Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Empty
PostSubject: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 am

(Whoops, posted this in wrong place - good job someone is watching :))

Well Well Well…

Here we are at the start of another year hapny hapny ... This is the thirteenth year of the Bandanny Challenge.

(No, where did it all go??? Am I really THIS middle aged?? )

So, for January, please bend your fertile imaginations around the topic of;

'Lucky Thirteen'

Enjoy... and do play
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm first out of the gate, and I made it with 2,996 words. Yay me!

In case anybody is wondering -- this is a one-off. This is not part of a longer piece, and I have no plans to expand it. I got too many other things I haven't finished!

-------------------------------
“Sometimes I don’t understand you.”

Wheat Carlson turned around to face his partner.

“What’re you saying?”

“I’m saying, sometimes I just don’t understand you.”

Carlson slowed his horse to let his diminutive partner catch up.

“What kind of tomfoolery are you talking now?”

Kyle Murtree straightened up in his saddle. Somehow it made him almost eye level with his taller companion.

“You still ain’t told me why we got all this or what we’re doing with it way out here in the middle of nowhere.” Murtree gestured to the mule whose reins he held. The animal was weighted down with packages and gear.

“Do you got to know everything?”

“I’m your partner. By rights I ought to know everything.”

Carlson snorted. His thick mustache quivered.

“You’ll know soon enough.” A new thought occurred to him. “Think of it like it’s a surprise. You like surprises, don’t you?”

Murtree considered. “No, don’t think I do.”

“You do so. You like birthday surprises. Remember how much fun we had in Durango on your birthday last year? The little man brightened. A brown-toothed smile crossed his dirty face.

“Yeah, sure do. That was some birthday surprise.” The smile faded. “It ain’t my birthday today. Or did you forget?”

“’Course not. How could I ever forget my partner’s birthday? I was just saying . . . “ his words trailed off.

“What?”

Carlson turned forward again. “Never you mind. Just be patient, alright? I got my reasons. Partners are supposed to trust each other. You ain’t saying you don’t trust me, are you?”

“Nope.” He sighed. “I just wish you’d tell me where we’re going with all this food and supplies.”

“We’ll be there soon.”

Murtree looked around at the desolate landscape. The land might’ve been fertile once, but no longer. The signs of drought were everywhere. Native grasses were baked brown. The few trees drooped under the weight of their dying leaves. The tumbleweeds that crossed the trail ahead kicked up dust.

“Can’t be any ‘there’ in this kind of country. I sure feel sorry for anyone trying to make a go of a ranch around here. They’d be bust by now, or close to.”

Carlson only grunted.

“Hold up a minute. I need a drink.”

Both horses stopped. Murtree took a long drink from his canteen.

“You want some?”

“Yeah, might as well.”

“Well, looky that.”

Carlson looked around. “Lookit what?”

“There’s a mile post with a sign on it.” He squinted. “What’s it say, Wheat?”

“It says, Welcome to the Lucky 13 Ranch.”

“Looks like more’n that. What else does it say?”

“It says, For Sale by owner.”

“Lucky 13? Must be some kind of joke, right?”

Wheat ignored the question. “Give me that canteen, will you? Or you expecting me to dry up like one of them tumbleweeds?”

“’Course not. We’s partners, ain’t we?”

“You got that right.” Carlson took a drink, then wiped his mouth with his hand. Passing the canteen back, he gave Murtree a hard look.

“You know, I said you didn’t have to come with me. I coulda done this errand all by my lonesome.”

“Uh-uh. Bad things happen when we split up. You need me to watch your back.”

Carlson gave his partner a rare warm smile. “I s’pose you’re right. And I do appreciate it, Kyle. I surely do.”

“Well, then. Let’s get going. I cain’t wait to see this surprise you got for me.”

Only about ten minutes later, the men crested a gentle hill and saw buildings and a corral below. They paused, hands crossed on their pommels, and took a good look at the place.

“Is that where we’re going, Wheat?”

“Yep. The Lucky 13 ranch.”

“I sure don’t see anything lucky about it. Them buildings look like the next strong wind might knock them down.”

“We’re bringing them some luck. C’mon.” Carlson gently urged his horse forward, and Murtree followed on the path that led to a small cabin. They were at the hitching post when the cabin’s front door slammed open and a young man came out and shouted at them.

“I don’t believe my eyes! I never thought I’d see you here again!”

Carlson jumped down from his horse and almost ran up to the young men. They pulled each other into a bear hug and pounded each other’s backs.

“How you doing, boy?”

The man pushed Carlson back. “I’m doing better, seeing’s as you’re here. I can’t believe it!” He looked over Carlson’s shoulder, where Kyle sat on his horse, observing the reunion.

“Who’s your friend?”

“This here’s my partner, Kyle. He’s helping me bring a few items for you and Martha.”

The man seemed to notice the mule for the first time. A series of expressions crossed his face, from surprise to gratitude to embarrassment.

“Did you bring that for us, Soren?” Carlson only grinned, like a proud papa. “You know I can’t accept that. Things bought with stolen money, money stolen from dirt farmers like us. . . “ He looked at the ground, unable to meet Carlson’s face.

“You got nothing to worry about, Eric. Them’s all from poker winnings. Kyle here, he was with me when I found me some miners who don’t know nothing about cards. Tell him, Kyle.”

“That’s right. Wheat cleaned out some miners when we was in Silverton. He played fair and square, and he took home the whole pot, and he didn’t spend any of it on the usual. It’s the God-honest truth.”

“Kyle, this here is Eric. Him and his wife Martha, they own this ranch. Where is Martha, anyway? She ain’t hiding from me, is she?”

“Not from you, just from strangers. Nobody comes out here. I sent her down to the root cellar to be safe, while I figured out who was visiting. I’ll go get her.” He went back into the cabin.

Kyle got down from his horse. “He seems like a right nice feller. How’d you meet up with him?”

“Just you wait a minute.” He tied his horse’s reins to the rail. Kyle did the same with his horse and the mule.

