Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Empty
PostSubject: Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar    Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 7:23 am

Hello one and all …
My home life is shortly to become a dusty desert of discomfort - because I am having the builders in...
(Yes, yes, it is a first world problem.)
To date the disruption is limited to most of my stuff being packed away upstairs, under beds, up on wardrobes... and a bit of temporary plumbing in.

Very soon - the big diggers arrive - smile.

So … I thought I would set you a build related challenge.

Let your creativity get all practical as you consider

Bricks and Mortar

Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar    Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 8:16 am

Challenge: Brick & Mortar

Destiny’s Cycle Twenty-Two: Twisted Tight

Destiny’s Cycle Twenty-Two: Twisted Tight

Curry shook his head, a frown creasing his face, and with a nod Heyes turned back to Lottie, “it is freezing out there, and there isn’t much sunlight left.”

“Well, I realize that.” She answered turning, an expression on Doc Holliday that was quite similar to Kid Curry’s. “However, Sherrif Mills will be here soon.”

Heyes’ nose wrinkled at her words, and he heard the scrape of Curry’s boots on the wood floor as he shifted. “Lottie, way I see it, me and the boys have dumped enough funding in this place to own a portion of the bricks and mortar holding it together.”

Lottie’s red curls swayed as her head tilted to the side, her eyes narrowing at the Devil’s Hole leaders.

“You thinking I am incorrect?”

“Not entirely, Heyes.” She glided toward the dark-haired man, “but, quell am I to do with y’all?”

“Put us upstairs.”

Quell if Sherrif Mills decides to search the place?”

Flicking his eyes to Doc, Heyes purred, “why you intending to lead us to slaughter?” Darkly his eyes slid back to her, his smile emerging. Only, it was not filled with the warm, impishness that so often bent Lottie Thibodeaux’s will. Truth be told, a thought flickered through her mind that he resembled a snarling wolf ready to pounce, and her nostrils flared the tiniest bit. “Well, Lottie?”

“I would not jamais deal with y’all in such a manner.”

Heyes nodded, “come on, Kid, let’s find a warm spot to roost upstairs.” Stalking past her, he whispered in a threatening tone, “do not be forgetting you dubbed as your bonne amis.”

The muscles down Lottie’s back clenched, “you be in the wrong threatening moi, Monsieur Hannibal Heyes.”

Not even glancing back, Heyes started up the side stairs.

Stopping beside her, Curry softly said, “don’t be mindin’ him none, Lottie, he gets twisted tight sometimes, even when he shouldn’t.” Curry looked to his partner, “he doesn’t mean nothing by it.”

Laying her hand along Curry’s sun-tanned neck, she kissed his cheek, “Merci beaucoup, Kid.”

Having moved from behind his Faro table, Doc Holliday’s soft southern voice drawled out unusually hard, “shall I remove said, gentleman?” He nodded toward Heyes.

Curry’s head pivoted his way, “make a move, and I’ll put a limp in your walk.”

Doc smiled fiendishly, “like to see you try, boy…oh, dear me, excuse me, Kid.”

Curry’s shoulders squared, his buried temper simmering to the surface.

Her hand still cupping his neck, Lottie traced her thumb along his jawline, “don’t be mindin’ Doc none, he gets twisted tight sometimes also.”

Curry’s eyes dropped to Lottie.

“Go on up, afore the Law arrives.” Stepping back from Curry, she scolded Doc, “and, vous start considerin’ quell we are going to tell Monsieur Mills.”

In the hall leading north and south from the side stairs, Curry came up on Heyes speaking with a gal with short, dark auburn curls who flashed a playful grin, “Hey, Kid.”

Nodding, he replied, “Darby.”

“Just tryin’ to convince Heyes to join me,” her lower lip emerged in an exaggerated pout. “But, he. . .” she shook her head.

“Like I been saying, I ain’t in the mood, just point out an empty room.”

“Well, like I been saying, there ain’t no empty rooms.” She crossed her arms over the corset, which was quite amazingly managing to keep her full, jiggling bosoms restrained. “Why would the Chicken Ranch have empty rooms, wouldn’t make no sense, now would it?”

A laugh rolled from Curry, “she has you there.”

In a cool hard tone, Heyes replied, “not in the mood for much of anything ‘bout now.”

