Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

August 2020 Another Wrong Train

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Empty
PostSubject: August 2020 Another Wrong Train    August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am

Hello one and all...

This month I am giving you a variation on a suggestion made to me for the famous challenge 'List'...

I would like you all to fire up your engines... Get up a good head of steam... and think about

Another Wrong Train

train train train

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: August 2020 Another Wrong Train    August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm

In July’s challenge, Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes became temporarily Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith of Russell Gulch. They gave the town drunk, Loco Lobo, a second chance as a deputy, if Lobo can stop drinking. Eventually these challenges will all come together as one fanfiction story.

Sheriff Jones finished his paperwork, Heyes was reading, and Lobo was cleaning a rifle.

A train whistle blew in the distance.

Heyes stood and put on his hat. “Wanna come and check out the train?”

Curry threw down his pen and stood. “I needed a break. You comin’, Lobo?”

“Sure, why not.”

The three lawmen neared the depot when the train arrived. The engine slowed to a crawl and a steam plume released into the air. People moved forward to greet friends or relatives, drumming up business to take the passengers to their destinations, and unload supplies.

Arms crossed, Deputy Smith and Sheriff Jones leaned against a building watching the action while Deputy Lobo assisted a man struggling with a large trunk.

Heyes straightened as he looked down the line of rail cars. He tapped his partner and pointed. “Think we have a problem, Kid,” he whispered.

Slinking out of a freight car were three dangerous looking men.

“Is that…”

“Yep, the Carter brothers – Dave, Dan, and Darryl,” Heyes continued.

“And they know us.”

Heyes nodded. “Yep, and probably still hold a grudge against us for kicking them outta the Hole.”

“Let’s see what they’re up to, and then we can figure out what we’re gonna do about them.” Curry drew his gun as he slid around the building and behind wagon, Heyes following.

“Dagnabbit, where are we now?” Dave asked as he and his brothers hurried from the rail car and then stopped to eye their surroundings.

“Sign says Russell Gulch, Colorado.” Darryl pointed to the depot sign. “Hopped on another wrong train going in the wrong direction, Dan.”

“Russell Gulch…” Dan rubbed his chin with a hand. “Ain’t this a successful minin’ town?” He grinned. “Looks prosperous, too. Maybe we can relieve the town of some of its money.”

Darryl put an arm about Dan’s shoulders. “Maybe it wasn’t a wrong train after all.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Dang! Things were goin’ so smoothly, too.” Curry threw his hat on the desk, making a few pieces of paper float down to the floor. “Argh…” He bent down and picked them up.”

Lobo walked into the office. “Lots of activity by the train – folks comin’ and goin’.”

“Lobo, can you do your rounds a little earlier? Make sure everyone is settlin’ in and there’s no trouble?” Sheriff Jones plopped into his chair.

“Sure, Sheriff.” Deputy Lobo checked his gun and went.

Heyes handed a cup of coffee to the Kid and sat down in front of him. “They’ll call us out as soon as they see us.”

“Yep.”

“Probably make a commotion.”

“Yep.”

“Try robbing the bank, if we don’t do anything.”

“Yep.”

“So, what do you wanna do, Sheriff Jones?”

“You wanna be the sheriff?”

“Nope. You’re doing a fine job.”

The Kid held his head in his hands. “They don’t know Lobo.”

“What?” Heyes asked.

“Carter brothers don’t know Deputy Lobo. What if he arrests them, with us in the background?”

“And then what?”

“Well, we can contact the marshal to come get them so he’s on his way even before the arrest. And maybe we can let Lobo know the prisoners can’t see us.”

“We could stay on the porch watching the town and run things,” Heyes added.

“Rearrange that blanket so we can get to that other cell through the back door, so they don’t see us.”

“Too bad we can’t just put them in the covered cell.”

“I thought about that, but that’d look suspicious.” The Kid ran his fingers through his hair. “Think the marshal knows us?”

“I don’t wanna risk that, do you?” Heyes raised a brow.

“No. Lobo could do the turnin’ over to the marshal.

Heyes smiled. “I think we have a plan.”

“A plan… Not the best plan.” Curry sipped his coffee.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones joined Deputy Lobo on his rounds. “How’s everything?”

“Good, Sheriff. Real good. I just have to check a few more places.”

“Notice anyone new?”

“Not yet. Well, in the hotel lobby, of course.”

The Kid smiled. “Of course.”

Lobo pointed down the street. “Joshua's goin’ into the Wells Fargo office.”

“Yep, I asked him to send a telegram.” Curry stopped at the door of the Gold Nugget saloon. “Think I’ll check the back door while you go in the front. Oh, and Lobo, pocket your badge for a spell.”

“Take off my badge?”

Curry nodded. “Just while you’re in the Gold Nugget.”

“Okay, if you say so.” Deputy Lobo removed his badge, went up to the bar, and turned to see the customers.

