Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Empty
PostSubject: April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town    April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2021 10:08 am

Hello to one and all...

This month the challenge comes from one of our lovely Challenge players - ideas for the topics list are always welcome.

So, please bend your fertile and febrile imaginations around

"There's a New Sherriff in Town"April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  4090779501

And
Type
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town    April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 9:26 pm

I'm first outta the gate, again? cool Had a lot of fun writing this one. Hope you enjoy it.

There’s a New Sheriff in Town

Kid Curry stopped, again, leaned over, and threw up.

Heyes reined back his horse and waited patiently.

“Again? This has to be almost a dozen times since we left Mountain Springs!” Wheat looked back. No dust cloud coming. “Good thing there’s not a posse on our tail.”

The Kid wiped his mouth with a soiled bandana and shivered. “I’m good now.”

“No, you’re not!” Heyes removed the bandana from around his neck, opened his canteen and got it wet. “Here. Use this to wipe your face and cool off.”

“Cool off? I’m cold!”

“You’re sweating! Must have a fever.” Heyes handed him the wet cloth. “Just do it!”

Wheat hmphed.

Heyes looked behind them and confirmed no tell-tale signs of a posse. “We’re getting close to the Hole. Why don’t you boys ride on ahead of us with the money. I’ll stay behind with the Kid. Be ready to get our horses and take care of them when we get there.”

Wheat smiled as he took the bag of money from Heyes. “Sounds like a plan. See you two later. Let’s go, boys!”

Kyle hesitated. “You sure, Heyes?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. We’ll be okay.”

“I’ll see if I can shoot me a rabbit on the way back for some broth for the Kid.”

The Kid began dry heaving.

“Sounds good, Kyle.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A week later, Curry slowly ventured out of his bedroom.

“How you feeling?” Heyes took a sip of coffee while playing solitaire.

“Better.”

“Boys are complaining about wanting to go spend their money.”

The Kid sat down at the table and sighed. “Okay, we’ll go first thing in the morning.”

“Sure you’re up to it?” Heyes looked up from the cards. “You’ve barely ate anything all. About as weak as a new foal.”

Curry tried to muster the look but failed. “To be honest, I could use another day to feel fit as fiddle.”

“Or fit to stay on a horse.”

The Kid scowled.

“How about we go to Pine Butte with that fat, lazy sheriff… Fred Bassett. He’ll look the other way as long as we spend money and don’t cause no trouble.”

“If you leave and watch the boys tomorrow night, I’ll come the next day and take over so you can relax.”

“Sure an extra day is all you need?” Heyes raised a brow. “You’ve been down all week.”

“I’m sure. Is there anything to eat?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hi’ya Chuck.” Heyes handed the reins to the livery owner. “We'll be in town for a few days. Give the horses a good rub down and some oats.”

“Okay. Ahh Heyes…”

“I told the boys to put their horses in the coral. Hope you don’t mind.”

“No, no sir.”

Heyes handed several bills to the owner. “This should take care of it.”

Chuck’s eyes lit up. “It will, but I think…”

“See you in a few days.” Heyes turned and walked out of the livery, heading to the saloon.

“Howdy, Joe! Drinks all around!” Heyes put several bills on the bar counter.

“Heyes!” Joe reached down and brought out a few good bottles. “Here’s some for you and the Kid.”

“No Kid. Just me.”

The bartender poured a glass and handed it to the outlaw leader. “Let me get the rest of the boys something and then I need to talk to you.”

Heyes turned to face the room as he sipped his whiskey and watched the boys playing faro, poker, or flirting with the girls. He smiled and spun back. “I’ll have another.”

Joe poured another drink. “Heyes, I think you oughta know that Sheriff Bassett is gone.”

“Ol’ Basset’s gone? Where’d he go?”

Joe nodded to the left. “Up to Boot Hill. He up and died about a month or so ago.”

“Well, let’s have a toast to Sheriff Fred Bassett!” Heyes downed his drink. “Anyone taking over his job?”

Joe looked apologetically towards the door.

Heyes heard a click.

“There’s a new sheriff in town – Sheriff Buford T. Justice – and you’re all under arrest,” a deep, confident voice boomed from behind him.

Heyes sighed and closed his eyes.

“We can do this the easy way and you can tell your gang to put down their guns or I’ll begin shooting, starting with you, Mr. Heyes.”

Heyes felt the barrel of a gun on his back.

“In fact, let’s start with you; make you an example. Put your gun on the counter, nice and slow.”

Heyes removed his gun and placed it on the counter.

“Now tell the rest of your boys to do the same.”

Heyes cautiously turned towards the room. “Wheat… everyone…” he said in a loud voice to get their attention. “Seems there’s a new sheriff who don’t take kindly to the Devil’s Hole Gang. Put your weapons on the table in front of you.”

“And line up facing the back wall with their hands on the wall,” demanded the sheriff.

“You heard him,” the outlaw leader ordered his men.

The gang mumbled as they put their guns down and lined up.

“You can join them, Heyes.” The gun poked at his back a couple times.

Heyes gave the new sheriff a scowl before joining his gang.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The seven gang members were divided into the two cells in a one-room sheriff’s office. Sheriff Justice grinned as he placed the leader in a cell that would hold four men.

Hannibal Heyes stood clenching the jail bars with both hands. It was of small comfort that at least Wheat was in the other cell. Heyes sent his partner a mental message, “Hope you’re feeling better, Kid, and coming tomorrow as planned.”

“Heyes, where’s your partner, Kid Curry?” the sheriff demanded. “Seems we have everyone but him locked up.”

“He’s…” Kyle began to answer.

“Kyle, did he ask you?” Heyes gave him a leader look. “Curry’s gone visiting his girl.”

“Kid Curry has a girl? Where?”

“Nowhere near here.”

“I said where?” demanded Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

“Guess it wouldn’t hurt to say… He’s in Denver.”