The laugh rolled forth again, “says the man who won’t let me be when he knows I am ready to put men beneath the ground.” Seeing his jab wedged a crack into the hard shell encasing his partner, Curry patted him on the back. “She was defending her place, just like you would the Hole.”

“Isn’t right her thinking to throw us out with the other rabble.”

“Sure, she wasn’t considering us rabble.”

Heyes’ nose wrinkled.

“More likely, she thought we’d be safer someplace else.”

“Out in the cold!?”

“Well, we ain’t in the cold and Darby…” Curry laughed, “is more than willing to thaw you out.”

Darby nodded briskly.

Stepping about the pair, Curry asked, “Marjorie alone?”

“She is,” Darby answered, and at the sharp rap of Curry’s fist on Marjorie’s door, she turned back to Heyes. Sighing, she stroked a lock of hair that had escaped from his hat from his face. “Well, Sugah, you gonna stand out in the hall fumin’?” Taking his hand, she gave it a gentle tug, “or???”

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar    Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 11:30 am

Not for polling --- this is far over the 3,000 word limit. I can't think of a way to cut 1,000 words without eviscerating this story. I just like to play with all of you here.

----------------------------

I’m an old man now. The events of my childhood seem as distant to my children and grandchildren as is the Norman Conquest. It’s remarkable to all of us, including me, that my memories are still so vivid, as clear as if I were watching them play out on the silver screen.

This ranch will survive me. It comforts me to know that all the hard work put into it over the years, starting with my father, means it will stay in the family after I’m gone. It wasn’t always such a sure thing, though. We almost lost it in the first year. The kids think I’m exaggerating when I say this, of course. “Sure, Pa, you walked five miles uphill in a blizzard to school in the morning, and then you walked five miles uphill in another blizzard on the way home.”

That’s why I’m writing this story now. I want all the family to know, even the family not born yet, what it was like for me, that first season on the ranch.

When my father bought this place in spring, 1882, the buildings were here – mostly. They were standing, but in serious need of repair. Only the cabin was in good shape. That’s how Pa was able to afford the purchase price. He didn’t make much money working on the railroads, but with a loan from his brother, he bought this ramshackle spread and we all moved in, my parents, grandmother, myself, and two younger sisters. Pa planned to do all the construction and remodeling himself, with me at his side, learning from him as he worked, and doing simple tasks a boy could handle. While he worked, he always told me, “Bricks and mortar, son. We’re building ourselves a home and a new life,” and I always pointed out that we were working with wood. It was a joke between us. I loved working with him, but he was away more often than not, so I stepped up as man of the house. I was twelve.

Summer in northern Colorado is glorious, but short. We didn’t realize how short. In early October, I was out repairing the fences. It was hard, dirty work, but I didn’t mind. I was surrounded by women at home, and the cabin felt confining. Mother had migraines – a lot – so my sisters, Elizabeth (we called her Bitsy) and Mary did the women’s work, under my grandmother’s problematic supervision.

That morning started out beautiful – clear skies, abundant sunshine, soft breezes. It was the best of Colorado. By the time I sat down to eat my lunch, clouds were moving in. I remember shivering. The breeze turned into a chilly wind. I put on my jacket and scarf and went back to work. It was a surprise when the first snowflake landed on my gloved hand. I could hardly believe how quickly the weather changed.

I started packing my tools, preparing for the long walk back to our cabin. As the occasional flurry turned into steady snowfall, I looked up and saw what I thought must be mirages. It couldn’t be two men on horseback. But it was. We hardly ever saw anyone way out north of Fort Collins. Were these men Indians? Outlaws? I desperately wished I had my father’s shotgun.

They rode up to me. One had dark hair and wore a beat-up black hat with silver lightning bolts. The other was a young-looking man with curly blonde hair under a floppy brown hat with silver conchos.

“Are you alone out here?” The blonde man asked.

I looked around. “I don’t see anybody else,” I said, my rudeness an attempt to hide my apprehension. I didn’t fool him for a second.

“Storm’s moving in fast,” the dark one said. “You live nearby?” I nodded. “Time for you to head home. You don’t want to get caught in a white-out.”

I looked around and noticed the snowfall was getting heavier.

“We don’t want to caught outdoors either. We need to find somewhere to stay the night.” He looked up at the darkening sky. “At least the night. Maybe longer.”

“You think your folks will let us shelter in your barn?” the blonde man asked.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Maybe.”

“You got a name?”