Eric returned, holding the hand of a thin young woman wearing a faded calico dress and a soiled apron.

“Martha, you remember my big brother Soren, don’t you?”

She wiped her hands on her apron. She did not smile.

“The brother from the Devil’s Hole Gang. Yes, I remember.”

Wheat and Kyle removed their hats.

“You’re looking fine, Martha. This here’s my partner, Kyle Murtree. Kyle, say hello to Mrs. Carlson.”

Kyle’s wide eyes went from Martha to Wheat to Eric and back to Martha again before he found his voice. “How do, Mrs. Carlson. I’m right pleased to meet you. Sorry I ain’t more presentable. Wheat didn’t tell me we was meeting a lady.”

A pleading look from Eric prompted Martha to remember her manners.

“It’s a pleasure, I’m sure. Won’t you two come in out of this hot sun?”

“Thankee, Martha, we sure will. It’s like a furnace out here.”

Inside the cabin, the three men sat down at a wooden table.

“I just made coffee,” she said. “I expect you’d like to wet your whistles.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Carlson,” Kyle said. “That’s right neighborly of you.”

Martha set out four coffee cups and poured the coffee. Kyle jumped up and pulled out a chair for her.

“No sugar,” she said, settling into the chair Kyle held for her. “We ran out a while back.” Wheat looked directly at Eric, who averted his eyes.

“You get used to black coffee,” Eric said. “We found out we didn’t really need sugar after all.” Wheat looked at his cup with a noticeable lack of enthusiasm before taking a reluctant sip. Kyle didn’t hesitate.

“That sure hits the spot, Mrs. Carlson. I cain’t imagine how you make plain old coffee taste so good.”

“What nice manners you have, Mr. Murtree,” she said. “Did your mother teach you?”

Kyle nodded vigorously. “Yes, ma’am, she shore did. We was a big family, and she said the only way we’d ever get along is being polite to each other.”

“Did you know, Eric comes from a big family, too – 13 children. And yes, before you ask, that’s how the ranch got its name.”

“I was wonderin’ about that.”

“Your mother would be proud of you, I think.”

“Yeah, he’s a real prince. So how are things, Eric?” Wheat asked. “Give me the truth. Don’t sugarcoat nothing.”

Eric sighed. “As you can see, Mr. Murtree, my family members weren’t taught to be polite like yours were. My big brother doesn’t like to beat around the bush.”

“Family got to be straight with each other, too,” Kyle said. “Who else can you trust with the truth?”

“I’d like to tell you everything’s fine,” Eric said, “but you can tell they aren’t just by looking around. We’re in our third year of drought.” He reached for Martha’s hand. “All the old-timers say it’s the worst they’ve ever seen. When we do get rain, we get a flash flood that washes away what’s left of the topsoil, and it’s back to drought.”

“How’re you making it then?”

“We’re not. How’s that for telling the truth to your family, Kyle? We’re not making it. We’re on slim rations, us and the horses. Only two of them left. We had to sell the sheep at a loss. No grazing around here anymore. Martha does wonders with what little we have, but I don’t know how much longer even she can keep making silk purses out of sow’s ears.”

“You don’t got to worry for now, at least. That mule’s loaded with supplies. It’s all for you.”

Martha and Eric both sat up straighter and opened their mouths to speak. Wheat held up one hand.

“Don’t you say nothing. You’re taking it all, and that’s the end of it. We’re family, and family got to watch out for family. You’d do the same for me, if you was in my place and I was in yours.”

“It’s too much, Soren. We can’t accept it. We can’t pay you back.”

“Who said anything about paying me back? Our mam always told me to take care of the little ones. She’d come back to haunt me if I didn’t help you out in lean times. Besides, this drought can’t last forever.”

Martha and Eric exchanged glances. “It doesn’t have to last forever,” he said. “We’re just about cleaned out. If we could sell . . . we’re about to be foreclosed by the bank.”

“We seen the for sale sign out yonder on the road,” Kyle said.

Eric nodded. “We’ll never get back what we spent to buy this place, but at least, we’d like to have some money so we could start again somewhere else. A fresh start. The way things are now, we’re stuck. We can’t sell, and we don’t have enough money to go.”

“Take a look around,” Martha said. “The shelves and the cupboards are empty. Not even sugar, as you’ve seen. We’ve sold everything we can sell, trying to pay the mortgage, and we’re still too far behind to ever catch up.”

“We’re gonna fill them shelves and cupboards for you,” Wheat said. “We brung plenty of supplies. What that mule’s carrying ought to get you through at least a couple more months. Ain’t that right, Kyle?”

“Wheat’s right – I mean, Soren’s right,” Kyle said. He ignored the look Wheat gave him. “We brung ever’thing anybody might need – we got flour and sugar and coffee and salt and all sorts of canned goods. Wheat bought a big salt ham that was hanging over at the butcher shop, and a whole lot more. We even got bolts of fabric. Them shelves and cupboards, they’re gonna be full up now.”

“And cash, too.” Wheat added. “I figured the bank was after you. There’s enough to catch you up, and then some.”

Martha burst into tears. Stunned, Wheat and Kyle sat still, shock on their faces. Eric got up to hug her, but she pushed him away and ran outside, still sobbing. Eric stood next to his chair, dismay written across his face.

“I better go after her,” he said.

“Yeah, I guess you better,” Wheat told him. Eric ran outside to follow Martha, slamming the door behind him. The sound seemed to echo in the sudden quiet. Finally, Kyle spoke.

“Soren?”

Wheat’s tanned face couldn’t disguise his blush. “Yeah.”

“What kind of name is that?”

“Swedish. Our folks come here from Sweden.” He pointed an insistent finger at Kyle. “Don’t you never tell no one that name.”

Kyle shrugged. “Makes no nevermind to me. You want some more coffee?”

“Damn it!” Wheat slammed his fist on the table so hard, the coffee cups shook. “No, I don’t want no more damn coffee!”

“Well, if you ain’t thirsty no more, how’s about we get that mule unpacked and settle the animals? They’s plumb wore out, same as us. We can get our bedrolls set up in the barn, too. And after that, we can get dinner started. Everything looks better on a full stomach, that’s what I say.”