“Denver. JR, go send a telegram to Denver’s sheriff and tell him Kid Curry’s in his town.”

“Now why’d you go and tell on the Kid like that, Heyes?” Wheat asked.

Heyes shrugged his shoulders and sat down in a corner.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I gotta go, Sheriff!”

“Use the buckets I put in both cells. Not letting any of you out for anything.” Sheriff Justice sat at his desk and twirled his gun a few times.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Justice and Deputy JR took the tray of food from the diner owner.

“Thanks for fixing this up, Matt.”

“You’re welcome, Sheriff. Let me know if you need anything else.”

“Will do.” The sheriff placed his gun on the desk. “Get rid of the gun before going near them cells, Deputy JR.”

“Yes, sir!”

“What's fer dinner; I’m starvin’!?” Kyle asked as licked his lips in anticipation.

“Beans!”

“Beans? You’re feeding this many men beans in this confining of a space with just a bucket to go in?” Heyes asked, disgusted.

“You don’t need to have any dinner, Heyes.” The sheriff smiled as he passed the bowls under the bars.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“There’s only two beds and four of us,” complained Lobo.

“Guess you’ll have to get real cozy with two in one bed or sleep on the floor.” Sheriff Buford Justice poured himself a cup of coffee.

“How about some coffee for us?” Heyes asked.

“Nope. You can have water.”

“No thanks.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes curled up in a corner of the cell with his hat pulled over his head. All around him he heard snoring, belching, and other bodily noises.

The sheriff and the deputy took turns watching the prisoners. A cot was brought into the office so they both were always there to back the other up if there was a need.

“Great… just great,” Heyes mumbled to himself.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

For breakfast the next morning, the prisoners were served more beans.

“Town has to feed prisoners and beans are cheap,” explained Sheriff Justice. “Don’t need to spend money on coffee, either. You can just have water.”

“You are gonna empty the buckets, aren’t you?” Heyes’ nose wrinkled.

“If you move the bucket to the door, JR will get it while I have you all covered.” Sheriff Justice drew his gun. “Put your gun on the desk, JR, and get the keys. Okay, all of you prisoners go to the wall away from the door. That’s right. Get the bucket and lock the door, JR.”

“Phew! They’re full!” JR grabbed the bucket and pulled it into the hallway before he locked the cell door again. “Will be nice to get rid of this smell.”

“You’re telling me!” Heyes muttered.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In the mid-afternoon, Kid Curry rode into town and took his horse to the livery.

“Howdy, Chuck! See you have the gang’s horses in the corral. Can you feed and rub down mine before lettin’ him loose?”

“Ah, Kid?”

“Yeah?”

“I think there’s something you should know.” Chuck hesitated.

“What’s that?” the Kid prodded.

“Ol’ Sheriff Bassett died.”

“Well now, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“I’m sure you will be. There’s a new sheriff and he’s by the book.”

“By the book? Don’t tell me…”

Chuck nodded. “Heyes and the boys are in jail.”

Curry sighed. “When?”

“Shortly after they got in the saloon.”

“You didn’t think to warn them?”

“I tried, Kid. I really did, but Heyes wasn’t listenin’.” Chuck spit some chaw. “Whatcha gonna do?”

“Come up with a plan.” Curry sat on a bale of hay; his head resting in his hands. A few minutes later, the Kid looked up. “You have a fast horse? A really fast horse?”

“I got that black stallion in the back. Bandit’s still wild and not fully broken in.”

“Broken in enough that I could ride him?”

“Iff’n you hung on real tight. Once you get him goin’, it won’t be easy to slow him down until he’s tuckered out.”

“How’d you like to earn some money, Chuck? Lots of money?”

The livery owner’s face lit up. “Why sure?”

“I’m buyin’ the stallion and gear for him. I need you to saddle up all the gang’s horses, including mine, and keep them outta sight. Once the sheriff and posse take off after me, take the horses over to the jail.”

“You got it, Kid!”

Curry watched as the livery owner captured the spirited stallion. “I’m gonna break my neck ridin’ him! You better appreciate this, Heyes.”

Once Bandit was caught and calming down, Curry paid Chuck. “How long before you have all the horses ready?”

“It’ll take me about an hour.”

The Kid smiled. “Just enough time to visit Sally.”

“I'd say that's a good choice,” Chuck grinned. “Could be the last time you visit her or any gal for a while after riding Bandit.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Curry walked the alleys to the back door of the saloon. “Hey Joe, I heard the gang’s in jail.”

“Yep.”

“Any of them hurt?”

“Nope.”

“Can you be quiet for $50?”

“Sure can.”

“Is Sally upstairs and available?”

Joe grinned. “She sure is.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Almost an hour later, Kid Curry buckled his gun belt and tied the thong around his leg. “Thanks for the time, Sally.”

Sally laid in bed with the sheet covering her body as she watched the man get dressed. “Anytime, Kid!”

“Can you do one more thing for me?”

“What’s that?” She draped the sheet around herself and stood, wrapping a hand around Curry’s neck and pulling him down for a kiss.

“Can you go out on the upper porch and holler goodbye to me by name when you see me ridin’ nearby on a black horse?”

“Won’t that get the sheriff’s attention?”

“I’m hopin’ it will, darlin’. Will you do that for me?”

“Maybe for another kiss.”

Kid Curry bent down and gave Sally a passionate kiss.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Curry made his way from the saloon's back door to the livery.

“Hey Chuck, are you about ready?”

“Yep. I got young Sam helpin’ me take the horses over and he won’t say nothin’.”

“Good. And Bandit?”

Chuck chuckled. “He’s ready to run and take you for the ride of your life. Good luck, Kid – you're gonna need it! Be sure to hang on tight!”

“I will. Thanks for everything – appreciate it!”

“You and Heyes take care. Better stay outta Pine Butte for a while.”

