Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Empty
PostSubject: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 am

Hello to all of you

This is the 144th challenge - that is right, one full gross of stories!!

A little seasonality for you hs moresnow hs

Let your fertile brains and typing fingers think about;

(In the) Bleak Midwinter
Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 am

"In The Bleak Midwinter" ~ aka ~ “The Winter of Jed's Discontent”

TIMELINE: Han and Jed, ages 15 and 12, have just recently made their escape from Valparaiso, so they've only been on their own for a short time. They're not budding outlaws yet; just a couple of orphaned boys, new at figuring things out, doing whatever it takes to survive and taking one day at a time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was the first week of March and the countryside was completely blanketed in white. Aided and abetted by a frosty wind which howled fiercely at times and chilled a body to the bone, the falling snow was a forbidding enemy to anyone who might be loco enough to dare to confront it.

Having no other choice, and forced to brave the elements, Hannibal Heyes and his younger cousin, Jedediah Curry, were fighting their way through the snow, trudging through snowdrifts that were, at times, waist deep. Well, the drifts were waist deep to Heyes; some came up to Jed's shoulders, but more often, up to his chin when he sank down into them.

“Told ya it was gonna snow!” Jed hollered to be heard above the howling wind. “I could feel it. Even pointed out the snow clouds, but would ya listen? No!”

“They weren't snow clouds!” Heyes countered, his shouted words coming out in puffs of steam as they left his mouth. “They were storm clouds!  And I did listen! It's March – it shouldn't be snowing like this.”

“Snow clouds, storm clouds,” Jed huffed. “Same result – snow! We wouldn't be out here freezin' our tails off if we didn't havta leave that town so fast!”

Head down against the blustery wind, Heyes trudged on. “You blaming me for that, too?”

“No – we're both to blame for that one. You for doin' the five pat hands con, an' me for lettin' ya!”

“Everybody can have an off day,” Heyes protested defensively. “Was it snowing when we left town?”

“No! But that rancher who gave us a ride in his buckboard agreed with me. He said it looked like snow!”

“Was it snowing when we started up the mountain to get to the cave?” Heyes persisted.

“No, but –”

“It was not supposed to snow –”

“But ya still dragged me out here in all this” – Jed waved his arms around in a wide arc, “freezing, never-ending snow – to die!”

“We are not gonna die!” Heyes snapped.

“Think I'll have that put on my tombstone!” Jed retorted. “He told me I wasn't gonna die – hah!”

“Would you quit with the dying stuff? It's beginning to get on my nerves!” Heyes quickened his pace.

“Lucky you; at least ya have nerves left! Mine went into hiding – I might not ever see 'em again!” Jed thought he heard a snort, but couldn't be sure. Breathless from trying to keep up, he panted, “How much further?”

“Not much,” Heyes answered.

“That's what ya said the last time I asked,” Jed protested petulantly. “An' that was hours ago!”

“It wasn't hours; it was just a few minutes ago.”

“My legs are tired an' my stomach is hungry! I thought ya said this would be easy? Are ya lost? I sure don't remember the cave bein' this far off the trail.”

“We are not lost!” Heyes snapped back, glaring at the younger boy. “And if you'd quit your bellyaching long enough to concentrate on walking, you wouldn't have so much time to think about those things!”

Jed looked at Heyes with reproach. “Ain't ya even a li'l bit hungry an' tired, too, Han?”

“I am –  but I'm trying not to think about it. You're not helping!” Heyes started walking again.

“I can't help but think 'bout eatin' – my stomach's growlin' loud enough to wake a grizzly bear outta hibernation!”

“No it's not; you're not too far behind me and I can't hear it.”

“Well, I can  – it's loud enough to cause an avalanche!”

Heyes stopped and half-turned to give his younger cousin 'the look'. “Really? An avalanche?”

“Yep,” Jed nodded and came to a halt. “Listen.”

Heyes huffed, then fell silent. The only sounds that were audible at that moment was the water rushing over the rocks in the nearby stream, the swooshing of the falling snow, and a hawk that cried out as it circled overhead. Even the wind had ceased its howling temporarily.

“I don't hear a thing.” Heyes pivoted about and began to trudge through the snow again.

“I'm not gonna walk no more 'less ya tell me the cave ain't very far!” Jed stated, crossing his arms over his chest and standing his ground.

“Fine. Just stand there until you freeze into a statue then!” Heyes tossed back over his shoulder. “We're losing daylight and I don't wanna be outside in the cold when it gets dark.” He continued to walk. “You shouldn't wanna be out here when it gets dark either. There's all kinds of animals looking for food at night and you'd make a nice, tasty, little snack...” his words began to fade as his feet carried him further away.