Wheat released a deep sigh.

“Alright, Kyle. Alright.”

“That looks like a good spot.”

“Ain’t no good spot when you’re sleeping in a barn.”

Kyle lay his bedroll down on a layer of straw. “We done slept in a lot worse. Seems mighty fine to me. ‘Sides, it’s only for one night, right? We got to return that mule you rented back to the livery.”

“Right. Can’t have no one think we’s horse thieves.” Wheat lay his bedroll down across from Kyle’s. “Just make sure you don’t snore too much.”

“If I do, you’ll wake me up, same’s you always do.”

“Damn right I will.”

“Now that’s all done, all we got to do is rustle up supper.” As if in response, Wheat’s stomach growled loudly.

“You ever know me to turn down a meal?”

“No sirree bob.”

“Let’s get to it, then.” But Wheat didn’t move away. Instead, he walked over to where his horse stood quietly in the stall. The animal knickered gently as he approached and stood still while he stroked the velvety nose a few times, then put his face against the horse’s broad neck.

“Maybe I should go see about supper. It’s gonna be dark soon.”

Wheat didn’t move. “Maybe you should.”

As he walked out from the barn and along the corral, Kyle noticed the sun was setting. The western sky was brilliantly lit with streaks of red. He paused, resting his arms on the fence and enjoying the view. The heat of the day was fading. A light breeze blew pleasantly, and he heard birds singing in the trees. He looked up and saw a hawk gliding soundlessly above him. Footsteps crunched in the dirt off to his right, and he saw Martha walking from the cabin. She stood next to him, mimicking his stance, her arms resting on the fence.

“It’s a beautiful, isn’t it?” she asked.

“Sure is. I mind what my ma used to say. ‘Red sky at night, traveler’s delight.”

“And, ‘red sky in morning, traveler, take warning.’” She smiled at him. “My mother said the same thing.”

They stood quietly side by side, watching the sun’s slow descent. Kyle looked at her. Her attention seemed fixed on the horizon.

“Ma’m.” She didn’t react. “Ma’am, I’m awful sorry we upset you today. Wheat didn’t mean no harm. You feelin’ any better?”

She gripped her hands together tightly and looked at the ground.

“I know he meant well, but all he’s done – it’s like putting a bandage on a mortal wound.” She turned to look at him. “I think you understand, Mr. Murtree. All this does is prolong the agony. Eric was ready to walk away, but now he says we can stay here longer. Maybe even wait out the drought.” Suddenly, her eyes were glistening with tears. “He says Soren has given us a fresh start. But I just want to leave. I want a real fresh start, in a town, with other people around. Not stuck in this godforsaken lonesome place anymore all by ourselves.”

“I sure am sorry, ma’am. I know ol’ Wheat, he weren’t aiming to make things worse for y’all.”

She nodded.

“Have you ever thought about a fresh start for yourself, Mr. Murtree?”

He blinked. “Ma’am?”

“Give up your life of crime. Leave Devil’s Hole. You could become an honest man again, once you get away from the influence of certain bad men.” She looked at the sunset again. Only a few rays of light lit the ranch. The night clouds were moving in.

He looked thoughtful. “I know some pretty good bad men back at Devil’s Hole, Ma’am. They’s my friends. I think I’d miss them real bad if I didn’t see them no more. ‘Sides, there ain’t much else I’m good at. I cain’t hardly read or write good enough to work nowhere except maybe a cattle drive, and the railroads, they’re shipping cattle now. Won’t be no drives to work on afore long. Guess I’m stuck.”

“Are you.” She wiped her eyes with the corner of her apron. “That makes two of us. I came out to tell you that dinner’s ready.” She went back to the cabin without a backwards glance. Her unhappiness seemed to linger in the air. Kyle’s shoulders drooped, and he rested his chin on his forearms. The sun sunk below the horizon. He raised his head and looked up at the sky. The first faint stars were twinkling.

He heard Wheat’s heavy footsteps.

“What’re you lookin’ at?” Wheat asked, joining him at the fence. “You’re just standing there like a cigar store Indian.”

“I was looking at the stars. Ain’t they pretty? Makes you feel like ever’thing’s right in the world.”

Wheat shook his head. “You know what, Kyle? Sometimes I don’t understand you.”

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Challenge: Luck Thirteen

Didn't think I was going to make it this month, kept pulling blanks until this morning.  Whew!

Destiny Cycle #21: Too Many Outlaws to a Cabin

“Eleven, twelve, thirteen-”

“What are you counting?”

“Pinecones. Thirteen—”

“On the ground or in the tree?”

“There’s thirty-two on the ground, thirteen-”

“Then in the tree,” came a chipper reply, followed by, “you getting anywhere near locking down your temper?”

“You interrupting isn’t helping.”

“What they do now?”

“What haven’t they done?”

“Well, I’m sure there is plenty they haven’t done.”

“Yeah? Name some.”

Silence stretched between the partners.

“Well?”

“You put me on the spot, I can’t think.”

“Go away,” Curry replied, raising his face to the tree, once more muttering numbers.

There came a clatter from above, and two pinecones plopped into the soft, brown nest of needles surrounding the tree.

“You already count that pair?”

“You come out here to rile me up further?” Curry snarled, not bothering to face his partner.

“Having heard you threatened,” there was a pause filled with a definite sarcastic snort, “to put anyone who followed you under the soil already alerted me you were riled.”

“Still, here you are.”

“Knew you wouldn’t put me under the soil.”

Blue eyes slowly lowered to Hannibal Heyes, casually standing with his thumbs tucked into his beltline, “you sure.”

“Out here, aren’t I.”

Folding his arms across his chest, Curry heaved out a chuffing sigh.

“Keep telling you to ignore them.”

“I can’t read the way you do.”

“Now, that isn’t true.” Heyes grinned, “I was there when you were taught how.”

“Heyes, I am not in the mood for you ‘bout now.”