“Howdy, Lobo,” Gus greeted his old customer. “Can I get you something?”

Lobo looked around the room and saw strangers at a corner table. He also saw the sheriff slide in through the back door with his gun drawn, quickly glance about, and exit the saloon. “Huh.”

“Did you want something?” Gus repeated.

“No. No thanks, Gus. Think I’ll just mosey back.” Lobo took a good look at the men before leaving the saloon.

“You knew there was trouble in there before you even looked inside,” Lobo stated as he met the Sheriff near the office. “How?”

“Me and Joshua saw them get off the train and since they weren’t in another saloon, they had to be there,” the Kid replied. “Let’s go back into the office and talk.”

They walked in just as Heyes started moving the blanket.

“Sent it,” Heyes said without being asked.

Curry nodded as he sat down behind his desk. “Lobo, have a seat.”

The Deputy looked between the Sheriff and Deputy. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Remember us tellin’ you we believe in second chances?”

The man nodded. “Yeah.”

“Well, me and Joshua have to believe ‘cause we’re hopin’ for a second chance from the law.”

“You and Joshua are…”

“Were! We were on the other side of the law; we've seen the errors of our ways.”

Heyes finished and joined them, leaning against the desk and folding his arms. “Those men are the Carter brothers.”

“Carter brothers! Why, they’re wanted for robbery and murder! Let’s go get ‘em!” Lobo jumped up.

“Sit down, Lobo,” Sheriff Jones commanded. “Not yet.”

Lobo sat down. “Why not?”

“Because the Carters know us,” Heyes said simply.

Lobo furrowed his brow. “Because you rode together?”

“No, because we’re not murderers like them!” the Kid exclaimed.

“But they do know us from the outlaw trail,” Heyes continued. “Need to arrest them, but they can’t see the two of us. I already sent the marshal a message and he’s on his way.”

“Can I assume this marshal can’t see you?”

“That’s right. The Carters and the marshal can’t see us,” Curry replied.

“So how we gonna arrest them and…” Lobo looked at the sheriff and deputy, gulped, and pointed to himself. “Me?”

Heyes and the Kid smiled.

“We’re gonna be there and back you up so you won’t be alone. If there’s a problem, we’ll come outta the background.” Sheriff Jones leaned forward. “You can do this, Deputy Lobo. We have full confidence in you.”

“So, after the arrest…”

“You’ll bring them back here. Now I’m gonna have to ask you to be here at the jail 24 hours a day until you turn them over to the marshal. I know that’s a lot to ask. Either me or Joshua will be on the porch or in the cell with the blanket. Joshua made it so we could enter through the back door and not be seen by the other cell.”

“We’ll do all the rounds, get the meals and do everything else. You just have to watch over the prisoners and their needs,” Heyes continued. “Once they’re in their cell, no wearing your gun or keeping the keys. We’ll be nearby so you just have to yell if you’re in trouble.”

“What if they have to go on back and use the outhouse?” Lobo asked.

“They can’t. Me and Joshua will be takin’ the chamber pot outside and cleanin’ it. Your job is to stay with the prisoners all the time.”

“What about sleeping?”

“Sorry, but you’ll have to sleep at the desk,” Heyes apologized. “But we’ll be in the cell behind the blanket watching the prisoners. We’ll bring you and the prisoners their meals, but will have to leave them right outside the door.”

“What if I have to… you know. I don’t wanna use a pot in front of the prisoners.”

“Just rap, alertin’ me and Joshua, whenever you have to go outside.” Sheriff Jones smiled. “You’ll be the town’s hero for bringin’ them in, Deputy Lobo. This'll win the town’s confidence and appreciation. What do you think?”

Lobo thought a moment. “If you’re backin’ me up and gonna be here, too…” he hesitated. “Okay.”

Heyes and Curry smiled in relief.

“I got one question, though. Who are you? Really?”

Heyes sighed. “Lobo, we’re Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones trying real hard to lead a good and honest life, just like you.”

“So, you’re not gonna tell me.”

“Nope!” Sheriff Jones stood up and got three handcuffs off a hook. “Let’s go get us some really bad guys.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I’ll be by the back door. Joshua, you stand by the stairs. No one should see you in that dark corner and you can see everything. Lobo, walk in the front, easy as you can, and quietly let Gus know. He’s got that rifle behind the bar and will help you.”

“What if someone asks where you two are?”

“I’m at the boarding house asleep and the Sheriff took a ride to check on…” Heyes looked over to Curry.

“A complaint at a ranch?” The Kid offered.

Heyes nodded. “That’ll work.”

“Give us five minutes to get in place and then go inside the saloon.” Curry started to turn, but then clapped Lobo’s shoulder. “You’re gonna go from the town drunk to the town hero. You can do this!”

Lobo nodded. “Don’t you worry none, Sheriff. I can do this, especially with Gus and you two watching my back.”