“Ya said ya could find the cave, Han!” Jed shouted as he looked all around. “I don't see no cave! An' ain't no animals gonna eat me neither! Ya go ahead an' keep on walkin'; I don't care! I'm gonna find my own place to hunker down!” Filled with anger and frustration, he watched his cousin's back until it was obscured by the swirling flakes. “I'll show Han,” he muttered to himself. “I'll show him I can do things all by myself. I don't need an ingrate like him!”

He shook his canteen, relieved to hear the water as it sloshed around inside. “I have water; I can fish or hunt rabbit, an' then I won't be hungry. I can even build a fire to cook 'em over.” He eyed some dark objects shaped like trees off in the distance. “I can make a shelter in those trees. They're not too far away. Who needs a stupid ol' cave anyway? Maybe my walk-off cousin does, but not me!”

Jed began to make his way towards the trees. His short legs were no match for the deep drifts and it was slow-going for the boy. The sun was just beginning to set and the temperature began to drop. Each step he took seemed to take more and more energy, something that he was in short supply of. He could feel the sting of the wind on his cheeks and the frost on his ears and eyelashes as he plowed his way through another snowdrift. He glanced up to see how much progress he'd made and his heart sank.

“Doesn't look like I went anywhere,” he sighed. “Those trees don't look any closer than they did a while ago! This is gonna take forever! If I freeze to death, it's all Han's fault! He never should've left me all alone. I bet he'll feel real sorry when he finds out I died...”

Preoccupied with thinking of all the things Han would regret, Jed was startled out of his mental listing of each one when he took another step and, instead of going forward, he plunged downward. Landing in a crumpled heap, the stunned boy lay there for a few moments as he tried to get a grip on what had just happened. As the truth sunk in, he sat up cautiously.

His head hurt. He reached up to touch where it was throbbing and his hand came into contact with a large goose-egg. Moving each limb slowly, one at a time and feeling no pain, Jed released a deep sigh of relief, scrambled to his feet and looked up. His relief turned to dismay. Even when standing, the hole above him was nowhere within his reach. “Now what'll I do?” he muttered to the walls of ice and snow that surrounded him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Help, Han – help!” Jed called out in frustration for what had to be at least the twentieth time as he tried not to panic. His throat felt raw from hollering. It felt like he had been down in the hole forever, but in reality it had barely been an hour. “Come back, Han, please! I didn't mean it – I didn't mean any of what I said to ya. I was jus' cold, an' tired, an' hungry! Han? Can ya hear me?” He waited a beat to listen for any reply, but all he heard was the silence. “Please, Han – I promise I won't grumble no more – I'll do whatever ya say...” Jed sank down to the ground and rested his head on his bent knees. “Just come back an' find me... I don't wanna die like this!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Figuring he'd let Jed stew in his own juices long enough, Heyes was working his way back to find his wayward cousin. Hearing the faint cry for help, he peered around in all directions, but couldn't see any sign of Jed. He frowned. Cupping his hands around his mouth, he called out, “Where are you?”

“Down here!” a muffled voice answered.

“Where's here?” the dark-haired boy's brow furrowed more as he began the search for his cousin. “I can hear you, but I can't see you!”

“I don't know where here is either – but I don't like it!”

“What happened?” Having heard the hint of fear in the other boy's voice, Heyes added, “Kid – keep talking so I can find you – tell me what happened.”

“I was walkin' towards some trees, when all of a sudden I got swallowed up by the stupid snow – that's what happened! One minute I was there, an' the next I found myself down here in some kinda hole! Hey – Han , are ya gettin' any closer yet?” he cried out.

Suddenly the light was blocked by a shadow. “Yep, I'm right here.”

Two bright blue eyes looked up into brown ones filled with concern. “Get me outta here!”

“Don't worry, Kid. Just give me a few minutes to think of the best way to do that, okay?”

“Okay, Han; I'll try.” The shadow disappeared. “Hey – where ya goin'?” Jed cried out.

“Don't worry, I'm not leaving you.” Heyes' head reappeared. “I'm not going far, but I need to get a branch long enough for you to grab hold of, so I can pull you up.” He winked and drew an X across his chest. “Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye; step on a cat and spit in its eye. I promise I'll be right back.” **

When the shadow disappeared this time, Jed wrapped his arms around himself and shivered. “It's all my fault,” he whispered. “If I was bigger, then stuff like fallin' down a hole wouldn't happen. It didn't happen to Han an' I was right behind him.” His teeth began to chatter so he clamped them together and sighed. “Nothin's goin' right today.” After a few moments of silence, Jed glanced up through the hole, hopeful of seeing Han's face again, but all he could see was the sky. He heaved another sigh and rubbed his arms to get them warm. “It's not jus' today,” he corrected his earlier statement, “it's the whole past week that's been bad!”