The grin became a chuckle that earned Heyes a few well spat curse words, which only made him laugh louder. Taking a breath, he, at last, gasped, “I have a plan to rescue you.”

Shifting his weight to his heels, Curry raised his chin with a scowl.

Despite the gunfighter’s glare which, almost always, caused others to walk away, Heyes grinned heartily, saying, “been looking ‘round the Hole, and I’ve found enough supplies to build a comfy room in the back corner of the barn.”

“How big of a room?”

Rolling his lower lip through his teeth, Heyes answered, “10x10.”

“You planning on bunking there?”

A barking laugh erupted from Heyes, and he threw a quick look toward the Leader’s Cabin, “of course.”

“Then it isn’t going to work. ‘Cause after a few days, I would be ready to put you in the ground.” Jabbing a finger toward his and Heyes’ cabin, Curry shouted, “move them to the barn.”

Swallowing hard, Heyes’ mouth twisted to the side, and when he spoke, he looked a bit greenish, “can’t do that, I uhm...well, I can’t.”

“Oh, I know…” Curry rolled his eyes, “what makes you such a good leader is—”

“Stop!” Heyes shouted, “I already know it is foolish to let Kyle lead me on with such verbose praise.”

Curry’s nose wrinkled, “verbose is right.”

Heyes’ tongue flicked across his lower lip, and with a puckish toothy grin, he said, “You don’t know what verbose means, do you?”

Stepping up on Heyes, Curry jabbed an indignant, rigid finger in his pal’s chest. “You really thinking this is the time to be showing off.”

Heyes raised his eyebrows in response.

Curry jabbed him again, breathing into his face, “You want to show off, you figure out how to free us from living shoulder to shoulder with the entire gang.”

Above the turmoil rising from the leader’s cabin, the sharp thrum of a Jew’s Harp rang out, the twanging being somewhat recognizable as the ‘Rose of Alabama.’

“Damn it!” Curry barked, throwing his head back. “Lobo’s found that harp, again. I am not going back in there.”

Heyes studied the cabin, rubbing a palm along his jawline he muttered, “We could go to Lottie’s.”

“You want to try the passes this late in January?”

Releasing a chirking sound, Heyes shrugged, “shot down the barn idea, won’t go back inside, can’t have you killing off our gang. Doesn’t leave many choices.”

Curry stared loathingly at the cabin, for a long drawn out minute, before replying. “Fine, let’s try for Lottie’s.”

Heyes’ relaxed, full smile finally appeared, “Great! Let me tell the boys.”

“Don’t you dare.”

“Kid, we can’t just ride off.”

“And why not?”

“That’d be like us abdicating our leadership.”

“Really? Abdicating?”

“It’s when-”

“I know what it means.”

“You do??”

The blue eyes narrowed.

“Go on and inform them. Just make sure they know, we two...” he jabbed Heyes in the chest hard enough to set him back a step, “...are going, and they are not.”

“But, they will want to.”

“Are you their leader or not?”

A deep frown darkened Heyes’ face, pitting his dimple into his cheek.

“Well?”

“I’ll inform ‘em.”

------ASJ-------ASJ-------ASJ--------ASJ---------ASJ----------ASJ---------

“Didn’t expect to see so many fresh sets of tracks leading into Lottie’s this time of day,” Curry said, squinting under the noon sun reflecting off the glistening, ice-crusted snow.

“Has to be the cold,” Heyes responded, hastening after his partner for the Chicken Ranch’s front door, “I’m frozen clear through.”

“’Bout the same,” Curry answered, knocking snow from his boots against Lottie's front steps, the hollow thumping sounding unusually loud on the snow-blanketed day.

Their stomping had worked as well as knocking for when they looked up, a tiny, flamboyantly attired, full-figured lady had opened the door and was holding onto it eyeing the pair of them.

“Hello,” Curry said, glancing to Heyes before asking, “Lottie not welcoming her guests in?”

“Busy day, quite a few guests already inside.”

“And, now two more,” Heyes answered, a little too brightly, shouldering past his partner. “Don’t believe we’ve met before.”

Tilting her head, which was topped with piles and piles of golden curls, to the side, the woman peered up into Heyes’ face. “No, we haven’t, I wouldn’t be forgettin’ such a smile as yours.” She held up her dainty hand, the heavy rings adorning it, making it look even smaller.  “I’m Jenny Black.”

Taking the offered hand, Heyes brushed his lips across the back of it, “Hannibal Heyes, Ma’am.” He tipped his head toward his partner, “and this here’s Kid Curry. Mind inviting us in before we’re to stove up to do so?”

Stepping back, Jenny opened the door wide, “Heard of you.” Once they were in, she shut the door, flicking its brass lock into place. “And, mighty fine to meet you both.”

They nodded, pulling gloves, and unbuttoning their coats while peering at the thick, burgundy jacquard curtains somewhat muffling the cheerful sounds emitting from Lottie’s drinking and gambling parlor.  

“Noticed some good horses in the barn,” Kid said, his blue eyes flicking toward Jenny. “Who all is here?”

“Fraid I’m not much help,” she answered, a smile flitting across her face. “I haven’t been here long enough to learn the local's names.”

“Yet, you knew us. . .” Heyes said, glancing warily to Curry, “. . . and Lottie’s allowing you to mind the door.”

A kitten purr of laughter rolled from Jenny, “Ain’t you the suspicious one. Sugah, everyone knows y’alls names and, Lottie and me, we been pals, or as she would say bonne amis, for an awful long while. So, don’t you be frettin’ so.”

Heyes’ nose wrinkled, but Curry’s broad, cheerful smile appeared. “Nevermind Heyes, he is a born skeptic. It’s good to meet you, Miz. Jenny,” and saying this, he offered her his hand to shake.

“Oh, goodness, that’s too formal.” Reaching up, she pulled Curry into a full embrace, kissing him. “You just call me, Jenny, and I deem we’ll be dandy pals, right quick.”

Grinning like one bringing rare news, Curry chuckled, “betting we will.”