“We will!” Curry took Bandit’s reins and walked the stallion near the saloon. He looked up and nodded to Sally.

“Goodbye, Kid Curry! Come back soon!” Sally hollered as she blew him a kiss.

The Kid aimed Bandit away from the path to the Hole, mounted him, and hung on for dear life as the stallion raced past the sheriff’s office. “Yeehaw!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

When Sally called out her goodbye to Kid Curry, Sheriff Buford T. Justice spewed out the swallow of coffee he just took. He hurried to the front door to see the fleeing man passing by and pulled out his gun. He shot at the outlaw a few times and cursed. “Come on, Deputy! Ring the bell! We need a posse to go after him!”

“Sure thing, Sheriff!” JR hurried out the door and rang the town bell to get the attention of the citizens.

“Denver!” Sheriff Justice scowled at Heyes, who shrugged. He grabbed the keys to the cells and his hat before heading to the livery.

“I sure hope the Kid knows what he’s doing.” Heyes stood by the cell trying to look out the front window.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes waited a few minutes once they heard the posse leave town before he bent down and retrieved the pick in his boot. He worked the lock a back and forth a few times, then smiled as he opened the door. “Stay inside!” he warned the three released outlaws.

Next, he worked on the second cell door and had it opened quicker. He hurried to the safe in the corner, sat down, and began playing with the tumblers. “Thank goodness it’s an old model,” he said as he pushed the lever down and opened the safe. He handed the guns to Wheat, who dispersed them to the right owner.

Heyes stood and peeked out the front door. He grinned when he saw their horses saddled and being led down the street towards the jail. Opening the door wide, he beckoned his gang to follow. “Whoo hoo!”

The Devil’s Hole Gang quickly mounted their horses.

“Thanks, Chuck!” Heyes shouted.

“Any time!” The livery owner waved his hat at them as the gang headed back to the Hole.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Around noon the next day, Heyes yawned and stretched as he walked towards Curry's room and knocked. “Kid?” Receiving no answer, he pushed the door open. The room, as well as the bed, was empty. Frowning, he walked out onto the porch. “Anybody seen the Kid?”

Shaking heads and a chorus of no's answered him.

Heyes' brow furrowed even further. “He should've been here by now. As fast as that horse was, there's no way Sheriff Justice caught up to him. Maybe something went wrong?”

“As fast as that stallion was, the Kid's probably really in Denver by now!” Wheat guffawed.

Before Heyes could answer, two shots were heard.

“Bet that's him ridin' in now,” Kyle grinned.

It wasn't long before Bandit slowly made his way to the group of men gathered around the porch. Covered in sweat and a thick coat of dust, both horse and rider looked like they'd been rode hard and put away wet. One hand on the pommel, the other gripping the stallion's mane, Curry was laying flat on the horse's neck. Eyes closed, his hair matted to his head, the Kid looked like death warmed over.

Heyes walked up to the pair. “You okay, Kid?”

Eyes still closed, Curry mumbled, “No.”

“You gonna stay up there or get down? You both look like you could use a bath and some food.”

“Too tired for a bath or food. Just wanna sleep.”

Heyes grinned. “That we can fix. Wheat, help me get the Kid into his bed. Kyle, have Hank to help you rub down the stallion and get him some feed. Make sure you don’t put him in the corral with the other horses.”

“Heyes...” the Kid muttered as he slid out of the saddle into arms ready to catch him.

“Yeah?”

“We ain't ever gonna go back to Pine Butte, are we?”

“Not as long as Buford T. Justice's the sheriff.”

“Good.” Curry yawned as he was carried off.

Nebraska Wildfire and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town    April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Hello, Well, I wanted to write something this month and I tried two different ideas that petered out or I couldn't get right. So last weekend I just went with a tried and true plot. Here's my take on "There's a New Sheriff in Town. April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  4090779501

P.S. It is in two parts. I have part two outlined and started but I haven't finished it yet. If next months prompt fits in, I'll post it then, if not, I'll post pat Two in the overspill area.

There’s a New Sheriff in Town

Part One

The hot dry wind blew hard across the high desert scrub of Grants, New Mexico. The bright sunshine beating down from the brilliant blue sky highlighted every bit of floating dirt and dust, whipping off the dry earth that was mounded next to a six-foot hole in the sunbaked land. A small knot of mourners, dressed in black, strained to hear the preacher over the howling gusts during the solemn ceremony. The middle-aged widow with two sullen young teens broke into quiet sobs as she placed a dented tin sheriff’s star on top of the casket before it was slowly lowered into its final resting place.

Six months later

A young widow, heavy with child, lifted the black netting covering her face in order to dab delicately at the tears silently running down her cheeks. Her knees started to tremble, she started to sway, leaning further and further towards the open gravesite. The older couple, one standing on each side of her, put out their hands for support as the widow let a handful of dry desert sand sift slowly through her shaking fingers. The preacher came over to console the inconsolable. He handed the widow the shiny sheriff’s star and the fairly new leather gun belt that was placed on the casket for the graveside ceremony as a remembrance of a promising life taken far too soon.

Four months later

A passing winter hailstorm pelted the hunched dark clad figures hurriedly scrambling for their horses and buggies. An older woman was sobbing into her grown son’s shoulder as he guided her to the nearby carriage and away from the small cemetery. The woman pulled away when they reached the black carriage and dropped a large sheriff’s badge in the dirt before she was helped in. “I told him not to come out of retirement. Why, oh why did he do it? Grants wasn’t his responsibility anymore. I curse his sense of duty.” The son settled her in the carriage, wrapped a blanket around her head and shoulders for shelter from the passing storm before bending down to retrieve the symbol of his late father’s calling in life, which he slipped into a pocket. His mother would want the possession when the grief and shock lessened in time.