Just then, Heyes' head popped back into view. “I found one!” he announced triumphantly. “Grab hold, Jed, and I'll have you up here in no time!” He lowered the large tree branch and waited for the other boy to get a good hold on it. “Now, when I say 'go', I'll pull and you jump as high as you can, okay? At the boy's nod, Heyes began to count. “One, two, three – go!” He yanked with all his might and once Jed was near the top he grabbed hold of the other boy's arm and pulled him to safely.

Flopping onto their backs, both boys lay on the snow, panting from their exertions.

“I'm sorry, Han,” Jed whispered, not turning to look at his cousin.

Heyes rolled on his side and propped himself up on one elbow as he looked at his friend. “Sorry for what?”

“Everything.” A deep sigh followed.

“Everything?” Heyes echoed. “ Like what?”

“You know.”

“Maybe,” Heyes shrugged. “But you'd better tell me anyway, just so I can be sure.”

Jed turned his head. Blue eyes stared into brown. “You're really gonna make me say all of 'em?”

“Yep. Way I see it, if you're gonna apologize for 'em, you might as well tell me what they are.”

“Fine!” Jed snapped. Taking a deep breath, he began, “First off, I'm sorry 'cos of all the grumblin'; second, I'm sorry I called ya names – ”

“You called me names? What kinda names?”

Jed turned back to stare up into the sky. “I think maybe I called you a walk-off... an' an ingrate.”

“You think maybe you did?”

“Okay, I did call ya both of 'em. Satisfied?”

“Well, no; I'm not satisfied you called me names, but I'll take your apology for saying 'em.”

Jed rolled his eyes skyward. “This is gonna take forever if ya keep on interruptin' me.”

Heyes bit back a grin. “Why? How many more things do you have to apologize for?”

“None – 'less'n ya shut up long 'nough to let me finish!”

“Temper, temper, Kid,” Heyes chided his friend and grinned. “I'm letting you off the hook. No more apologies, and no more grumbling, okay?” Heyes got to his feet and held a hand out to help the other boy up.

“I'll try,” Jed prevaricated. His expression grew thoughtful. “There's one thing I wanna do, but you havta agree to let me do it.”

“Oh?” Brow furrowed, Heyes continued, “Go ahead and tell me what it is, then I'll decide. Fair enough?”

Jed nodded. “I wanna take the lead once in awhile. I'm not a baby, an' I can track jus' as good as you can, maybe even better. So whaddya say?”

“Do you know the way to the cave?”

“Uh, well... no.”

“So how about if I lead the way to the cave today and you can lead on another day?”

“That's all I'm askin', jus' a chance to do it sometime.” He shoved his hands into his pockets and looked down as he scuffed the ground with the toe of his boot. “I thought maybe today was gonna be different,” he added quietly. “That I'd feel different or something special might happen.”

Heyes' brow furrowed. “Why today?”

Jed shrugged. “It don't seem as important as it did this mornin', 'specially after all that's happened.” He paused a beat, then added, “It's March 6th – today's my birthday.”

“I know; I didn't forget.” Heyes' face relaxed and a dimpled smile appeared.  “I even got you a present. I was gonna surprise you once we get to the cave.”

With an ear-splitting grin, Jed looked up. “You remembered?”

“Sure did,” Heyes nodded. “It isn't every day a fella turns thirteen, you know.” He glanced at Jed's forehead. “You've got a nasty bump; you feel okay?”

Jed grimaced. “Yeah, but it wouldn't stop me from leadin' the way – I mean, if ya wanted me to.”

“You sure are determined now that you're thirteen, aren't you?” Heyes teased. “Well, since you brought it up again, do you wanna know why I took the lead in the snow today?”

Jed cocked his head to the side, then nodded.

“The reason I walk ahead of you is to make it easier for you.”

“Easier? How?”

“Each time you took a step you were following in my footsteps, right?”

“Yeah...”

“I went first, breaking the ground so that all you had to do was step into my footprints. You didn't have to make your own. How much harder was it for you when you quit following my tracks and struck out on your own?”

Shamefaced, Jed swallowed and the remainder of his anger melted away as he ducked his head and looked at the ground. “Guess I was too busy grumblin' to even notice.”

