Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rachel741

rachel741

Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871? Empty
PostSubject: Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?   Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 2:30 pm

I have been trying to find this out, but googling lots of variations, isn't getting me any closer to the answer. I am trying to see if it's even vaguely possible that a younger Jed, could have found his way to Philly. Feasibility, time it'd take and cost. Anyone able to direct me somewhere I might find out?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?   Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Well, according to an article in True West magazine.

Passenger train travel during the 1880s generally cost two or three cents per mile. Transcontinental (New York to San Francisco) ticket rates as of June 1870 were $136 for first class in a Pullman sleeping car, $110 for second class and $65 for third, or “emigrant,” class seats on a bench. Jun 25, 2018

It's approximately 1,800 miles from Cheyenne to Philadelphia. Maybe more expensive that transcontinental prices?
1800 x .03 = $54 and 1800 x .02 = $36.

Just a really rough guess. Maybe around $36-$40 for the seats on a bench?

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?   Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 4:49 am

I am now studying railroad maps (LOL). I might be getting a little obsessed!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?   Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was there a way to get from Wyoming to Philadelphia in 1871?
Page 1 of 1