One month later

A meeting of Grants’ Town Council was taking place in the saloon. The municipal building presently consisted of four walls, a rough floor, and the framework for the roof. Angus Grant, the elder Grant brother and mayor, called the meeting to order. There was only one item on the agenda. Grants, once again, needed a new sheriff in town.

“I was worried about the Indians when we got the contract from The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad to build this section of track but little did I know that an outlaw gang would be far more troublesome,” remarked John Grant.

The youngest Grant brother Lewis, reminded the group, “We need to be worried about the Navajos too, after all the Alimitos Gang pay them to hole up on their land so we can’t get to them.”

“We’ve got to find a sheriff that can take care of them once and for all, either capture them or shoot them instead of being shot themselves. I’m tired of having the payroll for the Zuni mountain loggers stolen. Another payroll is coming in three weeks and this one has got to get to the men.” George Hanosh, the man in charge of the area’s logging industry declared.

John Grant banged his fist on the poker table, causing the half full whiskey glasses to rattle and shake but not spilling a drop. He glanced at his glass and thought that there was an advantage to having meetings in the saloon. His mind quickly returned to the business at hand, “And don’t forget the railroad payroll. It’s costing a fortune to hire all those extra armed guards when the payroll is being delivered and half the time, they just hand the money over. I’ve hired and fired more guards in the past year than railroad workers.”

“I’m losing customers, people are keeping their money at home. For all I know they could be stuffing their mattresses and I can’t say I blame them. We’ve got to do something about that gang.” Jacob Van Houten, Grants’ banker, complained.

Pedro Sanchez let loose a stream of angry Spanish. It took a minute or two for him to realize the others around the table were staring blankly at him before he switched to English. “Si, Si, Yes, we need new brave sheriff. They don’t steal my cash but they steal supplies from mi tienda, you know my store, which cost me mucho dinero. But no one around here will take the sheriff job anymore.”

“I can wire the nearest territorial marshal in Albuquerque, again, and demand they provide us with law enforcement services, or I’ll have the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad sue them for dereliction of duty or something,” declared Angus Grant forcefully. His naturally ruddy complexion turned even ruddier as he picked up his whiskey glass and downed its remaining amber contents in one gulp to punctuate his resolve.

Two weeks later

“How far is it to Albuquerque, Heyes?”

“About eighty miles straight east.”

“We only have seven dollars and ninety-two cents between us, right?”

“Yep.”

“Sheesh, I’m tired of jackrabbit and beans. We’re way off where we wanted to be.”

“Blame the persistent posse, Kid, not me.”

“I’m not blamin’ you. I kinda liked the idea of going to Albuquerque and resting up before we crossed Sandia crest to Santa Fe then over to Taos and up into the San Juans in Southern Colorado. That area of the country is nice in the spring into summer.”

“We can still do that. But we’ll have to find work soon or some poker games that are more than penny ante stakes.”

Kid Curry pointed to the collection of buildings in the distance, many of which seemed under construction. “Isn’t the railroad pushing through this area? Maybe we can find work in Grants.”

Heyes held up his hands, the reins trailing down limply, as the horses plodded along the dry, dusty trail. “I don’t know Kid, I kinda like my hands the way they are. I’m not looking forward to sore thumbs and building is hard on the back. And while I was real keen on robbing the railroads, I’m not so keen on doin’ honest work for them.”

Kid chuckled as he felt the same way. But still, the lure of real food, a real bed, and something to do at night but stare at a small fire was strong. “Come on, Heyes, let’s see what’s available in Grants. If nothin’ else, you can take our stake and build on it ‘cause railroad workers aren’t usually great gamblers.” He kicked his large dark bay gelding into a trot. Heyes followed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Eleven dollars richer, not bad for the lunch low stakes game Heyes had joined, the partners were sitting enjoying a beer with a local rancher. They had checked out the town and found it acceptable for a short stay while they replenished their funds. The absence of a sheriff clinched the decision.

“You boys say you’re looking for work. Did you ever work with cattle before?” Bill Ventura asked even though they looked like competent cowboys, their guns were tied down and it was prudent to at least ask.

“Only when we couldn’t avoid it,” the fair-haired one answered.

“Are you avoiding it now?”

The dark one glanced over to his friend, who shrugged. “What did you have in mind?”

“I have a few teams out riding the range to round up all the new calves, castrate the males and brand them before turning them loose again. I need two more men for the last team, It’s only about two to three weeks work, a month tops. I pay ten dollars a week each. What do you say?”

Heyes could tolerate working with cattle for two weeks for the fair pay Ventura was offering. “I’d say you found yourself a couple of men, Mr. Ventura.”

“Great. Call me Bill. If your ready we can leave after our beers are finished, Joshua and Thaddeus. It’s a couple of hours ride to the Flying V.”

The three men drank up, pushed back from the table and walked out of the saloon to their horses.

Pedro Sanchez was standing in the doorway to his busy mercantile, discussing the arrangements for the pick-up of the large order that George Hanosh placed for the nearby logging camp by the Zuni Mesa. Hanosh idly watched the activity in the street as he waited for Pedro to decide when he should send his people to pick up the order. The trio leaving the saloon caught his eye. When the blond swung up on his horse and let his hand drop to the holster tied tightly to his right thigh for a moment before starting after Bill Ventura and the other man, Hanosh’s eyes grew wide in alarm and recognition. The remembered image of a train flashed through his mind. His heart started to race but then he had an idea, a really good idea on how to solve their sheriff problem. He needed to call for an emergency meeting of the Grants Town Council, tonight, if possible.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Flying V’s foreman left mid-morning on an errand for his boss. It was an unusual order but Bill Ventura paid fair wages and was a fair man so he had earned the foreman’s loyalty and obedience even if the errand wasn’t explained. The foreman finally arrived at the line shack and temporary camp at the farthest reaches of the Flying V Ranch, bordering the Navajo Reservation Lands. The men were busy constructing the corral, pens, and chute needed for their assignment. After securing his horse to the remuda line and depositing his things in the line shack he headed over to the duo unloading fence posts from one of the wagons.