Heyes put his arm around Jed's shoulders. “Listen, just because I'm the leader, it doesn't mean that you aren't as important as I am. You trust me to get us where we need to be and I trust you to watch my back while I'm getting us there. It's a partnership. We work together as a team; there's less trouble that way.” He stepped away. “You feel up to following me to that cave? It's not far away – and this time I mean it,” he grinned.

“You bet!” Jed nodded and handed Heyes one of the pieces of beef jerky he had just pulled out of his bag. “Jus' a little something to make my stomach quit growlin'. Wouldn't want any of those wild animals to hear it an' think there was trouble.” Hearing Han's chuckle before he turned to lead the way to the cave, Jed lifted his foot and placed it into the imprint Heyes had just made in the snow. As he raised his other foot to do the same, a thought suddenly occurred to him as his eyes took in the bleak midwinter scene that surrounded him.

Ya know, somehow things don't look quite so bad, 'specially if a fella takes into account that he's not alone, or gettin' outta trouble all by himself.

** NOTE:  The saying “Cross my heart and hope to die...” was added to a promise or a statement to show how serious one was about being honest in what one said. There are several variations and most folks remember saying it during their kid days ;-)

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2019 11:11 am

Destiny's Cycle Chapter 20 arrives as In the Midwinter Bleak Challenge.

Laying his book across his chest, Hannibal Heyes laced his fingers behind his head, stretching out in his favorite chair. He inhaled deeply, enjoying the comfortable solitude of the empty leader’s cabin. Beyond the wood walls, he smiled at the trilling songs of birds chirping happily, thinking, ‘It is such a nice day for this late in December, I should go find something productive to do outside.’ Instead, he exhaled, rooting deeper in his favorite chair and crossing his ankles. “Maybe I will take a nap first.’

“Fire! Fire!”

Heyes exploded from the chair, his book flying from him to land in a crumpled pile on the floor. Bolting out the door, he charged down the cabin’s front steps. His eyes shot wide at the crackling, leaping flames emerging from the recently repaired, bunkhouse roof. ‘What the hell have they done now?’ Even as thoughts of wringing certain outlaw’s necks crossed his mind, he was already running to join the bucket brigade forming from the river.

In a frenzy of action, the Devil’s Hole Gang labored shoulder to shoulder passing buckets that sloshed them with frigid. Each bucket being tossed either on the licking flames or used to further wet sections of the building that had, as of yet, escaped destruction.

At length, the fire was extinguished, and the gang members, Heyes, included sunk to the ground gasping for air from their strenuous labors.

Taking several fortifying breaths, Heyes pushed himself up, noticing how bright red his hands were; he frowned, shoving them under his arms. “What happened?!”

The gang members looked from one to the other, each looking more confused and unsure as they did so.

Shaking his head, Heyes stomped forward, cautiously stepped over a fallen charred beam to stand in the smoking remains of the bunkhouse. It was warmer here, but he frowned deeply as he stared up at the brilliant cerulean blue sky above.

“Think it was the stove?”

Slanting an eye to Wheat Carlson who had joined him, Heyes dryly answered, “you think?”

“Now, Heyes, don’t be jumping out of the gate proddy, like that.”

Turning to face Wheat, Heyes’ tilted his head to the side, “How would you like me to jump out of the gate???”

“I understand that your irritated,” Wheat glanced back to the other soot smudged, starting to shiver, gang members, “but think how we all feel.”

Sighing, Heyes turned to look at his gang, ‘damn, but they look pathetic.’

“What we gonna do?” Kyle bleated, “when that sun goes down, its gonna get mighty cold.”

Realization of the true extent of this damage struck Heyes, and he lolled his head backward with a groan.

Lobo put in, “He is correct, Heyes.”

Several of the gang members peeked toward the Leader’s cabin, and Olly bumped into Kyle, whispering, “use your hook line.”

Nodding smartly, Kyle cleared his throat, warmly calling out, “surely, ya ain’t gonna make us all sleep out in the cold, Heyes, ‘cause what makes you such a great leader is you don’t make no one do what you wouldn’t do yourself.”

Running a hand back through his hair, Heyes shook his head, grinning a bit over at Kyle, “One day, that line isn’t going to work for you, Kyle.”

“Is it workin’ for me, well, for all of’n us today?”

“It is,” Heyes sighed. “Hank, John, Lobo get bedrolls from the barn and put in the cabin. Rest of you salvage what you can from this wreck.” As he moved to walk out, Heyes noticed Wheat was blocking his way. “Do something else for you?”

Wheat surreptitiously glanced about, “I just wanted to say thanks, Heyes, thanks for me and all the boys.”