He was leaning forward, arms crossed and resting on the pommel of his saddle. Somehow, he didn’t look dangerous to me. He looked kind.

“I’m Tom. Tom Hartley. My family owns this spread.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tom. I’m Joshua Smith,” the dark one said. “And that’s my partner, Thaddeus Jones. Let’s get more acquainted after we’re safe and warm indoors. Tie your tool kit to my saddle, and you can climb up and ride with Thaddeus. We’ll get to your place faster on horseback.”

“I hope you can guide us to your home in this blow,” Thaddeus said, as he pulled me up behind him. “This storm’s going to be a humdinger.”

By the time we reached the cabin about half an hour later, snow fell steadily. There was already at least two inches on the ground. Thaddeus and Joshua dropped me at the cabin door, and I directed them to the barn to settle their horses.

As soon as I got inside, Bitsy and Mary came running up to me, and they hugged me.

“We were worried about you,” Bitsy said. “It was so nice out, and then the snow started. We didn’t know what to do.”

“Where’s Ma?” I asked, stamping my feet on the threshold. It was warm inside. Grandma sat in her rocker, knitting. She didn’t seem to notice me.

“Laying down. She’s got another migraine.” Bitsy helped me take off my coat, and she hung it on a peg. “You want something hot to drink?”

I did. I knew Smith and Jones wouldn’t be in for a few minutes yet, so I went to tell Ma everything that had happened. When I saw she was sleeping, I decided to let her be, and left without disturbing her.

There was a knock on the door. Bitsy and Mary were startled. Grandma kept knitting.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I invited company over.” I opened the door, and Joshua and Thaddeus came in, stamping cold feet and sending snow to the floor. They put their saddlebags and bedrolls down. I introduced them to my sisters, who, although totally surprised and more than a little scared, responded politely.

“Is that your grandmother?” Joshua asked. I nodded. “Aren’t you going to introduce us?”

“I don’t know if it makes a difference if I do or not. She’s usually . . . well, Pa says she’s senile. She doesn’t always remember where she is. Sometimes she doesn’t even know us.”

“That’s no reason to be impolite,” Joshua said. He walked over to the rocker and bent over her.

“Pleased to meet you, ma’am. I’m Joshua Smith.” He extended his hand to shake hers. She seemed to wake up then. She put her knitting in her lap and looked up at him, and a big smile crossed her face.

“Matthew!” she said. “It’s really you! You never said you were getting leave.”

Thaddeus bent down to whisper to me. “Who’s Matthew?”

I whispered back. “Her son. He was in the Union Army. He never came back from the war.”

Joshua was quick, I’ll give him that. “I wanted to surprise you, Ma.”

She reached up and stroked his face. “You’re a good boy, Matthew.”

“Why don’t you show me what you’re making?” He knelt beside her rocker and gave Thaddeus a look I didn’t understand.

“Where’s your Ma and Pa?” Thaddeus asked me.

“Ma gets migraines.” His look was questioning, so I explained. “She gets real bad headaches. She gets sick, and it hurts so much she can’t do much of anything except try to sleep. She’s sleeping now. Pa went to Fort Collins to work and get supplies for us. He’s supposed to be back any day.”

“Any day,” Thaddeus repeated. He thought about that for a second, and then he looked over to Joshua, who gave him another look back. It seemed to me that they had a whole conversation without saying a word. Joshua stood up, kissed Grandma’s hand, and asked her if she’d like him to make some tea for her. She couldn’t stop smiling at him.

“Let’s talk for a minute,” Thaddeus said. He and Joshua and I moved over to the stove, and the girls followed silently.

“You ever been in a Colorado snowstorm before, Tom?” he asked. I shook my head no, and the girls did the same.

“We’re from Indianapolis,” Bitsy told him. “We’ve seen snowstorms before.”

“Winter’s different here,” Joshua said. “In Colorado, you can get feet of snow in one day. And that’s what’s happening now.”

“But it’s only October!” Mary protested. “It’s too early.”

“Early for Indianapolis maybe,” Thaddeus said. “Perfect time for the first big storm in Colorado. The good thing is, it’ll probably melt next week. Once winter really sets in, you can have twenty feet of snow on the ground till May.”

The girls and I were silent while we digested this. I won’t lie to you; I was scared. Looking at the girls, I could tell they were scared, too, even though, at this point, we didn’t understand the implications. I think Thaddeus, especially, understood what we were feeling, because he was very gentle about explaining it to us.