Turning to Heyes, Jenny raised one sharp eyebrow, tilting a bright blue eye up at him.

Bending, he obligingly planted a peck on her rounded cheek.

With a shake of her head, that set her curls to bobbing, she playfully sighed, “suppose it is a start.”

“It is,” he answered, and loosening some, offered her, his arm, “shall we join the others?”

Grinning wickedly, she leaned in close, “only in all good things.”

A soft snort escaped Heyes, “I might have to concede to friendship quicker than I was planning, Jenny, I just may.” Pulling back the curtains, he escorted Jenny in with the entire room turning to see who they might be.

Just off-center, near a Faro game, stood a bald man in an iron black suit, his pale eyes widening as they fell on Heyes and in return Heyes’ dark eyes did the same on recognizing the man as Hue Milton, a known take ‘em in dead sort of bounty hunter.

Without hesitation, Milton twisted, reaching for his pistol.

As he did, the room spun around Heyes, everything slowing down. He could see Sam behind the bar shouting a warning, gamblers and sporting gals turning, leaning, diving from being caught between Milton and his obvious target. Wrapping his arms about Jenny, Heyes flung himself to the side, pulling her from harm’s way while hollering “Kid, straight ahead.”

However, Curry did not need the warning as he had already locked on Milton and was pulling his Colt. Which would be the technical description of what Curry did, because he no longer felt the actual motion, only the weight of the Colt as he flung it forward with fire bursting from its muzzle.

Hue Milton flew back, blood spraying from his gun shoulder, his own bullet showering down ceiling plaster above where Heyes had been standing.

When Milton hit the floor, a collective gasp was exhaled by the room. Except, the bounty hunter was not done, and rolling to his side, he scrambled to his knees, and using both hands, he brought his own Colt back to bear on Kid Curry.  “Name of the law, I aim to arrest you.”

“Not tonight, Milton,” Curry answered, “drop your piece.”

“You’ll shoot me through if I do.”

“Not my style, although it's known to be yours.”

Milton’s pistol wavered, blood pumping from his wound, staining his shirtfront a dark merlot.

“You’ve lost this round, Milton.”

The pistol hit the floor with a hard thud, and heaving out a rattling groan, Milton pushed himself up, using the Faro table to leverage himself to his feet.

Stepping forward, Lottie’s face was near as red as her hair, “Monsieur, it be well known, I non allow huntin’ in mon place. Not ever!”

Gripping tight of the table's leather padded edge, Milton turned an ugly face to Lottie. “I have no care for what a well-dressed whore has to say.” Shoving himself up, he jerked a pistol from behind his back, but even as he stretched out his arm for Curry, a belching roar overwhelmed all other sounds and folding in half Milton dropped to the floor like a bag of potatoes.

Placing a smoking sawed-off shotgun on the tabletop, the faro dealer drawled, “It is uncouth to address a lady in such a horrid manner.”

His words breathed life back into the room, its inhabitants cheering agreement.

Disentangling himself from Jenny’s voluminous green silk dress, Heyes rose up, bringing the gasping blonde with him as Curry holstered his firearm.

Putting her hands on her ample hips, Lottie squealed, “Par Dieu, Doc! Now, moi has to call for the Law instead of the docteur.”

Standing, the dealer smoothed an errant lock of hair away, his entire face alight with mischief. “I’d say all you truly require is the undertaker.”

“You fully well know, it do not work that way, Monsieur Holliday,” Lottie answered, jabbing a finger directly at the thin, wide-shouldered man. “What is it goin’ cost moi to have you removed from the skillet, yet again?”

Snagging Lottie’s hand, Holliday pulled it to his mouth, kissing her palm, “Come now, Darlin’, ain’t I been your good luck charm?”

She shook her head, “Chér, I'd say as lucky as number thirteen, oui, that be what I’d say.”

“Ah, Chérie, how cruel you can be.” He grinned, kissing her palm again, “still, I am positive we shall come upon something.”

Shaking her head, but smiling, Lottie shouted, “Sam, send Mikey for the undertaker, then Sheriff Mills.” Pulling her hand from Holliday, she turned to the room, releasing a vivacious smile and a bird song laugh, she called out, “rest of y’all best be for huntin’ y’alls hidey holes.”

The room became unbelievably noisy as its occupants set to clearing out while exclaiming over what had occurred.

Heyes turned open-mouthed and wide-eyed to Curry, the pair briefly reliving the frigid two-day ride that had brought them here.

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Lucky 13

Hannibal Heyes ran his fingers through his hair, licked the tip of his pen, and scratched some more on the paper.  Kid Curry quietly took apart a rifle he had been meaning to clean for a week.  He rubbed and oiled the weapon until it gleamed.

Curry looked up hopeful when Heyes stood, only to sigh as coffee was just poured.  Glancing around the cabin, he spied Heyes’ Schofield and began cleaning it.  He was giving it a final polish when Heyes began to smile.

“Kid, I think I finally got it!  We’re robbing that train that runs from the mine to Silverton on Friday.  Got everyone’s jobs figured out, too.

“Why Friday?” the Kid asked as he poured more coffee into both cups.

“It doesn’t just have ore on Friday.  I have a source that said it’ll have $20,000 in its safe!”  Seeing his partner frowning, Heyes added, “Why not Friday?”

“Well, it’s just that it’s Friday the 13th.”

“And?”

“Well, you know how the gang feels about Friday the 13th bein’ bad luck.”

“True, but I know how the gang feels about $20,000, too.”  Heyes took a sip of coffee.  “I have it figured out – every last second – so it’ll be a smooth job.  No problems at all.”

“Oh, don’t go jinxin’ us, Heyes.”

“Besides, will they even know it’s the 13th?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“This Friday?” Wheat asked incredulous.

“Yeah, this Friday.”  Heyes stood with his feet apart and hands on hips.

“You know it’s the 13th, don’t you?”  Wheat shook his head.  “Why this Friday?”

“Because that’s when the safe will have $20,000!”

Kyle spit a chaw, almost missed the spittoon.  “I dunno, Heyes.  Friday the 13th is bad luck.”