“Jones, I need to talk to you.”

Kid turned from pulling fence posts off the wagon, and walked over to the foreman he had met briefly the previous night before leaving in the early morning with the team he and Heyes were assigned to.

“Yeah, what can I do for you?’

“Orders from the big boss; I’m gonna have to let you go. I’m taking your place. Pack up your things and I’ll tell you the fastest way to get back to Grants. Mr. Ventura is sure you’ll be able to find work in town. He’s paying you for the week.” He fished in his pocket, drew out a ten-dollar bill and held it out for Jones to take.

“I didn’t even work a whole day, much less a week. Can you tell me why I’m being let go?” Curry glanced around in confusion before taking the ten dollars that the foreman kept pushing at him.

“No, sorry, he didn’t tell me why but he was real specific that Smith was staying and you were leaving. Now the show’s over folks, everyone back to work.”

Kid walked over to Heyes, who had stopped work to watch. “What do you make of that?”

“Kid, I’ll quit, we have over twenty dollars, that should see us to Albuquerque.”

“Nah, stay. I’ll see what I can find in town and we’ll meet back up in Grants when you’re done. I know where to find you if I need to.”

Hannibal Heyes watched his trouble prone partner ride away with a nagging suspicion that all was not well.

~~~~~~~~~~
Angus Grant and George Hanosh were killing time in the saloon, playing gin rummy and sipping at beers in the late afternoon. A boy about ten came bursting through the bat wing doors, startling the few patrons, who all looked towards the door. The boy rushed over to the two town council members and stood, hopping from one foot to the other with nervous energy.

“Mr. Grant, Mr. Hanosh, there’s a blond man riding into town on a big dark horse. He’s wearing a gun and it’s tied down, just like you told me to watch out for.”

Hanosh put down his cards and went to look out the door. He turned to Grant and nodded yes. Grant flipped the boy a quarter as he rose from the table and both men walked out of the saloon. They watched the blond head towards the livery and intended to be waiting when he exited the stables.

“Hello, I’m the Town Mayor, Angus Grant and my friend here is George Hanosh, he runs the logging operations outside of town on the mesa and is also on the Town Council. Say, weren’t you here yesterday with Bill Ventura from the Flying V?”

Curry stopped as the two important looking men blocked his way. His sense of caution shot way up.

“Yeah, he decided he only needed one temporary hand, so my friend stayed. I came back to look for other work for a few weeks. Look, is there somethin’ you want because otherwise I’ve got to get a room and then dinner.”

Grant put his beefy arm around Kid’s shoulders and starting steering him towards the center of town. “Well, isn’t that a coincidence…” Kid thought to himself, some coincidence, you were waiting for me. “…You aren’t married, are you?”

Curry shook his head no.

“Can you hit anything with that Colt?”

“Well, I usually hit what I aim at.” Kid was wondering what they were getting at when they stopped in front of the empty Sheriff’s office and Jail. He forced the rising panic down as he looked around and noticed the storekeeper watching intently but no men with guns were coming at him.

“Good, good, you’re hired. Pay is thirty dollars a month, we shouldn’t need you much longer than that. And we’ll throw in a room at the hotel, the livery fees, and two meals a day at the café or hotel. You can start now.” Angus Grant grabbed his new employee’s hand and started pumping it vigorously while he pressed a hotel key and a shiny new sheriff’s badge into the palm he was shaking.

Curry’s blue eyes widened in shock. “Wait a minute, are you hirin’ me to be the sheriff? You don’t know anythin’ about me.”

“We know you play honest poker. Bill Ventura hired you so that’s a good recommendation.”

“He fired me, too”

“No matter, not your fault. We also know you aren’t married, have a fancy gun that you know how to use and are available for a few weeks until our new sheriff arrives. That’s enough, Sheriff Jones.”

“What happened to the last Sheriff?”

George rushed to explain, “Sheriff DeMais was old, he passed away from a heart attach right in the middle of Main Street six weeks ago.”

“Oh, before I forget, you can get the keys for the jail from Pedro, over at the mercantile. Anything else you need to know just ask Pedro or Ralph at the saloon. One of us will check in with you in a day or so to make sure everything is okay. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have to be getting home.” Angus started to turn away and pulled on George’s sleeve for him to follow.

Kid Curry stood in front of his new place of employment, shuddered at the thought when he looked through the glass on the door, and watched the two Town Council members walking away. His eyes drifted across the street to Pedro, who was sweeping the boardwalk in front of his store, with a wide satisfied smile on his face. Something was going on and Curry hated the thought that he was just railroaded into the job. His first order of business was to find out why.

George and Angus walked quickly down the boardwalk. Angus turned to George with a suppressed laugh that came out as a snort. “A heart attack?”

“Yeah, that’s what he died of. The doc said old Sheriff DeMais had a heart attach staring at all those six guns the Altimitos Gang were pointing at him. There wasn’t a bullet hole in him.”

The two town council members entered the bank to spread the good news to the bank owner and fellow town council member that there was a new sheriff in town. And as his name was really Kid Curry, The Fastest Gun in the West, he should be a match for the gang’s gunman. They hoped the rumors of him and Hannibal Heyes going straight were true, otherwise, they just might have made a bad situation worse but desperate times called for bold, desperate measures.

Notes:

I have been to Grants on my New Mexico trip. The El Morro and El Malpais National Monuments are nearby. El Morro was pretty impressive and the inscriptions in the rock were fascinating. I couldn’t help but imagine Curry and Heyes in that landscape. My husband and I also had an incredible lunch in what to my eastern seaboard suburban eyes looked like a dive. I was surprised and impressed by the food, drinks, and the friendliness of the people. Of course, all through New Mexico, one can’t get away from the ubiquitous chili – Do you want red chilis, green chilis, or both on that? My answer was always neither and I usually received a look of pity. New Mexico is famous for the Hatch Chile.