Sheriff Jones nodded and he and Deputy Smith disappeared down an alley.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Deputy Lobo placed his pocket watch back in his vest pocket, took a deep breath, and walked into the Golden Nugget. He noticed the shadow of Deputy Smith, Sheriff Jones near the back door, and the Carter brothers still in the corner.

Gus finished pouring for another customer and came over when Lobo quietly beckoned him.

“I got it on good authority that those men in the corner are wanted for murder. Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith aren’t available, so I need you to back me up with your rifle,” Lobo whispered.

Gus’ eyes widened. “You’re arresting them all by yourself?”

“No, you’re gonna help me disarm and get these cuffs on them. Once that’s done, I can get them to jail.”

“Okay.” Gus bent down and came up with his rifle in his hand.

Deputy Lobo confidently walked over the corner table and pulled out his gun, holding it to the head of Darryl Carter. “Carters, I’m arresting you for murder! Unless you want this brother to get his head blown off, you all put your hardware on the table – NOW!”

Dave, Dan, and Darryl Carter looked up at the deputy in shock.

“Now what makes you think we’re the Carters?” Dan asked.

Several clicks of guns were heard in the saloon.

Darryl gulped when the gun at his head clicked. “Think we better do as the deputy says.” He slowly reached down and put his gun on the table.

Dan and Dave also complied, looking around for all the guns aimed at them.

Gus came closer with his rifle. “Jack, get them guns for Deputy Lobo while we got ‘em covered.”

A customer nodded and put the guns on a table further away.

“Jack, hold this gun here while I put cuffs on them,” Lobo ordered.

“Sure thing, Deputy.” The young man took the gun and kept it at Darryl Carter’s head while Lobo put cuffs on all three brothers.

“Okay, now slow stand and walk over against the wall. Spread your legs. Gus and Jack, keep me covered while I check ‘em for more hardware.”

Heyes and Curry spared a quick glance of surprise at each other and smiled. Heyes hurried out the back.

When the search was over, Deputy Lobo and the saloon breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thanks, Gus, I couldn’t have done it without you. Can you help me get them to the jail, Jack?”

“Sure thing!”

“That was something, Deputy Lobo!” Gus complimented his former customer. “And you did it without the sheriff.”

“But I had help from everyone here.” Lobo started heading towards the door. “I got a nice cozy cell for you boys until the marshal comes to pick you up.”

Deputy Lobo paraded his prisoners down the center of the street. Folks quickly got out of his way and stared. Dave Carter make a run for it, but several well-placed shots by his feet from an unknown source made him stop.

Jack opened the office’s double door to let the deputy and his prisoners enter. Several minutes later the Carter brothers were safely jailed and backed up to the bars so Lobo could remove the cuffs.

“You behave yourselves and I won’t put the cuffs back on.” Deputy Lobo hung the cuffs and key on hooks on the other side of the room. “Thanks for your help, Jack.”

“Any time, Deputy Lobo.” Jack looked at the lawman with admiration in his eyes as he left.

Deputy Lobo sighed and dropped into the desk chair. “I really did it!”

The Carter brothers sat dejectedly on the cots.

“That was definitely another wrong train you got us on, Dan,” Darryl lamented.

A light rap at the window made Lobo stand and go to the door. Sheriff Jones motioned him outside and around into the alley where Deputy Smith stood.

“That was brilliant putting a gun to one of their heads.” Heyes clapped his arm about Lobo.

“You did an amazing job, Deputy! I knew you could do it!” Curry praised his employee.

Lobo beamed. “My training as a deputy before all came back when I walked into the saloon.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith heard in detail the story of Deputy Lobo’s arrest of the infamous Carter brothers.

“Yep, best decision I made was to hire Deputy Lobo,” boasted Milton Grove, the honorary mayor.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Over the next four days, Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith backed up Lobo, who stayed in the office with the prisoners. They took care of all the town’s problems by intercepting people at the jail’s porch and while on rounds. They brought meals and stayed in the back covered cell while Lobo rested. When the prisoners rebelled and made extra noise in their cell so Lobo couldn’t sleep, a cocked gun and a deep voice telling them to stop made them realize Deputy Lobo wasn’t alone.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Marshal Dillon and his deputy rode into town on the prison wagon and tied it in front of the jail early in the morning.

Sheriff Jones, on his way back from his rounds, quickly ducked into an alley and hurried to the back door of the jail into the covered cell to wake Heyes.

The Kid put a hand on his sleeping partner and motioned him to be quiet when he woke. “Dillon’s here,” he whispered.

Marshal Dillon stretched his back and then opened the jail’s main door.

Deputy Lobo quickly went for his gun. “May I help you?”

The marshal nodded with approval. “Deputy Lobo, I’m Marshal Dillon and here to relieve you of some prisoners.”