“I have this job figured out perfectly.  What can go wrong?”

Curry shook his head.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Engine 13 sat in the rail yard gleaming in the sun.  Her polished metal shone as did the dark green boiler.  Red wheels were spotless.

Franklin Bowman gently ran his fingers along the side of the train engine as he walked around and did his inspection.  “How’s my Lucky 13 today?  Are you ready for a special shipment?”  He took out his hankie and polished away a spot of dirt.

“Hi, Uncle!”  A lanky young man walked up to the engine.

“Morning, George.  How’s my favorite nephew?”

George chuckled.  “Your only nephew!  I’m fine.  Ready for the day and all that it brings.”

“Is your friend coming with us?”

“Yep, Dan said he’d ride with us since he had the day off.  Bringing his Bessie, too.”  George climbed up into the engine compartment.

“Good… good!  I’ve never been robbed and I don’t aim to be today.”  Franklin continued his inspection.

“Looks like we got plenty of wood in the tender.”  George checked the water level.  “Probably need to top off the water.”

“Good idea.  We’ll do that before leaving the yard.”  Franklin joined his nephew in the cab.

“Hello!”

George looked down.  “Hi ya, Dan!  Thanks for coming.”

“I’ve been wanting to ride in the cab and watch how it all works.”  Dan checked out the engine.  “It sure is beautiful!”

“It’s a she – Lucky 13.  She’s the pride and joy of my Uncle Franklin.  Sometimes Auntie Peggy wonders if he loves Lucky 13 more than her.

Franklin chuckled.  “I love ‘em both.  Depends on who’s giving me more problems on any given day.  Come on aboard, Dan.”

Dan climbed up into the cab.  “Thanks for the invitation, Mr. Bowman.”

“Call me Franklin.”  The engineer shook hands.  “You may not be thanking me depending if we run into any problems.  See you brought ol’ Bessie.”

“Yes, sir… Franklin.  I don’t go many places without her.  Feel nekkid if she’s not nearby.”

George lit the fire and began added wood into the fire box.  “I’ll go add the water.”

Going over by the water tower, George pulled down the chute, allowing water to flow into the compartment.  A few minutes later, he let go and the chute went up, cutting off the water from running.

“Where can I be so I’m outta the way?” Dan asked.

“There is a jump seat over here you can sit on,” Bowman said as he manipulated the controls for the water getting hot enough to make steam.

“We’re ready, Uncle.”  George climbed back into the cab.

“All right.  Let’s get this trip going!”  Franklin pulled a chain allowing steam to release and rang the bell.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Lucky 13 made good time pulling several cars of supplies up the mountain to the mining camp.  The day was clear with a brilliant blue sky and chilly temperatures.  

“What a beautiful day!” Dan exclaimed.  “The firebox really keeps the chill away.”

“Don’t let the weather fool you, Dan.  Up here, a storm can come on quick.  One hour it’s sunny and the next it’s raining or snowing.”

At the mining camp, the supply cars were disconnected from the engine and the ore cars were connected, including a small box car carrying a safe.  More wood was added to the tinder and water to the reserve.

“Not so many cars of ore.  I don’t wanna be burdened down with weight on this trip.”  Franklin checked the cars and connections.  “I’d rather do an extra load this week, if I have to.”

“We’re ready when you are, Uncle,” George informed Bowman.

“Good!  On the way home is when we all have to be on our guard for any outlaws.”

Dan patted his rifle.  “Bessie and I are ready.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

About a third of the way down, clouds rolled over the mountain tops.

“What was I telling you, Dan.”  Franklin shouted as he pointed out the approaching weather.

Dan pulled up his collar and buttoned his coat, alert for any sign of outlaws.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wheat pulled up his collar and buttoned his coat.  “Dang weather has to come in now.”

“Wheat, I sure don’t like this.”  Kyle spit out some chaw on the ground.  “It’s a bad omen on Friday the 13th.

“Know what you mean, Kyle, but Heyes said there’ll be $20,000 on this train.  Can’t be all bad.”

Hank, on top of the hill, signaled to the gang of the approaching train.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Coming up are some bends and a hill to climb, Dan,” Bowman shouted.  “Good place as any for outlaws.  George, I want the fire nice and hot.  We’re going around those bends as fast as possible and I want to climb that hill at the same pace as we are now.  It’s not too steep.”

“You got it, Uncle!”  George threw more wood from the tinder into the firebox.

Dan readied his rifle and glanced outside the cab and noticed a darkening sky.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“The train should be slowing down soon to go around the bends.  Will definitely lose speed going up that hill.”  Heyes pointed over to the grade.  “Is everyone remember what they’re doing and where to be?”

Kid looked up.  “Weather’s comin’ in, Heyes.”

“What?”  He sighed.  “Why now?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Lucky 13 was running full throttle until the bend when Franklin released a little steam to slow her just enough to make the bends without tipping.

The heavens opened and the rain fell by the buckets.  Lightning streaked across the sky and thunder rolled around the mountains.

Dan thought he saw a rider and brought up his rifle, ready to shoot.

“Looks like something’s on the track up ahead, Uncle!”

“Keep that fire hot!  We’re going through!”

Lucky 13 gathered speed before the hill.  Its cowcatcher scattered the fallen trees on the rail as it started its ascent.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes cursed as he saw the engine going fast around the bends and gathering speed as it hit the trees laid on the track.  “What the…”

The rain came down hard, blinding the outlaws and soaking them through.

“Heyes, what now?” Curry asked as the train kept its speed up the incline.

“I’ve never…”  Heyes’ silver-tongue was lost for words.

“Heyes, what now?” Curry repeated.

Heyes sighed.  “We’re scratching the job,” he said deflated.  “That engine was just too fast.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wet and chilled outlaws slowly rode back to the Hole in the rain.

“Told him it was a bad luck to do a job on Friday the 13th,” Wheat muttered.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Lucky Engine 13 pulled into the Silverton rail yard on time.