Grants began as a railroad camp in the 1880s, when three Canadian brothers – Angus A. Grant, John R. Grant, and Lewis A. Grant – were awarded a contract to build a section of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad through the region. The Grant brothers' camp was first called Grants Camp, then Grants Station, and finally Grants. The new city enveloped the existing colonial New Mexican settlement of Los Alamitos and grew along the tracks of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad.

The town prospered as a result of railroad logging in the nearby Zuni Mountains, and it served as a section point for the Atlantic and Pacific, which became part of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The Zuni Mountain Railroad short line had a roundhouse in town (near present-day Exit 81 off Interstate 40) and housed workers in a small community named Breecetown. Timber from the Zuni Mountains was shipped to Albuquerque, where a large sawmill converted the timber to wood products that were sold around the west.

The National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management operate the El Malpais Visitor Center at Exit 85 off Interstate 40 in Grants. The visitor center highlights the many features of El Malpais National Monument and El Malpais National Conservation Area.

There is a mining museum in town, as well as the Western New Mexico Aviation Heritage Museum at the Grants-Milan Municipal Airport.
On Route 66/Santa Fe Avenue, the Cibola Arts Council runs an art gallery and museum that features the works of local artists and many Route 66 artifacts including a Ford Model T roadster. The museum hosts special events, shows, and openings on a regular basis.

There is a Tibetan Buddhist stupa in the Zuni Mountains west of town, the Zuni Mountain Stupa

https://visitusaparks.com/grants-new-mexico/

El Morro National Monument is a U.S. national monument in Cibola County, New Mexico, United States. Located on an ancient east–west trail in the western part of the state, the monument preserves the remains of a large prehistoric pueblo atop a great sandstone promontory with a pool of water at its base, which subsequently became a landmark where many centuries of explorers and travelers left historic inscriptions that survive today.

With its oasis-like source of water, El Morro served as a stopping place for numerous travelers through the otherwise arid and desolate region, many of whom left signatures, names, dates, and stories of their treks in the walls of the sandstone cliff. While some of the inscriptions are fading, there are still many that can be seen today, with some dating to the 17th century. The oldest historic inscription at El Morro, left by Juan de Oñate, the first Spanish governor of the colony of Santa Fe de Nuevo México, is dated April 16, 1605. Among the Anglo-American emigrants who left their names there in 1858 were several members of the Rose-Baley Party, including Leonard Rose and John Udell. Nearby petroglyphs and carvings made by the Ancestral Puebloans were inscribed centuries before Europeans arrived. In 1906, U.S. federal law prohibited further carving on the cliffs. El Morro was designated a national monument by President Theodore Roosevelt on December 8, 1906

Penski and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town    April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 1:34 pm

I haven't played in awhile, but a bunny hopped for this prompt so I decided to join in the fun this month   sm  I'm proud to be in such great company!  grouphug   Please forgive the large print, but it's a heck of a lot easier on my eyes!

“There's A New  April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  4090779501  in Town”

(This story takes place during the outlaw years for Heyes and Kid.)

“Founder's Day, Saturday, July 4th Celebration” proclaimed the banner strung across main street.  Yes, two celebrations in one and frivolity was already upon the small town.  It had begun that morning with a flapjack eating contest.  At noon there was to be a picnic by the lake and a potluck supper later that evening.  The celebratory festivities would conclude with an ice cream social and fireworks in town square when it was dark.

As exciting as all that seemed, the town was abuzz with what they considered an even more important event.  This evening, the mayor was going to make a very special announcement during the potluck supper: There was a new sheriff in town!

*~*~*~*~*

The Ladies Auxiliary Committee For the Needy was in full swing after breakfast.  All hands were engaged with various projects, but mouths were even more busy chatting and gossiping.

“I can hardly wait until until tonight!” Mrs. Martha Jenkins exclaimed as she added another square to the quilt they were working on.  “I heard the new sheriff's name is John Waters – isn't that a nice name for a lawman?  Sheriff Waters.”

“Well,” sniffed Mrs. Abigail Smythe, “I have it from a very reliable source that his name is Tom Rivers.” She glanced up from her knitting with a smug smile. “Very reliable indeed.”

“I believe I have both of you beat.  I heard it from the mayor's mouth himself that the new sheriff is single!”  

You could have heard the proverbial pin drop as all the ladies paused to stare at eighteen-year-old Meg Stanley.  

“What?” she huffed.  “That's more important than his name, isn't it?  At least to those of us who aren't married or engaged!”  She looked around the room. “You can't tell me that all of you weren't wondering the same thing, can you?”

Several of the younger women blushed, but nodded in agreement.  The spinsters ducked their heads with a smile as they went on with their tasks.

“Well, a single man will most certainly need some things to help settle in,” Mrs. Carol Martin announced. “The new sheriff will be our Needy Project this month.  I say we present him with this quilt, along with some of our preserves and a few of our other sewing projects.  What do you say, ladies?”

Heads nodded in answer, accompanied by a chorus of “Yes's!”

Mrs. Martin smiled at the group.  “I think that will be a very nice welcome from the Society; one I'm sure the new sheriff will appreciate.”

*~*~*~*~*  

Down the street, the men were clustered in their private domain: the barbershop.  Talk about the new lawman was flowing freely there as well.

“The newspaper doesn't say a gol-darned thing 'bout his name!  Just says we can meet him at the potluck!” grumbled Joe Baxter as he tossed it onto the chair beside him.  “What good is a newspaper if it doesn't give you the news?!”