Lobo visibly relaxed. “Glad you’re here, Marshal, and I’ll be really glad to have them outta here.”

The marshal went over the cell where Dave, Dan, and Darryl Carter stood in a row with their hands gripping the bars. “Thought I’d never get you three. Will be my pleasure to take them to Denver for trial.” The marshal looked around the room. “Is the sheriff around?”

“We ain’t never seen a sheriff,” Dan snorted. “Just this here deputy.”

“Sheriff Jones was called outta town, Marshal Dillon,” Lobo explained. “Will you be staying the night?”

“No, plenty of daylight left. I have some papers for you to sign and I’ll take them off your hands.” Dillon pulled some paperwork out of a pocket.

Lobo signed the papers and returned them.

“How’d you know they were the Carters? Few people know what they look like.”

“They were pointed out to me, sir, so I quickly arrested them.”

“Mighty fine job, Deputy!” the marshal praised him as he returned the paperwork to his pocket. “Deputy Scott, can you help me? Carters, turn around and back up so we can get chains on you.”

While Scott cuffed the Carters, Dillon nodded his head towards the covered cell. “What’s with the blanket around the cell?”

“Oh, Deputy Smith or I sleep in there, especially with the Carters in the jail.”

“Good idea.” The marshal held out his hand. “The key?”

“Oh, here you go.” Lobo retrieved it from the hook and opened the cell door.

Minutes later, the Carter brothers, Marshal Dillon, and Deputy Scott were rolling out of Russell Gulch.

“They’re gone—all of ‘em,” Lobo sunk into a chair and breathed a sigh of relief.

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith came out from behind the blanket.

“Lobo, you did a great job!” the sheriff exclaimed.

“You sure did!” the deputy agreed.

“This calls for a drink – I’m buyin’! Grinning, Curry headed towards the door, but stopped short when his partner put a hand on his arm.

“Hey Thaddeus, you’ve been thinking a bit too much lately about the Carters that you might’ve forgotten something this time.”

Curry looked puzzled for a second and then it hit him. “Oh… drink.”

“A sarsaparilla sounds perfect!” Deputy Lobo stood up, put his hat on, and walked out of the office. Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith exchanged a shrug and then followed behind.

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: August 2020 Another Wrong Train    August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 5:08 am

ANOTHER WRONG TRAIN

Two familiar figures crouch in the scrub beside a railway line.  One, specifically the blonder of the two, sports a distinctly proddy frown.  The other, by process of elimination the more dimpled edition, is in full flow.  

“You see the train won’t gather speed ‘til it passes this bend…”

“I know.  I have done this before, y’know.”

“We stay in these bushes until the passenger cars are almost past…”

“I know.”

“We run alongside the first freight car…”

“Which part of ‘done this before’ are you havin’ trouble with…?”

“You leap on the running board, get the door open…”

“I what?”

“I thought you said you’d done it before?”

“Yup.  Last time.  And the time before.  How come it’s me doin’ first jump again?”

“Well, Kid.  It’d be foolish not to allocate jobs according to experience.  Here it comes.”

A brown and a battered black hat bob alongside the train.  The brown hat is clamped to dusty curls by a gloved hand.  The Kid gathers speed and… There it is!  The leap.  The freight door is wrested open.  He kneels, leans down and holds out a hand to his now sprinting partner.  Heyes is heaved up.  

“Y’know what?” pants Heyes.  “You really have done this before.”

A reluctant grin from the Kid.  

Two ex-outlaws straighten, brush the dust from their knees, turn and…

Brown eyes meet blue in a mute – astonished – conversation.  They are not in a freight car.  They are in a passenger carriage with overstuffed seats upholstered in worn, shabby velveteen.  Moreover, they are not alone.  

“Forgive me?” begs a distinguished looking gentleman, clad in a drab overcoat.  He gazes into the yearning eyes of his companion, her sweet face aching in misery, her peaked cap a study in sepia.  

“Forgive you for what?”

The romantic strains of piano concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff swell and fill the carriage.  The two ex-outlaws react, looking around for the source of the music.  The doomed lovers are oblivious.  

“Forgive me for everything. For meeting you, in the first place. For taking the piece of grit out of your eye. For loving you. For bringing you so much misery.”

“I'll forgive you if you'll forgive me.”

Heyes and Curry touch their hats politely.  “Excuse us, ma’am.”  

The couple break hands to allow the dusty pair to edge past to the empty corner seats.  Hands are re-joined. And eyes…

“Do you know,” breathes the immaculate received pronunciation of the lady, “I believe we should all behave quite differently if we lived in a warm, sunny climate all the time. We shouldn't be so withdrawn and shy and difficult.”

“I think you have something there, ma’am,” remarks Heyes. “My partner and me – we try and raise a little stake, head south for the winter each year…”

He is ignored.  

“It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly,” says the lady.

“That is the best way,” agrees Heyes.