“Well, I’ll be… I thought for sure we’d have outlaw problems with that $20,000 on board.”  Franklin released the last of the steam and turned.  “Glad you were along and that we didn’t need you, Dan.”

Dan stood and shook Franklin’s hand.  “Me, too.  I thought I saw something out there in the rain…”

“Think that tree on the rail was from the storm or on purpose, Uncle?” George asked.

“Guess we’ll never know.”  Franklin climbed down.  “How about I treat you two to a beer?”

Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Engine10

Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2020 11:56 pm

NOTES:  I want to send out a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to a few folks for their help in making this challenge story actually happen. Without 'em y'all would NOT be reading this!

First off, thank you to Penski for her encouragement, for sharing a plot bunny to help get my creative juices flowing, and for her prodding me onward amid some pretty tough obstacles determined to thwart all my efforts to get this posted before the deadline.

I started writing this from scratch today at 5:00pm. Only had the prompt and a hopping bunny at that point. Phew... I made it with a couple minutes to spare! applause

My second heartfelt thanks go to my friend Jude.  She's staying with us a few weeks, helping with my bestie, Artie/ Sue, who was just diagnosed with Stage 3 Peritoneal Ovarian Cancer.  Jude is a card reader - a professional - so I had an expert's help with this challenge right at my fingertips. I asked her to do a "reading" as if it were real, and I would use whatever cards that showed up and she could explain them to me.

I have to say, for "pretending" to read a fictional character's cards, it was kinda eerie how close they came to the real thing - as if Hannibal Heyes was actually sitting there in person. I promise you, I did NOT change a thing in the reading at all. What you are about to read are the actual cards "Heyes" received. Jude herself doesn't know a lot about either HH, KC or the series, just the basics. No card manipulation whatsoever was used to get the results that we wanted at all.

Jude uses a common deck to do her readings, and in the story it made perfect sense for Heyes to want "Jade" to use a deck that he was familiar with as well.

My third and final thank you goes to Artie herself. It was Penski's suggestion that I involve Artie with the challenge. She DOES know all about ASJ. It helped to keep her mind off herself and the stupid cancer for awhile. She tossed in a few idees that helped to make the story what it is - I couldn't have done it without her!

I hope y'all enjoy reading my little challenge. This was one of the toughest to get finished in all the challenges I've ever written!

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Lucky 13”

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry were  meandering as they made their way to the next town.  The sun was just beginning to set and filled the sky with streaks of orange, lavender, yellow and red.  While they rode, they passed the time taking turns choosing something to discuss.  Heyes had picked the last topic, a book he had just finished. Having exhausted the subject, the two men fell silent.

“Your turn.”  Receiving no response, Heyes gave his partner a sidelong glance and grinned. “Hey -  you fall asleep over there?”  There was another short silence before Curry answered.

“No, I was jus' wonderin' 'bout something.”  He held up a hand.  “An' before you say anything 'bout you doin' the thinkin', wonderin' is different and that's what I'm doin'.”

Heyes' grin grew even wider and his dimple appeared.  “Okay, what are you wondering about?”  

“Do you ever think our luck's gonna change for the good?”

Heyes quirked a brow.  “Isn't it always changing?  Some day's it's good, some day's it's bad. Like today; today's a very good day.  The sun's shining, we have money in our pockets and we're not being chased by any lawmen.  What else could we ask for?”

“Plenty!” Curry heaved a deep sigh.  “We slept on the ground last night, had a cold supper 'cos we couldn't light a fire.  We ate beans and dried up biscuits without any coffee – both last night an' this mornin'.  Doesn't sound very lucky if you ask me!”

“Okay, I won't ask you,” Heyes chuckled.  

The sound of music and an elephant trumpeting halted further conversation. They looked at each other, then turned in the direction of the sounds.  The top of a tent being hoisted into the air came into their view.

“It's a circus!” the chorused together.

“Still feeling unlucky, Kid?”

His expression much like that of his nickname turned loose in a candy store, Kid's grin stretched from ear to ear. “Nope.  Can we check it out?”

Seeing the look on his partner's face, and hearing the excitement in his voice, Heyes shrugged.  “Why not?  We couldn't possibly get into trouble in a circus.”

The two men found a hitching post and tied their reins to it. Turning, they began to walk towards the tent, glancing around at everything as they passed by.

Kid tapped his cousin on the arm and pointed to their right. “Hey, look over there!”

Heyes turned away from watching the Bearded Lady and the World's Strongest Man. “Come inside and meet Mystical Mistress Jade, Prog-nos-ti-ca-tor Extraordinaire” he read aloud.  “She will amaze and mystify you.  Have your dreams analyzed, your palm read.  Crystal Ball Diviner.  Tarot card reading $1: your fortune read, your future revealed. Hmph,” he scoffed.   “What a load of poppycock! Great way to spend hard-earned money for some stranger to tell you what you already know.”

“Aw, c'mon, Heyes.  It only costs a dollar.  Like you said earlier, we've got money in our pockets.  Let's give it a try; it could be fun.  You never know, maybe she'll tell us something we don't know.”

Heyes didn't answer, just continued to stare at the fortune teller's tent.

“Well, even if you don't wanna come, I'm gonna go see what she has to say 'bout my future.”

“I didn't say I wouldn't go!”  Heyes huffed and quickly caught up.  “You're paying!” he snapped.

“Sure will,” Kid grinned.

Curry lifted the tent flap and turned to Heyes. “After you.”

Heyes stepped inside and Kid followed behind.

A voice as soft as velvet, yet strong as steel, called out to them.

“Come to my table and be seated, gentlemen.”

Heyes and Kid walked towards the voice.  Heyes removed his hat and elbowed the Kid in the ribs as he sat down.

Curry removed his hat and smiled at the woman as he followed suit.

The mystic was holding a deck of cards.  Heyes looked down at the table; he could see that instead of the regular suits, the cards had pictures on them and they were laid face up on the table.

“What would you like to know?” she inquired as she laid down a card.

“You're the fortune teller - don't you already know what I want to know?” Heyes quipped.