“It means that we’re going to be spending a few days together here, getting to know each other. Your Pa won’t be able to get through; he’ll be staying in Fort Collins. Do you think you can put up with me and Joshua?”

“If you don’t mind snoring, that is,” Joshua added. “When Thaddeus snores, the walls shake.”

They were both smiling at us. I can’t tell you what it was about them, but I trusted them, and I felt safe with them. The girls were crying a little, but they were smiling, too, through their tears.

“Alright, then. We’ll talk with your Ma when she’s feeling better. Meanwhile, let’s check out your supplies and wood. We’ll need plenty wood to keep that stove going.”

“We got lots of supplies,” Mary put in. She was only eight years old, “cute as a button,” as my Pa said. “I’ll show you.” Thaddeus took her hand, and she led him over to what passed for our kitchen area.

“Want to show me the woodpile?” Joshua asked me. “We’ll need to bring some more in for the stove. Might as well do it now, before we have to wade through three feet of snow.”

He and I put our coats back on and went outside. The wind was howling. Snow seemed to fall sideways. We went around to the back, and we both loaded our arms with wood.

Back inside, he and I organized the logs into a neat pile before taking off our coats. He was smiling, making small talk, but something about his expression worried me. Thaddeus and Mary had made tea, and us men sat down at the table. Mary gave tea to Grandma, who accepted it politely, as if Mary was a stranger. Bitsy took tea into Ma’s room.

“You’re the man of the house right now, are you?” Thaddeus asked me. I just shrugged. I felt very young in the presence of these two capable men.

“Here’s the thing,” he said. “Your supplies, your wood pile, are lower than they should be.” My feelings must have shown on my face, because he hurried to reassure me. “We’re not in trouble now. Joshua and me, we bought plenty food in Laramie before we headed south. There’s enough for a couple weeks. Not enough for the whole winter. Not enough stores, definitely not enough wood.”

“Pa’s coming back with supplies,” I protested. “We’ll be okay.”

“We’re good for now,” Joshua said. “But we need to have a serious talk with your parents. There’s an awful lot of work to be done here, more’n you can imagine. Colorado ain’t Indianapolis.”

“We’ll chop some more wood for you. If the weather breaks, we can hunt a deer, get you some meat that’ll last for a while. Can’t do much else until this blow passes.”

“I can chop the wood,” I told him. “I’m not a child.”

“No, you’re not. That’s why you need to stay inside and take care of the womenfolk. Think you can do that?”

Of course, I could. They got dressed to go out again, teasing each other, telling little jokes, and making us all laugh. Even Grandma seemed to understand.

“Be careful, Matthew!” she called, as Joshua went out. “The Rebs are everywhere.”

“I will, Ma,” he answered. “I got Thaddeus here to watch my back.” And they went out.

“Are we safe, Tom?” Bitsy asked me.

“Of course, we are,” I said. “They’re helping us already, aren’t they?”

“What’s Ma going to say?”

“I don’t know.”

Almost as if on cue, Ma emerged, shakily, from her bedroom, followed by Mary. Bitsy jumped up.

“Ma! Are you feeling better?” Something stirred in Grandma. She put her knitting down and stood.

“What is wrong with you, Faith?” she asked. “Are you sick again?”

“I was, Mother,” Ma said, settling into a chair. “I feel better now. The tea revived me.” She frowned. “What’s that sound?”

“The wind, Ma. There’s a blizzard right now. It’s bad out.”

“No, it’s . . . it sounds like someone chopping wood.” Suddenly, she jumped up from her chair. “Is your father here?”

“No, Ma,” Bitsy said. “That’s Joshua and Thaddeus. They’re chopping wood for our stove.”

“Who?”

“Joshua and Thaddeus. I was stranded out by the fences in the snow, and they found me and brought me home. Now they’re stranded, too, so I said they could stay until after the storm.” Yes, I embroidered the story a bit.

“You let strangers into our home? What were you thinking? Wait until your father gets here.”

“Take a look outside, Ma. Pa won’t get here anytime soon. I’m lucky – we’re all lucky – those two found me, and they’re helping us. We’re all stranded here, now.”

“We’ll see about that.” When she went to open the door, a gust of wind slammed the door against the wall. Snow blew in, like an unwelcome guest. I had to help her shove the door closed again.