Floyd Carson glanced over before he added shaving cream to Jack Roger's face.  “Word is that his name is Sam Seavers,” he answered before he returned his attention to his customer.

“That's not what I heard,” mumbled Jack through the layer of lather.  He stilled Floyd's hand holding the razor before adding, “I heard it was Ron Timber.” He released the barber's hand and settled back for his shave.

“I suppose our main concern should be what kind of a man he is, not his name,” Joe shrugged.  

“Guess we'll all find out who's right in a little while,” Carl Sanderson remarked as he waited for his turn in the chair.  “I, for one, am just glad to finally have a new sheriff in town – whatever his name is!”

“Yeah, anyone's gotta be better than Tucker Johnson,” huffed Floyd.  “Our last sheriff wasn't worth a plugged nickel –  he only got the job 'cos he was the deputy when Sheriff Crandall got himself killed.”

All heads that could, nodded in agreement.  Jack gave a thumb's up sign.

*~*~*~*~*

A few doors down, inside the General Mercantile tongues were a-waggin' and gossip was running rampant.

Bill Carter and Ed Cook were playing checkers.

Sisters Edna and Mary Potter were picking out material for dresses.

The proprietors, Chuck and Alice Wilson, were busy waiting on customers.

Foreman Jake Miller, Andy Conner and Roger Carnes were getting supplies for the Bar-TripleW-Ranch.

“I thought I heard somebody somewhere say the new lawman's name is Tim Weaver,” Ed commented as he moved his checker forward.

“Naw, that's not it at all,” Bill countered as he deftly jumped Ed's checker in two moves.  “It's Bob Beaver –  King me!” he chortled and gave Ed a big grin.  Ed scowled back.

“Nosiree Bob – both of you are wrong!” Chuck shook his head, then continued smugly, “The mayor was in here earlier and he told me it was Don Feathers.”

“Sheriff Feathers?” hooted Ed with a grin.  “That name oughtta scare the pants off the bad guys for sure!”

Edna turned away from the material.  “I was at the flapjack eating contest this morning and sat next to the mayor.  I seem to recall that he mentioned the new sheriff by the name Dominic.  He said the man went by Dom for short and his last name was Treasure.  At the time, I thought to myself that Sheriff Treasure had a nice ring to it.”

“Well,” Alice smiled at the group, “there's only one way to find out who's right.  We'll just have to wait until the supper tonight.”

There was a lull in the conversation until Jake cleared his throat.  “I don't like to spread tales, but  I heard that the man has a troubled past.”

“What do you mean by that?” Chuck frowned.

“Just what I said; the man's got a past and not all of it's good.  Rumor has it he was an outlaw and received amnesty from the governor.”

An uneasy silence followed his words as the occupants looked at each other in dismay.

“The mayor wouldn't give the man a job as sheriff if he didn't approve of him!” Ed sputtered.

“Yeah,” Bill nodded.  “The mayor wouldn't entrust the town, and all of us, to a– a what?  You can't even prove what you're saying!”

“Maybe not,” Jake shrugged.  “I'm jus' sharin' what I heard, same as the rest of you.  No offense intended.”  He turned back to checking off his list.

“I don't reckon they wanna hear that kinda talk, Jake,” Roger cautioned.  “Let's just get our supplies and vamoose, okay?”

“Yeah,” Andy nodded.  “They can just find out the truth themselves – the hard way!”

Giving the group scathing looks of pity, the three men picked up their boxes and exited the mercantile.

“Do you think he might be telling the truth?” Mary edged closer to her sister and grasped her hand.  “I mean, the man might be dangerous!”

“There could be a few problems” Chuck nodded.  “Like, would his old friends come in and take over or hoorah the town?  Would they cause trouble?  Expect favors?”

“I think the real question we should be asking is, can we trust someone who used to be on the other side of the law?” Edna glanced at the others.

“Who knows?” Bill shrugged.  “What we need is someone who can uphold the law and be fair and square.”

“Someone who's good with a gun and can stand up to bullies, too!” Ed nodded vigorously.

“Well, the mayor and the town council did meet him and they gave him the stamp of approval,” Chuck added thoughtfully.

“Besides that, I don't think the Governor would send us someone who hadn't passed all the tests in the first place, would he?” Alice spoke earnestly.  “And, even if he was an outlaw, everyone deserves a second chance, don't they?  To prove that they've changed?”

Bill was the one who answered.  “Hopefully we'll get the answers to those questions after we meet the new sheriff tonight.”

*~*~*~*~*

The potluck was in full swing when Mayor Henry Peabody climbed the steps of the platform and faced the crowd.

The band finished their song and a hush fell over the crowd without the Mayor even saying a word.

He smiled at the townspeople.  “I wish I could take credit for this awed silence, but I know you are all waiting for something – or rather someone – more important than me tonight.”

His remarks were met with snorts of laughter, smiles and a few snickers.

“As we all gather together tonight to commemorate and celebrate the Founding Day of this town – this fine town – in which we all live and make our living, we celebrate our fifth year of township.  We have had good times, and we have had bad times, but we have stuck together through thick and thin to make this place our home.  I look forward to many, many years and many more Founding Days, as our town grows.

I would like to thank all of you for your patience as we have searched for the perfect man to be the law in our town, our home.  Thank you for helping the temporary deputies as they performed their jobs to protect it.

Now, without further ado,” Mayor Peabody raised his voice, “Citizens of Porterville, I would like to announce that there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is... Lom Trevors!  Come on up here and meet the folks, Lom.”

Amid the clapping and cheering, a tall, dark-haired man sporting a mustache climbed the stairs to join Mayor Peabody.

Many of the townsfolk were repeating their new sheriff's name and shaking their heads at how wrong they had been.  In addition, many of the female residents' hearts were a-flutter at the sight of the young, handsome – and single – new lawman their eyes gazed upon.