“Well, you heard what Kyle said.” Heyes flashed a broad, flat smile with a shake of his head, he walked off.

It was hours after dark when Curry, Merkle, Hoyle, and Preacher rode up to the Hole, the Leader’s Cabin was lit up like dancehall, and they all sat on their horses out front staring while listening to the rowdiness emitting from inside.

Merkle shoved his hat back some, squinching and frowning, “Heyes decide to have a party while we were away?”

However, Curry's face wore a much deeper frown that was tinged with confusion, “appears that way?”

Sniffing the air, Hoyle asked, “you smell smoke?”

“Now that you mention it,” Curry responded, looking about, and not seeing any lights down where the bunkhouse stood.

“Guess we won’t know what’s up ‘til we put these cayuses up,” Merkle said, looking longingly toward the cheery golden light that could be seen about the edges of the cabin’s curtains. “Whatever is going on in there, sounds right pleasant after our cold ride up.”

Riding to the barn, they each kept looking toward the dark bunkhouse, thinking how odd it was for it to be shrouded in darkness.

Curry said, “that smoke smell is getting a lot stronger,” and turned his bay toward the bunkhouse, a firefly spark moved in the night, and Curry drew his pistol. As his gang mates began trailing after him, the snow-laden clouds drifted from the moon. Its bright light illuminating Hannibal Heyes smoking a cigarillo before the blackened, broken bunkhouse.

Hoyle blurted, “God Kiss Me, but what happened?”

Taking another draw on the cigarillo, Heyes turned about, “far as I can figure, the creosote was too thick on the inside of stove pipe.”

Holstering the Colt, Curry stepped down from his saddle, “all the gang..” he nodded toward the cabin.

“Yep, because what makes me such a great leader---”

“He USED that on you again.”

“Yeah, and I fell for it…again.”

Staring at their cabin, Curry plucked the cigarillo from Heyes’ fingers, taking a strong draw on it. When he released the smoke, it lingered about them coating his words, “all winter.”

“Least until we can get a new place built.”

Curry took another drag on the cigarillo, “all winter.”

Taking his smoke back, Heyes grinned over at his pal, “It's going to be a long, long bleak winter.”

“Hell, if it is, we won’t get a moment's peace.”

Heyes nodded, tossing the used up smoke into the rubble of the burnt building, “like I said a long, long bleak winter designed to try the nerves of even the calmest man.”

“That is more likely.”

Having ridden closer, Preacher beamed down on the leaders, “it won’t be that bleak, for even though the frosty wind moans, the earth is hard as iron, and snow shall fall tonight, you have offered from your heart to those who had none.” Having said this, he took a swig from his ever-present whiskey flask. “Your giving heart, both of your hearts which overflow with Christiane warmth, will keep the dark at bay.”

Nodding at them, Preacher spun his horse toward the barn, leaving the pair of outlaw leader’s staring after in astonishment until Curry shook himself free. “What was that?”

“Not sure, but I still believe…” Heyes flopped an arm over Curry’s shoulder, “despite giving hearts, our nerves are going to be tried beyond the Christiane warmth that supposedly fills them.”

“And, that I understand and will agree with.”

Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 am

It was a cold midwinter night at Devil’s Hole. Christmas eve.

The previous days had been lazy and boring and everyone was looking forward to the party they would have tonight. Two of the boys made great effort to present a festive meal, Big Jim prepared one of his devilish chilis and preacher was working on his traditional punch which wouldn’t be appropriate for any church social but guaranteed a bloody miserable hangover for the day after, even more so since it would be topped up with extra whiskey that was one of its main ingredients.

Kyle had saved the day when he was lucky enough to shoot a turkey. It made for a more traditional Christmas dinner than usual and the boys would enjoy and appreciate the diversion from beans, biscuits and jerky.

Heyes’s guitar and Hank’s fiddle were tuned and handy. There would be singing and dancing, of course. That no womenfolk were present was woeful, but the boys would celebrate with even more exuberant joy and there would be no reason to fight. ‘No girls in Devil’s Hole’ was a fixed rule and saved them a lot of trouble in the end. The gang parties were always raucous and wild and getting into the Christmas spirit meant, for most of them, warming up early with friendly challenges, gambling and drinking.

The dinner had been a great success and as soon as the dishes and tables were shuffled aside, the dancing would start. Nobody would be able to hinder Wheat from presenting his own – unintentionally funny - version of the Christmas story and inevitable as well was the jig contest when the night wore on and booze worked its uninhibited magic.