Jade looked deep into his eyes.  “I know many things you want to know.  But only you can tell me what you desire to know this day.”  She laid five more cards down, face up, on top of the others.

Kid coughed. “We wanna know 'bout our future.”

Jade looked at Kid, then at Heyes and laid four more cards down.  “I cannot tell two futures at the same time.  One of you must wait.”

Blue eyes met brown and asked a question.

“Excuse us a moment,” Kid rose from his chair, followed by Heyes.

The two men went to a far corner of the tent.

“Flip a coin?” Kid suggested.

“Fine with me,” Heyes answered and started to reach into his pocket.

Curry shook his head. “Nope – my coin.”  He pulled one out.  “Call it in the air.” He flipped it high.

“Tails.”

Kid grabbed the coin and slapped it onto the back of his hand. Then he raised his hand.  He frowned and heaved a sigh of defeat.  “I'll meet you out by the Big Top.”  He looked into Heyes' eyes.  “At least try to take it seriously – for me, please?”

“You want to stay and I'll go?”

Curry shook his head. “No, you won fair an' square.  Besides, I think you're supposed to be the one stayin'.”

Heyes rolled his eyes skyward. “Not you, too, Kid?” he huffed.

“Go back to the table.  I'll see you in awhile.” Curry walked out of the tent.

“Total waste of time and money!” Heyes groused.  Taking a deep breath, he took his seat and looked at Jade.  “I won, so here I am; tell me my future.”

“You didn't have to flip a coin; I knew you'd be the one staying.”

“Do you also know that I think all this,” he waved his hands around at the tent and table, “is fake?”

“I do.”

Heyes watched her in silence as she picked up all the cards from the table.  “Shuffle these cards as much or as little as you want, then hand them back to me,” she instructed and held them out.

Heyes shook his head.  “Uh, uh.”  He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a deck of cards.  “I want you to use these cards.”

Jade's eyes met his and recognized the dare in them.  She smiled and laid her deck down.  “I accept your challenge. Give them to me, please.”

Heyes handed her the cards and kept his eyes on her as she removed the cards from the box and examined them.

“These are normal playing cards, yes?”

Heyes nodded.  “Go ahead, tell my future.”  He folded his arms across his chest and leaned back in his chair, his skepticism evident.

“It is not only your future I can tell you about.  I can also see your past and present.”  She held out the deck.  “You must shuffle the cards yourself, first.”

Heyes took them and began to shuffle.  Finally satisfied, he handed them back to her.  “Go ahead; impress me.”

Jade took the cards in her hands and held them for a minute, her eyes closed.  “Now we will begin.”

The fortune teller laid down a row of cards face up.  Then she did a second row, and a third and a fourth. She pointed to the first card in the top left corner, the King of Clubs.  “That card says you are happy-go-lucky and lead with your left foot.”

Heyes huffed.

“The second card is the Ace of Clubs and the Ace of Hearts.  When they are paired together like this, it means there are two inseparable, close friends.  Two people who complement each other, yet have opposite personalities.”

Heyes shrugged.  “That would be easy to figure out.  You saw me and my friend and put two and two together.”

Jade smiled.  “Your next card, the Two of Clubs right next to the two Aces tells me that the two of you will always be together.”

Heyes relaxed his arms a bit.

“Your next two cards are both low card diamonds.  Two diamonds next to each other signifies that you will be rich one day and poor the next.  You should make hay while the sun shines, for that will be the fuel that moves your finances forward.”

Silence.

“The Queen of Spades tells me that you had your heart broken a long time ago.  The next three cards, all hearts, says you will never admit it, but you hope to find love again.”

Heyes' arms uncrossed and he sat up straighter.

“The Ten of Spades tells me that you have many adventures, as well as misfortune, ahead.  You don't plan far enough ahead.  You cannot move forward or backward with your life unless you take your thinking to the next level.”

“The next card is the Ace of Spades.  In a Tarot deck, sometimes the card will have a skeleton on it. It can be unlucky or lucky with the number 13 on it." She paused a beat.  "It is also known as the Death Card.”

Heyes reacted visibly and moved to the edge of his seat.  “I'm gonna die!?”

Jade shook her head. “No, despite it's name it does not always mean death. In this position, it means that your life will flip over.  Your life will be completely different from what it was.”

Heyes released the breath he had been holding and relaxed back in his seat.

“It also tells you that you should proceed with caution.  If something is warning you not to do it, something that says 'don't take the chance' - go in a different direction.  Ask your instincts which way to go – and trust them – listen and go another way.  Challenge what you know or you will meet with misfortune.”

“Your next set of cards tells me that through a young man – the Jack of Diamonds, you will meet an older man – the King of Diamonds - possibly his father - who is very wealthy.  Beware of both of them, for they are con men. They will appear to be more than they are.  If you take a chance with them, you will meet with disaster and will be held accountable.”

Heyes nodded thoughtfully.

“Your final card, the Queen of Hearts, tells me that love is in your future.  She will reach a part of you in an unexpected way.  She will know your weaknesses and capture your heart.  But beware: there is something in your way.  It is an obstacle, not a person.  You must be patient and work on removing it.”  Jade raised her eyes to Heyes' face and beheld his expression.  A look of wonder, as well as a bemused, dimpled smile had replaced his earlier skepticism.  “I see that you have had a change of both mind and heart, have you not, Joshua?”

The use of his name snapped Heyes out of his stupor.  “I believe I owe you a dollar, Mistress Jade,” he said and rose to his feet.  He reached across the table to give her the money and for a moment their hands touched.  

A sharp tingle shot up his arm; Heyes quickly pulled his hand back.

Jade smiled.  “Go find your friend and tell him what you have learned here tonight.  He's pacing impatiently just outside the tent, waiting for you, watching out for you and watching your back.”

“I know,” Heyes grinned.  “Thank you, Mistress Jade.”  Heyes put his hat on his head and hurried out of the tent.  “Wait'll I tell Kid – he's never gonna believe it!”

PostSubject: Re: Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen   Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jan 20 - Lucky Thirteen
Page 1 of 1