“So very easy…”

“Lotta truth in there, ma’am.”

“…And so very degrading.”

The brown eyes blink, “I find that soon wears off.”

He is met with two basilisk stares.  He pipes down.

“I love you, Laura,” remarks the gentleman, “I shall love you always until the end of my life. I can't look at you now because I know something. I know that this is the beginning of the end. Not the end of my loving you but the end of our being together. But not quite yet, darling. Please. Not quite yet.”

The music swells.

“D’you folks hear that?” asks the Kid.

“Nothing lasts really,” sighs Laura, “Neither happiness nor despair. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.”

“If it’s remembering you want, have you considered keeping a journal?” suggests Heyes.  “I read Mark Twain writes up his journal every…”

Soulful sepia eyes rest, balefully, on Heyes.  Laura does not speak, but her cut-glass voice-over is heard above the violins.

“I wish you’d stop talking. I wish you’d stop prying and trying to find things out. I wish you were dead – no, I don’t mean that. It was silly and unkind, and I shouldn’t have said it. But I do wish you’d stop talking.”

Heyes turns to the Kid, “Did she just say that without moving her lips?”

“Dunno, Heyes.  It coulda been me.  It’s ain’t far from what I was thinkin’.”  Curry stands up, “I reckon we’ll find us another carriage, ma’am.”

---oooOOOooo---

In medium shot we see the two ex-outlaws stride over a rattling coupling from one car to the next.  Heyes and Curry open a door and… A surprised start.  Make that two surprised starts.  They are upfront with the engine driver.

The driver’s eye drops to the Kid’s tied down gun.

“We’re not wantin’ to cause no trouble,” says Curry.

“Who are you?”

“Thaddeus Jones… An’ this is …”

“Hey, I’m Jones too.  Casey Jones.”

“Lotta folks called Smith and Jones.  I guess we’re three of …”

“I’m Casey Jones – see me mounted to my cabin,”

“Er, yeah…”

“Casey Jones - with my orders in my hand.”

A glance is exchanged, and a shrug.

“I’m Casey Jones, mounted in my cabin.  An’ I’m eight hours late by that Western Mail!”

“Uh huh?” grunts Heyes.  He looks ahead.  This is a pretty steep hill for Kansas.  Practically a mountain.”

“Oooh, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore,” says Casey.

“This engine…” Kid Curry is studying his rusty dilapidated surroundings.  “Isn’t it just a switcher?  Surely it’s too small for the job?”

“She – not it.  Her name’s Tilly.”  

Another mute conversation.  

“She’s not our regular engine.  We broke down at the bottom of the mountain.”

“When?  We haven’t stopped.”

“First I flagged down a shiny yellow passenger engine…”

“Flagged it down where? We haven’t passed a single train.”

“It refused to help. Then I flagged down a big black freight engine.  It refused to help…”

“You talk to trains?” asks Heyes.  

“Don’t you talk to your horses?”

“Sure,” says Kid Curry.  “The difference is, we don’t hear ‘em talk back.”

“Then this little blue engine, Tilly arrived.  Although she is simply a switcher and has never been over the mountain, she agreed to help pull the train…”

“Uh huh?  And you believed her?”

“Just listen…”  

Heyes and Curry do listen.  The chugging resolves into a rhythmic, “"I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can."

The top is reached.  Over we go and…”I thought I could, I thought I could."

The faces of the two ex-outlaws express a faint nausea at this moral lesson.  

“We’d better get back inside,” says Heyes.

---oooOOOooo---

The boys encounter a youthful railway employee in the corridor.  Heyes touches him on the shoulder.  

“Pardon me boy, is this the train for Porterville?

“No, sir.  This is the Chattanooga Choo Choo.  We left track twenty nine.  Now, can I give you a shine?”  

“Can you give him a what?” blinks the Kid.  Then, sotto voice, as he pulls open the door to another carriage.  “Heyes, we are definitely on the wrong train.”

---oooOOOooo---

“On the wrong train?” repeats a confident looking thirteen year old, with bushy hair and slightly prominent teeth.   “Surely not?  You must have got on with the rest of us at Platform Nine and Three Quarters.”

“Nine and…” Kid Curry gives it up.

“Are you new teachers?” asks a shy looking boy, clutching a toad.

“If you are, the standard is really slipping,” sneers a platinum blond, just possibly, depending on the fanfic, extremely attractive in a bad boy style, and wearing leather.  “Look at the state of their hats.”

“There’s no need to be rude,” says the girl.  She holds out her hand.  “I’m Hermione Granger.  This is Neville Longbottom, and that’s Draco Malfoy.”

“Joshua Smith, Thaddeus Jones.”

“Smith and Jones,” scoffs Draco.  “How common.”

“Ignore him,” says Hermione.  “One of you must be our new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher.”

“Why d’you say that?”