“I wish we never left home,” Mary said. We all turned to look at her, and she was standing still, tears running down her sweet face. “I want to go back to Indiana.”

Ma was leaning against the door. “Well, we can’t. Tom is right; we’re stranded here, but at least we’re together.”

“We aren’t together,” Mary said. She was crying harder. “Pa’s gone.”

Grandma got out of her rocker and went over to Mary. Grandma got down on her knees, and Mary flung her arms around Grandma’s neck and sobbed. The rest of us just stood and watched. I think we were all stunned that Grandma had a moment of clarity. You never knew when that would happen.

“Is anyone hungry?” Ma asked. “I know I am.” We all were hungry. She started to prepare food, with Bitsy helping. Grandma sat in her rocker again, with Mary in her lap.

It was only about half an hour later when we heard someone kicking at the door. I rushed to open it. Both Joshua and Thaddeus had arms full of wood. Snow blew around them. They stumbled in, both shivering with the cold, coughing and sneezing. Even standing there, arms full of wood, melting snow dripping off their hats and coats, they noticed Ma.

“Sorry to make such a mess, Mrs. Hartley,” Thaddeus said. “It’s bad out there.”

My Ma was a proper lady, even when she was confronted by two male strangers in her own home.

“Tom was just telling me about you. Please don’t apologize when you’re helping us out.”

“Let’s get this settled, Thaddeus,” Joshua said, “Then we can introduce ourselves properly.”

I jumped up to help them.

“That’s a lot,” I said. “You sure were busy.”

“We got one more load to bring in,” Joshua said. “Sorry, Mrs. Hartley. There’s no way to do this without trailing in snow and dirt.” Ma’s mouth opened and closed a couple times. I thought, she was all ready to be angry, and here they were, all polite and helpful.

They were back with another load of wood, both of them staggering under the weight. Bitsy closed the door behind them, and I helped them unload onto our wood pile. They hung their coats and hats on the wall pegs and pulled off their boots, while I added logs to the stove. By the time we all sat down at the table, the stove was belching waves of heat, and I could see the trail of snow they’d brought inside was melting and drying up.

“Bitsy, get some tea for our guests,” Ma said.

“Thank you, Mrs. Hartley,” Joshua said, “but if you don’t mind, we’ve got coffee in our kits. I think we need something real strong to take the chill out.”

“Of course, if you prefer,” Ma said. “I’m afraid we’ve run out of coffee.”

“We got plenty, ma’am, if you’d like some too.”

And so, we sat together – Joshua and Thaddeus, me, and Ma. Grandma gently released Mary from her lap and walked over to join us, placing her hand on Joshua’s shoulder.

“Are you going to stay for a while, Matthew?” she asked. Ma’s eyes got big. Just like before, Joshua had a quick answer.

“Sure am. Can’t go nowhere in this storm.”

We sat down together, all the adults and me, and got to know each other, a little. I’d been nervous about how Ma would receive our guests, but they were charming and friendly, and I could tell she was feeling better. They told her how they were travelling from Laramie to Denver, and then on to Texas for the winter, and that they had jobs waiting for them with a rich Texan named McCreedy.

“We like to spend winters down south,” Joshua explained. “We wintered in Wyoming once, and that convinced us to take this job in Texas.”

Ma explained how my Pa had bought the property, his plans, everything.

“We both wanted a fresh start,” she said. “We sold everything we had in Indianapolis. We had to borrow from my brother to buy this place. We just jumped.”

“A leap of faith,” Thaddeus said. “Like it says in Corinthians in the Good Book: “For we live by faith, not by sight.”

“Yes! I see you’re a Christian, Thaddeus.”

Even if the dim light, I could see Thaddeus blush. “I can’t rightly claim to be, Ma’am. I’m not a churchgoer.”

“We don’t go to church, out here in the wilds, but we’re still Christians,” Ma said. “I’m sure it’s the same for you.”

Thaddeus’ blush deepened. Joshua jumped in.

“Even those who take a leap, ma’am, usually look first. Me and Thaddeus got some concerns that you aren’t prepared for a long winter here. Your stores are mighty short, and it’ll take weeks to chop enough wood to last you through till May.”

“We have faith, Joshua, even if you don’t.”

“There’s another saying I’ve heard, not from the Bible, though,” Thaddeus said. “God helps those who helps themselves. Far as I understand it, we still got to do the work, even with God’s help.”