Heyes had left and retreated a few strides from the bunkhouse. He leaned against the fence of the corral now, taking in fresh air in deep drags and looked up to the sky. No moon was to be seen, but it was a clear night and the dark fabric of the sky was freckled with countless stars. Heyes’s eyes were trained on the brightest among them, glowing like a candle in the darkness. His breathing deepened and moisture gathered in the corner of his eyes, certainly due to the biting cold. He blinked it away.

There would be no candle on the window sill tonight. Dang, he had no window sill at all! There was pretty much nothing he had accomplished by now. ‘Only two years,’ he had bragged, and expected to be wealthy and well positioned by then. A somebody, not a nobody anymore. Well, in some ways he was. Word was out that he had earned himself his first warrant - 100$, not very impressive - but his name was on the slate now. It was a new mark in his lifeline, a mark indicating the path he was developing on: a life of crime, outside the law, alone.

Hell, how had he come down to that bloody topic again? It was a night to celebrate! A strong curse rose to his lips but was left unspoken as his attention returned to the star above him which sparkled too brightly to be diminished by his profanity. It almost seemed its intensity increased with every beat. But why on earth was it so blurry now? A veil of clouds? Heyes blinked several times and his sight cleared again.

Where would he be tonight? Was he warm and safe? In good company?

Despite his bleak mood, a warm feeling spread inside Heyes.

The dark-brown eyes remained fixed on the star, not knowing about the bright-blue pair they met there, their owner hundreds of miles away searching, hoping and asking the same questions about his cousin.

A heavy hand dropped on Heyes’s shoulder and dragged his thoughts back into the present.

“Miles away, huh?” a dark voice with a heavy Mexican accent asked him.

Heyes just shrugged at first, then nodded.

Big Jim turned and leaned his shoulders against the fence beside him. “Who is it? A girl?”

The young man hesitated, but eventually answered, “My cousin.”

“He still alive?”

“Don’t know,” Heyes answered barely audible.

Now it was Big Jim who nodded. He tilted his head back and looked into the sky, too – or maybe a place beyond.

Eventually Heyes broke the silence. “Who is it?”

“My family.”

“Still alive?”

“No.” Big Jim sighted. “No, long gone.”

He paused for minutes before he continued, “Maria, my wife, and Lucia, my daughter. Beautiful as the day. Wiped out in a blink. Guerra Estados Unidos-México.”

They stood a moment longer in silence. Then Big Jim clapped the young man’s shoulder. “Come on in, Hannibal, or you’ll freeze your butt off. It’s about time.”

“Go ahead, I’ll be right there.”

Big Jim nodded and returned to the bunkhouse. When he entered, light and laughter spilled out into the darkness.

Maybe it was time...

Heyes gathered himself, squared his shoulders and pushed the uncomfortable thought to the back of his mind.

For sure it was time: time to return, time to be happy again, cheerful. It was up to him to lead the boys in everything: gambling, drinking, reveling. No time to dwell on dark thoughts and dark moods. He turned around, pasted a smile on his face and returned to his gang – the closest thing to family he had tonight.

He wasn’t known to be moody and he wouldn’t want to change a thing about it. So, he picked up his guitar started a scurrilous song and led the boys into a cheerful mood that didn’t quite reach his heart tonight ... yet the memory of the bright, glowing star placed a twinkle in his eyes.

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 6:43 pm

In the Bleak Midwinter…

Hannibal Heyes wiped the fevered forehead of his partner with a cool cloth.

An early snowstorm in the mountains had forced the seven men – Clarence Boles, Billy Boggs, Jason Holloway, Ralph Marsden, Dr. Chauncey Beauregard, Thaddeus Jones, and Joshua Smith – to become roommates in a two-room cabin for months.  The larger room had a stone fireplace, a small kitchen area that included a stove and a large wooden table with benches on both sides of it, a bed, and a few other pieces of furniture scattered throughout.  The smaller adjacent room, had no windows.  There was only a door that opened into the main room.  Filled with numerous boxes, barrels and crates, burlap bags stacked against each other and a large pile of blankets and tarps in the middle, it was more of a storage room for supplies than anything else.

In the bleak midwinter months, a continuous poker game entertained the men and helped to ease some of their boredom…

Earlier, Chauncey Beauregard sighed after losing yet another hand to Joshua Smith and rattled the few chips he had left in front of him.  “Jason, better put me down for another five hundred.”

Jason nodded, made a notation in his small notebook, and counted out chips from the bank while Beauregard shuffled and began dealing the cards.

Thaddeus Jones coughed long and deep.

“That cough’s beginning to sound very bad,” Dr. Beauregard commented to Jones.