“Whenever a mysterious stranger appears on the train at the start of term – it’s always the new Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher.”  

“Not one ever lasts the year,” says Neville.

“Something always goes horribly wrong,” gloats Draco (possibly in Leather Pants.)

“I hafta say,” admits Kid Curry, “That does sound like our kind of job.”

“Will you show us some magic?” asks Neville.

“I could show you a card trick,” offers Heyes.  He eyes Draco.  “Have you any money?”

“Have I any… I’m rich!  Look!”  A fistful of gold is pulled out.

“What would you say the odds are I can deal twenty-five cards and make five pat poker hands?”  

“I’d say they are…” A youthful forehead puckers. “About 98% in your favour.”

Heyes looks at Hermione with reluctant admiration. “You’re a pretty smart gal.”

“There’s a formula for everything.”  

Kid Curry turns away to hide his grin.  

---oooOOOooo---

The boys are back in the corridor.  “Next time,” says Heyes, “we choose a car with – y’know – normal folk in it.”

“If you can find one, sure.”

The pair look through one window after another.

A sinister Russian lady, spikes on her toes, outwitting a suave secret agent.  Nope.

A seemingly scatty old lady in possession of state secrets, noticing that a German nun is wearing high heels, and so is, almost certainly, a Nazi.   Nope.

An anthropomorphic stork delivering a baby elephant with huge ears to a delighted and heart-tuggingly tuneful Mrs. Jumbo.  Nope.

A benevolent old gentleman in a frock coat, reading his newspaper and sipping a cup of tea.  Perfect.  

---oooOOOooo---

“Are these seats free?”  

The benevolent old gentleman, his face wreathed in smiles, looks up.  

“Indeed they are.  Please sit down.  May I offer you some tea?”

“Sure.  Thank you.”

It is poured.  Proper English tea.  Sugar and milk.  Ahhh…  Two thirsty ex-outlaws might have preferred a cold beer.  But, all the same.  Ahhh…

“I take this journey every day.”

“Every day?  Why?”

“I have an unspecified but extremely senior job with the railway.  Possibly I own it.”

“Uh huh? But, even so… Every day?”

“And the highlight is, just around this bend… Watch.”

Brown and blue eyes gaze out of the window at the pastures green, clouded hills and – in the far distance – dark satanic mills.  

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore, Kid.”

“Didn’t Casey already do that line?”

The benevolent gentleman is waving his newspaper.  Two pinafored girls and their young brother, all seated on a fence, wave back, white handkerchiefs fluttering gaily.  

“Charming, charming.”

“It was pretty,” agrees Kid Curry.

“We’ll see them again in a few minutes,” says the old gentleman.   Pause.  “When they stop the train.”

“Stop the… What for?”

“You don’t mean they’re going to rob it?”

“Rob it?  Why on earth would you leap to that conclusion?  Does a robbery usually follow a train being stopped in your experience?”

A glance is exchanged.

“Er… We mighta read about that kind of thing happening,” says Heyes.

There is a squealing of brakes, a hissing of steam, and the motivational chugging of the Little Engine That Could has a faint undertone of ‘I’d better stop, I’d better stop…”

A dark and a curly blond head lean out of the window to see multiple scarlet flags on sticks and slow motion waving by a fainting adolescent heroine.

“They strip off their red flannel petticoats to make the flags,” explains the old gentleman.  “It works every time.”

Surreptitiously, Curry, pulls at his waistband and checks out the colour of his long-johns.  Bright red.   A mute message is sent to Heyes.  

Heyes nods.  “Worth bearing in mind, Kid.”

---oooOOOooo---

Once more unto the corridor, dear friends, once more.

“This time,” says Heyes, “We definitely keep looking until we see normal folks.”

“Nah, on this train, I think that ship’s sailed.”  Kid Curry sniffs the air.  “I smell somethin’ good cookin’.  This time we head for the dinin’ car.”

---oooOOOooo---

The boys are seated at a snowy-clothed table, wrapping themselves around a delicious looking ragout.  

Kid Curry dabs his mouth with a damask napkin.  He gestures at the gleaming silver cutlery and crystal wine glasses.  

“Pretty fine dinin’, huh?”

“I’m guessing the bill will be pretty fine, too.  How are you planning on paying?”

“I’m not plannin’.  I leave that to you.  That’s our arrangement, huh?”

“Messieurs,” the uniformed Frenchman waiting on the ex-outlaws, pours a little more wine as he speaks.  “I cannot ‘elp but over’ear.  Do not concern yourselves with ze bill.  Ever since we ‘ave been trapped in zis snow-drift, M’sieur Bouc, as a director of ze line, ees meeting all ze bills.”

“That’s very kind of… Trapped in a what?”

“Ze snow-drift m’sieur.”

Heyes stares out of the window.  Indeed, it is a white, wintery world out there.  “We’re not moving,” he deducts.