“Well. I’ll let you men work it out with my husband, when he gets here. Meantime, the girls and I should start thinking about dinner.”

And so, they stayed for dinner. And for breakfast, and supper, for the next week. They spread their bedrolls on the floor. The girls and I shared the loft, and Ma and Grandma shared the bedroom. We found different ways to pass the time. We played cards and checkers. We went outside in the cold and made snowmen and had snowball fights. We read stories out loud for each other, although, after Joshua started reading from his book of Edgar Allen Poe, Ma decided that was too scary for us children. We told stories. We sang songs. The women sewed and cooked, and we men chopped wood, tended to the horses, and went hunting for rabbits (successful) and deer (unsuccessful). Even though we rarely went further than the barn, it felt like a holiday to me. I loved being with men who seemed to know so much. They were like the big brothers I’d never had.

Thaddeus was right about the thaw. One week after they arrived, we awoke to warmer temperatures and the steady drip, drip, drip of melting snow and ice. The temperature was almost balmy. Ma started going out, she said to check on things, but really, I knew she was looking for Pa to arrive.

One early morning, I went out with Joshua and Thaddeus to hunt deer. When we returned in the afternoon, with a freshly-killed doe across the back of Joshua’s horse, I saw Pa’s gelding tied up at the cabin. I leaped off Thaddeus’ horse and ran in at top speed.

Pa must have arrived hours earlier, because everyone was so casual, doing daily, normal things. I flung myself on him, and he held me tight, stroking my hair.

When Joshua and Thaddeus came in, I had calmed down. Pa stood up to shake hands with them, and they sat down with him. Pa told them how grateful he was they’d been around to help out his family, and they told him how grateful they were to be accepted and taken in during the storm. It was an easy, comfortable time. After they and my parents had swallowed what seemed like a gallon of coffee, I could tell the conversation was turning serious.

“Faith tell me that you don’t think we can survive winter here, as we are.”

I saw another silent conversation pass between the two. Joshua, who, as I’d learned, had a silver tongue, spoke up.

“Colorado winters aren’t harder and longer thank you think, sir; they’re harder and longer than you can imagine, being from Indiana. You have to figure you’ll be on your own, alone, for months, with no hope of leaving. You’d be wise to stay in Fort Collins over the winter and come back here in spring.”

My mother sucked in her breath. Even Pa looked worried.

“I recognize that you’ve got more experience than me,” Pa said, “but the truth is, we don’t have the funds. No, we have to make a go of it here.”

Money was always the final word in any argument. That seemed to be that.

The next day, Joshua and Thaddeus saddled up their horses and bid us a fond farewell, handing us their final can of coffee as a gift. Two days later, Ma went to spoon out coffee from that can. Mixed in with the coffee grounds were five $20 gold pieces. With that money, we were able to spend winter in Fort Collins. The following year, we returned, better prepared, and we never left.

We never stopped hoping we’d see Smith and Jones again, but we never did. But just in case we hosted their relatives at the dude ranch we set up here, we always give anyone named Smith or Jones one free night of lodging. Even now, in the middle of this Depression in the country, we’ll keep giving that discount. We’ll take care of their families, like they took care of us.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar    Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Hannibal Heyes paced the cabin as he thought. Ten steps. Turn. Ten steps. Turn.

Kid Curry sighed as he finished polishing the barrel of his Colt after cleaning it. “Heyes, if you told me what you were thinkin’ so hard on, maybe I could help.”

Ten steps. Turn. Five steps. Stop. Heyes raked his fingers through his hair. “The bank job at Rock Springs.”

“What about it? You’ve been plannin’ that one for some time.” Curry stood up and poured coffee in mugs, handing one to his partner.

“We need a distraction. A loud distraction ‘cause I’m figuring we’ll have to blow the safe.”

“A loud distraction…” the Kid pondered.

“A loud distraction,” Heyes confirmed.

“What kinda safe is it that you’ll have to blow it?”

“A Brooker 404.”

“You know what you need, Heyes?”

“What?”

“A distraction of your own. Need a break from thinkin’ so hard and it’ll come to you. Besides, the boys are gettin’ restless.”

“Maybe you’re right. A few games of poker and some female distraction might be just what I need.”