“I’m all right,” Thaddeus replied in a raspy voice.  “Deal me a winner an' I’ll be fine.”

Chauncey finished dealing the cards and the players looks at their hands.

Smith looked at his cards.  “I pass.”

“Open for fifty,” Jason announced.

Jones was forced to stifle another cough, pressing a closed fist against his mouth before he could answer.  “I’ll stay,” he mumbled.

Billy looked at his hand, then threw down his cards.  “Nope, can’t play.”

Thaddeus began to lean to the left until he was resting against Billy.

“Hey, you need more room?”  Billy shifted over on the bench away from Jones, who slowly tipped over sideways, then fell backwards and sprawled out on the floor.

Smith immediately dropped his cards and hurried over to his unconscious partner's side.  He lifted Curry's head and lightly slapped his cheek.  “Hey… Hey, what’s the matter with you?”

Eyes closed, Jones' head lolled backwards.  The prostrate man gave no indication that he either felt or heard his partner, and lay motionless where he had fallen.

The other players gathered around to stare at the prone man on the floor, their faces displaying various expressions at this unexpected turn of events.

Billy shook his head.  “Durndest thing I ever saw – keeled over just…”

Joshua interrupted and irritably replied, finishing Billy's sentence, “Yeah, I know – just like he was pole-axed!  Why don’t you help me get him into the storeroom since it’s not so drafty in there.”

Billy grabbed Thaddeus’ feet while Smith lifted his torso to carry him into the storeroom.  Clarence went ahead and opened the door for them and Ralph, picking up a spare lamp, brought it into the darkened room.  Billy and Joshua laid the unconscious man on some folded tarps in the small, snug room.

Finding a blanket, Heyes covered his partner as the other men left.

Dr. Chauncey Beauregard bustled into the room with his medical bag, elbowing Heyes out of the way.  Pulling out a stethoscope from the bag, he put the ends into his ears, placed the round disk against Kid's shirt and bent his head to his patient’s chest.

Heyes' eyes narrowed with suspicion as he watched the physician.  “Doc, what do you think you’re doing?” he asked, annoyed.

“I’m listening to his heart.”  A moment later the doctor shook his head.  “It’s beating much too fast.”

“Yeah?  Let me.”  Heyes grabbed the stethoscope none too gently and mimicked what the doctor had done.  “Doesn’t sound too fast to me.”

“Well, I’m sorry, but it is,” Beauregard replied haughtily.  “If you want my opinion, he has pneumonia.”

“All right, if he has got pneumonia, what are you going to do for him?” a concerned Heyes demanded.

The doctor sighed heavily.  “Unhappily, there really isn’t anything I can do.”

“That’s fine!” Heyes snapped.  “Because I just think he’s got a bad cold!”

Dr. Beauregard gave Joshua Smith a chilling look and then left the storeroom, pulling the door shut behind him with a pronounced thud.  Hannibal Heyes watched him leave, feeling some satisfaction at having spoken his mind.  But then he sobered, looking worriedly at Curry again.  Heyes settled down for a bedside vigil.  He put a hand on his partner’s head.  It felt hot to his touch.  “When did you get so sick?” he whispered.

Heyes' thoughts went back in time and he remembered another time when Curry was had been ill...

Han and Jed were separated at Valparaiso when an older man adopted Han so he would have a laborer on his farm.  Being abused and missing Jed, Han, feigning illness, was brought back to the orphanage.  Once there he discovered his young cousin in the infirmary sick, alone and uncared for.  Han built up the fire and moved a bed near it.  He washed his cousin to cool his fevered body and removed the sweat and filth.  Placing young Jed in the bed by the fire, Han slid in behind him and propped himself up so he was sitting against the headboard.  He pulled Jed up between his legs into a sitting position, leaning him against his chest, hoping that being upright would be better for the rattle he heard in the younger boy's chest.  Miss Annie, who worked in the kitchen and helped out where needed at Valparaiso found the boys asleep and brought Han something to eat.  She had been ill, too, and didn’t know Jed wasn’t being cared for.  With Han’s and Miss Annie’s ministration, Jed slowly recovered.

Heyes placed some sacks of flour and beans near the Kid’s head and pulled him so he leaned against the bags in a more upright position.  “Now you should be able to breathe easier.  Gotta get that fever down.  I’ll be right back.”  Heyes was about to leave the room when he turned back.  “Don’t go anywhere.”

“How is he?” Clarence asked when Heyes shut the door.