As the crowd once more quieted down of its own accord, Lom Trevors smiled and removed his hat.  “Thank you, Mayor Peabody and thank y'all for that very warm welcome.  I'm very honored and proud to accept the job as Sheriff of Porterville.  I promise to fulfill that job with honesty and integrity.  I know it'll take some time to gain your trust, and I want to start out on the right foot with all of you.  I'm going to take the bull by the horns and share something with you; something very personal.  Please listen to me; hear me out before you go making any kind of judgment.”  Lom took a deep breath.  “The Governor of Wyoming recently granted me amnesty – an amnesty for being an outlaw.”

There were shocked murmurs, gasps and many wide-eyed citizens as they focused all their attention on the new sheriff as they waited with bated breath to hear what else he had to say.

Lom held up his hand.  “Yep, I know; that's hard to hear.  Believe me, it's even harder to admit as I stand up here before you.  I never killed anyone – I was just a very stupid man who chose the wrong path to follow.  Once I realized that what I was doing was wrong, I turned myself in.  To make a long story short, the Governor heard about my story, checked into my history, and thought I would make a good candidate for his new amnesty program.  He felt I could do a better job on the right side of the law than I had done on the wrong side.”  Lom panned the crowd.  “And that's how I ended up standing up here tonight.

You have my promise that I'll protect Porterville and its citizens to the best of my ability.  Besides meeting with the Governor, your town council has had several meetings with me and they are satisfied that I can do the job.  I hope that very soon each and every one of you feels the same way.

One last thing I'd like to say before I step down is that I welcome your thoughts and ideas about how to make Porterville a safe place to live and call home. Please, stop by my office or invite me to your place. I'd really like the chance to get to know y'all.”

Mayor Peabody stepped forward and looked out at the citizens of Porterville.  “Sheriff Trevors chose to lay all of his cards out on the table for you.  I hope you appreciate his complete honesty with you.  It wasn't an easy thing for him to do.  And you can rest assured that what he said is true about the town council – we would never put the town in jeopardy for any reason!  Now, let's finish supper and get ready for some ice cream and fireworks!”

*~*~*~*~*

TURN THE CLOCK AHEAD 15 YEARS... JULY 4TH, FOUNDER'S DAY IN PORTERVILE.
THE POTLUCK SUPPER IS OVER AND, ONCE AGAIN, FOLKS ARE GATHERED NEAR THE LAKE, WAITING FOR THE FIREWORKS TO START...

On one of three blankets spread out on the ground, Sheriff Lom Trevors relaxed holding the hand of his wife, Caroline Porter Trevors. Their three children – a daughter and two younger sons –  played nearby, trying to catch fireflies.

On the second blanket, Hannibal Heyes reclined beside his wife, Madelyn, whose swollen belly gave testament that he would soon be a father himself.  Looking at all the children that surrounded them, he caught her eye and gave her a dimpled smile. “That'll be us, 'fore too long.”

Madelyn grinned back.  “I know – I can hardly wait!”  She leaned down to give him a kiss.

On the third blanket, Jed “Kid” Curry held a squirming bundle in his arms, but it was more like a game of hot potato.  The bundle was his infant daughter and the ex-outlaw seemed to be on the losing end of the game.  Beside him, his wife Gwen bit back a smile at his efforts as she rocked the girl's twin brother and hummed softly.

“How come I always get the one who's all wiggly?” Jed protested.

“She wasn't all wiggly when I gave her to you,” Gwen teased.

Heyes glanced over at his friend.  “Like father, like daughter,” he chuckled.  “They just take after you, Jed, with all that energy you have.”

“Maybe,” Jed conceded reluctantly, “but I sure wish they'd take after someone else!”

Heyes cocked a brow.  “Like who?  They both already have your appetite!”

There was laughter all around.  

Curry gave in gracefully and nodded.  “You got that right!”

Heyes glanced over at his other friend.  “Well, Lom, it's been fifteen years since you became the new sheriff in town.”

“Yeah,” Jed added, “who knew it'd last this long?”

“A lot's happened in those fifteen years.  You and Heyes both received your amnesty, found a good woman to love you and married 'em. You've both started your own family and I've got mine...”  Lom paused briefly, then continued.  “You know, if anyone had asked me if I thought I'd still be sheriff I'd have probably laughed in their face.  I still remember getting up on that stage and confessing that I was an ex-outlaw.  You should've seen their faces; I thought I was a goner for sure!  I remember thinking to myself, 'Well, that didn't last long, not even a day!' But, boy, was I ever wrong.”

Caroline patted his hand as she kissed her husband's cheek, her love for him shining in her eyes.  “I trusted Daddy's judgment of you until I met you myself. That was when I realized that you were just what Porterville – and I – needed.  I knew for sure our town was getting a real good man as their new sheriff.”

Lom gazed back at her with undisguised affection.  “I wasn't so sure 'bout you,” he confessed, his voice gruff.  “First you set your eyes on Thaddeus, then on Joshua – I didn't think I stood a ghost of a chance with you.”**See note at end of challenge

“Things turned out just right, Lom.” Caroline looked straight into her husband's eyes.  “We all ended up with who we were supposed to and we're right where we're supposed to be.  It's all good.”

The lawman thought back to the day when Mayor Peabody had announced, “There's a new sheriff in town, and his name is... Lom Trevors.”

Yep, it had been a good fifteen years.

*~*~*~*~*

NOTES:

**In the original scrip for the pilot, the writers had a contrary Miss Porter vacillating between Heyes and Kid – depending on which one didn't seem to be interested in her.  Heyes caught on real early and knew just what to do.  Unfortunately, the show was running way over in length, so those scenes were deleted, as were the additional scenes with Miss Birdie.

Fun facts/trivia:

When was the first name Lom first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name Lom is Monday, April 6th, 1891.

How unique is the name Lom? From 1880 to 2019 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name Lom.  Hoorah! You are a unique individual!

Gemhenry likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town    April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April 2021 - There's a New Sherriff in Town
Page 1 of 1