“Definitely what I need.” Curry smiled. “I’ll tell the boys to saddle up.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Devil’s Hole Gang road into Kerwin like they owned the town. The merchants smiled as they saw the gang arrive, knowing they’d have some business. The jail windows were still boarded up. A few gals on the saloon’s second floor balcony began lecherous calling to the gang.

“Good idea, Kid. This’ll do us all some good,” Heyes stated as he tied the reins around a hitching post in front of the saloon.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Devil’s Hole Gang spent their money freely in Kerwin purchasing supplies, gambling, outfitting themselves, hot baths, drinking, and on female distractions.

Sitting in on a poker game, Heyes chewed on the end of a cigar as he contemplated his cards.

Kid Curry came down the stairs and nodded to his partner before going to the bar for two drinks.

“Think I’ll fold for now.” Heyes gathered the money in front of him. “Heard there’s a lovely young lady waiting for me.” He winked and smiled before joining the Kid.

“How’s the boys?” Curry handed Heyes a drink.

“Behaving.” Heyes swallowed the whiskey and looked up the stairs.

“She’s waitin’ for you.” The Kid smiled and took the empty glass.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kyle left the faro game and headed outside, going down an alley to the outhouse. An older man in a wagon was nearby letting his horse drink from a trough.

When Kyle left the outhouse, the man called over to him. “Hey mister, can you spare some money?”

Kyle spit some chaw and walked over to the wagon. “No money, old timer?”

The man cupped a hand to his ear and cocked his head to the side. “What’d you say?”

“No money, old timer?” Kyle said louder.

“Nope. Sure could use a drink and some vittles.”

“I think I can spare some.” Kyle fished in his pocket and handed the man some coins.

“Much appreciated.” The man nodded in thanks.

“Oh, don’t think nothin’ of it. There’s more where that came from.” Kyle glanced casually into the back of the wagon, then turned to face the stranger, his expression puzzled. “What’s that you got there?”

“Are you tellin' me that you don't recognize my little pride and joy? The man stroke it lovingly as he spoke. “That’s a mortar from the war. Lost a lotta my hearin’ from firin’ it.”

“Where’d you get it?” Kyle spoke loud.

“Took it as a souvenir when the war was over. This little lady was the love of my life and I was real good at it my job, too. Always hit what I aimed at,” he boasted, pride evident in his voice.

“The Kid does, too.”

“What’d you say?”

“I… I probably shouldn’t be sayin’. The Kid wouldn’t be too happy with me.”

“The Kid? Who’s that?”

“Well, he’s…” Kyle looked down and shuffled his boots. “You ain't any kinda lawman, are you, mister?”

“Do I look like a lawman?”

Kyle really looked at the man. He was fifty, if not older, of slight build with white hair sticking out. His clothes were dusty and had seen better days.

“I guess not. We don’t care much for lawmen.”

“We?” The man looked around.

“Me and my gang,” Kyle explained.

“You wanted?” the man asked.

“There ain’t a wanted poster on me, if that’s what you’re askin’. Name’s Kyle Murtry.” He stuck out his hand and grinned.

The two shook hands as the old man introduced himself. “Godehard Von Brickewald.”

Kyle's eyes widened. “Dang - what a mouthful - that’s worse'n Hannibal Heyes!”

The man smiled. “Most folks just call me Brick.”

“Brick. That’s a lot easier. Heyes just goes by Heyes 'cause he hates his first name.”

The old man pondered his new friend's words a moment. “Hannibal Heyes and the Kid… You part of the Devil’s Hole Gang?”

Kyle looked around. Seeing no one, he quietly said, “Yeah. You gotta problem with that?” His hand hovered over his gun.

“Nope. You haven’t done me wrong.”

“Well, don’t be sayin’ it too loud. Folks 'round here in Kirwin don’t mind us comin’ to town, but we ain’t supposed to be braggin’ 'bout who we are.”

“I won’t tell no one.”

“Say, does that work?” Kyle pointed to the mortar.

“Of course, it does. Wouldn’t be traipsing around the West with it if it didn’t.”

“Whoo wee… Sure would love to set it off sometime. What do you use?”

“In the war I use mortar shells. Still got a few of them left. Good for fireworks, too.”

Kyle puffed out his chest as he bragged. “I got me some of the good stuff – you know, dynamite. Could we light it and shoot that up?”

Brick scratched his head. “Never did it before, but I don’t know why not.”