I guess she couldn’t, I guess she couldn’t…” grins the Kid.  “Relax, at least the scenery is good.”

“You like snow?  News to me after that winter playing Red Dog.”

“I meant the scenery inside.” Kid Curry nods at a stunningly beautiful woman.

“Be careful, m’sieur.  Zat is ze Countess Andrenyi.  ‘Er ‘usband is an ‘ot blooded ‘Ungarian.  ‘E will sleet your throat if you so much as look at ‘is wife.”

“Uh huh?”  Obligingly, Kid Curry moves his gaze to a handsome redhead.

“Zat ees Mees Debenham.  I regret M’sieur she is secretly in love with ze soldierly man – Colonel Arbuthnot.”

“Well,” the Kid remains philosophical, “you win some, you lose some.   Who’s the other French fella – the one doin’ all the talkin’?”

“He’s been holding the floor for nearly a quarter of an hour,” says Heyes.  “Don’t he pause for breath?”

“Pots an’ kettles, Heyes.”

“’E ees not French, m’sieur.  Zat is ze world famous Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot.”

Two ex-outlaw faces freeze.

“Detective?”

“Indeed, M’sieur.  No one with anything to ‘ide is safe from ze great Hercule Poirot.”  Under his breath, he adds, “Which ees most unfortunate for myself, Pierre Michel, and my twelve co-conspirators.”

“Who’s that he’s talking to – or, talking at – now?”

“Zat is Cyrus ‘Ardman, a most talented Pinkerton Detective.  

Two sets of eyes exchange a – careful – mute conversation

“A Pinkerton?” checks Kid Curry.

Pierre Michel nods.

“A talented Pinkerton, and a world famous Detective?” double-checks Heyes.

“Bien sur.  M’sieur Poirot is uncovering ze fact that ‘Ardman was in love wiz my daughter, Susanne, and ‘ad a motive – as we all do – for ze murder of an ‘eartless killer.”

Pierre turns back to the table.  He blinks in surprise.  His customers have deserted him.  

“…And so, my little grey cells, tell me that all the passengers aboard the Orient Express participated in stabbing Cassetti to death.”

“But, Poirot,” protests Monsieur Bouc.  “We have the uniform of the mysterious Wagon Lit conductor.  Surely some stranger – a rival Mafiosi – could have done the murder?”

“You forget, mon ami, there were no footprints in the snow.  How did this mysterious stranger leave the train?”

“No footprints? But…”  Twelve fingers point.  “Look!”

Two unmistakable trails of boot prints head away from the train.

Poirot gives a Gallic shrug.  “Maybe I am on the wrong train?  My solution will be perfect for the return journey on the Polar Express.”

---oooOOOooo---

THE END

Not that anyone will need it, but our references are; train train train

Brief Encounter
Casey Jones
The Little Engine that Could
The Wizard of Oz
The Chattanooga Choo Choo.
Harry Potter (various)
From Russia With Love
The Lady Vanishes
Dumbo
The Railway Children
Murder on the Orient Express
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: August 2020 Another Wrong Train    August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Dog Days

A robin sang its sweet song on the morn of a bright, late summer’s day. Not yet too hot, its warbling added to nature’s chorus—the chatter of squirrels darting to and fro, the croak of frogs on lily pads in the pond nearby, a soft breeze rustling leaves dry from too little rain.

Into this tableau appeared two young boys, approaching with a slow and quiet tiptoe so as not to disturb. Growing up in a country setting, the natural education taught by their elders included silence so as not to scatter game. However, being too young for gun handling just yet, their weapons of choice this day were the slingshots in their back pockets. The taller boy put out an arm to slow the advance of the second, then took careful aim and let a rock fly. The robin beat the missile and flew away, unscathed.

“Damn it!”

Jed, the younger of the two, spoke, his eyes wide. “Han, you cursed!”

Han muttered, “Sorry.”

“But you ain’t supposed to!” Jed insisted.

“I said I was sorry, didn’t I? Besides, we’re playing grown-ups and no one’ll know unless you go telling.”

Feeling accused, the younger boy scrunched up his nose. “I don’t tattle!”

“I know. Just making sure.” Han reached into his pocket and scowled. “Damn, that was my last rock.”

Jed checked his pockets as well. “Me too.”

The quietude of their stalking gone, they scoured the ground for pebbles to fit the slings, choosing and discarding several. Their pockets filled, they set out yet again.

“Han?”

“Shhh.”

Louder, “Han?”

“What?”

Jed frowned. “Where are we goin’? There’s frogs and squirrels right here.”

Han shook his head. “We’re scaring them all away so we’ll have to find another place.” He thought a moment. “Let’s try that grove of trees down by the railroad tracks the other side of the hill. Should be lots of squirrels there and they make easier targets.”

The younger boy sighed but acquiesced. “Okay.”