“He’s got a fever.”  Heyes looked around the cabin.  “I need a bowl to put some cold water in.  Maybe put the bed closer to the fire…”

“You’re not bringing him back in here if he’s that sick!” declared Jason, with the others agreeing.  “You just keep him in the storage room away from us.  There's no point in the rest of us getting whatever it is he's got.”

“Here’s a bowl with a rag.”  Clarence handed him the requested items.  “There’s another blanket or two tucked away in the corner of the storeroom that you can use to keep him warm.”

“Fine!”  Heyes opened and closed the door with more force than needed.  “They’re not gonna be any help!”  Heyes set the water down on a wooden crate next to where his partner was tossing and turning restlessly, located the blankets, and tucked them around the unconscious Curry.  “It’s just you and me, Kid.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hours later, Heyes tried to coax some water into Curry’s mouth with little success.  Concern etched on his face, his words were tinged with frustration.  “Come on, Kid.  You gotta drink something.”

Staring at his friend, still holding the cup of water in his hand, Heyes remembered another time a young Jed was sick…

They had run away from the School for Wayward Boys to stay together when one was about to be adopted and were surviving the best they could with odd jobs.  After a day of work, Han met his younger cousin in an alley and realized how sick he was.  Han had scoped out the livery that he had mucked out all day and they entered where there was a loose board.  Han made a bed in the hayloft for Jed and went to get something to eat.  After stealing soup and biscuits, Han tried his best to get Jed to eat, but the sick boy just wanted to sleep.  The next day, the livery owner found an unconscious child in his hayloft, burning up with fever, and took him to the doctor’s office.  Han stayed with the doctor and his wife, helping with Jed’s care and running errands for the doctor’s wife.

“I had to memorize and read Luke 2 in the church that Christmas because of you.”  A faint smile lifted the corners of his mouth briefly as Heyes wiped the fevered brow of his partner once again.  “It was nice that the church offering went to buying train tickets to a warmer climate for you.  Yep, those were some mighty nice folks.”  

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The second day Heyes maintained a vigil beside his partner keeping him warm, cooling the fevered forehead, and coaxing water into him.

“You can wake up any time now, Kid.  Don’t know why you got sick and nobody else did.  Remember back at Devil’s Hole?  Was that the winter of ’78 when you got sick?  Thought I was gonna lose you back then, you were so bad.  No one else got the grippe then either.  Just you.  Why is it that you’re the only one to get sick?  Huh?”

“Han…ford.”

“Kid?”

“Hanford,” Curry said in a raspy voice.

“Hanford?  What about Hanford?”

“Shot…recov'rin'…sick.”

“You got sick because you were shot?” Heyes questioned.  “Oh, you were still recovering from getting shot during the Hanford job and that’s why you got so sick.”

Kid Curry nodded and ran a tongue over his dry lips.  “Water?”

“Oh sure!  Let me get you some.”  Heyes lifted the canteen up.  “You got it?”

Curry nodded and shakily took the canteen.

Heyes reached out and steadied the canteen.  “Here, let me help you with that so you don’t spill any water on yourself.”

The Kid took a few sips and coughed, motioning with his hand that he was done.

“How do you feel?”  Heyes put his hand on his partner’s forehead.

Curry batted the hand away.  “Terrible.”

“Well, you feel cooler than you have been so I’d say you’re recovering.”

“You’re a doctor now?”

“No, but I could ask Dr. Beauregard in here if you want.”

“No!”  Curry coughed.  “Tired.”

Heyes pulled the blanket up around the Kid again.  “Get some sleep.  I have your back.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The third day in the afternoon, Heyes entered the storeroom with a full canteen and noticed Kid Curry stirring.  He coughed and opened his eyes.

“How you feeling today?” Heyes asked.

Curry thought for a moment.  “Better.”

“You should be.  You slept another ten hours.”  Heyes felt Curry’s face.  “Fever’s gone, I think.”

“That’s good.  I’m tired of just layin’ here for three days.  Must have been a touch of the grippe, huh?”  He sat up, testing himself.  “I feel pretty good now.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.  Let’s get back to the poker game.  Still goin’ on?”  The Kid took the proffered canteen and took a drink.

“Yeah, but don’t be in such a hurry.”  Heyes sat down next to the Kid.  “I think I figured out who stole our gold dust.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

(Both memories of young Jed being sick came from two of my old challenges – March 2009, Bad Things Happen When We Separate and December 2009, Glad Tidings – that you can find at https://asjbuckshot.forumotion.com/f11-challenges)

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter   Dec 19  (In the) Bleak Midwinter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dec 19 (In the) Bleak Midwinter
Page 1 of 1