“Why dontcha come on in with me and I’ll buy you a drink and some vittles.”

“Well…”

“Come on.” Kyle put an arm around the man and steered him towards the saloon. “They ain’t the best vittles, but they do hit the spot.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes came down the stairs, tucking in his shirt tails and glancing around the room. He went towards a table in the back of the saloon where the Kid sat with a gal on his lap.

Seeing his partner, Curry whispered in her ear and she left with a smile.

“Where’s everyone?” Heyes sat down and poured a drink from a bottle on the table.

“Still behavin’ themselves. I walked around town checkin’ less than an hour ago. Saw Kyle out back talkin’ to an old man.”

“We need to be worried?”

“No. Kyle smiled and waved at me.”

“Know who he is?” Heyes asked before sipping his drink.

“Nope, but it didn’t look like no lawman I’ve ever seen.”

“Maybe I’ll go for a walk.” Heyes stood and stretched.

“I’ll join you… just in case.”

The two outlaws walked out of the saloon and down an alley.

“They were this a way.” Kid Curry pointed.

Heyes squinted in the bright sunlight. “Is that dynamite in Kyle’s hand?”

“What?”

The Devil’s Hole Gang leaders hurried quickly over to the wagon.

“Kyle, what in tarnation you think you’re doin?” the Kid asked, exasperated.

Kyle turned around and nodded at each man. “Oh, howdy, Heyes. Howdy, Kid. This is my new friend, Brick and his mortar.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Heyes, Mr. Curry.” Brick held out his hand.

“Kyle…” Heyes hissed under his breath.

“It’s okay, Heyes,” Kyle hastened to assure his leader. “Brick ain’t a lawman. He was a soldier in the war and got to fire off this mortar all the time. Ain’t he lucky!? Well, maybe not too lucky since he lost some of his hearin’ on account of it.”

“Nice to meet you, Brick.” Heyes, followed by Curry, shook his hand.

“So, this thing still works?” the Kid asked.

“Sure does.”

Kyle spit some chaw. “Now would he be traipsin’ all around the West with it if it didn’t, Kid?”

Heyes furrowed his brow. “What do you put in it, Brick?”

“Oh, he has some mortar shells and he's shot off fireworks, too. We’re gonna try dynamite right now!” Kyle answered excitedly for his new friend.

“Dynamite? Is that safe?” Kid Curry hitched his thumbs under his belt.

“Gotta admit I’ve never tried it before,” Brick shrugged, “but don’t see why not.”

“Fireworks… Where do you get fireworks?” Heyes asked.

“There’s a “china man” shop in Rock Springs that sells them in the back. Come all the way from China.”

“Fireworks in Rock Springs…” Heyes pondered.

“Heyes, are you thinkin’ what I’m thinkin’? Curry smiled.

“I believe I am.” Heyes smiled. “Brick, would you be willing to sell your mortar?”

“Sell my baby?” Brick looked mortified as he placed himself between the wagon and the two men.

“How about loaning it out… say for a hundred dollars?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A month later, Wheat, Kyle, and Brick were on the outskirts of Rock Springs where the Chinese lived.

“That’s right,” Wheat told the shop keeper. “I want to light a few and see what they’ll look like before I buy a whole passel of ‘em. I even have a mortar here to shoot them up with.”

“You buy them.” The shop keeper demanded.

“Of course!” Wheat pulled out some money. “We’ll shoot off five of ‘em in about…” Wheat pulled out his watch. “In about ten minutes.”

“Whoo wee!” Kyle exclaimed. “This’ll be fun!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry finished fastening the dynamite to the front of the Brooker 404 and were laying out a long fuse.

Heyes glanced at his watch. “Two more minutes.”

“Don’t know why you didn’t have Kyle in here,” grumbled the Kid.

“And make him miss out on using Brick’s mortar? Kid, he'd never let us forget it!” Heyes checked the time again. “One more minute. C'mon, we'd better get behind the counter.”

The two outlaws squatted behind the bank counter and Heyes lit a match, igniting the fuse.

Whistle… BANG!

“Right on time!” Heyes put a hand on his partner’s shoulder.

Whistle… BANG!!

Whistle… BANG!!

BOOM!!

Whistle… BANG!!

Whistle… BANG!!

“C'mon, Heyes, let’s go get the money!”

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar    Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feb 20 Bricks and Mortar
Page 1 of 1