A half hour later, their destination in sight, Han once again jutted out an arm to halt their advance. He pointed ahead and brought a finger to his lips to order silence. As he had suspected, a colony of squirrels tended to their tasks of gathering black walnuts in preparation for winter storage. Stock-still, the boys watched as the furry creatures gnawed at the fuzzy green shells to reveal the prizes inside. Leading by tiptoe, Han reached into his pocket and prepared a rock dead center of the sling. Taking careful aim at a squirrel on the ground busy at its industry, Han shot it just as a whistle shrilled in the distance. The squirrel pricked its ears and scattered into the trees along with the rest, the dropped walnut skittering as Han’s missile found its target.

The older boy stamped a foot in disgust. “Damn! I woulda hit it!”

Jed shrugged. “It was kinda close.”

Han could not believe his cousin’s uncertainty. “Kinda close? I’m telling ya, I woulda hit it!”

“Maybe, but we’da had better luck with fishin’, like I wanted to.”

“We always go fishing, and it was my turn to pick,” Han shot back with a glare.

Jed saw the look. “We always do what you wanna do,” he replied quietly and turned to walk away.

Han shouted at him, “You don’t have to be a baby!”

Jed yelled back over his shoulder. “I ain’t a baby!”

“You’re acting like one!”

“No, I ain’t! You’re bein’ all bossy!”

Han would have none of it. He shouted back, “I’m older and supposed to be watching out for you! It’s just that if anything happened to ya, your pa would have my hide!”

Jed ignored this last salvo and kept walking.

Han watched him. This was not the way it was supposed to be. After all, they were supposed to be having fun on this beautiful day, one of the last before school started. Then the drudgery of school work and chores would fill their time, and it would be fun only on Saturday and maybe Sunday after church. Yes, Jed had wanted to go fishing, but Han was at an age where he wanted to do the things his elders did but was still considered too young, so playing at grown-up pursuits was the best he could do right now. And being able to teach his younger cousin also gave him opportunity to show off a little. Of course, making a contribution to the family’s dinner table would, he thought, show his pa just how grown up he was. Jed reasoned they accomplished that with fishing, but Han’s arguments won out, as they seemed to do most of the time. Jed looked up to him, sure, but perhaps he had gone too far. Finally, he ran after the younger boy.

“Jed, wait up!”

Jed did not reply or slow down, but Han’s longer legs had him caught up in a short time. He went ahead to stop Jed in his tracks.

Jed spoke with some authority. “Get outta my way before I slug ya.”

Han laughed. “No you won’t. I always win when we wrestle.”

Jed shrugged. “I’ll beat ya when I’m bigger.” He went around Han and continued his trek.

The older boy again got ahead and both stopped. “You wanna wrestle now?”

“Uh uh.” Jed started walking again.

Han was puzzled. Always able to sway Jed and make him laugh, his mind raced. How could he broker this to both their satisfaction? Brightening, he got ahead once more.

“Jed, wanna watch the train? You always like doing that.”

The younger boy thought a moment and a small smile broke his lips. “Okay.”

They ran back from whence they had come and seated themselves a safe distance from the tracks. The whistle shrilled louder and the chugging closed in on them. A hulk of a locomotive bore down and whizzed right past them. Two passenger cars and a caboose followed in its wake. Just as fast as it had come, it was gone, hurtling down the tracks to its next destination.

Jed frowned. “I’m goin’ home.” With that, he got up and started walking, not waiting for Han.

“Jed, wait!”

As before, Han ran to catch up. “What’s the matter now? We saw the train.”

Jed answered without breaking stride. “It was the wrong one.”

Han’s incredulity showed in his voice. “What do you mean, the wrong one? It was a train.”

Jed stopped and looked Han in the eye, his frustration on full display. “It didn’t have all the freight cars. They’re fun. The short ones ain’t.” He paused for a second. “I wanted to have fun and I’m not so I’m goin’ home and help my ma.”

Han smirked. “That’s no fun, either. All she’ll do is boss you around and you’re complaining I’m bossy.”

“But she’s a grown-up and you ain’t.” Jed broke eye contact with Han and went on.

The older boy stood, stunned. His younger cousin always looked up to him, rarely ever challenging him, always content to do whatever Han wanted. Or, at least, it seemed that way to Han. But Han was the elder, so shouldn’t it be that way? They were both aware the carefree days of summer were growing short, and Jed disliked school starting up more than Han, although both were bright and did well in their studies. It was just hard getting back into the grind of study and chores, chores and study, with but two days off—one of which meant dressing in Sunday best for church services, so really only one, and even that day had chores to be done.

Han watched after Jed. He did not like feeling rejected, but who did? Hmm, how to fix this?

He called as he ran to catch up, “Jed, do you wanna go fishing?”

PostSubject: Re: August 2020 Another Wrong Train    August 2020  Another Wrong Train   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

August 2020 Another Wrong Train
Page 1 of 1