhage or profound fetal distress requires immediate delivery either vaginally or by cesarean section.

Mother Complications can include:
A large loss of blood may require a blood transfusion. If the mother's blood loss cannot be controlled, an emergency hysterectomy may become necessary. The uterus may not contract properly after delivery so the mother may need medication to help her uterus contract. The mother may develop a blood clotting disorder, disseminated intravascular coagulation. A severe case of shock may affect other organs, such as the liver, kidney, and pituitary gland. Diffuse cortical necrosis in the kidney is a serious and often fatal complication. Placental abruption may cause bleeding through the uterine muscle and into the mother's abdominal cavity, a condition called Couvelaire uterus. Maternal death.

Baby Complications can include:
The baby may be born at a low birthweight Preterm delivery (prior to 37 weeks gestation). The baby may be deprived of oxygen and thus develop asphyxia. Placental abruption may also result in death of the baby, or stillbirth. The newborn infant may have learning issues at later development stages, often requiring professional pedagogical aid.

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw180726

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placental_abruption

Philip II of Macedon

As Alexander later reminded the Macedonians, Philip found them vagabond sheep herders, clothed in animal skins. When he died in 336 BC, he left them masters of the Greek world. He spent his life campaigning to expand Macedon’s borders, and created the most advanced combined arms army of antiquity. He seldom failed in any of his undertakings; and his generalship was marked by a mix of boldness tempered with caution. He never struck till the way was well prepared, and was kept informed by a network of agents and spies. He is the world’s first “modern” military leader.

He was a member of the Argead dynasty of Macedonian kings, the third son of King Amyntas III of Macedon, and father of Alexander the Great and Philip III. The rise of Macedon, its conquest and political consolidation of most of Classical Greece during the reign of Philip II was achieved in part by his reformation of the Ancient Macedonian army, establishing the Macedonian phalanx that proved critical in securing victories on the battlefield. After defeating the Greek city-states of Athens and Thebes at the Battle of Chaeronea in 338 BC, Philip II led the effort to establish a federation of Greek states known as the League of Corinth, with him as the elected hegemon and commander-in-chief of Greece for a planned invasion of the Achaemenid Empire of Persia. However, his assassination by a royal bodyguard, Pausanias of Orestis, led to the immediate succession of his son Alexander, who would go on to invade the Achaemenid Empire in his father's stead.

https://deadliestblogpage.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/25-greatest-commanders-of-the-ancient-world/

Penski, Nightwalker and Dan Ker like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2021 - Father / Pa   June 2021 - Father / Pa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

June 2021 - Father / Pa
Page 1 of 1